LA Weight Loss - New to LAWL and forum HELP!!

View Full Version : New to LAWL and forum HELP!!

cmoody
03-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Hello!

I'm not sure if I know what I am doing.:?: This and LAWL. It took me about 30 min to figure out how to post something. I've read a lot of threads about LAWL. I just started it about 7 weeks ago. I guess I'm doing okay. I thought it would a major loss but I did not gain it over night so I guess I can't lose it over night. I gained 2 pounds during the first 2 Take-off days. Go figure? What are all the color plans (red, blue, etc.). I don't think I'm on one of those. I don't do the lites becaue of IBS which has recently turned from loose to none. I have to drink that herbal tea or I will gain from lack of movements. Is this all normal? I eat 2P, 2S, 4V, 3Fr, 1D, adn 1F. It doesn't seem like much and my weight it coming off slower than I had hoped based of the commericals. The cost was a lot more than I expected. $600 I guess since I could not eat the lites they stuck it too me. I don't do any of the pill stuff either. Should I? The money keeps me motivated. I want half of that back when I lose it all. My goal date was July 15. Soryy this is long I just have so many questions. Thanks to all that reply.:)

emmysmom
03-25-2006, 09:12 PM
First off...welcome!!!! Second, in no time at all this forum and your plan will become second nature to you...honest!

As far as your weight loss...14 pounds in 7 weeks! You're doing great! Give yourself a pat on the back for all your hard work.

The plan that you are on is the color of your booklet that the center gave you...purple, maybe?
You're eating less which will cause your movements to be less...this is very normal with alot of us. I take flax oil capsules or EFA's (essential fatty acids) which you can buy just about anywhere...they really help me.
The cost of the plan is high but well worth it.

Now, you need to just relax, enjoy reading the threads and getting to know all the wonderful chicks on here! They will become your closest friends and biggest support system.

cmoody
03-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for your quick reply. I looked and my book is purple. I never knew there was a diffrence. How long have you been on the plan? Any tips?

rad7775
03-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey cmoody:

:welcome:
Here you will found the support that you need and day by day you will find more and more info that is gonna help you a lot. 14 lbs. in 7 weeks is very good.I think you are in the purple plan.I am on the purple plan too but with lites. I do the pills and I like them a lot.Girl, take it day by day.

emmysmom
03-26-2006, 08:59 AM
I have been on the plan since the end of August, but I kinda slacked off when I hit the 150's back in Nov. My counselor finally told me that I obvioiusly became "comfortable" with where I was at, and although I have every right to be happy about what I lost, I needed to decide if that is where I wanted to stay or continue on to reach my goal weight. So I kicked things back into gear and I'm losing again. I also did this plan and lost 20 pounds to reach my goal weight about 4 years ago...before I had my beautiful baby girl who just turned 2 on St. Patrick's Day.

As far as tips...try to plan your day ahead of time. That works for me. Sour ice breakers help when I want a "free" snack. Coffee and tea help me feel full. Make short-term goals for yourself rather than looking at the long-term goal as being so far away. Make this a lifestyle change, not a diet. It really becomes easier to make the right choices as you begin to see and feel a change in your body.

By the way, you can do this plan and be very successful without the lites or any of the supplements. But I would suggest "Barlean's Flax Oil capsules" which you can buy on-line for a decent price...I take 3 with dinner every day....and maybe a multi-vitamin. Other than that, you don't need anything else.

Hope this helps!...Oh, and my last tip is to stick close to this forum because these ladies will become your lifeline to success!!!

