Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 11:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Weigh In At Home 7/30-8/5

Hi Everyone

It's another scorcher here in Chicagoland. It wasn't terribly hot this morning, but very humid. They're predicting heat indices in the 100s. Yuck.

Judy - Welcome home. Hope you had a great vacation.

Well, I did pretty well last week. Had a bad day on Friday. Did very well on Saturday with the BBQ and did ok yesterday. What do I have to show for my efforts? A 5 pound gain. Of course, that was better than the 8 lb gain I saw on the scale on Sunday. I don't know what's up, but it was not happy. My rings aren't terribly tight so I don't think I'm retaining much water. Could be the scale. (Maybe I should just get rid of it like Jennifer did). My ankle and knee have been bothering me so I could have had my weight distributed unevenly. I also do have some fluid in my knee, but certainly not 5 pounds worth. Oh well, I can't fret about the gain or what exactly caused it. All I can do is keep moving forward. Had my "grilled cheese" for breakfast, have a vegetarian chili dinner for lunch, have my fruit, have my Cat Cookies from Trader Joes, so I'm good to go. I made my first visit to a Trajer Joes this weekend. Didn't get a chance to spend a lot of time in there, but like what I did see.

This week is blessedly free from challenges, so the outlook is good.

Here's to a great week for all of us.

Carla

260/265140

Old 07-30-2001, 12:23 PM   #2  
cookies are for browsers

Hi Carla,

I am SOOO jealous you have a Trader Joe's!!! I used to live in LA and I LOVE that store! Now, alas, no more, but I do have some lovely mountains to look at while I'm on my bike.

Yes, the pink bike is very happy once more. It is so fun to ride, everybody smiles when they see it. I like that. I think it helps motivate me. That, and we've had just stunning skies all summer. It's amazing to be outside with skies like that, especially at sunset. Who am I kidding. I am not doing this for exercise, I'm doing it for FUN! That really is the key for me. If it's playing, I'll do it. If it's going to a gym and pounding away on some boring thing while I have to look at prepubescent stick people, forget it! A friend of mine made me laugh so hard - she said those really thin girls aren't real; they don't have flesh, they have EXOSKELETONS and if you touch them it's all hard and scaly!!!!

Found a great motivating song. "Pride" by Robert Palmer. Something about exercising your life away... "she used to yield like flesh, now it's all muscle!" Very inspiring to know a hotty like Robert is concerned about anorexic imagery surrounding us.

Ditching the scale is always a good idea. Get healthy instead.

Gotta go,

Jennifa
Old 07-30-2001, 11:19 PM   #3  

Carla - Sorry about the gain, but you know you couldn't have eaten enough extra calories to gain that much. At least some of it must be water. Sounds like you are doing what you have to...forget about the gain and go on from here.

Jennifa - Glad to here your bike is happy once again. The fun kind of exercise is the best. You know it is something you'll want to do instead of thinking of it as something you have to do.

I had another maintain this week. I know I'm not following the program and can't seem to get myself back on track. I'm giving in to the emotional eating way too often. My boss is driving me nuts! I did get up for a walk this morning, but it was too hot to go out tonight.

Sara's appointment with the surgeon went well. He did the needle biopsy and we should have the results Friday. He said nodules on the thyroid are usually not cancer. As long as the biopsy comes out clear he said he would probably treat her with hormones first to see if she can avoid surgery.

Talk to you later.
Pat
(178/146/135)
Old 07-31-2001, 08:47 AM   #4  

Hello ladies,

Mind if I join you? I am a long-lost WW & 3FC member who has recently decided to return to the fold.

My long story made short -- lost 53lbs on WW before getting married in 1995. In the ensuing years gained it all back..... plus! :-( Some of that gain was due to depression... my husband and I were trying to conceive and having no luck. But thanks to help from a fertility clinic, we now have a beautiful son named Thomas. (Born 6-9-01)

So, here I am... doing WW at home in an effort to save $$. I actually plan on "paying" myself a weekly fee of some sort, then using that money to reward myself when I hit my final goal. I started today by taking Thomas in a walk around a pond that's near our area, so I've already gotten my requsite 20 min exercise in. (Yeah!)

TracyD
226/211/200 -- first mini goal
Old 07-31-2001, 09:42 AM   #5  
cookies are for browsers

Hi all,

Welcome Tracy D! I really like your plan of paying yourself. That is a good thing! Congratulations on your new son. You must be so happy!

