Old 03-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #1  
Edge Of Glory

S/C/G: 350/See Ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

Default How Often Do You Replace Your Scale?

I bought mine in May of 2004, and I'm already thinking about buying a new one. I'm not the type that goes by the warranty date or anything, so I'm wondering how often you guys replace your personal scales? The one I have now is a Tanita HD317 Digital Scale with Memory Function.
VirgoChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I've had my analog scale for at least 10 years... probably longer. It is consistent, but I weigh lower on it than any other scale (one reason NOT to replace it).
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #3  

Never, coz I don't own any. Once I get to goal I am going to get some, because I intend to weigh regularly to keep an eye on things. But at the moment, I couldn't live with the tools of the devil in the house!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #4  

Depends on how often I get mad at it. When I get mad at it , it ends up in the trash or broken as I get mad and smash it outside on the sidewalk.....lol. I laugh at myself. But seriously, when I get mad and throw mine out a week or two later I will feel the need for another one. this usually happens at least once a year.
cruisintolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #5  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I have a doctor-style scale, the big floor model, with the sliding weights up top. I got it in late 2004 and don't plan on replacing it anytime soon. I know it's accurate. I tested it against the scale at my doctor's office last week and they were within half a pound of one another.

Now, just because I'm satisfied with its accuracy, that doesn't mean I always like what it has to say! Matter of fact, I went almost a year without stepping on it because we just weren't on speaking terms.

It tells me things I don't want to know, but at least, it's honest. Brutally honest...
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

Gosh, Lena, where did you ever find one of those scales? I've never seen them at Walmart. Did you go dumpster diving behind doctor's offices?

I've had my cheap Walmart analog scale since summer last year. I haven't been on any other scales (except my dad's antique analog scales (they agree!)) so I don't know how accurate it is. I'm hoping it's accurate because I wouldn't want to be 10 pounds heavier than I think I am (I've heard those horror stories). When I step on my scale and it shows 280 or 80 or I hear a spring break, then I'll replace it. But I've had it since I was 297 and weighed every day, and it still hasn't broken. Vive Walmart!!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #7  
Edge Of Glory

I was really asking this question because I always put my scale in the same spot all the time when I'm weighing myself, and today I decided to just check out weighing myself at a different spot and WHAM! 3 pounds were added. I was so pissed off. I weighed myself over and over again and still got that reading until I went back to my usual spot and it was back to where it was. I don't know which one to go by. 3 pounds is a LOT when you're trying to get under 320.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #8  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Virgo Chic - I have a Tanita scale (although I think it is a different model) and I have that same problem. In fact my last weigh in day I tried it in the same spot multiple times and got a different weight every time. I haven't figured out what to do about it yet. This had happened a few weeks before and I thought it was the battery, but I changed it and it happened again. I think the problem might lie in the feet and how flat the floor is. I definitely feel your pain.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #9  
Edge Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat
Virgo Chic - I have a Tanita scale (although I think it is a different model) and I have that same problem. In fact my last weigh in day I tried it in the same spot multiple times and got a different weight every time. I haven't figured out what to do about it yet. This had happened a few weeks before and I thought it was the battery, but I changed it and it happened again. I think the problem might lie in the feet and how flat the floor is. I definitely feel your pain.
Yeah, it happens to me sometimes when I weigh in the same spot too. Because of this, I tend to weigh myself about 3-4 times back to back to see what it comes up with, and I pick out the weight that shows up more than once. It usually ranges from 1-2 pounds. I know this is a horrible way to record your weight, but at the same time I know you shouldn't be a slave to the scale--but I need to be.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #10  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I bought my scale last April. It's a Taylor electronic, and cost $30. I weigh myself compulsively so I've had to change the battery a couple of times , but it seems to be pretty accurate. I periodically check it out using my dumb bells, and so far, it's matched up. TBH though, I'm not too bothered if it isn't 100% spot on. It's the weight change I'm interested in more than the actual figure itself.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #11  
Heather/Caterpillar

Mine is the same, I can move it from room to room and weight over a stone less depending on where I put it. I would say to leave it in one place, don't move it at all and worry less about what the numbers are, just be happy if they are going down!
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:43 PM   #12  
Embracing My New Normal

Quote:
Gosh, Lena, where did you ever find one of those scales? I've never seen them at Walmart. Did you go dumpster diving behind doctor's offices?
Hehe that's one way! Actually, I ordered it online. It's called DemeTech Health Scale. At $129 plus shipping (total came to about $160) it's a little pricey, but I think it was worth it. As I said, I don't plan on replacing it any time soon. I can hop off and on 4 times in a row and get the exact same number. I can move it about and get the exact same number, because it's balance weighted.

It was very easy assembly. I put it together in about 15 minutes, and I'm not particularly handy. The hardest part about it was lugging it upstairs!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 PM   #13  

Cool

I bought mine for $2.99 at Woolworths in 1964. It still works, even when I weighed more than the maximum. I've checked it against my doctor's scale and it is accurate (within a few ounces anyway.)
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:45 PM   #14  
Embracing My New Normal

Woohoo! Now that's what I call a bargain! Good investment!

Are there any Woolworth's anymore? I don't think I've seen one since the mid-1990s... They used to be all over the place.