Boo'sMom
03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Welcome. You will find lots of great information around her--I sure have. Check out all the threads where you can finds answers, recipes, support--everything! Your loss sounds completely normal--2 lbs per week is perfect for longterm loss. In addition to the EFA or flaxseed oil and multi-vitamin you may want to throw in some calcium since you only get the one dairy. I am on gold with lites (which is where I assume you would be if you were doing the lites) the purple is just a little more food to make up the difference. You will see lots of reference to book color and each color has slightly different food amounts based on weight, exercise, etc. Hope this helps--keep asking questions--someone around here will surely know the answer or have some advice to share. Good Luck

angelica1674
03-26-2006, 09:28 AM
But I would suggest "Barlean's Flax Oil capsules" which you can buy on-line for a decent price...I take 3 with dinner every day
I started taking flax oil capsules cause you said they helped you and they seem to be helping me.I take two in eve with my other pill and vitamin. The bottle says 1 before each meal(so that would be 3)but I thought you said you took 2 at once so thats what I have been doing.So should I take 3 instead of 2??

marbear
03-26-2006, 10:21 AM
cmoody, 14 lbs in 7 weeks is GREAT. Be realistic about your expections and don't be disappointed!

The slimdown trick is keeping my TO weight off, so I'm glad to find that tip out.

Repo girl
03-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi, and welcome! I, too, have IBS, and do not do the bars. I totally agree with the other girls, EFA's have saved my life. I buy mine from the center, though. They are $20.00 a bottle, but they do a better job for me than other brands I have tried. I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I would also suggest bumping up your herbal tea to a caffinated tea in the morning. I think that I would go through a painful "dry spell" if I did not get my morning coffee or tea in, because the caffine helps to stimulate my digestive tract. Lastly, be sure that you are getting all of your water in every day, and your 1 one little fat. These all play big factors too. Good luck, and ask away, these chickies know all there is to know about LAWL!!

marbear
03-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Slacking on your veggies will make it really hard for you to go, too. It's amazing how much difference those 3 veggie servings make if you don't get them.

emmysmom
03-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Angelica,
You can actually take whatever works for you...3 seems to work best for me, but if 2 works for you, that's fine. I figure by the directions, you can have up to 9/day which is alot!

cmoody
03-26-2006, 07:12 PM
I read where someone does the take-off part of the program every 2 weeks. Is that a good idea?

emmysmom
03-26-2006, 07:14 PM
You could, but I don't. I find that TO really helps me with my cravings and to get me back on track. As far a weight loss, it helps, but then I tend to stall the next few days with my weight loss...so I don't know if it really helps me or not.

cmoody
03-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Is there somewhere to view LAWL food diaries on this site? I would like to get an idea of what others eat. I find myself eating the same stuff.

Boo'sMom
03-26-2006, 07:40 PM
It's on page 2 of all the threads, called "March 2006 Journal Entries"

cmoody
03-26-2006, 07:46 PM
Thanks but I need a little more help. I clicked on the journals tab at the top then I got lost. I see where people have posted things but no LAWL diaries.

Boo'sMom
03-26-2006, 07:53 PM
oops--we'll try again. It's still in the LA Weightloss section. (Not at the top of the page, it's not a tab--it's just like the Friends and Losers link) If you go to the bottom of this page and click "go" it takes you to all the LAWL threads, the March Journals are on the 2nd page, about 3/4 down. If you click on that you will be able to scroll through and see people's daily dairy. Hope this helps. I, too, tend to eat the same things so I totally understand.

cmoody
03-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Found it! Thanks. This will give me some ideas. I'm glad it shows their plan. I did not know until yesterday there are different colored plans. I'm very new to all of this.

Boo'sMom
03-26-2006, 09:39 PM
You've found the right place. The information from these gals is invaluable! Glad you found the entries--it helps to see what others are eating for ideas. What color are you on? I am gold with lites

cmoody
03-26-2006, 09:47 PM
I am purple with no lites. 2p 4v 3f 2s 1f 1d How do they decide your color? I've done a high protein low carb diet before and it worked until I gained it back. I wonder if I'm on the right one. I don't know about the other colors though. How long have you been on LAWL?

