Exercise! - 500 Mile Biking Challenge

View Full Version : 500 Mile Biking Challenge

busker
03-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Who'd like to do a 500 mile biking challenge with me?

I bought a bicycle last week with the intent of commuting to work whenever the weather's decent. So far I've got 18.8 miles on it (I have a little odometer for it). While it's not one of the higher calorie-burning activities, it's still exercise, it's "green" (i.e. no gasoline expenditure), and it's a great way to just get moving.

When I was a kid, I flipped over my old odometer at 10,000 miles. While I don't anticipate the same amount of free time in the summer to be exploring every side-road in the county, I figure I'll still be racking up the mileage riding to work and back (10 miles round trip), and any biking I do on the weekends, and 500 miles should be fairly attainable.

Stationary-cyclists welcome too! :ebike:

--Janis

ArtsyGirl
03-24-2006, 06:32 PM
I'm in!!!!! I won't be doing much riding til it gets a little warmer here. I've been spinning, but really can't get an estimate of mileage from those classes. I guess let me know if you need everyone to start logging miles right away, cuz there's no way I'm going out in the SNOW I see from my window.

EARTH2TERRA
03-24-2006, 08:01 PM
I Would Love To Be In Too! I Dug Out My Old Mountain Bike Spiffed It Up A Bit And Now All I Need Is The Motivation. I've Done A Couple Of 5.5 Mile Trips In The Morning Before Work And That Fits Right Into My Schedule. I Work 30 Miles From Home So I Doubt I Will Be Biking To Work Or Logging Quite That Many Miles But It Sounds Like Fun Any Way. Whats The Plan Do We Log In And So Forth?

Hotcupojava
03-24-2006, 08:06 PM
I just started a 100 miles in 100 days challenge through my work and I've been doing the majority of my mileage on my new recumbent bike. This sounds like a LOT of fun! :carrot: In fact, my BF custom made a keyboard tray for my computer, so now... when I'm on line, I'm pedaling my bike! Great! Great! Great! May I join in?

Java Turtle

AKA: Mary in WV :^:

curlylocks
03-24-2006, 08:22 PM
hmmm I have bike sitting in my livingroom collecting dust... let me think this over!

spcdcider
03-27-2006, 08:31 AM
I would like to join this maybe have my kids do it also, but will not be able to start until later in the week. Along with walking challenge I will be a busy girl. Kathy

busker
03-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Welcome all! Sure, just log it in when you feel like. I'll be tracking in my signature thing. I have a "cat-eye" odometer on my bike, which keeps track of trip mileage, trip time, average speed, and an overall odometer - it's pretty nifty. I rode into work today. Michigan - I hear you! I used to live in Rochester NY. 40 miles each way to work, and snow from October 5 until Father's Day. Blah! So now that I'm out of that, I'm going to use it to my advantage!

It's been in the 40's and windy in the morning here - which really isn't as cold as it sounds. Once you get going, you work up a sweat. My biggest obstacle is asthma, which the cold/dry air sets off. But now that I've got an inhaler, it's not an issue. (I wasn't going to get a prescription refilled just for cat allergies, but I forgot this other aspect of my mild asthma, so it's good to have.) Over the past week, the work has definitely gotten easier, riding outside. I know my average speed has gone up from 9 miles an hour to 10.7, so I'm obviously not huffing and puffing up those hills in low gear like I was.

Sure - bring the kids! If you can get them a cheap little odometer, I'm sure they'd have fun with it too! You can have them log their mileage, and teach them to read a map, all about road-safety, etc. Family fun and education for all! Unfortunately, my bicycle map has all the ice-cream stands marked out too! ;)

So blow off the dust, and get out there and start cycling! It certainly gets easier, once you get back into it. My butt's still sore, but I'm assured that will go away once I get into shape and start putting more of the weight on my legs (doing the work) instead of sitting all my weight on the seat. (Not to mention if you lose weight, that'll help too).

--Janis

ThisGirlsLosing
03-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi Janis!

I'm in!

I ride my recumbent stationary bike every other day and have a record of my miles for March - 81 miles with 3 more 60-min workouts to go. Not bad for being 340lbs and having been a sometimes-exerciser!

I'll start logging my miles for April here.

Yay for biking! :-)

ArtsyGirl
03-29-2006, 01:19 PM
We've got a sunny day here in MI today. I just got home from spinning, but I think I might get out on the road after the neice and nephew get picked up! I'm sure it'll be a little chilly, but if nothing else being out in the sun will make me happy!

sf40
03-29-2006, 02:40 PM
Hi everyone!

I'd love to join this challenge! :bike:

My husband and I have mountain bikes and try to ride every weekend, though because of work and other commitments, we only go for about an hour and it's been less frequent than we'd like. But I have recorded our time and distance since January and we are getting faster and thus going a bit farther in the same amount of time.

I take spinning classes occasionally and may see if I can adjust the stride length on my pedometer in order to get an estimate of my distance per class. Sometimes I ride a stationary or recumbant bike at the gym, but I strongly prefer outdoor cycling, so most of my challenge miles will be from my rides with hubby.

Yay! Another reason to push hubby out of bed early in the morning on the weekend! I will track my miles in my signature. If no one has any objection, I'd like to add my miles from the four rides we've taken since January (yeah, off to a very slow start ...)

ArtsyGirl
03-29-2006, 04:07 PM
Well, no ride outside. I've got 2 flats, and an suv full of car seats so I'm going to take hubbys tonight and get those tires filled. Maybe it'll be nice again tomorrow. Either way I've got another spin class in the morning. Wish there was a way to figure how many miles those add up to!

busker
03-29-2006, 11:11 PM
No problem - add on wherever you want to start from. It was a beautiful 60 degrees today! I like getting out in the sun too - being outside enjoying the sun before and after work makes the day seem to go by faster. I think I don't get enough sun, personally, and it makes me irritable. It's definitely helping with the seasonal depression! Also, it seems to be the kind of different exercise/shock my body needed to get off my plateau. I'm down another lb - yay! :bike:

--Janis

sf40
03-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Either way I've got another spin class in the morning. Wish there was a way to figure how many miles those add up to! Wouldn't that be great to see how many "miles" you go during a spin class? Regular stationary bikes tell you that; why can't the spin bikes??

I tried something this morning that might work. I lowered the stride length on my pedometer and clipped it onto my sock, inside against my calf. I pedaled on a stationary bike at the gym for about 5 minutes, then compared the mileage on my pedometer with the mileage on the bike and it was fairly close. I adjusted the stride length again and got closer. I want to try it again next time I'm at the gym just to see. Then I'll wear the pedometer during spin class to get an estimate of my miles.

Went about 5 miles on the stationary bike in 20 minutes, but think I will begin recording that April 1, separate from my outdoor miles.

Janis, congrats on losing another pound! Hope it continues and you're off your plateau.

busker
03-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Well, I guess go with however you feel you can keep track of mileage.

Unfortunately (for me) my pedaling rate is constantly changing. When I'm on a hill, I use a lower gear, which means I'm pedaling more for less distance. And then there are the hills I coast down where I'm not pedaling at all (still adds distance) so I'm not sure how the stationary/spin bikes calculate mileage given all the factors that go into a "real" road course, as mileage would be calculated by the circumference of the wheel, rather than the resistance/speed/pedaling, etc.

But, this is more about doing the exercise and having a measurable goal, so do whatever works for you! :carrot:

I'm so happy! I found a "short-cut" around that steep hill in my route that made me get off and walk. There's a dirt truck-path that goes around it over an out-cropping next to the interstate highway - probably for highway maintenance/lawn-mowers or something - VERY far away from the highway/road, and up about 50 feet. But it's a very mild hill, and goes right around the big one I was taking on the roads. The only catch is it's a dirt path through a grassy field - so it's a good thing I got a hybrid bike after all! But it's a mild enough incline that I don't need to get off the bike to do it. I wish there was a nice dirt-path the whole way along the interstate - then I wouldn't have to bother with traffic at all! (I live directly off of one exit, and work directly off the next one 5 miles away).

--Janis

sf40
03-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I've thought about that too. I suspect stationary bikes use a formula based on the rider's RPM and resistance. I figure if I can get the pedometer to match the stationary bike, it's at least a rough estimate. ;) Though I don't know why I'm concerned as I don't take spin classes very often, usually only when I miss my weekly outside ride. :dizzy:

ArtsyGirl
03-30-2006, 06:58 PM
I had a wonderful ride outside today. Definetly enjoyed our spring weather! 8.25 miles, and the only problem was the fresh gravel they have spread on the dirt roads. About half my ride was over very unstable, deep gravel. Not the most fun, but I made it and fealt great afterwards.

Sherry if you figure out a pedometer fix for spinning let me know. I do spinning about 2xs a week, and not sure I want to switch to only outside for the warm weather. I know I work A LOT harder in the spinning classes than I do on my outdoor rides.

Ultimategurrl79
03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
will the posts stay here on this thread? i am TOTALLLLY in!! i LOVE my bike - really I do. i havea great odometer and everything (and my bike is a trek) - It's supposed to rain tomorrow. :-( BUT i am SO getting my bike out this weekend.

is there a "deadline"? for this?

busker
03-31-2006, 02:44 PM
Deadline? Uh... I suppose whenever you get to it. I figured I'd try to make it by the end of the summer/biking-season, if I could.

As for the fresh gravel - I hear you. I used to live in the Fingerlakes region of Upstate NY, and they would regularly "tar and feather" the road. It wasn't too fun until it got packed down. It was unstable when I'd ride my motorcycle, stone chips would get kicked up from vehicles in front of you (hitting you if you were on a motorcycle, bike, or breaking the front window of your car after having it replaced from the LAST time they gravel'd the roads)... it really sucked.

It's such a gorgeous day today, I'm seriously thinking of charging a couple hours to personal time, taking off from work and going down to one of the paved bike trails to go on a ride just for fun (as opposed to commuting to work). :bike:

--Janis

Ultimategurrl79
03-31-2006, 05:10 PM
hahaa - i know that sounded like a "weird" question...but i'll just make one for myself - i work best with "deadlines" - as in making sure I get in 500 miles by my birthday (august 29th). just a personal thing. Although I'm DEFINITELY getting my bike out and about on sunday. i got home from work at 3 today but my friends are picking me up here in an hour (it's 4 p.m. here now in Indianpolis) - and we've had plans to go out. Tomorrow I work til 2 and right after work my friends and I are going shopping...but sunday is MY day alllll to myself - I am SO excited too because it's supposed to be 70 degrees and sunny here in indy - and ya'll have NO idea how long i've been waiting for these sunny warm days!!! I honestly think i have mild seasonal depression - i HATE winter (yeah - and i live in indy! lol) but anyways - this Sunday - it's me, my bike, and Eagle Creek Park. I can't WAIT!!!

ArtsyGirl
03-31-2006, 05:30 PM
No ride for me today. We've got lots of wind in preperation for some storms that are supposedly on the way.

My hubby is buying his new mountain bike tomorrow!! Maybe we'll do the trail on Sunday. (family obligation on Sat. but thinking about taking the bike over and getting my dad and hubby to go with me for fun)

Ultimategirl-I have a Trek also. (Mountain bike) I absolutely LOVE it! Hope you get your out on Sunday!

busker
03-31-2006, 06:20 PM
I have a hybrid (characteristics of a mountain bike & a road bike) by Giant. I think Giant actually makes frames for Trek, if I recall. Yeah - today's pretty much shot, and tomorrow will be rainy, but Sunday is supposed to be sunny and warm!

--Janis

ArtsyGirl
04-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Hi guys-got in a short ride with my family yesterday. Hubby loves his new bike (he got a Giant Iguana-I'm gonna call it the big lizzard just to mess with him) We'll see what I can get into today! Have a good one.

busker
04-02-2006, 03:30 PM
You could call it Gamara or Godzilla or something. :-)

I have a Giant Cypress DX. I'm sure there's a dirty joke in there about riding around on big wood, but I'm classier than that. (not) :D

--Janis (Going out for a pleasure ride right now)

sf40
04-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Sherry if you figure out a pedometer fix for spinning let me know. I do spinning about 2xs a week, and not sure I want to switch to only outside for the warm weather. I know I work A LOT harder in the spinning classes than I do on my outdoor rides. tofat, haven't been on the stationary bike with the pedometer again. But I went to the spinning website and it claims that most participants "travel" about 15-20 miles in a 40 minute class depending on their cadence. Hope this helps you estimate your "distance" in your spinning classes.

Today got in a short but fun 30-minute ride. Hope everyone has a great day!

busker
04-03-2006, 12:05 AM
I went out today... for a whopping trip mileage of 37.81 miles! Ouch! About 20 of those miles were on a bike trail, so at least it was nice pavement, nice scenery, and graded. Now my knees are sore, though. Not a bad-knee-problem sore, just a quads-meet-knees sore.

Talking to one of my other friends tonight, he said the benefit to having toe-cages or cycling shoes that clip into the pedals is that you can use the hamstrings as well as the quads, because you can pull on the up motion and drag your foot horizontally, too, so you're using your muscles for the entire revolution, instead of just the pushing motion. I'm not sure what this does to your energy level, but somehow I imagine it helps your endurance, and gives you a better workout because you're using multiple sets of muscles instead of just your quads. I think I'll look into some. I've been wondering what the point was, other than to be a cycling geek in spandex with all the gear. :bike:

--Janis

Ultimategurrl79
04-03-2006, 12:22 AM
ok, im sooo totally wanting to get out on my bike!!!
last night i ate SO much pizza (i think i had 80 points yesterday. :-(
and a friend came over and we talked until 7 a.m. - so i slept til 4 p.m.!!
plus, it's supposed to rain ALL week here! grrr!!!

i WILL start riding sooon!
til then, i'll just keep reading about your lovely bikerides! lol

sf40
04-03-2006, 05:28 PM
It's raining here today and I went to spinning class during lunch. Class is 60 minutes with a few minutes of off-the-bike stretches at the end. I seem to be in the middle of the pack as far as cadence, so based on the info I got off the spinning website, I'm going to say I went about 24 miles. I was soaking after class and definitely worked harder than I do when riding outside with hubby.

Janice, I know what you mean about "cycling geek in spandex." We have those biking shorts and the padding in them does help the rear end. But hubby always puts regular shorts over them because he feels so silly in the spandex. The spinning bikes have toe cages and I can feel my hamstrings work more than without them and my quads don't feel so worn out. Plus, you can pedal harder and faster without fear of your foot slipping off the pedal. That's happened to me and it is not fun.

ArtsyGirl
04-04-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi guys-I've been looking into bike shoes and had planned on getting a pair of mountain bike ones. Well, the bike catalogs are now showing biking SANDALS. I'm wondering if I would like those better. It'd stay nice and cool and I rarely ride in cold weather. I wish they had some in the local shops so I could check out more than a picture.

No ride for me again due to some big wind and a bad cold. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do spinning in the morning. Guess I'll see tomorrow. Have a great one.

busker
04-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I just ordered 3 mesh padded liners to wear under shorts or other clothes. You can pick up unpadded spandex shorts (if you're so inclined) just about anywhere, cheaper than at the bike stores and wear them over the liners. (Or, capris, shorts and other stuff - or whatever pants you already own). www.teamestrogen.com has plus-sized liners and cycling clothing for us "less in shape" chicks, too... although it seems I'm something like a 3x when normally I'm a 1x elsewhere... *sigh* But it's a lot closer to my measurements than most of the bike clothes I've seen for what looks to be women the size of 11-year old girls.

