Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Sodium, How to keep it down?

View Full Version : Sodium, How to keep it down?

HadEnough
03-26-2006, 12:13 PM
I need some suggestions on how to keep sodium under 2400 mg a day. I am close, but 9 days out of 10 I am over. I know to stay away from pre-packaged foods, lunchmeat, etc. But, my god there is sodium in everything! There is even 139 mg of sodium in a boiled egg! Help! It has come increasingly clearer to me that I need to get a handle on this, because when I don't, the scale does not move. When I am close to 2400, it moves.

pavellina
03-26-2006, 01:46 PM
check the sodium quantity of the water you drink...
there are some water with low sodium inside but many have got a certain quantity in.

veggielover
03-26-2006, 02:28 PM
most veggies are really low or have NO sodium in it at all. I'm usually a bit fan of natural, blander-than-packaged-foods- tasting foods. You'll find that if you eat fresh or cooked veggies, you'll avoid sodium easily. (and, you get less cravings for food!)

deleted
03-31-2006, 09:22 AM
HadEnough, I wouldn't worry too much about sodium. True "water-weight" from too much sodium WILL drop off you. It might take a couple of days but it will. Just don't get on the scale for a couple of days after you've had really salty stuff; you'll get upset when it's not real weight-gain, and you aren't really gaining weight if you're keeping your calories down where they should be. Unless you have high blood pressure affected by salt or heart failure, the latest studies from the JAMA/March show no reason to limit salt (as shocking as it sounds!) Good luck with your weight-loss program ... :-) Salt, in itself, has no calories so you can't truly gain weight from it!