Boo'sMom
03-27-2006, 08:03 AM
There are others who probably know better about the colors. With purple you are only getting one more vegetable per day than I am plus I am having the lites so it doesn't seem you are getting much for your weight but you are losing a lot so what do I know. I have been in a stall for a long time now--maybe I need to be reduced!! I've been on the plan 12 weeks and WAS averaging 2 lbs per week until recently and it's driving me crazy--even though I am more POP than ever! UGH

Anyone have any advice on this?

marbear
03-27-2006, 08:18 AM
cmoody, are you from north alabama? I'm from Russellville.

cmoody
03-27-2006, 03:20 PM
I live close to Birmingham. You're in Texas now?

marbear
03-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Yes, I live in TX but I'm from AL originally.

peanuts
03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
how can i find more about lawl programs??peanuts

Repo girl
03-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Peanuts- What would you like to know?

cmoody
03-27-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm down almost 2 pounds since Monday. I thought I was stalling out since I did not lose much last week. I was going to talk with the counselor about changing plans or TO if I had not lost any. I met a lady tonight at the ballpark that is in maintenance. She said sometimes she had to cheat a day and then her weight would start coming off again. I too afraid to cheat. Mine weight would go up without a doubt.

mujiboston
03-27-2006, 10:48 PM
i am not doing the lites, but every once in a while, i want to have a luna bar. what should i count it as? 1P and 1S? what do you think? Also what does it mean when they scrible stuff on your chart when i am off plan? is this their way of not going my 50% back when i am done?

thank!

marbear
03-27-2006, 11:06 PM
I've thought a lot about how to count a Luna, and even though I just count them as Lites I think 1/2p plus a starch would be close to right. Most gold proteins are 200 cals or so, and most starches rae 40-80. Having said that, if I were going to a center there is no way I'd do it without asking first or they will surely ream you. Maybe the la at home nutritionist would know how to count the Lunas...

chsgls
03-28-2006, 07:30 AM
I know that LAWL is not the same as Weight Watchers, but I was told when I was doing WW that if you didn't eat all of your points that your body goes into starvation mode and will hold onto its weight. Sometimes just shaking things up will start the wt. to come off again. There is even a special plan, not approved by WW tho, that has you eating different number of points each day--somedays it is almost double. So, I wonder if our bodies do become complacent when we are on the same plan for week after week.
Cheryl

Boo'sMom
03-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Cmoody--although I won't "encourage" you to cheat I have found this to be true for me. I think it comes down to what Cheryl said above about changing things up, which is exactly what my center is having me do right now. I do believe the body becomes complacent. I am a creature of habit and it caught up with me. So right now I am trying to eat different foods at different times to shake it up and it seems to be working. I am also subbing a shake for my 2nd bar. I have really slowed down in the 20-25 lb range so I'll try anything to get going again. I also agree that you need to eat all your servings (just like the WW points) or your body puts on the brakes.

Muji--no clue on the Luna's--sorry. You are probably right on the chart writing--ask to see it--just like a medical chart--it's YOURS! I always look over her shoulder--can't resist

Repo girl
03-29-2006, 11:59 AM
The "cheat meal" theory has worked for me many times. Weird, but true.

slowlyshrinking
03-29-2006, 03:49 PM
I've been trying to have a day a week where I choose only higher calorie choices - pork or steak, chicken as well. It's amazing, but on my lower calories days on Red, I can be down around 1000 calories, but on a higher calorie day, it can be 1600! So, once in a while I pick one day to stay on program, but pick those higher calories choices. It seems to work for me!

cmoody
03-30-2006, 11:00 PM
I was up 10oz. Wednesday. FOR WHAT? EXTRA LETTUCE! I'm having pizza tonight. I'm not cheating for a day but 2 slices of pizza for supper. I weigh Friday so I'll see how it goes. At least if I gained some it will be worth it instead of gaining for no reason. I heard it takes 2 days for your food to catch up with you if your going to gain. I let you know if cheating one meal was worth it.