But, after my long bike ride on Sunday and my sore butt yesterday, I'm ready to invest in some sort of padding. Ironically, my chiropractor says cycling seems to agree with me, and it's not knocking out my hip alignment or screwing up my back. (But I've been going to the gym and strengthening my erector-spinae muscles for a few months too). Aside from my leg muscles being sore, my shoulders were a bit sore as well as my abs. So, it's not just my legs getting a work-out!

Sandals vs. shoes - I'd go with shoes. Sandals on bikes aren't a great idea - usually people tell you that, but I can tell you from experience. When I was a kid, it suddenly started raining, and of course all the oil on the road washes off in the first couple of minutes... into the gutter. I was crossing a side-street, and down I went - skidded about 15 feet on my bare ankles. NOT a fun experience, nor the infections and recovery time it took after that. I'm just lucky I didn't break something, too. Basically - you can never predict an accident, but you'd like to be somewhat protected.

Mountain-biking has a lot of sticks, rocks, poison ivy and stuff. When I prepared for hiking Mt. Washington 3 years ago, everything I read said "get hiking boots, not sandals" and told me to wear long jeans, not shorts because it keeps you from getting scuffed up. Also, you probably want to wear some kind of socks so you don't get stinky sandal-feet, or blisters. It's not quite the same as a liesurely walk on the boardwalk. ;)

Ultimately it's up to you, but I'd suggest erring on the side of safety and being a little bit hotter. (Then again, I'm used to wearing 3 layers of wool and a polyester powdered-wig in 96 degree summer heat playing my fife for fun... and rarely wear shorts).

I think I will look into some cycling shoes. I only slipped off the pedals a few times, but yeah - I think I'd prefer to share the burden with my hamstrings instead of just winding up with sore quads and foot-arches.

--Janis

ArtsyGirl
04-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Silly me never thought about the practical side of protection on the trails. I'll stick with the mountain bike shoes. Just gotta get my butt in gear and go get them.

As for the padded bike shorts, I've succumbed to wearing them and now can't imagine not having that added protection. Makes rides a lot more comfy.

Had to cancel on spinning due to bad cold. I'm very disappointed, but hopefully will be able to go tomorrow.

busker
04-05-2006, 05:44 PM
I got some mountain bike shoes yesterday - $10! They were store-brands on clearance (At "decathlon" if you have that sports store near you), and feel just like my sneakers (only stiffer in the soles).

Decathlon's some British store, so all the store-brand stuff is in European sizes, but for some reason we have a store in Massachusetts. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/index.html I don't see the clearance ones here, but if you have an outlet nearby - check 'em out. I also got some cleats and the pedals with the clips for them.

I tried putting the pedals on myself, but apparently those nuts on the pedals are REALLY hard to loosen. 340 lbs/inch of torque - eek! So maybe I'll suck up the $7 charge for the bike-shop to change my pedals for me. (Or get a length of tube for my wrench...) But also each pedal is threaded differently, and the combination of steel/aluminum makes it prone to stripping... so I'd just assume get the bike shop to do it afterall.

It's SNOWING today, can you believe it? Wah!

--Janis

busker
04-06-2006, 04:06 PM
I brought my bike down to the shop so they could put my new pedals on. They did it nice 'n quick and didn't even charge me for it! Woo hoo! I felt guilty, because I bought the pedals somewhere else, but it didn't seem to bother them. Remember when local stores were small and about service? :)

--Janis

ArtsyGirl
04-06-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm so jealous of the deal you got on your shoes!!! Let me know how you feel now that you'll be "CLIPPED IN" I'm still a little nervous about that aspect. I felt well enough to make it thru the 45 min. spin class this morning. Think I'm back on track. Hopefully get more biking in this weekend.

busker
04-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Well, on the suggestion of the guy at the bike store, I've been leaning against a doorjam practicing getting in and out of the clips. He adjusted them to the easiest setting, too, so it's easy to get in and out. Then when I get the hang of it, I can tighten the springs if I'm so inclined. Mostly it's a matter of figuring out where the pedals are (in relation to the shoe-cleats) and how to engage them in the first place (getting your feet OFF the pedals seems easy enough). Now, to engage them while trying to starting up across a street and paying attention to other stuff...

Since the weather's going to be crummy until Sunday anyway, I won't be able to commute until at least next week, so I figure I'll take Sunday to play around with the clips out of traffic's way. I also found out that narrow-gauge trail extends a lot closer to home than I originally thought, so that's cool. :) (Also, it's not nearly as busy as the big bike-trail, so I won't be as prone to crashing into rollerbladers while trying to figure out how to get off my bike).

All in all, they're a LOT easier than I thought they'd be. I was kinda scared they'd be hard and I'd get stuck on them, but it's not hard, just a matter of getting the feel where they are. It's easier to get out than it is to get in.

Yeah - the bike shop owner said I got a great deal - you can't even get regular shoes at Wal-mart for $10! :bike:

--Janis

ArtsyGirl
04-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Good to hear the clips aren't so bad. Good luck when you practice outside. I'll be at the bike shop tomorrow picking up the wheel I dropped off this morning. Maybe I'll try some shoes on again. I seem to keep putting off buying them. Raining out here and getting COLD again. YUCK! We'll see what the weekend holds. Hubby has a duathalon on Sunday so he'll be riding regardless. I have to work Sun. morning but maybe in the afternoon I'll get out there.

sf40
04-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Hubby and I finally got out for a ride this morning. We went for about an hour along the river trail and got in 13 miles. Not too bad considering hubby is exhausted from work and hasn't biked in several weeks. In addition, a storm is coming in and as we rode towards the ocean it was against a pretty strong wind the entire way (but going inland was nice!)

After paying attention to the effect of the toe cages on my legs, I really noticed how tired my quads were today. We don't have cycling shoes or special pedals on our bikes. They are actually pretty old mountain bikes (~ 10 years) with hybrid tires. We're saving up for road bikes with pedals that clip to cycling shoes and hope to really add speed and thus distance to our rides. But I'm kinda tempted to get shoes and pedals now until we can get new bikes.

There were a lot of "bike gangs" on the trail this morning. Talk about geeks in spandex ... :D I especially like the gangs that wear matching outfits!!

Janice, thanks for sharing in such detail your experiences so far with cycling shoes and clips. Glad to hear it's not as bad as you expected, and I am sure it will help us when we get around to taking that step ourselves. Hope your weather improves so you can commute.

tofat, hope your weather improves, too, and you're biking today!

wwpeggy
04-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Okay it's 4-9-2006 and I'll do my best! We currently live in the city with no where to ride so we're selling our bikes at a garage sale next Saturday but I'll use the exercise bike while I'm watching baseball.

ArtsyGirl
04-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Just got back from a nice ride. I can't wait till the new gravel gets crushed down. Most of my rides are on dirt roads cuz I enjoy the lack of traffic and being more out in the country. It is a beautiful day out here. I wish I didn't teach this afternoon. Then I could stay out and play. Oh well, off to clean up before students get here.

busker
04-10-2006, 03:31 PM
I tried replying yesterday, but my computer crashed (argh!)

Selling your bikes? Wah! I know how tough it is to find opportunities (and places) to bike in the city.

Yesterday (Sunday) I did 30.5 miles! I went on all the "off-road" trails this time. That is, the "proposed" bike-trail/rail-trails that haven't been paved yet, but at least have a dirt path through the woods (and negligible grade!). Except for 2 spots of 6" deep mud (with no way around) it was relatively pleasant.

Speaking of the mud - a tip for those of you with the cleat-shoes - if yours are like mine, you have holes that go right through the soles so you can mount the cleats. Then on top of that (inside the shoe), you have your regular shoe-liner foam thing. Mine came with this adhesive piece of paper or something to seal it off. I should've taken it to heart when the sales-clerk at the sports store said, "it mostly keeps the water out." I think I'll try duct-tape over the paper this time. While I didn't get soaked, water did make it into both shoes when I had to get off and walk through the mud. (I tried riding, but it was getting hairy. Rather than end completely down in the mud, I opted for just my feet.)

It's a good thing I had (long) jeans and the shoes on, because I would've been scratched up good and probably bitten by ticks and bugs from the swamp, too. (ew!) But, I got to see the back-side to the suburbs and hear what birds and frogs lurk in New England. It was really something, considering I've lived here for 4 years now, and don't know what the local birds and frogs sound like, because I've always lived near the highway or been in busy places. It was really nice, getting out in the woods. It's knowing that there's naturey-places near home that make me a little less homesick for my old house in the fingerlakes.

I made it 30.5 miles without cleat-incident. But by the time I got home, I was spent, and brain-foggy. I pulled right up to the front of my apartment, took out my right-foot, and started leaning the bike to the left, forgetting to remove my left foot. Down I went onto the grass... right where all the dogs relieve themselves. :p At least it wasn't the poo-area. Needless to say, everything went right into the wash when I got upstairs.

Other than that one minor mishap, I didn't have any issues with the cleats, and I was on and off the pedals probably 100 times throughout my trip. It really did make a difference though - whenever I'd get tired going up a hill, I'd remember, "Oh yeah - I can use OTHER muscles, too!" So I'd "pull" myself up the hill instead of pushing. Also, being "attached" to the pedals didn't feel weird - in fact, it felt really good.

When your foot isn't attached to the pedal, you're only able to use your muscles to drive the crank around from about 1 o'clock to about 5 o'clock (or less) because (not being attached) you can't really slide/drag in a horizontal motion, and you can't pull up. You're limited to a down-push. Being attached allows you to do work on 100% of the rotation, and using both legs to help each other out. My muscles don't hurt much (if at all) today, whereas last week my quads were killing me the day after. Also, my knees didn't bother me once yesterday (which they do when it's all pushing).

As for my new padded shorts - I wore them under my jeans. While it didn't feel like they were doing a whole lot over the bumpy off-road paths, I don't hurt (sitting at my desk) today, so they must've been working!

--Janis

busker
04-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Today was beautiful, but I didn't get up in time to ride to work, and I had to be at a meeting... so, I came home at 5 instead, and went for a ride. :D 129 miles down, 371 to go! If I can keep this up, I'll hit 1K by the end of summer! (something tells me I won't be so enthusiastic when the weather gets hotter and I've got too many parades each weekend... but I can try!) :bike:

--Janis

sf40
04-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Oh, I'm jealous of both tofat and Janice who can ride on dirt/gravel trails close to home. We have to drive miles to do that. Oh well ...

wwpeggy, aren't there trails that you can ride? We live in a very dense, urban area of O.C. and do most of our rides along river and creek trails. Sometimes we ride along the beach, but it's much more crowded with pedestrians, skaters, strollers, dogs, etc.

Didn't make it to indoor cycling class yesterday, in fact didn't do any exercise yesterday, so I'm adding 20 minutes of cardio to today, Th, and F. Because cardio machines really bore me, I generally split my time between two or three machines. So today I spent 20 minutes on the stationary bike. I did the "random hills" program and set the resistance level to medium to get my heart rate up. According the the counter on the bike, I went about 5.25 miles.

Hope everyone has a terrific day!

busker
04-11-2006, 07:02 PM
You can try the trail-finder at http://www.trails.com/trails.asp to see what's in your area. Other stuff I've been finding by surfing google-earth and http://maps.google.com to see where there are some interesting paths around the area. It still feels pretty urban around here to me, though.

I think the only reason there ARE options around here are because everyone is so health-nut crunchy-yuppie. But even if the rail-trails weren't around here, I still made a pact with myself that I'd get my money's worth out of my bike. I bought it with the intention of commuting to work, or riding on the roads, and only after the fact found the trails.

Apparently my mom got a bike similar to mine, and has only ridden it 3 times. I didn't get the more expensive Cannondale, because I figured, "Let's see if I can stick to a commitment to ride before investing more into something more expensive." So far, I've got 129 miles on it, which isn't bad, but that's still about $2.75 a mile. ;) (Not including all the add-ons and stuff). When I've got about 4400 miles on it, it'll have paid for itself.

My car gets 30 mpg/$2.50 per gallon = 12 miles per $1.00.
12 miles/$1.00 * $360 for the bike = 4320 miles.

So those of you who own cars with worse gas mileage than mine, your bikes will pay for themselves sooner! ;)

--Janis

ArtsyGirl
04-11-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi guys, I just got back from a nice evening ride. Just about 10.5 miles. I go on much shorter rides than you! The gravel is getting pretty compacted on the route I did today so that was nice. I ride pretty much only on roads here. I haven't gotten out to the mountain bike trail yet but hope to do so soon. I guess the benefit of living in the boonies is less traffic on the roads so I'm more comfortable riding.

Janis-I love your reasoning for paying off the bike. I work out of the house so cant really implement anything like that. My hubby would love to do that but works about 45 miles away so its not an option right now.

Have a great one! Happy pedaling.

busker
04-12-2006, 01:11 PM
It's definitely harder to go father on "real" roads. The rail-trails absolutely spoil you, although they seem to have helped a bit, as they've encouraged me to go out for fun and distance.

I got to work (the tough hilly route) in only 27 minutes today, as opposed to 45+ minutes 2 weeks ago! Woo hoo!

--Janis

ArtsyGirl
04-12-2006, 05:12 PM
Way to go cutting your time down!! That's awesome. Its windy and rainy here so I did TurboKick for my workout. The sun poked its head out for about 5 minutes and I thought about a short ride. Thankfully all I did was think cuz soon after huge wind gusts started and more rain wasn't far behind. What a blah day!

Ultimategurrl79
04-12-2006, 10:06 PM
YAY!!! today was absolutely GORGEOUS outside - although it was windy - which sucked...but it was just so beautiful otherwise!! so i FINALLY got out on my bike and i rode 8.7 miles today!! :-D just needed to post!

ArtsyGirl
04-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Way to go Ultimate girl!!!! It was beautiful in the midwest today. Unfortunatly I am to busy for a ride. Glad you were able to get out there!

busker
04-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Awesome! I'll live vicariously through you guys, since the weather has been hit-or-miss today (rain, sun, rain, sun...) and I didn't get out. I'm going to go to the gym after I give a fife lesson though, so I can keep up with the strength-training too. :carrot:

I was "outted" by one of the other regular gym members who works at the same company as me. "I haven't seen you around lately!" "Oh, I bought a bike." She agreed biking is a good alternative, but I promised I was going tonight, so that's the extra push I needed to keep on top of that aspect. ;-) I've been trying to go to the gym at least once a week to get my money's worth there, and to keep on top of the weights (although I've been ignoring the cardio stuff in favor of the biking the rest of the week). Maybe I'll go swimming tonight, too. I think I've had enough of a "break" that the gym isn't feeling like a chore right now. (It was really starting to drag me down, which is why I GOT a bike to mix it up and keep me interested). If I hadn't found the bike alternative, I'm not sure I'd still be "with the program" right now.

The bike's definitely helping though! I'm down to a solid 218.0. No 218.8 or 220 or anything above! So, I've taken a couple of feeble steps in the right direction off my plateau. I'd worry that it's because I haven't been lifting as regularly, (and the weight change is muscle loss) but I've only been making strength gains every time I go back, so I can't imagine that would happen if I was losing muscle. I'm also noticing my legs are changing shape, with all the biking. Not a bad shape at all - just different from what you get playing with a hack-sled and gym machines. It's a much longer, shapely set of muscles, instead of one big muscle poking out here, another one there... the slightly less natural muscle-tone of someone who uses specific muscle-targeting-machines.

--Janis

sf40
04-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Considering that I am a weekend bike rider only, don't have anything thrilling to report today. Though I did ride the stationary bike yesterday and today for 20 minutes of "random hills" each time. Yesterday I increased the resistance and went only 5 miles. Today I decreased it and went 6.

It is raining right now and I really hope it stops tonight because I want to ride tomorrow. Need to get outside! I don't care if it's cloudy, just want to exercise outside and see the "scenery" along the nearby river trail.

sf40
04-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Happy Saturday!

