Old 03-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: ?/250/160

Height: 5'6"

Default The "S" Word

"Sugar" I mean. I found it listed on the ingredients of my V-8 juice! Aaarrrggghhh! I'm usually a conscientious label reader, and since the front of the can says "100% Vegetable Juice" I thought I was in the clear -- but then in tiny print it says "with added ingredients." Usually I can tell by taste if something's got added sugar, but I would've had no idea about the V-8. While I am restricting my sugar intake by choice, not by absolute necessity, it still irritates me that so many products have the S-word added. Evil, evil food manufacturers . . . .

Guess it's time to invest in a juicer. *sigh*
dustdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 11:07 PM   #2  

Have you read Fast Food Nation and Fat Land? They both talk about the politics behind our food supply. Very very interesting!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #3  

Yes, Mousie, I have read "Fast Food Nation" -- it was an eye-opener. That, plus "Supersize Me" have put my family off McD's!

I'll have to look for the "Fat Land" at the library.

I like the quote @ the end of your post, by the way.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:03 AM   #4  

Ick, Supersize Me was an experience, wasn't it? I wasn't that into fast food before I saw it, and the movie clinched it!

The Victoria Moran quote is actually from a book I'd recommend, look for that one at the library too. It's called "Fit From Within". Worth a read. And lessofsarahtolove is around here somewhere...
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #5  
it's always something

My v-8 doesn't have sugar listed as an ingredient. The nutrition panel shows sugar grams, but sugar occurs naturally in the vegetables. The added ingredients are salt, citric acid, and vitamin C.

How weird! I wonder if the formulas are different in different parts of the country, based on the processing plant it came from.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:44 AM   #6  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

ok, so you made me go check. This is interesting. My can of original V-8, sugar is not an ingredient. My can of essential antioxidants V-8, sugar is an ingredient. The comparisons are interesting.

V-8 vs. essential antioxidants V-8
Cals: 35 vs. 30
sodium: 430 vs 300
Potassium: 360 vs 480
Sugars: 5 vs 6
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:01 PM   #7  

This has been very interesting -- I drink the Low Sodium variety of V8 - the 5.5 oz. can has

cals - 30
sodium - 80 mg
potassium - 570 mg
Total Carbs - 7 g (6 Sugars)

It's like a conspiracy -- "What, you don't want hypertension? No problem, we'll give you diabetes instead!" Sheesh.

Guess I'll take a look at what options the health food store has. Thanks for sharing your input, y'all.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #8  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Have you considered juicing your own? I'm not a fan of the vegetable juices but if youdrink them as part of your regular diet, why not skip the middleman and buy a juicer. They're expensive but probably cost a lot less over time if you're buying juices all the time.

There is tons of added sugar. It is sooo frustrating. I tend to cook more at home once I realized some restaurants inject their meat with sugar to give it more flavor.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:46 PM   #9  
Going to ONEderland

V8 has carrots in them which have a lot of natural sugar. All vegetables have some sugar in them. Carrots have more than most. Corn too, and potatos have starches and sugars.

Added sugar is different than foods where they naturally occur. It is like the difference between foods labeled "no sugar added" and "no sugar". Milk too is a product that has natural sugar in it.

When you are eating low carb, you have to recognize the differences. Low carb eating tries and resists all sugars, but if that means never eating carrots again, I would prefer the benefits of the carrots over worrying too much about the sugars they contain.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #10  

I agree, SherryA, that carrots are healthy, and can't bring myself to think of them as a "forbidden" food. I'm not doing low-carb, but am consciously trying to largely cut out processed sugar & foods with added sugar. The Low-Sodium V8 I've been drinking does, to my surprise, list sugar as an added ingredient.

Jessica, I'm thinking about the juicer option. Fresh carrot & beet juice is so yummy! I do like the convenience and portability of the V8 in cans, though.