Had so much fun this morning! Hubby took today off; he's been sooo busy at work and working Sat. mornings to get caught up but decided to take this whole weekend off. So we got in our ride this morning. It had rained all night and the river trail was wet and muddy. Then about half-way into the ride, it started to rain. But it wasn't a heavy rain, just enough to make it fun. We had hats and jackets and were prepared.

Updated my biking challenge info below. I'd like to get 500 total miles by the end of summer (April-August or so). And would like to get 500 outdoor miles for the year. This way I can track the two separate goals. We got in 13.5 miles today and 13.0 last week so we're off to a decent start for April.

Janice, I am impressed that you are commuting to work. As a kid, I rode my bike everywhere but I am scared to death to ride on the roads around here. It's so crowded and there are so many terrible drivers here that it's just not worth it. That's why my outside riding is limited to weekends when we have time to put the rack on the car, load the bikes, and drive to a trail somewhere. When the days get longer, we may be able to take short rides on weekdays. Good job on reducing your commute time!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! :smug:

busker
04-16-2006, 01:55 AM
Great job! I tried taking the rest of the "Yankee Doodle" trail (our town's name for the the "Narrow Gauge" dirt rail-trail I've been taking into the neighboring town) the other direction into my town center... unfortunately, it's not even close to finished as the part I've been traveling. The rails & ties are still down in parts, and it's covered in hawthorns and other spiky brush. Guess it's not going to be open this spring as was planned a few years ago...

The day's weather improved after that (it was kind of cloudy and humid then) but by then my mood was shot, and I wanted to do some other stuff, but it was a nice 6-mile trip to get my metabolism going for the day. I plan on doing some distance-riding tomorrow. Not sure where to, though. Perhaps I'll take the Narrow Gauge to the Minuteman to the Charles-River trail and check that out.

--Janis

abnrmlisme
04-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Id like to join this thread...I'm going to buy a bike tomorrow & plan on cycling everywhere !! Work, friends houses etc. I plan on putting 6-8 miles minimum on my bike daily.

busker
04-16-2006, 11:13 PM
Sure thing! I got my bike a few weeks ago with the intent of commuting, too, but I've been doing a lot more!

Today I did *gag* 55 miles! Ouch, eek, och... Now to soak in a hot tub for a few minutes before going to bed so I can get up bright & early and do two "Patriot's Day" parades in Lexington & Concord (MA). That is, if I can still walk! :bike:

--Janis

abnrmlisme
04-16-2006, 11:48 PM
As long as the weather is nice I plan on cycling as much as I can. I'm not much for walks, well not now I am bc its so hard on me being heavy. I used to walk all the time. I love cycling & its a exercise I can stay enthused about. I will have my bike in the next day or so. I cant wait !!! :carrot:

sf40
04-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Today I did *gag* 55 miles! Wow!! Hubby and I are gradually working up to a 25-mile ride (we really are wimps ...) but probably won't get there until some time in May. Hope you're walking today. :^:

Today is sunny and breezy and would be nice for a ride, but because of time constraints had to settle for a quick walk around the neighborhood after my lower-body workout. Anxious to ride again soon!

abnrmlisme
04-17-2006, 11:56 PM
I got a awesome mountain bike today, practically brand new for 70 bucks. The guy didnt want it simply bc it had a tiny dent somewhere (I dont see it). He paid 300 for it. I'm so stoked !! Has a place for a water bottle & has 21 speeds. I rode 3 miles on it. I though the last mile would kill me. LOL :stress: But I made it & I'm proud of myself ! I made a mini goal for my self. I hope to reach it by the end of May.

:cp: :goodvibes

carla49
04-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi all, I'd like to join the challenge too. (I saw the thread when it was first posted, but there was still snow on the ground here...) Last week I went for the first ride of the season. It was gratifying to realize how much easier the first outdoor rides are when you spin thru the winter! (Although I've slacked off this last month, the old training effect is still there.) Also great to not need to break in the butt - usually the first few times out are excruciating. I always wear bike shorts or capris, partly for the padding, but also because I don't need undies with them and hence don't have that awful panty elastic cutting into my butt cheeks.

I've read the whole thread, and wonder how those of you who bought clip-ins are liking them. I have hybrid shoes (bike/walk) and I attach the clips for the spin classes. But I'm too much of a wuss to clip in outdoors, so I use them with baskets outside. The shoes are still a good idea as the soles are stiffer and easier to ride with.

My goal is to hit 1000k (600 miles) by Labour Day. I didn't count my ride last week, so am still at 0. If I do a spin class I think I'll assume about 25k, since I can easily do 20 in an hour and pedal much more frantically and further when spinning. My fingers are crossed for a less muggy, hot summer than last year.

I've been overeating and underexercising for about a month and have put back between 7 and 9 of the lbs I lost. I really hope this challenge kick starts some more positive behaviour!!

busker
04-18-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm going to break up the sections of this post with titles since it's so long and you don't need to read it all if you don't want. ;)

Welcome all! :hug:
------------------------
3 Miles - good for you! That's about what I was able to do my first time out. Ouch! Somehow I don't remember those little hills being that tough when I was a kid. But, I've been seeing steady progress, as long as I push myself to go out and do it. Getting to work is getting easier (and that's the "tough" route for my week, complete with hills, a little off-road mountain-biking, some speed/road-biking, and a clock I'm racing against!)

I sobbed to myself the first couple of times out, as I was having asthma attacks, my butt hurt, my legs hurt, etc., but like the other gym work, I seem to be adapting. In fact, my weight-lifting & gym workout has improved significantly, even though I haven't been going as diligently!
------------------------

What my heart's been doing throughout all this:
------------------------
As well as pushing my butt through 55 miles (albeit it was a REALLY "easy" 55 miles, taking all the low-grade paved rail-trails and relatively flat path around the Charles River) I wore my heart-rate monitor for the first time (while biking). After the first 10 minutes, it's like, "No WONDER this is kicking my butt!" I was averaging a 145-160 heart rate! It seemed to level off at about 130-135 for the duration, only climbing to 150-160 when I did hills, but it's still a whole lot more than that puny 124 I couldn't get past on the treadmill!

I had to run like my butt was on fire on the elliptical to get it that high (145), and the elliptical seemed hard to me! My Polar watch said I burned over 3000 kcal's that day. While I can't take that at face value (as you need to replace a lot of it, or you'll have difficulties later while trying to repair muscle, etc.), it felt good to be able to tell people I rode 55 miles AND did 6.5 miles of parades the day after. ;)
------------------------

Oh yeah, that diet part of diet & exercise:
------------------------
And I was able to "cheat" a little and have those steak-tips, strawberry shortcake, and some pizza. Today it was back to the chicken & salad, but it was nice to be able to eat some of the quasai-forbidden foods, because I knew I'd burned it off, and actually NEEDED some of it. Apparently doing that much biking you need to replace some of the sugar, because you spent most of your reserves, and you'll need the protein & minerals in red-meat for red blood cell & muscle repair. Pizza? Because I was really hungry, hadn't had pizza in a long time, and didn't feel like cooking after 2 parades.

I also think my body was craving salt, as well as sugar, from what I could tell. Everything tasted really salty to me, and for once, I didn't want diet soda - I wanted WATER. The diet soda was, "eh," and the water was like, "That's the stuff!" For as big a soda addict as I am, this was interesting to me.

Since I've been doing the eat right & exercise thing so diligently for the past 4.5 months now, it feels easy to slip back into the chicken & salad mode, and I actually have no guilt about the other stuff, because it was almost like taking medicine. Sure, I enjoyed it, but I was specifically looking for something with more calorie impact, so it was kind of "prescription" food. It was also eye-opening, because I realized, "You know, I used to eat like this every day, twice a day. But I was sitting at my desk all day, not burning 3000+ calories pushing myself up hills..."

Also... it all just TASTED better. I seriously think it's because my body was really craving the ingredients in it. I actually have a number of food allergies, and things that don't agree with me. But I've found that the harder I'm working out, and the more calorie deficit I produce, the better things agree with me. I can eat onions, eggs, etc. without any negative effects, if my body NEEDS the stuff in onions or eggs. If it's just surplus, my body rejects it right away. I just digest everything better when I'm working out hard.
------------------------

Clips & Cleats:
------------------------
The clips help, I think. It isn't a noticeable difference, but I'm averaging higher speeds, I have alternatives to climbing hills (whenever I'm spent and I have to do a hill, I just "pull" instead of push), and your feet just kind of feel... "right" in the same position all the time. I'll be searching for the clip, just pushing with my foot to get across an intersection until I find my way to the clip, and when it snaps it, it's like, "Yeah, that's the right place." Granted, this is assuming your bike, pedals and clips are set up correctly for your body. (I've been reading a lot, and following instructions for properly setting up the bike for "fit", and I think it's helped).

I'm finding most of the bicycling "gimmicks" seem to have a worthwhile purpose, although I still have a hard time accepting spandex pants. ;) I wear the underliner shorts with the padding (under my jeans), but I'm just not comfortable with my weight enough to go out in public wearing spandex tights. And as for shorts, I'm so black & blue up and down my legs from the pedals and stuff that I'm not all that interested in showing off those, either. (Not painful black & blue - just getting off and stopping at an intersection and bumping pedals or wheels, etc. from straddling the bike)
------------------------

--Janis

carla49
04-18-2006, 03:27 PM
There's nothing like joining a challenge to get me out there exercising! Today I rode the bike to my doc appointment, 17.5km total. Only 982.5km to go. :rofl: There are lots of bike paths around here, and from May 1 to Labour Day there's a parkway circuit that's closed to cars on Sunday mornings. Of course that means getting up at a reasonable time... Three summers ago a friend talked me into a bike trip, about 300 k over 4 days; maybe we'll do something like that again this summer.

abnrmlisme
04-19-2006, 12:20 AM
I did 2 miles today. Not much, but I just started biking after years of not doing it. My thighs & back & feet were just killing me. LOL But I did it. Tomorrow I'm taking bike riding off. :)

ArtsyGirl
04-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Hey guys, sorry Ive been AWOL. Been a busy week. I'm finally going to spin class after a week not being able to get there. I can't wait to get my butt kicked!!!! It is beautiful out here, but the day is pretty jam packed so not sure about getting a true ride in today.

Welcome to all the new people.

Busker-55 miles!!!!! You are awesome. Great job girl. AND you made it through your parades! You must feel so STRONG!!!!

Check in later. Need to get dressed for the gym!

abnrmlisme
04-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Did a mile today...This is my third time out...My legs and thighs just BURN when I ride...How long will this last...I can barely make it through the last part sometimes....But on the plus side it gets my heart rate going & my breathing a little harder..Yeah I'm out of shape...But I'm working on it !!!

sf40
04-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey Dawn, I can't really answer your question because I've been biking pretty much all my life. But like anything new, you will get used to it. I promise! Meanwhile, try changing gears to make pedaling easier. Or slow down a bit. Before you know it, you'll be going on long bike rides and will hardly feel it.

Hubby seems to be done with working Saturdays for a while ... so I am thinking that we may be able to get out both days on many weekends. But we'll get in at least one ride per weekend for sure. Looking forward to this weekend and plan to add more miles on to what we did last weekend (ideally, in the same amount of time).

Yesterday went to spinning class. Boy, I sure like those toe cages and think I'm gonna ask for clipping bike shoes and pedals for my birthday, which is in a couple of weeks. Brandy, it looks like we have almost the same birthday; mine is 5/4.

ArtsyGirl
04-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi all-I got in a 12 mile ride with hubby this evening. It has been a beautiful, active day for me. I did an hour spinning class this morning, went to the batting cage for 15?? minutes, walked around the 4 mile block, and then went for the bike ride. The weather couldn't be more perfect than it was today. Kinda makes you sad to come inside.

Sherry-Pretty cool having birthdays so close. Growing up the month of May held about 15 extended family birthdays on 1 side of the family. It was wild. I still haven't bought my shoes and clips so I've added them to my birthday wish list.

Dawn-The only time my legs burn are on hills cuz its flat as can be where I live so I barely ever ride on them. Hang in there. Your body will adjust pretty quickly. You're off to a great start.

sf40
04-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Good afternoon and happy Saturday!

This morning hubby and I went 14.25 miles, which is .5 more, in the same amount of time as last week. So we're getting a bit faster. Of course, no rain and mud to deal with today, but it looks like another rain storm is coming in and we were going against a very strong wind as we rode towards the ocean.

Now that hubby seems to be done with working Saturdays, at least for a while, maybe we'll get back to riding both days. Typically we'll do one day on the river trail where we can go faster. That is what we did today. On the second day, we like to ride along the beach itself. The scenery is much nicer, but we have to deal with many more distractions such as tourists, pedestrians, strollers, little kids on bikes, dogs, etc. So we go slower and usually only get in about 10 miles in an hour. But it's fun, and a fun exercise is one that we will do!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

sf40
04-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey, where is everybody??

It rained last night and the clouds were gone this morning. Was so clean and fresh that we were riding by 7:30. This time, we went to the beach and rode along the shore and the scenery was great. Today, could easily see Catalina Island which is about 26 miles off the coast. Could also see San Clemente Island in the clouds, which is about 50 miles. Due to the air quality (pollution and coastal haze), don't see Catalina too often and I've seen San Clemente only 1 or 2 times.

busker
04-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Sorry - busy week last week, which is too bad, because the weather was gorgeous! (And this weekend and today it isn't...)

"Did a mile today...This is my third time out...My legs and thighs just BURN when I ride...How long will this last...I can barely make it through the last part sometimes....But on the plus side it gets my heart rate going & my breathing a little harder..Yeah I'm out of shape...But I'm working on it !!!"

Biking is a little different than your other cardio/aerobic exercises that just wind you. Those are using your slow-twitch "endurance" muscles to just keep trudging along, and use fat stores and the like. Anerobic exercise (weight-lifting, building muscles, etc) uses fast-twitch "hard, quick work" muscles to do a lot of work all at once. Those tend to use sugar as a source of fuel. When you hear people say "feel the burn!", this is what they're talking about - your body stores some "quick fuel" reserves of sugar, and when you do this hard fast-twitch muscle exercise, your body releases that sugar for fuel, and it feels sore. If you can push through it, it will subside after a few minutes.

Since biking (outside) is less predictable than a stationary bike, it's different than your typical aerobic lots-of-breathing but not-much-strength exercises. When you get to hills, you're doing a lot of anerobic (strength) exercise. Your heart-rate may elevate, and you're breathing hard, but it's brute-strength more than aerobic.

When you lower the gears so the work on the pedals is easy, but you're spinning quickly, this gets your heart & lungs moving, and doing that aerobic activity.

When I was a kid, I used to ride EVERYWHERE in the highest gear possible, and yeah - if I hadn't ridden in a while, my legs hurt. My second time around (now) after 15 years off, I've been doing more reading on the subject, and have learned the "art" of gear-shifting, which has also had the nice side-effect of my chain not falling off every few feet.

The goal in gear shifting is to keep your cadence (pedaling rate) consistent. Keep it relatively easy, but even. Then when you get to a hill, you don't want to have to work your legs harder - you shift the gears lower so the work you're doing pushing on the pedals is the same, and your rate of pedalling is the same. The concept I had to get over is - YES, you WILL lose speed - you can't keep your speed up the same on a bike as though you were driving a car. When you go DOWN a big hill, and the pedalling gets too easy, then you shift up into the bigger gears, again, trying to keep the pedaling and work rate about the same as your flat-surface work & cadence.

It did hurt for a week or two, but I'm noticing I'm getting MUCH stronger, and every time I go out, it doesn't feel so bad. On Saturday, I wound up doing some off-roading down by the river, and up and down hills in the woods and on the roads. When I approached the hills, I got this sinking feeling - "Ugh... that one's going to SUCK!" but once I did it, it was like, "Well... that really wasn't that bad after all." I know a month ago when I first went out, I would've had to get off and walk up that same hill - so it shows I HAVE improved a lot! And like my friend said, "There's no shame in getting off the bike and walking it up over a big hill."

So keep at it! Remember - the burning is just your body burning sugar-stores. If it doesn't burn it, it'll just sit there and eventually go into long-term storage anyway - and that's what we're all trying to avoid at 3-fat-chicks. I know it's uncomfortable, and I know back when I was 250 lbs and had never done a day of exercise in my life (7 years ago) after 5 minutes on a treadmill my legs, lungs and chest hurt so bad, I thought I would die. But each time I pushed through it, and each day I did it, it got easier. It still amazes me remembering in the first week at the gym, my friend coming over, worried I'd have a heart-attack, and asking, "How long have you been on here? Have you been running hard?" "*pant* *gasp* 5 *wheeze* minutes! *pant* 2.3 *chug* miles *pant* an hour! *wheeze*"

We've all been there to some extent, and I know it's frustrating when you want to ride your bike as much as everyone else, but it hurts. I promise that if you keep at it, though, you'll get stronger and it will get easier! You won't bulk up like a body-builder, and you won't get thunder-thighs, but you will build nice, tight, strong muscle. And those fast-twitch muscles will help you on future hills, and will burn calories when even you're sitting on your butt! So they're definitely beneficial. :) (You're definitely doing aerobic fat-burning activity too, but biking is a strong combination of both).

Keep at it!

I rode my bike down by the river through the woods on Saturday. I don't remember the mileage (not much) and it wasn't a very productive ride, but now I know it's a fairly easy ride (despite the hills on the roads) to the bridge to go over the river to the other side and explore. It was a crummy day and rained later anyway, so it was good I didn't wander too far from home, but still got out for an hour or so.

My birthday was on the 20th. The bike-fairy didn't bring me anything. I ordered a gel butterfly seat and tried that (Saturday) but I actually like the saddle that came on my "comfort" hybrid bike better. It might have been an improvement over racing bikes or something that comes with a hard seat, but the one that came with my bike is a very soft foam & spring seat, and wide in the rear. The butterfly might have broken in, but it really wasn't as off-the-shelf comfortable as the other one, so I returned it.

In past years, my boyfriend & I would play some mini-golf and go to the batting cages for my birthday, but this year I got out of work too late, so it was dark, and too cold for outdoors at night. Also, I'd played a softball game Wednesday night at work, so I was sore from that. (More so than any of the 55 miles of biking or marching!) So, we played pool instead. We felt bad for the bar-bimbettes in their mini-skirt finest, because we were almost the only ones in the whole place (probably 20+ tables), and we didn't come in to drink. We just... played 5 games of pool. :) (And no, he didn't let me win because it was my birthday... we both won 2 games, and then he won in the final round). The problem was he hit too many balls in the pockets (including some of mine), and I didn't hit enough... ;)

--Janis

ArtsyGirl
04-25-2006, 08:39 AM
Hi guys-Haven't ridden in a few days, but hubby and I have a bike date tonight weather permitting. Yesterday really wanted to go, but forced myself to get some projects done that need to be delivered today. Thats out of the way now, but the weathers supposedly going real cold tonight. Cant wait till things even out temp. wise.

Janis-I visited your site yesterday and was somewhat dumbfounded by your dog. I have a aus. shep./chow/lab mix who looks SO much like your dog!!! The markings are a bit different, but colors and expressions are very much the same. Have never really seen another dog so similiar to my darling Fozzy before. Happy belated birthday! I've got one in a week, and pretty positive the bike fairy will be delivering shoes/clips/pedals. I'll let ya know.

Have a great day!

ArtsyGirl
04-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Where'd ya'all go?? I had an awesome spin class yesterday and another scheduled for this morning. Haven't ridden outside in awhile-time and weather. Hope you are all out riding and having fun.

sf40
04-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm around! But I was also wondering what happened to everyone else who joined in???

Sadly, we don't bike during the week. "Nowhere" to ride in our neighborhood. It's a typical suburban tract neighborhood with lots of cars, etc and we prefer to ride on trails that don't share with cars. Although hubby is not working Saturdays now, he's still working pretty long hours and often doesn't get home till after 8:00 or so. So no time to go somewhere to ride in the evening. But weekends are better than nothing! :)

I went to spin class yesterday. I enjoy that a bit more than other indoor cardio (really don't like indoor cardio ... blech). The one thing I don't like is the mirrors all around the room because I look particularly fat in there. Well, I guess that's incentive to keep going ... in the hopes that one day I won't look quite so fat in all those mirrors!

ArtsyGirl
04-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi Sherry-I dont particularly like riding on the roads around here, but have my entire life, so I still continue to do it. (Plus to get to any decent trail we need to drive about an hour)

Spin class is definetly my favorite indoor cardio although I enjoy cardio kickboxing too. My legs are killing after yesterdays class! (I actually like that feeling-twisted I know) I'd just rather have a great workout and feel it a bit the next day than have a lousy workout.

Its nice that hubby and you go out together. We sometimes go together, but I'm slower than him (He's an amateur triathlete!) I make him switch to his mountain bike to slow him down a bit. We do enjoy our rides together no matter where we end up going.

Well, have a good one, and hopefully we'll hear from some others again!

carla49
04-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Just a quick look-in. I haven't been on the bike at all this week, and won't for at least another week. Cold, rainy weather, and also I'm away on business with no wheels. So I haven't deserted the thread, just had nothing to report. Brandy - I envy you your spin classes. I haven't been in a month and really miss it, but I have any number of good excuses... Mainly that I'm out of town so much.

Keep on peddling!

sf40
04-29-2006, 05:05 PM
Happy belated birthday, Janis!

Hey Brandy, do you feel like your spin classes help you with speed/endurance when you're really biking? Sometimes I feel like I am going so fast and effortlessly in class, even with fairly high tension, but when I really ride it's a lot tougher. Of course, we ride mountain bikes (saving for road bikes) so that might explain it. There are some people in the classes I take who race, so spin classes must help.

So your hubby is an amateur triathlete! Do you ever think about training with him and competing? That is a secret desire of mine -- to compete in a triathlon. The only problem for me is that I hate to run. But I love to bike and swim. Well, there is another problem: I am still out of shape though things are improving. Maybe as I get more fit I can think about it. How far is each segment of a triathlon?

Today hubby and I rode just over 15 miles in about an hour. For some reason, it was a tough ride for both of us. My theory: the cheeseburgers we had for dinner last night (I know, I know!). There were a few "bike gangs" on the river trail this morning, most of them passing us. What really shamed us was the "roller-blading gang"; although they were traveling in the opposite direction, I am pretty sure they were going faster than us. Sigh.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

sf40
04-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Today we rode bikes along the beach. Got a later start than last week and it sure was crowded. Lots of joggers and walkers. Hubby and I agreed that we need to get an earlier start to enjoy rides along the beach; was too much like an obstacle course today.

Another thing happened and this just annoyed the :censored: out of me. The trail along the beach is like a mini-street with a dashed yellow line down the center. There are signs all over the place announcing that rules of the road apply along with speed limits for bikes, right-of-way rules, etc.

So we were on a fairly narrow bridge heading south. The bridge is still somewhat under construction, which is why it's narrow. As we approached a small group of pedestrians heading north, one of the bike riders behind this group decided to pass them. To do so, she swerved into the southbound lane and practically caused a head-on collision with me. Did she yield to me and drop back behind the pedestrians even though she had time? NO!!! I had to slam on my brakes to avoid a collision. Nothing bad happened, I glared at her, and her boyfriend/hubby/brother/whatever yelled at her afterwards, but it's just so annoying.

OK, sorry for the rant, but I figured my biking-buddies would understand! :dizzy: Otherwise, it was a great ride. Then we had coffee and a cinnamon roll afterwards. :D

ArtsyGirl
04-30-2006, 09:04 PM
:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

Hi gals. I'm having a rough day-I am a church organist. Went to work this morning as usual-played early service, stayed for bible class, played late service. Went to my truck to go home, and someone has smashed my window and stolen my purse. I am still in shock that someone would steal and vandalize in a church parking lot. So, got home, cancelled my personal credit/debit cards and then waited for hubby to get home to cancel all the joint things. As soon a Craig got home we called on the other cards so that was all taken care of within 2 hours of me finding the smashed window. I still can't believe it. I park out near the road and no one saw or heard anything. I hope they BURN for robbing and vandalizing in a CHURCH lot. Hopefully karma will come and bite them in the *ss. I had about $60 cash and a $25 gc card-so not terrible damage, but to replace my drivers license and insurance cards its gonna be a pain. (This will be my 4th drivers license in a year cuz I lost 2 of them in the fall!! The DMV is gonna get suspicious of me soon!) Needless to say I'm having a crappy day. I now am sitting here with a bottle of raspberry wine trying to relax. I'm sorry to rant, but I am still in shock and really in the anger stage of a stress situation.

Didn't go biking, but had a softball practice to work off some steam. I'm trying to relax and will focus on moving on tomorrow. I'm SO angry and I don't like feeling like this.

Sherry-I'm sorry you had such a bad encounter on your ride. Some people are just *ssholes! Yesterday it was brought up how I look for the good in everyone-well today may have been the end of that. I just don't get how some people feel entitled to things without working for them. I work so hard for everything I get, and I don't mind that till now that it has been so unfairly taken away.

Sorry to rant. I really need to get this out of my system. Thanks for listening.

busker
05-01-2006, 01:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your car/purse. :( I kind of chalk up when I started putting the weight back on to having gotten my car stolen. I just didn't want to go anywhere - I'd rather stay locked up inside lost in t.v. fantasy-land or I'd stay at work until really late with the idea in the back of my head that "at least the parking-garage (at work) had cameras and security-guards." I now live in a gated apartment complex, but I still can't say I feel completely at ease about leaving my car in the parking lot each night. (Yet I'm too cheap to rent a garage).

As far as my bike goes, it comes inside with me into my apartment. When I lock it up, I have the biggest, heaviest bike chain I could buy, and take half the bike with me, too. (Seat & anything removeable). I went to a shoe-store the other day, (one of those old-timey village shoe-shops that employs a bunch of elderly gentlemen shoe-salesmen) and the salesman working with me was trying to figure out what was sticking out of my back-pack. "Oh - it's your bike seat. You carry it around with you?" "I don't want it to get stolen..." "I didn't think of that." I probably wouldn't bother if it wasn't quick-release. But again, my experiences tell me I should be ready for it if/when it happens. My mom's bike was stolen right out of our garage in broad daylight when I was a kid. :p They left another bike there instead. We found out that one had been stolen earlier. So at least one person got their bike back... But the garage door was open, and such things happen. :p

People asked why I didn't have a car-alarm or security system on my Cherokee, too. I said, "Well, back in rural Western NY, snow was a bigger problem than car theft, so I never even really thought about it." I don't even see why they picked my car over other people's - it was the most bare-bones basic standard-shift model they came in. You'd think there were cooler cars than mine around...

My dad (also a church organist - BTW) tends to lock himself up way too much. He expressed concern over my personal safety while biking out alone too, but I don't think being agoraphobic like him is the answer, either.

I've been out of touch lately, just because I've been way too busy at work, finishing up a semester at school and trying to get in some biking when I can, as opposed to putzing on the computer in my free time. I went for a ride today and Friday, and managed to get to the gym (once, anyway) on Monday, so that's something, although I feel like I've been slacking and falling into old patterns. :(

--Janis

sf40
05-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Brandy, so sorry to hear your truck was broken into and your purse stolen. Losers like that, they don't care where it is. In fact, it may have been even more of a thrill to break into your truck and steal your purse because it was in a church parking lot. I hope they get caught.

It's really sad that we have to worry about people stealing our stuff. Why can't they just work for it???? I hate thieves! The only thing that I've ever had stolen that I care about was my wedding ring. Grrrrrr.

Janice, your story of taking your bike seat into a shop with you reminds me of a classmate several years ago who rode his bike to school. He brought the seat with him to class and set it on an empty desk. The professor just kept staring and staring at it, then finally asked what it was. We all knew what it was and why he brought it to class, but it was funny.

I know how you feel about falling back into old patterns. When I get busy, working out is always the first to go. Good luck with finishing the semester and hope you keep up on your exercise. If nothing else, keep up the good eating habits; may be a bit easier to control than getting the optimal amount of exercise.

ArtsyGirl
05-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Morning gals-I haven't been out riding lately. I have spin class today and a softball game tonight. It was pouring out yesterday but looks like we might have a nice one today.

Thanks for the sympathy on my stolen purse/broken window. The window is fixed and most of the replacement on cards/license stuff is complete. I'm working hard to move on emotionally.

Sherry sounds like you've had some awesome rides with your hubby!! Glad someones been able to get out!

Janis-It's so cool your at the half way mark!!! Great Job!!

sf40
05-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Happy birthday, Brandy! :hb: :balloons: Hope you can "forget" about Sunday's incident for a while and enjoy your day. Any special plans?

I've just been plugging away at my weight and cardio workouts. Today I plan to attend the indoor cycling class. I think am getting competitive because I find that I enjoy trying to "keep up" with the racers in the class.

Hope the others are so busy riding and having fun that they have no time to post! :carrot:

ArtsyGirl
05-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Hey Sherry-I pushed yesterday in class-my goal was to keep my spin the same speed as the teacher throughout class using the same tension scale I usually do. I'm usually at a slower cadence and really struggle to kick it up, but I DID IT!!!! I was so beat and happy at the end. SO, that competitive thing sometimes is good to have. I've got another class today.

Have a good one.

ArtsyGirl
05-05-2006, 09:16 PM
I got my shoes/clips/pedals!!!! I haven't fallen yet. They're not that bad to get used to-at least so far so good. Have a great night.

sf40
05-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Yeah for shoes/clips/pedals! I can't wait to get some!

Today hubby and I rode bikes along the river trail. We went a bit further than last week, about 16.5 miles. Each week we add distance but try to maintain the same time.

However, today's time wasn't too good because hubby's bike was giving him problems. About 2-3 miles into the ride, one side of his front brake started rubbing against the tire. We kept stopping so he could adjust the cables but that didn't seem to work. Then he tried riding with the front brake completely disabled for a while but wasn't really comfortable doing that. We didn't have the proper tools with us to loosen the pad from the thing that holds the pads (don't know the technical term for it). So it took us about 45 minutes to go almost 8.5 miles.

About half-way through, after we turned around to head back, the front brake rubbed through the tire and caused an air-leak so we had to stop and patch it. Luckily we carry patch kits and manual bicycle pumps for air. We haven't had to patch a tire in years so were out of practice. What was nice was that many bicyclists rode by and asked if we needed help or anything. We returned back without any problems. Hubby rode all the way with his front brake disabled but he rode cautiously in an attempt to avoid situations in which he might have to suddenly brake.

So this afternoon he's off to get a new tube and possible a new tire. He's "threatening" to get a new road bike, but he better wait until I can get one, too! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

ArtsyGirl
05-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone-had a great weekend. Watched hubby do a duathalon Saturday. He did really well. Under the time he was hoping for.

Sherry-you asked if I was going to do tris or dues with my hubby. Well, I'm having some huge emotions about this issue lately. I REALLY want to do them. I think it would be great for us to do that together. My problem lies with my body-I had ankle surgery just over a year ago. I had blown out all the ligaments/tendons, and it would give out on me without warning. Well, the surgery went great, rehab was long and painful, but no problems. I was told that my other ankle will probably need the surgery down the line for the some reasons (I have severely sprained each ankle over a dozen times). SO-I want to run, but I am terrified I'll end up hurting an ankle and needing the surgery earlier that otherwise. The big problem is, sometimes I'll run and think its going well and then I'll get home and an hour later either 1 or both ankles will swell and throb-I hate that it doesn't give me a sign when I'm running, so I'd KNOW the limit. ANYWAYS, I AM going to try to start a running program with the intent of trying a sprint triathalon. I was so upset watching everyone race Sat. and not being able to participate so I'm going to give it a try. Wish me luck.

Boy, I hope that paragraph made sense. My brain is just whirling on that topic.

Sorry for the bike troubles on your ride. I hope everything gets fixed up for next weekend. My hubby was out shopping for a new road bike this weekend. He's hoping to get one before his next race in June. He currently has a 20 some year old Schwinn that the wheels keep blowing spokes. Way overdue for an upgrade!

Have a great one.

busker
05-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Eek! Yeah - my front brake rubs on one side slightly, but it's on the metal rim, at least. I've tried adjusting it, but am not sure what I can do. I think it's just the wheel rim is really slightly bent out of shape, or I didn't put it back on right when I last quick-released it, because it only brushes at one point around the rotation.

I try to ask if people need help. I helped a lady on the bike path get her chain loose after it got jammed between the rear frame and sprockets. Mostly she just didn't think to loosen up the quick-release to relieve the pressure of the frame & sprocket. I've got my little emergency kit that I bought with the bike, because I remember when I was a kid I always had issues where I'd run over a thumbtack 25 miles away from home, and would have to take the train back. I've got a patch kit, a frame-pump, and a couple of "leatherman" swiss-army tools made for bikes with all the allen wrenches, screw drivers, things to get the tire off the rim, etc. I've found while doing maintenance at home that it's too small (not enough torque) for things like adjusting the seat or changing the pedals, but it's fine for emergency fixes, or things that would require maintenance on the road. It all fits in a little bag under the seat. They also now have banana-boat sunblock that comes in a big glue-stick applicator thing, too, so I keep in there for when I realize I left home without putting on sun-block.

Yesterday was nice out, but I had a doctor's appointment (far away) so I couldn't ride my bike. On the way there, I was pondering, "When was the last time I got my car inspected?" Eek... apparently I've been riding my bike so much, I forgot! It was overdue in March! So, I went and did that immediately after, before I ended up with a ticket.

There are a couple of good things about a bike. No gasoline, no registration fees (if you don't want to register it), you don't need to insure it, you don't need to license it, you don't pay excise tax on it (a foreign concept to me until I moved to MA), and I doubt you'll ever get a speeding ticket. (Although you can be ticketted... I had a friend who got a failure-to-obey-a-traffic-control-device ticket when he didn't stop at a stop-sign and hit a car...) It was a mild accident, nobody was hurt (just bruised from landing on the hood, the bike a little bent) but he was in the wrong, so he got ticketted. And inspection is kind of left up to the individual instead of having it be yet another money-making scheme for the government. That's not to say I disagree with car inspections or the need for them, I just wonder why you have to pay 5 times to get your car licensed, registered, inspected, excise-taxed, insurance, etc. It would be nice to just have a lump-sum, or with payment-plan options, like insurance does to you.

It seems to me taxes, insurance and the like were all grouped together with the mortgage, when I had a house, so you didn't have to think about 14 different things... Maybe it's not a big deal to most people, but I'm flakey and have a hard time remembering to put on pants before I leave the house, half the time. ;)

Everyone asks me about duathlons and triathlons. The problem is anything involving a bike involves running, too. I can't run to save my life, nor do I wish to. It's just too much impact for my taste, and I suspect I have knee problems that only show themselves when I do impact-related exercises. If they had a bike/swim thing, that might be interesting. Somebody's got to be last, after all. :)

--Janis <-- worst on the swim team for 7 years as a kid

ArtsyGirl
05-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Maybe it's not a big deal to most people, but I'm flakey and have a hard time remembering to put on pants before I leave the house, half the time. ;)

--Janis <-- worst on the swim team for 7 years as a kid

Janis-you just made my day! :rofl: I thought I was the only one. Must be a musician thing! :dizzy:

ArtsyGirl
05-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Got in a nice 14 mile ride last night with the hubby. The dirt roads are finally getting crunched down and rideable!!!! Hope you're all doing well.

busker
05-11-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm doing ok, but the weather hasn't let up. Tonight I'm going to the gym for sure though... I've been slacking too much lately, and I'm beginning to feel some regression... :(

--Janis

ArtsyGirl
05-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Janis-I know just what you mean. Our weather map shows only rain for th the foreseeable future!:( I dont mind riding in sprinkles, but we're talking downpours and storm like wind. We played softball in the pouring rain yesterday. It was cold and miserable at times, but it kinda reminded me of being a kid and getting all muddy and wet. We actually had a blast overall. Hope you got to the gym. At least your using what you're paying for on those icky days. I'm at the gym between 4-6 times a week. Makes me feel better for spending the money if I use it often.

OneKim
05-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Hi everyone!

Am I too late to get in on this? I've been reading the thread, but didn't even want to think of joining until I got my little odometer thingy, which I got last night!

I paced out the main part of my ride, and it came to 2.5 miles one way, so I know I'm doing over 5 miles! I plan on adding alot more, working out a new route in my head, now I just have to ride it and see how 'rideable' it is.

I'm hoping I can ride today! It's raining :( but if it lightens up I'll definately go anyway! I'm rarin to try out my new odometer!

Kim

sf40
05-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey all,

Sorry I haven't posted much recently. Been really tired, haven't been sleeping well, and have made some poor food choices lately. But I've kept up with the exercise and think maybe I'm doing a bit too much for my amount of sleep and my eating. So I took an unplanned but necessary rest day yesterday and today is my planned rest day. I'm making an effort to eat better so I can keep up with the exercise, and the sleeping will just have to resolve itself in time (I hope). I was so tired that I yawned twice during spin class on Wednesday!

Tomorrow hubby and I plan a long ride (for us, anyway), about 30 miles. I am already trying to think of foods to take to fuel us on our ride and I'm thinking: almonds, peanuts, baby carrots, bananas, lots of water. Any other ideas?

Hubby got new tires and tubes for his bike. His were pretty old and getting close to needing replacing, anyway, so at least the timing of the tire tear was OK! He looked at road bikes while he was at the bike shop and the cheapest one he saw was $1000. Oh my. So I think we'll have to do some shopping around. We don't plan to race, we just want to ride faster than we do on our mountain bikes. :dizzy:

Brandy, I hope your training plan goes well. Your ankle problem sounds painful - ouch! Don't overtrain and really mess up your ankle, running isn't worth it (IMHO, anyway). Are there any types of races where you could bike and swim, and skip the running? I would love that, hate to run, too many things jiggle.

Janice, I got a chuckle reading what you wrote about the benefits of going places on a bike. I have to share that I got a ticket on my bike when I was 13 or 14 years old! Yes!! The ticket was for "riding on the wrong side of the street." I had to go to "traffic school" for bike and skate board offenders on a Saturday morning. So there I was, a skinny geeky girl with glasses surrounded by all these long hair boys with skateboards. My best friend and I used to ride our bikes to school and one day hers had a flat. No time to fix it, so we rode double on mine. As we approached the school, we crossed the street, which is why I was on the wrong side. When we saw the cop, she jumped off my bike so I guess I'm lucky that I didn't get written up for that, too! So now you know my deep, dark secret.

Welcome, Kim! Never too late, we're just doing what we can to get in our 500 miles. Look forward to hearing about your rides!

busker
05-13-2006, 12:58 AM
"offenders on a Saturday morning. So there I was, a skinny geeky girl with glasses surrounded by all these long hair boys with skateboards."

Sounds like "The Breakfast Club!" You were such a wild-child, I'm sure. ;)

It's still raining out, but I did go to the gym yesterday, and I got in 14.5 miles on the stationary bike. Ouch! I couldn't adjust it to be like my real bike, so my butt's sore now.

I wish I could say I was getting my money's worth out of my gym membership, but I've been really bad for the past month or so. I need to get back into going 3+ times a week. I was just "burned out" and frustrated, and needed a change. That's when I started focusing more on my bike (because it was a more interesting change) but I miss the gym. It's funny how some of the same people are there EVERY night. You'd think they didn't have a home, because it doesn't matter what night you go, they're still there. I guess those are the people known as "gym rats."

Hi, Kim! Welcome! :hug: Sure - jump in any time. No time limit, per se. Just join in!

--Janis

OneKim
05-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the welcomes! I got in a 9 mile ride this morning! I've found a new route that's longer, less traffic, seems safer and just more enjoyable for me!

Also read about a Bike Tour for AIDS here in CT this morning. When I read the headline to my hubby he said 'so when are you gonna start training for it?' without me saying anything! LOL. I'm glad someone has that much confidence in me! I'll definately be thinking this one over. It's in September...so that's 4 months to work up to it.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Kim

busker
05-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I can't imagine those charity things would be too hard, or people wouldn't do them. Just a plug-away and you'll get it done thing.

This week we're having some sort of "bike-week" where you try to ride your bike (to commute) to work as much as you can. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the weather will cooperate, but I'm going to try to get in a few times via bike.

--Janis

ArtsyGirl
05-15-2006, 08:52 AM
Janis-Here I've been compaining about all the rain we've had, and I just say clips of New England on the news! I hope you're surviving without getting flooded out. My goodness that's a lot of water.

I haven't ridden because of weather. Had some good spin classes, but nothing outside. I've been doing some walking in the drizzle, but get nervous riding in the rain because it gets slick out and combining that with bad drivers doesn't seem like a smart move.

Kim-Welcome! The ride sounds really cool. What is the distance for it? Those offer so much support on event with pit stops and water/gatorade, that you'll be able to do the event comfortably. Good luck.

Sherry-how were your weekend rides? My eating has been less than stellar this past week so I'm trying a no binge pact for the week. I'll be doing my best to stay to healthy foods in proper portion sizes.

Well, have a great one, and hope the rain goes away so we can all get moving again.

OneKim
05-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Hey y'all! Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day! Mine was great!

Yeah, the rain here in New England is driving me crazy too! I watched the sky all day and finally just said 'a few drizzles won't hurt' and took off for a ride! Got in 5.7 miles on a road that seems to be a steady but very slight incline...lol...it kicked my butt!

I'm not sure of the distance total in that race...what caught my eye is that one of the days it's going to be here in my town...25 miles here. I could do that with some training! I just gotta find out how much you have to raise to participate...I don't know ANYONE around here so I'd have a hard time raising money.

Janis, your bike week is probably part of bike safety month! On May, 17th there's going to be a 'Silent Ride' and from what I gather it's at least USA wide. It's a ride that's silent, and preferably ridden no faster than 12mph to honor cyclists who have been injured or killed on the roads. I thought it was a great idea! I wish there was a ride closer to me. I'm seriously thinking about going for a ride at 7 (start of it) that night anyway, just to take part in my own way.

Well, hope everyone is doing well!

Kim

busker
05-15-2006, 05:44 PM
I saw a posting about the silent ride here, too. I'd be afraid I'd get killed doing it, though (all the rain, etc.) Besides... I don't think I usually average much more than 10.5 mph on real roads. ;) Maybe I do - I don't know. On the stationary bike, I did 14.5 miles in 40 minutes, but that was plugging away at it and sweating like a beast. Normally when I'm out on my bike, I just kinda putz around for fun, and I'll get there when I get there. And like my friend told me when I was starting out - "There's no shame in getting off and walking it up a hill if you need to." Those words echo through my head whenever I get to a hill I can't handle, but they're getting fewer and farther between, so I'm getting better!

As for flooding and such, I live on the 4th floor, so hopefully it won't affect me too much. If it does, the rest of you need an ark! :) But yeah - a lot of people's basements are flooding and stuff. That's the problem with housing/soil around here - the soil doesn't leech very well. It's all sandy/swampy clay, so every homeowner seems to have water issues. When I'm rich and famous and can afford a house around here, I'll have one built on pontoons. ;)

--Janis

OneKim
05-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Janis,

either I don't pay enough attention or I'm crazy, but we're not getting as much rain as y'all are! We have gotten alot, but we're not flooding, even though we had flood warnings. And we're right on the coast, seein as we're in a Navy town...lol. I hope you aren't having a hard time of things with all the rain! The most annoying thing for me is I can't ride my bike!!!

The silent ride thing is slow paced, you'd be fine! I understand though not wanting to ride with all the rain! I went during a break in the clouds the other day and hit some puddles...was fun, but everyone might not think so!

No shame at all in walking! It is fun to look back and realize you're not walking hills that you used to have to walk though!

Hope everyone is well!

Kim

busker
05-16-2006, 01:27 PM
*wringing coat out*

And it continues... Yeah, mostly the rain is an inconvenience for me. While the roads have big puddles, it's not that bad around me (for driving in a car). My bike path is probably mushy right now (the one closest to me is dirt and ash, after all), and it's just dark and dreary. When I was at the gym the other day, I noticed a crackling sound in the air. Apparently the air is so saturated with water, that the high-voltage power lines that go over the gym's parking lot were crackling and sputtering!

I mostly don't want to ride my bike out in it because a) it's still "new" to me and I don't want to get it wet & dirty, and b) I have white carpets, and need to bring it indoors after I'm done.

I want to go to the gym tonight, but it's practice night for fife & drum, and we didn't have practice on Sunday (and my parents came to visit last Tuesday, so I missed it then, too). But with all the gloom, I want to go to the gym for my personal sanity. I find it relaxing. Also, I've been slacking off way too much lately. I haven't gone to the sauna, steam room, pool, or jacuzzi in ages. Lately when I go, it's to do the weight machines (and that's it, since I've been biking), but last time I used a stationary bike too, and by the time I was done, the place was closing, so I couldn't even take a shower when I was done, much less lounge around in the jacuzzi. I need to get going on a regular basis again so I CAN putz around not worrying about getting everything in, instead of working hard for the one time I'm there and not having enough time to make it fun.

*sigh* I feel like I'm stuck - not enough time for anything, and this is something I definitely need to make time for. :p I've lost 20 lbs in 5.5 months... while it's still a loss, I was hoping to have lost twice that by now.

--Janis

sf40
05-16-2006, 09:54 PM
Hey everyone!

Hope y'all aren't getting flooded out. All the rain we had earlier this spring stopped just like that (snaps fingers). But I've yet to see the sun here along the coast and am looking forward to that.

Didn't make the long bike ride Saturday. In fact, haven't done any exercise since last Thursday. It's a long story, but my sister and I decided to drive to Tucson to see our mom for Mother's Day. Was a heck of a lot of driving for a short visit, but I'm glad we went. My "mother's day gift" from hubby and pets was new bike tires! Hubby rode without me this past weekend and went faster with his new tires. Said he got me new tires because he was afraid I'd slow him down. My response: I was going slow so he could keep up.

I too read about the Silent Ride and right now 12 mph is a fairly brisk pace for us because we have mountain bikes with fat tires. I'm sure 12 mph is slow on a road bike with thin tires, but right now we only average ~13 mph.

I've had far too many rest days lately but some were on purpose because I was exhibiting signs of overtraining. My real problem was that I've been eating like crap (can I say that here?) and probably not getting enough nutrients to support my activity level. So I took a break and plan to get back into it tomorrow.

Part of my eating problem is my frustration with my extremely slow weight loss. I started out at about 185 and wanted to lose about 40 pounds. Well, since September I've lost somewhere between 15 and 20 pounds (scale keeps bouncing between 166 and 169). The loss was slow but steady from October to March, but I've now been stuck since March. Well, I guess I should be happy that I didn't gain despite my eating. I think I really need to work on my eating and may cut the exercise for a while until I get that under control.

Not sure if I'll be "spinning" this week, but we are planning our long bike ride for Sunday morning. I'm so looking forward to it.

Stay dry!

busker
05-17-2006, 07:48 PM
"I've had far too many rest days lately but some were on purpose because I was exhibiting signs of overtraining. My real problem was that I've been eating like crap (can I say that here?) and probably not getting enough nutrients to support my activity level. So I took a break and plan to get back into it tomorrow."

Sure. I eat like crap too. ;) I feel your pain... I feel like nothing's been cooperating with me, and I keep kicking myself for "letting" the weight creep back after I lost 75 lbs and kept it off for nearly 5 years. :p The fact is, though, I just haven't been able to keep up the activity level. Unlike those 5 years where I was unemployed half the time and had a treadmill in my basement (and nobody to object if I'd use it at 2am), I feel like I'm always on the go.

I recently had a sleep-study done to find out why I feel so friggin' tired all the time. They're making me keep a "sleep diary" and the biggest thing I'm noticing is I'm not even getting home (much less to sleep) until nearly midnight every night. Between work, school, fife & drum, trying to squeeze in the gym...

And of course there are the implications that has on food. Eating out a lot, grabbing quick stuff "to go" (although I don't do fast-food, and I try to pack stuff) and I don't like cooking anyway. But even the salads I get from places are loaded up with salt and extra calories, I'm sure. God knows they're about 4x the size of a single serving... :p

And here it's been a reasonably good day, but I'm still stuck at work, going on 7pm. I need to go to the gym, but I need to do school work too. *sigh* decisions, decisions.

(I never did go to the gym yesterday, even though I wanted to. I ended up going to practice. Kinda frustrating when only 1/4 of the people were there, and me, and we're not the ones who need the practice the most, as we're there every week!) *sigh*

--Janis

OneKim
05-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi everyone! Hope everyone is having good, dry weather like we are!!! I'm loving it! Been able to get bike rides in for the last 2 days without getting wet! I rode 9.7 miles yesterday and 10.2 today! Yes! My longest ride yet!!!! today's ride was only 2 minutes longer than yesterday's...so I seem to be getting faster at least! Not too bad for a mountain bike with fat tires! LOL. I'm hopefully starting a full time job next week, so nice, fast, shiny new road bike here I come!!!! That is, if I can make myself keep riding after I'm working nights....I really hope I can! I'd hate to have to quit a job just so I can get my bike riding in! LOL. I haven't worked in about 6yrs, so I'm anxious to get outta the house some!

Hope everyone is doing well! Just wanted to check in!

Kim

carla49
05-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Will the rain never stop? So far, whenever we've had dry days, I've either been out of town, too busy at work, or sick. :( It can't last forever, and I have many, many miles to go before I catch up...

sf40
05-21-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey everyone!

Today I finally went for a bike ride after 10 days of no exercise! :fr: Whatever I did to myself, I think a combo of overtraining and poor food choices, wore me out and I got a nasty little head cold. This has happened before and I think I'm just an exercise wimp and need to schedule week-long breaks into my routine in an attempt to avoid the icky effects of overtraining. Hope it works.

So we rode almost 22 miles, our longest ride yet in quite some time. I wanted to keep going, but hubby was tired. Today he commented that he should have kept the old tires on my bike. Honestly, my old tires were okay, but the new ones seem to provide a smoother ride and things weren't bouncing quite as much, if you know what I mean. ;) Part of the reason hubby was pooped is that a rain storm is coming in and we were riding against a very strong wind for half the ride. Saw the most amazing thing on the trail today. A group of women on roller blades flew by us! They were going so fast, much faster than anyone on a bike has ever passed us. A man was riding a bike right on their heels, we believe it was their coach, shouting at them to go faster, etc. I just cannot believe their speed and endurance to go that far, that fast.

Hey Janice, I know what you mean about keeping up on things. I'm currently unemployed but interviewing. Lately I've had time to exercise and prepare healthy foods and I am terrified of what will happen when I start working. Right now I am trying to figure out how I'll work it all in -- the cardio, the weights, eating healthy food. As you correctly note, it's hard sometimes to make good food choices when you're grabbing food on the run. I'm just so afraid that I'll slip back into my pre-unemployment bad habits and get huge again. :( Hope the sleep study sheds some light on your fatigue, but it sounds to me like you're just doing a lot. I know what it's like to be constantly tired and it sucks.

Kim, congrats on the longer rides and getting faster! That's what hubby and I have been doing -- gradually adding more distance to our rides without adding significant time. For a while, we were going further in the same amount of time (9, 10, 11 miles) but now that we're over 20 miles, it's taking longer. But that's okay! Bike riding is fun! :) We are also on mountain bikes with fat tires and anxiously looking forward to getting road bikes; getting tired of being passed by "bike gangs." Like you, we plan to get them once I start working. Can't wait!

Carla, hope the weather cooperates with your schedule and you can get riding soon!

ArtsyGirl
05-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi gals-been to rainy and windy to ride here. I'm keeping up on my spin classes, and playing softball on top of the daily run/walk and turbokick I've been doing. I need to get a bike ride in. I'm really missing it. Hubby bought his road bike and now I'm coveting it. I guess I should clean up my old one and see if I like it as much as my mountain bike (for around here I travel so comfortable on dirt roads due to the lack of traffic that I'm not sure I'd like being forced to stay on the paved roads)

Well, just wanted to let you know I haven't fallen of the earth. Glad you're all getting some riding in.

OneKim
05-22-2006, 06:32 PM
sf40, 22 miles! Wow! I can't wait till I'm riding that far. Allll that time out of the house, all alone...lol. I think that's part of why I love riding so much...I'm free for a little while! I haven't been able to go lately. I have some health stuff to straighten out! I have eczema, and my hands are soooooo broken out right now, it hurts to grip the handlebars and I have some cracked/bleeding spots everytime I do go! Gloves don't help :( So I've had to take a break too...ugh! I'm feeling it too...just feel like I'm slipping back into the feeling like crap, lazy feeling I've had all my life!

ARtsygirl, you're lucky to have those dirt roads! We don't have any around here. There's trails a few miles away, but I have yet to check them out, I'm halfway scared it'll be full of rro's...lol. We're in a military town and it seems like a good many guys are cyclists around here!

I enjoy the stability that the mountain bike gives. I'm not scared to run over a rock or stick in front of me...with a road bike that would be different! I had a road bike when I was younger, and rode all over on it, and I don't remember having any major crashes...but I'm still nervous! 2 of the 3 times I've had broken bones came from riding something (motorcycle and horse) so I'm sorta nervous about taking a big fall. Funny how I'm like that with bikes now, but it doesn't scare me to ride a horse!

Kim

sotypical
05-23-2006, 06:17 PM
I know I am SUPER late but can I join too? For the last two weeks I have been riding my exercise bike every morning and would like to give myself a little more motivation! I was doing the walking challenge but when I hurt my knees I stopped walking so much. I will get back into that too but I like the exercise bike way more!

The only thing is my bike keeps track in KM - so 500 miles is 805 KM. So if I do join I would be keeping track of it that way.

Sure hope I am not too late!

carla49
05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Yay! Finally got back in the saddle. It's a gorgeous day out there, I had the foresight to take an antihistamine, and to my amazement my butt didn't complain at all! I need to get out the bike path map and plan some longer routes: today was 20.36 k, and I could go a lot further, especially if I pack a picnic.

Courtnie, I thought I had posted a welcome to you yesterday, but it disappeared along with another post. But anyway, it's not too late to join; as you can see, there are many of us with very low mileage to date. I'm on km's too

sotypical
05-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Woohoo! So glad to join :)

Yesterday I did double time on the bike (2 hours) so I manged to get in 48.59 km (that is a little over 30 miles). Normally I only get about half that. I will add today's up later :)

busker
05-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Welcome newcomers! :hug: Sorry I haven't posted much lately. Classes just started up again (ugh) and I've been putting in 10.5 hour days at work, too. :p I've been slacking overall on my weight-loss efforts, which obviously concerns me, but I still keep finding excuses not to go to the gym. (bad Janis!) Tonight I'm going. I'm not putting in another ridiculously long day... I need to go the gym, darnit!

Well, one piece of good news is I finally made my 100 miles of walking challenge. The bad news, is I didn't particularly do anything special to do it. I just wore my pedometer every day. Apparently taking the dog to the dog-walk area at the apartment and walking from the parking lot to my office, and office to cafeteria is enough to put in about 3 miles a day. Then there's parades and stuff, but I didn't have my pedometer on for those. (I should - one of these days I'm going to have to do a study to see just how far we march in a year). I bet that's a study nobody's ever done. (*sob* I'm such a geek)

Better yet - I could go home early, and ride my bike to the gym, workout, and go back! :-) That should be good for another 10+ miles on the bike.

--Janis

OneKim
05-24-2006, 04:30 PM
HI Courtnie! Glad to have ya! I just joined not too long ago and haven't been able to ride much, so I'm way low in mileage! I hope to fix that soon.

Janis, I bet the parade miles do add up! How many parades do you do a year? That would be a fun way to get exercise!

Ugh...weight loss efforts here are down the drain for some reason. I haven't been eating the way I used to, but I haven't been really, really careful! I'm still not drinking sodas, so I'm sure that's a big help. Just so much stress lately! Between docs appointments, 2 kids in karate 3 times a week and an orphaned baby squirrel I'm trying to keep alive, I'm almost pulling my hair out here! I'm not eating bad, I'm mainly back to the point of making myself eat during the day, instead of one big meal at night! For a few days it was not eating all day and a small meal at night, then snacking later :o

Well, better run! Gotta talk hubby into taking all 3 kids to karate with him so I can get a ride in..hehe.

Kim

OneKim
05-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Wahoo! My rides just keep getting longer and longer! I've been dreading a ride, because of my eczema causing my hands to crack and bleed from gripping the handles, but I said screw it and went....16 miles in 1 hr and 20 mins! My mph average went up .6! I'm well, well on my way to my goal of a 30 mile solo, self sustained ride! I think the goal may be low! I'll go with mini goals though...lol. I may just really check into the AIDS benefit ride for this September, and see about riding all 5 days. Plenty of time to train! I felt great after the 16 miles...like I could have done it again!

I was wondering if y'all would be interested in having a 'team' on bikejournal.com? I don't know if any of you use it to log your miles, but it's a great site for that! After every ride I add my miles, time, avg speed (will total that for you if you don't know...my bike comp keeps up with it though) and all that...you can add rows and columns for different info you like to keep up with such as weight, route, and all sorts of things! It's neat, and motivating to see your progress!

If you're a member of a team, it keeps track of total miles between the team, which is neat! I thought it might be fun here!

Kim

sotypical
05-24-2006, 10:30 PM
I did 22.88 km today :)

I am going to get out bikejournal.com it sounds super!

OneKim
05-25-2006, 12:57 AM
Awesome! I love the bike journal thing! There's a seciion where you can look up organized rides in your area if you're interested in that. I'm hoping to work up to doing one or two. Not for competition, but just to be able to do it! I think it would be great fun.

Kim

OneKim
05-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Did a 20.2 mile ride last night! It was nice and breezy (ie strong headwind...lol) so I stayed cool the whole time and didn't realize how sweaty I got till I stopped! My legs wanted to seize up once I got home and sat down, so I went for a walk around the block to loosen them up some after being on the bike for an hour and 50 minutes! After that took a warm/cold alternating shower, sat on the couch and massaged them pretty hard...got hubby to massage them before sleep and they're not hurting today, wonder of wonders!!!!

On another great note, I've kept off the 5lb loss that I figured was a fluke in the scales! For the longest time I was between 181 and 176, no matter how much diet and exercise I was doing, and it dropped to 175.6 2 days ago and this morning it's 175.4....so my motivation is back!

Hope everyone is doing great!

Kim

sotypical
05-26-2006, 10:57 PM
Did 34.46km today :)

sf40
05-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Welcome, Courtnie! Glad to see you here and it looks like you're off to a great start.

Kim, congrats on the 20-mile ride and the 5-lb loss!

Brandy, hope your weather is better and you're able to ride. Glad you're still spinning. I've stopped for now and am doing all my biking outside on weekends.

Carla, glad to see you posting that you were able to ride!

Janice, sounds like you're crazy-busy and hope you can find time to exercise. Congrats on achieving the walking goal! And yes, you should wear your pedometer during a parade! And there is nothing wrong with being a geek (Have you taken the inner-geek quiz??? http://www.innergeek.us/geek.html. The geekier members of my family and I have been enjoying it for several years now.)

Well today hubby and I had planned a long bike ride but it is super windy, and it's rainy and cold! So we only went about 13 miles and hope the weather is better tomorrow for a long ride. Ya know, it figures ... The day we rode last weekend it was rainy and windy. It was nice and sunny during the week. Now today it's rainy and windy. Hmmm.

I am contemplating competing in a triathlon. Have always wanted to, the idea of the multiple activities appeals to me. There is a sprint triathlon near my home (http://www.pacificsportsllc.com/huntingtontri/hbtInfo.html) that I'd like to do. I feel pretty good about the bike ride, obviously, especially since the bike course is where we ride almost every weekend. And I'm a decent swimmer. Grew up swimming in the ocean and with practice I think I'd do fine. Just don't like to run. :( So I'm gonna do my exercising as if I'm training for it, meaning I'm going to gradually do more running and less walking, and if I think I can handle the running will sign up.

Also interested in your thoughts on mountain bike vs. road bike for a triathlon. We can ride either in this particular race. I know I'd go faster on a road bike. But 1) I don't own one yet and 2) I've never ridden in a pack and I do like the stability of a mountain bike and might feel more comfortable my first time on a stable bike. I think about all the times I went over the handle bars as a kid (showing off with no hands, and frequently no feet, most of the time) and sure don't want to wipe out in a race.

OneKim
05-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Got 21 miles in yesterday and a mere 12.6 today :( Got caught in a downpour (was nice when I left!), stopped under a shelter till it lightened up alot and went on home. I had pnuemonia in April and I'm not anxious to have it again! Figured I should get warm and dry soon! Oh well, a light day is good now and then, huh?

Wow, a triathalon! That would be a great thing to try! I'm not a runner either :/ I have no idea how people do it! My hubby does and I've tried going with him. Bad knees and running don't mix. Keep us updated on if you're doing it, and how your training is going! That would be interesting to follow!

I have no idea on recommendations on a bike. I'm on a mt bike now, and haven't been on a road bike for YEARS, so I can't help ya! I am working myself up to buying a roadbike though...scared...lol. Good luck though, I know you'll figure out what's best! If you haven't seen it yet, there's a good women's cycling site that has beginners to people that have ridden for years and years...it's www.teamestrogen.com It's a great site that has tons of good info on bikes, and really anything to do with cycling!

Kim

sf40
05-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Hey all, we got in our long ride this morning. 27 miles in 2 hours! Not bad for a mountain bike with fat, knobby tires. Can't believe it, when we first started riding regularly it took us about an hour to go 9 miles. Cannot wait to get a road bike to see how fast we go then! :bike: The other nice thing: it is sunny this morning! We rode in the sun which was wonderful, haven't ridden in the sun in weeks.

Kim, thanks for the website. I found it very interesting and plan to read some more as we prepare to buy road bikes. So much more to think about. I had no idea what a big deal proper fit is! When we bought our mountain bikes, I think the only thing we worried about for fit was our inseam. Though I think my frame is a bit small for me; the seat is as high up as it will go.

Over the next couple of weeks I plan to try a tiny bit of running. If I don't totally hate it, I'll begin "training" for the triathlon. I worry a bit about my knees, too, but since I've been lifting weights they are much stronger and might be able to handle running. I am not signing up until later this summer, subject to how I do with the running. :)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far!

sotypical
05-28-2006, 03:37 PM
I did 25.03km yesterday and working on today's ride right now :) Trying to make the time go faster today because I had a real hard time getting off the couch :(

OneKim
05-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I did 21.5 miles today. Great ride! Weather was perfect for it!

Hehe Courtnie, I know the feeling....hard to get goin sometimes, huh?

sf40, do you have any idea what kind of road bike you're gonna get? I post over at teamestrogen as kimct! Glad to know you liked the site! The women there are 'real' women, most complaining from time to time about extra fluff! So they're not all super fit, eat hardly anything gals! I think that's why I like it so much. That and they don't laugh at the newer people trying to get into cycling!

i've got my eye on a Bianchi...but will probably get something cheaper so I can get it faster, and save up for the Bianchi...probably as a reward for something or other...like 20lbs lost, or 50 mile ride, something like that. Hubby almost fell over when I pointed out what I wanted and he saw the price! Oh well...I'm hoping to go to work this week (please call, PLEASE call...lol) so I'll be saving the money on my own! I've been looking for a hobby for a long time, and I think I've found it!

Kim

sotypical
05-29-2006, 01:29 PM
I only got it 15.59km yesterday (only did 40 min) and today I got in 24.13 :)

OneKim
05-29-2006, 02:56 PM
I only got in a very slow 5 mile ride today. I might go out in a bit for another ride, but I took my 9yr old daughter with me to some trails that I found today and we explored there a bit, not very long trails...we managed to ride about half a mile through the woods. So we rode to the beach and stayed there a bit. Not long enough, but quality time with my daughter! :)

sf40
05-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Kim, I have no idea yet what kind of bike I'm going to get. Hubby and I just recently started talking about getting road bikes. We're getting tired of being passed on the bike trail by "bike gangs" on road bikes! Though I've noticed they don't seem to pass us as quickly as before, because we're faster now. :D So you may see me on the other site, though I will probably just lurk for a while.

And Kim and Courtnie, a "short" ride is better than no ride. :dizzy: Which will be me (no ride) until the weekend. Need to start working on swimming and maybe running. Will probably do that during the week and ride on weekends.

sotypical
05-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Sherry - swimming would be so nice! I used to swim like 6 days a week, I was on a local team. It was soo fun! But I partly blame my HUGE calf muscles on that, and I mean HUGE! At least they are all muscle, the only non-fat area of my body, lol. I hope I can get in lots of swimming this year.

I did 33 km this morning :) weeeee

busker
05-31-2006, 01:07 AM
"Janis, I bet the parade miles do add up! How many parades do you do a year? That would be a fun way to get exercise!"

60+ parades & performances a year with this group (whew!) It would be more fun if some of the parades weren't 90 degrees while wearing 3 layers of wool and a polyester "powdered" wig. ;) It gets kinda hot. I've been doing it for 20 years now. Parade folk are one step up from Carnies. ;)

After the 2 parades on Monday, we went back to the Director's house for a picnic. They told us we'd have a meeting first thing, so go their directly after the parade (they live in the same town as the parade). So, I went directly after the parade. 4 hours later, we got to the meeting part. If I had known it would be that long, I would've gone home and rode my bike there, as it's sort of along the bike trail, and I've done it before. (Albeit it's a 30 mile round-trip). But, I was feeling energized, and it was a beautiful day. A bit hot, but I was already sweaty from the parades, so I wouldn't have cared so much.

I did get in a lousy 5.5 miles on Sunday, though. After several hours of homework, I needed a break, and didn't have anything to eat at home, so my boyfriend & I went out to a restaurant to eat. However, I rode my bike and met up with him there. Not a long ride, but it was nice, because it was cooler and towards sundown. It's actually the toughest half of my ride to work, but it seemed really easy. Probably because I didn't have my 25 lbs of backpack filled with laptop and school books on me.

When the bike store suggested getting a rack for the back of my bike, I thought it was a bit excessive, but they're right - in the summer, you don't want stuff sticking to your back. Ew. And you don't feel as gross after riding if your shirt isn't sticking to you. :p

Glad to see everyone's out there working to catch up! I'll need to get going if I'm going to stay ahead! ;)

--Janis

OneKim
05-31-2006, 02:13 AM
Got in 19.1 miles today. Nice, brisk ride for me! I upped my avg speed a good bit. It was 13 for the first 10 miles, but overall it was 12.6...not too bad considering I've been doing 10-11.5 or so. I've found the best route for me to take most days! Not too hilly, but not totally flat either!

Janis, wow...lots of walking through the year! I bet your legs are in great shape! HEHE...I bet it does make a difference riding with about 25lbs on your back vs nothing! Hey, least that's more calories you're burning everyday, huh? I must be odd because I love to feel sweaty. I guess not the feeling itself, but the...I dunno, the fact that I've worked up a REAL sweat! I just can't get over the fact of what I'm doing lately with the biking...lol. I don't like the sweaty feeling of the backpack though...I can't wait to put water bottle cages and a seat bag on my bike so I don't have to carry the backpack for my cash, water, and cell phone.

Courtnie, your legs sound like mine. My legs are my favorite part of my body though, because they're muscular and powerful...do you feel the same way? I mean, they'll never be lean and girlie, but they look like...well, a cyclists or runners legs!

sf40 (Sherry?), keep me posted on what kinda bike you're gonna get! I'm researching now. Won't even let myself walk into the bike shop though. I know me, I'll spot 'the bike', pitch a fit and make hubby buy it for me, and then feel bad because I didn't wait to research and didn't buy it myself! If I don't get this job, I'll let him buy it...lol.

Know what you mean about getting passed by roadies! I hate it too. One scared the mess outta me the other day! I was riding along, at the end of 16 miles, so I was riding sorta slow to cool down before I got off the bike....zoned out, looking from the road in front of me to the trees beside me...he came up behind me and spoke 'how ya doin' to let me know he was there and I jumped a MILE! I must have gasped or something cause he slowed and looked at me...we both laughed after we realized what was going on. I'm just glad to see friendly roadie's around here and not bike snobs!

Wow...that was a long post...lol...not wanting to go to bed!

Kim

sotypical
05-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Courtnie, your legs sound like mine. My legs are my favorite part of my body though, because they're muscular and powerful...do you feel the same way? I mean, they'll never be lean and girlie, but they look like...well, a cyclists or runners legs!

I want nice girly legs :( But hey, guess I can't have it all. The tops are flaby, least I could lost some there and tone them up. It is just hard to buy pants, lots of times they are too tight in my calfs! So I have to get like super flare.

I did 32km today. And I am getting sick :( I might have to skip tomorrow and sleep in... but then I feel guilty all day!

OneKim
06-01-2006, 01:50 AM
Courtnie, I'll be right there with ya on the guilty thing! I got in a sad lil 6 mile ride today, and just gave up! Something happened with my gears (think my mind just wasn't connecting what I was doing really) and I hit my knee on the top tube of the bike, so I turned around and went home!

Was feeling not quite right when I left for the ride, but pushed myself to go...now I'm making myself take at least a day off riding, see if I can get to feeling better with a good rest!

So, yeah, I'll be sleeping in and feeling guilty right along with you tomorrow! Not sick though, and I hope your day of rest makes you feel better! Don't push yourself too hard! Rest when you're tired.

sotypical
06-01-2006, 02:08 PM
I didn't sleep in - got 25km in :) Still sick tho - sore throat is gone but I am all stuffed up.

OneKim
06-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Courtnie, I reallyhope you're feeling better soon! Seems like a rough time of year. My hubby was sick a week or so ago. Allergies maybe? Good to hear that your sore throat is gone though!

I didn't ride today, just couldn't make myself get out there for some reason. Will tomorrow though!

I figure I got my exercise today...had to go grocery shopping with my 3yr old...that's always fun...lol. Get a workout from putting stuff back on the shelf as fast as she can put it in the cart!

I'm starving tonight! I'm gonna have to go find something relatively healthy to snack on!!

Kim

sotypical
06-02-2006, 01:30 PM
Starting to feel better... thankfully. I know it is a cold and it sucks because my grandmother is in the hospital and I don't want to go visit until I am better. She is not doing very well at all and if I got her sick... well I don't even want to think about it.

I am dead tired and just wanted to sleep! I got in 33.80km this morning - phew- but not I am at work counting my 8 hours left until I can go home :(

sf40
06-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Hope you gals are feeling better! From one who has over-trained and gotten sick because of it, take the time you need to get rested and recovered. You will be surprised to find that you maintain your strength and endurance.

Good news -- got the job that I recently interviewed for and really want. Start next Wednesday so I've been busy adding to and updating my working wardrobe. I can now seriously research a road bike, so Kim I'll let you know what I find out. Though it might be a couple of weeks, don't know how busy I'll be at work.

We got in a short ride today, only 13 miles, but I'm glad we didn't go any farther because it's so hot and sticky. We were drenched at the end of the ride. Ick. Some sweat is ok, but being soaked is a bit too much. We are riding along the beach tomorrow and plan an earlier start in an attempt to beat the heat.

OneKim
06-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Courtnie, glad to hear you're feeling better! I hate to hear that about your grandmother...hope she's better soon! Sending good thoughts!

Sherry, congrats on the job!!!! What are you gonna be doing? I still haven't been called for my job. Guess I'm not getting it, although the guy said that I pretty much had it! It was cashiering at Walmart on 3rd shift, good pay...I called last week to find out what was going on, since he said he'd call me at the beginning of that week and the lady said they were waiting on my background check to come in and they'd call. Still no call :( I know my background check and drug test was clean! Can't figure out why they wouldn't hire me. Oh well, I can try elsewhere! Looks like for 3rd shift they'd take whoever they could...it's not a shift that many people ASK for, ya know?

No riding in the last 2 days here! As soon as I started to go yesterday (literally, was putting my backpack on to walk out) it started raining! Could have been a good thing though, there was a plane crash right where I ride around the time I was going to ride. Hoping that I'll get to ride tomorrow....rain rain go away!

Kim

sotypical
06-04-2006, 11:47 AM
No riding in the last 2 days here! As soon as I started to go yesterday (literally, was putting my backpack on to walk out) it started raining! Could have been a good thing though, there was a plane crash right where I ride around the time I was going to ride. Hoping that I'll get to ride tomorrow....rain rain go away!

That is one good thing about using an exercise bike! No worries about rain! I got in 31km yesterday. I will ride later today I am sure. Still sick now with an AWEFUL headache. Thank god it hasn't started yet today but I am sure it is coming :(

sf40
06-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Kim. First let me warn you that I am a geek. ;) I will be working as a consultant for a consulting firm that provides land use, real estate, and environmental services to public agencies and private companies. I'm really excited by the work because it's multi-dimensional and very interesting. And the company seems fabulous and I think it will be a perfect fit for me in terms of work-life balance.

Regarding Wal-Mart, you should call again until they tell you no. Be nice about it, not a pest; sometimes people get busy with other things and hiring decisions might take a temporary back seat. Also shows you have initiative! :D Good luck!!

Hope the rain goes away and you can ride again soon. And hope no one was seriously injured in that plane crash. Good thing you weren't around when it happened!

Courtnie, hope you and your grandmother feel better soon.

We got up early this morning and rode 10 miles along the beach. Is supposed to even hotter today and is very sticky. I'm really excited because I was riding up a hill and a chick on a road bike was not able to pass me! Yay! Someone mentioned big, powerful thighs ... Well I have them too and they sure come in handy at times like that. Though I wish they weren't quite so huge and flabby at the top that they rub together when I walk. Sigh.

I'll try to peek in during the week but don't have any rides planned until next weekend and will be busy with the new job. Hope everyone has a great week!

OneKim
06-05-2006, 12:47 AM
Still no ride...lol. I think I overdid it last week and I just keep looking at the bike knowing that I need to ride and I want to ride, but can't make myself do it! Sad. I am going to TRY to run again though, and I'm fixin to start with jogging in place here in the living room in a few. I was gonna go around the block tonight, but sat here till too late and hubby didn't want me out with him sleeping and if something happened he wouldn't know I wasn't home till morning.

Good luck with that job! Sounds interesting. I was just having a pity party a bit ago because I didn't finish high school and college and all that, knowing I had potential and I had to rely on Walmart for a job! Now I see nothing wrong with working at jobs like this (I waitressed at a Waffle House for a few years and I'd go back to that job in a MINUTE...it was fun, I made good money and was a good waitress and gave people a smile alot of times when they needed it) but I wish I could get a higher level job. Maybe one of these days I'll get back to school! I guess I'm blessed that I don't have to work, and that I'm looking for a job for extra money...so many others have to have 2 parents working to make ends meet.

This has turned into too much huh? LOL.

Courtnie, I think I'd ride all of 10 minutes on a stationary! I've got an elliptical machine and I just can't make myself use it on a regular basis because of the boredom factor! I need to though..it's great cardio! It's a great thing though that you can deal with it! Do you read or watch tv or something while on it?

Hope your grandmother is improving!

Yes, sadly, 2 people died in the plane crash, but 2 people walked away. They were landing at our tiny airport. I feel awful for their families.

Hope everyone is doing well! I'm off to make myself jog in place! LOL.

Kim

sotypical
06-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Courtnie, I think I'd ride all of 10 minutes on a stationary! I've got an elliptical machine and I just can't make myself use it on a regular basis because of the boredom factor! I need to though..it's great cardio! It's a great thing though that you can deal with it! Do you read or watch tv or something while on it?

Watch TV! Or sometimes I read - I have to get back into the reading, I have two books on the go haha. But usually I get up at 5:45 watch the last bit of saved by the bell and then dawson's creek! I never watched dawson's creek when it was on TV but the re-runs are good and the time fly's by! I didn't get any riding in yesterday and this morning I woke up and went back to bed. My body was stiff and I felt like crap - still sick. But I have to get back at it tomorrow.

OneKim
06-06-2006, 12:05 AM
I've tried TV with the elliptical...but I'm not big on TV so get bored with it so easily! Music videos work, but then again...I get bored. LOL.

Still haven't gotten on the bike...probably will tomorrow. I did walk/jog for 30 minutes with my daughter tonight. She's 9 and getting a little pudge. I'd never tell her this, but I include her when I can on rides and/or walks on the basis of 'come keep me company!' She did better at the jogging than I did! I jogged for 16 minutes around my coffee table last night, but apparently that's alot easier than road jogging...lol.

Kim

sotypical
06-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Road jogging is much harder :( I have a treadmill for a couple more days, but I haven't been using it... far too nosiey!

I got in 25.22 km today :)

sotypical
06-07-2006, 02:05 PM
31.02km today :)

sotypical
06-08-2006, 01:24 PM
30.08 km

OneKim
06-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Got in 14.6 miles today. Finally got back on my bike! Sheesh, that 14.6 felt like 30 because of the wind! When I got home I checked the weather site and the winds are between 15 and 25mph today...no wonder I almost gave up a few times...lol.

Kim

sf40
06-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Only rode one time this weekend: today. A very short ride, just about an hour and only 13 miles. But hey, better than nothing!

The new job is going extremely well. But because I've been off for 10 months I need to re-learn my time management skills. So for now, that means much less computer time.

Hope you're all doing well! It looks like Courtnie is racking up the miles on the stationary bike -- good job!! Kim, glad you're back on the bike. I know what you mean about the wind; we ride along a river bed and the wind almost always howls up it, but it was particularly strong today and I think that's why we didn't go so far (had to limit the ride to 1 hour).

busker
06-12-2006, 01:59 AM
*sob* Between the rain, being buried alive at work with nothing but a straw to breathe through, school work and fife & drum, I haven't seen the light (if there's been any) of day in several weeks now.

Last week I pulled 16 hours days and then did homework, getting home around 3:30 am. Ugh. Totally sucks.

Congrats on the new job!

And as for liking my legs... I'll never be what society deems as an ideal frame (I'd be a total babe in ancient Greece, though), but I like being able to do activities without getting winded or stressed by it. That's the whole reason I'm doing this now, is to try to keep my fitness level up. Now, if I only could get away from the desk once in a while so I could accomplish my goals... *sigh*

--Janis

sotypical
06-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Been a couple days since I posed, but I was still riding. Did 22.12km today making my total so far 509.85km or 316.8miles.

OneKim
06-14-2006, 07:49 AM
sf40, I'm so glad the new job is going well for you! I was wondering about you and Busker the other day, wondering how things were going for y'all.

Busker, I know what you mean about the Greece thing! I see the paintings and think 'hey that's me!' lol.

Glad to hear from both of y'all! I haven't been on the bike either lately, but I don't have a good excuse like y'all do...lol. Well, now I do..it's TOM and I'm just not feelin it!

sf40, I have started jogging/walking some though! I'm actually enjoying it a little after making hubby stay home so that I can do it at my pace all the way and not worry about him making me mad...hehe. I love that he's in awesome shape till we work out together in an endurance type thing...then I just get mad cause I can't keep up, when I KNOW in my rational mind that I'm just not in as good of shape as he is...ah, women!

Looks like Courtnie is gonna whoop us all! I wish I had a trainer to set my bike up on, then I might get some more miles in, but then again, probably not...lol.

Kim

sotypical
06-14-2006, 01:16 PM
I didn't ride yesterday - but I did today! 30.18km :)

sotypical
06-15-2006, 01:36 PM
did 31.34 today

sotypical
06-16-2006, 03:17 PM
31.07 today :)

sf40
06-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Hey everyone!

Got in a short 13 mile ride today. Nothing again until next weekend (sob) unless I want to ride a stationary bike at the gym.

Kim, glad you're walking/running. This up-coming week is my target start date for adding running, but I did something to my left foot and it hurts to walk (I think my feet are not accustomed to being in dress shoes all day ;)). So I think I should wait for it to heal before I try to add jogging. Meanwhile, will continue to bike and swim, though the elliptical might be ok.

Hubby and I are starting to talk about researching road bikes. Of course that's on the list below exercising and preparing healthy food. But I'll share what I come up with, though it might be a while.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

OneKim
06-18-2006, 04:55 AM
I'm determined to get on the bike tomorrow...at least 15 miles worth! This is getting ridiculous! I have been jogging some though. Tonight when I went my right knee was really hurting though. I had to force myself to jog some. I did notice that I'm able to jog for longer periods...I think I was focusing too much on time, watching the time and hoping to be able to stop soon...tonight I didn't even take my watch and I was jogging past my normal stopping points.

Cortnie, so glad to see you're getting those miles in! How are you doing on your weight loss?

Not losing fast here, at all! It's ridiculously slow. If I didn't feel so much better physically and mentally there's no way I'd still be at this. I'd probably be sitting here stuffing my face with brownies if I didn't feel better...lol. Yup, craving them and just can't justify them right now.

Hope everyone is doing well! Hopefully I'll get to report mileage tomorrow!

Kim

OneKim
06-19-2006, 12:52 PM
sf40, I GOT THE JOB!!!! They called this morning to say that all their background check and drug test had just come back in and I go in wed morning to start orientation!!!!!!! I was really disappointed and down about that!

Hope everyone is doing well! I didn't get a bike ride in yesterday like I said I was, we took my hubby to the beach for Father's Day. But, I did get in a jog last night and ran alot farther than I have so far. My knees are paying for it today, but I did it!

Kim

sotypical
06-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Kim - congrats on the job! So awesome! What will you be doing? Starting a new job is always hard, I hate it - that sick feeling in you stomach, YUCK! haha

I got in lots of riding this weekend, Saturday 31.26, Sunday 29.11 and this morning 30.78! I am getting close to starting over! I lost 2.2 pounds this week and the same last week, I just hope to keep it up! I am sure the 80min of biking a day is helping a lot. I was jogging before but then I hurt my knees, that is when I switched to biking. I never got back into the jogging. But I remember how good it felt to jog only because I was never able to do it before and it felt like I was working myself harder, but biking burns more calories, haha. Make sure you have a good pair of shoes or yo uwill really hurt your feet!

OneKim
06-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Courtnie,

thanks! I'll be cashiering at Walmart on third shift. Not the best job, but the best paying around here for the hours for a non grad. I mainly wanted it to get out of the house, and to be able to send my middle kid to karate classes without putting such a strain on hubby's paycheck, so it's gonna serve it's purpose! Besides...10% discount at my favorite store...lol. Gosh, I haven't worked in about 5 years...gonna be wierd! Yeah, I always hated starting a new job...you wonder what you're gonna screw up...hehe.

You're doing so good on the challenge. You started after all of us and you're fixin to lap us! I guess that's why you're seeing a weight loss...hehe. Yes, I'm scared that I won't be able to jog anymore....my knees are giving me trouble since starting, but I think it may be my shoes. I got a cheap pair the other day just to see how they'd do, and I think I'll have to suck it up and just pay for a good pair if I want to keep jogging.

I know what you mean about feeling like you're working harder...it feels great to me to really sweat, besides just breaking one! I don't sweat easily, so I know when I'm dripping that I'm getting a great workout...jogging is about all I've found that'll do that for me! So I love doing it...go figure...I'll probably have to quit...lol.

Grrr...I can't ride today! Hubby won't be home till about 9 tonight so I have the kiddos all day. I can't wait till they're old enough to be left alone for awhile...lol. That's awful huh?

Hope you're doing well!

Kim

sotypical
06-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Kim - you need to go out and get yourself a really good pair of shoes. I know I did, I havent used them yet - but just in case! I think it makes a huge difference!

Good luck with the new job :) My search for a puppy continues!

OneKim
06-19-2006, 04:42 PM
I didn't know you were looking for a puppy!!! What kind are you hoping to get?
I'm thinking of getting a puppy for Christmas...but not sure about that. We have a houseful of new furniture and I'd hate to end up with chewed up table legs and shredded couch....I don't know what I'd do...lol.

There are so many great breeds out there! Mutts are worth looking at too. Shelters are sadly full!!! Let me know how the search goes!

Kim

sotypical
06-19-2006, 07:05 PM
The search is dreadfull! I am almost pulling my hair out! I want a small dog. I don't care if it is a mutt as long as it has good mixings. I have been asking about boston terriers. I would like a mixed breed but they are hard to come by around here. The way it is going for me it will be christmas by the time I get one too. Lots of the smaller dogs need lots of grooming and are not good with kids - I dont have kids, but I will while the puppy is still alive!

OneKim
06-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Oh man, there's so many choices in a small dog that doesn't require alot of grooming!!! Chihuahua's(not sure bout that spelling), Boston's (good dogs, my daughter's friend has 2, good with her kids at least), Poodles (need grooming, but aren't shedders really). Do you not have shelters around there? Or are all the small dogs grabbed up fast? Oh! Daschounds are great dogs too and require no grooming at all!

My fave small dogs are Pomeranian's. I wouldn't say alot of grooming that needs to be done outside the house, you just have to keep them brushed out....they're extremely smart and sweet dogs!!! We had one and that's the only dog (besides his childhood dog) that my husband has ever really liked..he actually loved her...she took his pillow, yeah, he was in love...lol.

I'm actually not a small dog lover, but wouldn't turn one down...lol. I'm a dog lover period really, I just prefer a HUGE dog!

Good luck with your search! Keep me posted! Like I said, I'm a dog nut...right along with horses :)

Kim

sotypical
06-20-2006, 03:25 PM
yes, I am a big dog lover too! I was offered a boxer puppy yesterday, so hard to say no but I had no :(

The problem with the pom's and chi's is they can be a bit snippy and yappy. I don't have any younge kids, but the dog will be around when I start a family. I am really thinking I want a Boston but having trouble finding one. My mom suggested a beagel today and I found some puppies, about half the price (or less) then a boston.... I don't know much about Beagel's tho, they sounds like great dogs but they need LOTS of exercise.

As for biking, I got in 30.06 today :)

sf40
06-21-2006, 12:53 AM
sf40, I GOT THE JOB!!!! They called this morning to say that all their background check and drug test had just come back in and I go in wed morning to start orientation!!!!!!! I was really disappointed and down about that!
Congratulations! Or condolences ... :dizzy: It will be nice for you to get out of the house and have some extra spending $$$.

My new job is going well. Because it's a career change for me, I'm learning lots of new things and at times I feel my head will explode! I think it will be this way for a while but that's ok because I enjoy learning new things.

Haven't ridden since last weekend and haven't even exercised because my foot is still giving me trouble. I don't think it's the shoes after all; it seems more like an infection, perhaps caused by a spider bite I found on my leg or my most recent pedicure. Think I'm gonna try to get some antibiotics from the doctor to get rid of it. Tired of hobbling around and not exercising! :(

Speaking of dogs ... Hubby likes big dogs. I like little pets. So we have a very large dog and a couple of cats. Luckily they all get along. In fact, the cats "raised" the dog and she has a lot of cat characteristics. Kim, if you want a well-behaved huge dog, try a lab or golden retriever. Ours is a mix yellow lab/golden and she is the very best dog I've ever had. She sheds after her bath, but doesn't require any other grooming. She's never chewed furniture, never had an accident in the house, is great with kids. She is a wonderful dog. :love:

sotypical
06-21-2006, 03:28 PM
my parents have a yellow love and he is awesome, I love him to pieces! I just need a smaller dog tho :(

got in 30.86km this morning.

sotypical
06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
30.46km this morning

Diem
06-22-2006, 02:41 PM
I ride my bike for 6 to 6.6 miles three times a week. Sometimes I feel too lazy/tired or something gets in the way by the time the third time rolls around so I only do it twice a week, but I always try for 3.

It's on a gravel road for 1.7 miles before it turns into pavement, and there's a few hills. On the way back there's a HUGE hill I have to go up, then the gravel again. Gravel adds resistence, right?

I'm gonna try going 80 miles on my bike in July. I've never really kept track before, but I'm sure I typically go around 65 - 75.

sotypical
06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Last night I got back on my bike again and did 17.77km and this morning I did 31.15km. So 500 miles rounds closest to 805km (804.63 to be exact).

I have done a total of 833.79km meaning - I HAVE FINISHED MY 500 MILES in exactly one month! I started May 23 and finished today! So time to start again. So far at 28.79km :)

OneKim
06-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Good goin Courtnie! You've shamed us all :o lol. At least you're dropping the lbs to show for it! I haven't had the time or energy lately for bike riding! Between training for the new job and my sister in law and her 2 kids coming in for a visit, we've been full force the last few days. At least my eating is still on the good side!

I have dropped some, she scale showed 174.6 this morning!! Not much of a drop, but any little bit counts! I'm pretty sure that if I drank alot of water for the next day or so I'd drop some more...I haven't been good with the water!

Sherry, glad to hear your job is going well! You might need to get that spider bite checked out! Even if it wasn't a poisonous spider it can get a bad infection...not a fun thing!

I'm done with my computer training, thank goodness! They put me on a register yesterday with another cashier shadowing me and I only messed up a few times! LOL. I think I shop at Walmart so much that I knew some of the procedures anyways...hehe.

Diem, welcome! Bike riding is so much fun and so good for you! I noticed a big difference when I started riding. Hop in! A few of us don't seem to be getting much riding in lately :(

Kim

sotypical
06-26-2006, 03:19 PM
A little bit of a drop is better then a little bit of a gain! haha
I had no drop this week, but that is cuz I ate so bad. The only thing that stopped me from gaining was all my riding.

This week I will stay under 1700 calories everyday (except maybe 1) and I will ride my bike everday (except 1). The scale with drop this Saturday! haha I hope!

Anyway I got in 28.87km this morning and 23.28km on Saturday!

OneKim
06-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Whew, finally got back on my bike! I rode a lovely, mind clearing 15 mile loop! I would have gone more, but my sister in law is visiting and I didn't want her to wake up and worry about where I was.

She's the reason I needed a mind clearing...lol. Well, not really, but the stress of having her and her 2 kids here. I'm a private person, I enjoy my time alone and I haven't had that since they've been here. I always have to watch what I say, do, wear, and all that good stuff....and it gets to me! Hubby and I argued last night and I KNOW it's cause I'm stressed out because of them being here! Starting a new job is stressful enough without the other stuff!

So, I rode this morning, in the fog, with almost no traffic on the road. It was an extremely nice ride. I was so scared that it would half kill me to get back on the bike, but it didn't....if anything I was stronger on my hills. I rode hubby's bike so that I wasn't focused on my speed/time/distance, (his doesn't have a computer on it) just riding and I was amazed at how much nicer his bike rides...lol.. Same brand and all, just a men's bike with bar ends on the handle bars. Although, you can't take his bike to 5th gear or up on the big ring cause it clinks for some reason!?! Odd.

Well, guess it's a good thing I did some jogging/walking while taking a bike break!

Kim

sf40
07-04-2006, 05:07 PM
I know I haven't posted in a while, but glad to see Kim and Courtnie are still riding and posting. Welcome, Diem.

Haven't ridden or done much exercise lately. Of course, I've gained a bit of weight/fat because of that and my out-of-control eating lately. Very social co-workers who go out to lunch a lot. And someone is always bringing in pastries or donuts. I've decided I must get out of "celebration" mode and clean up my eating. Will continue to eat lunch out occasionally, but will be a lot more picky about what I order and actually eat.

Foot is still giving me trouble and right now no one knows why. So I've decided to press on with exercise. Went for a nice ride this morning, am able to swim, but cannot walk very well nor run so don't know if I will be able to do the triathlon in October. But I've not given up yet! Also plan to resume lifting weights with some modification to keep the majority of my body weight off my foot.

Kim, we've been so busy this month with family and social events and are just starting to research road bikes. Will let you know what we find out. How about you? Have you made a decision/purchase yet? And how's the job going?

OneKim
07-05-2006, 11:20 AM
Hi sf40! Glad to see you posting. I've been wondering how you're doing. I know how the temptations at work are...lol. We have the donut thing going on too. I've done pretty well though! Well enough to have lost about 4 lbs in the last week. I think the added activity and upping my calories some helped out alot. Hope I can keep it down!

No, I haven't done any researching or anything. I'll probably end up holding off for awhile. I'm going to start on the kid's Christmas soon, so that'll be all of my extra money.

Sorry to hear about that foot! I hope it heals soon. That's weird that no one knows what's going on with it. Maybe it's just a fluke, like a bruised bone or something. Or stress fracture?

The job is going pretty well! I made the mistake of telling my manager that I was ok working whenever and that I just wanted the extra money and she's cut my days from working 4 to 3. Maybe I should go to her and say that I do NEED the money...lol. But that would look funny, huh?

I like everyone I work with pretty much, so I enjoy it.

I got in another 8.6 miles Monday morning. I would have gone farther but I didn't think to take water with me and I was so thirsty! I figured it wasn't safe to keep going, specially 20 miles or so with no water.

Hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th!!

Kim

sotypical
07-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Hey everyone! I ran away for a few days but I still did some riding. Got in 28.96km this am.

Kim - glad to hear the job is going well!!!!

sf40- I hurt my feet/legs running in bad shoes, and that is when I switched to the bike, it is much easier on your feet!