Pat, good luck with Sara and her medical situation. We are sending healing thoughts her way.. ~~~~~~

Carla, I'm willing to bet that you have lost those 5 pounds already. Hang in there - you can do it!

Lyontamer, where are you? Post if you're lurking.

I just read an article about the "safety" of personal data on the web. It's pretty frightening. It's at msnbc.com if anyone is interested, but I thought I'd mention it here and let you all know to be careful about the information you have out there on the internet.

Rode my bike up a HUGE hill last night and EARNED the thrill of riding back down it!

Hope you all stick to your plans for a great week! I am going to have to get to a scale sometime in the next few days to see how I'm doing, but I think I'm doing well. Hope so!

Jennifa
Old 07-31-2001, 01:19 PM   #6  

Hi everyone.

Jennifa - I'm glad to hear that the pink bike is back in action! So what did you use to get at Trader Joe's that you really liked? I didn't get much of a chance to shop it last time, but plan on hitting it again soon and really scoping everything out. Gosh - I haven't heard anything by Robert Palmer in a long time and I really like him. Might have to pay a visit to Amazon.com.....

Pat - I'm so glad to hear that the outlook is good for Sara. Now hang in there and jump back OP. Your boss might be driving you crazy, but don't let him drive you to fat. I know how hard controlling emotioinal eating is. But you must be doing more right than wrong since you had a maintain, not a gain.

Tracy - Welcome! We're always happy to make new friends! Congratulations on the birth of your son! What a precious gift, especially when its a struggle to get pregnant. I like the idea of paying yourself.

Well, Jennifa is right - most of that gain - three pounds - is gone. Now I hope the other two will leave and take a friend or two with them. Had a good day yesterday. I knew that I would want some leftover birthday cake, so I made sure I had enough points to enjoy some. Doing good today as well.

Have a great day everyone.

Carla
Old 07-31-2001, 05:25 PM   #7  

Hi Gals,

Lost a pound this week, of course I am sure I will undo that tonight as hubby and I go out for chinese. I do have some banked points though, and I am drinking tons of water today, because you know how chinese food makes you retain water!

Carla~ I wonder if some of your weight gain is caused by the nasty hummidity, I used to live in chicago and I know the scale really would'nt budge for me when it was sticky out!

Jennifa~ Boy that's the best kind of excercise, the kind you enjoy!
thanks for the reminder about safety on the net, it is so easy to forget that sometimes.

Pat~ A maintain on the scale is better than a gain, I would take that any old day. I am sure everything with sara will be all right, I wish her the best of luck!

Tracy~ Welcome, this is a good bunch here, you will find lots of support! I got married the same year as you, we don't have any children yet, I figure I should get some of this weight off first! Good luck to you in your weight loss journey.

That's all for now ladies, i have to jump on the treadmill !
Everyone have a great week!

Maryjo
Old 07-31-2001, 06:00 PM   #8  

Maryjo - Congrats on the loss. Guzzle, guzzle, guzzle that water and try to make the best choices you can for dinner.

Carla
Old 07-31-2001, 10:07 PM   #9  

TracyD - Welcome to the group and congratulations on the birth of your son. Way to go getting in your walk. I like the idea of paying yourself. I did that years ago and then bought a ring to remind myself of my weight loss.

Jennifa - Glad you're getting back to riding the bike. I remember how much fun it used to be to ride down a big hill with the wind blowing my hair.

Carla - Glad most of the gain is gone. You're right about not letting my boss drive me to gain weight. I WILL get back in control.

Maryjo - Congratulations on the loss. Keep guzzling the water. I hadn't thought about it, but I do seem to have trouble losing when its really humid (like now!) even when I am OP.

I did a little better foodwise today. Still not completely OP, but moving in the right direction. I did take a walk tonight, but didn't walk very fast because of the heat.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Old 08-01-2001, 08:25 AM   #10  

Hi ladies!

Yesterday I did well. The only thing I was 'short' on was the water... 4 out of 6 glasses. Have to work on that. But since its been awhile since I drank water, I guess 4 glasses isn't bad!

Last night was rough. I have... or had 2 pet parrots, but since Thomas was born I haven't had time for them...so I made the very hard decision to place them in good homes. (With experienced bird owners) My birds new "mommies" came to take them to their new homes.. and while I KNOW it was the right decision, I still cried and cried. What helps is that these ladies don't live that far away... I can visit them if I like, and both have promised to keep me updated about the birds.

It was strange to wake up and see that empty spot in the living room where their cages used to be....

Tracy
227/211/200 -- first mini goal
Old 08-01-2001, 09:02 AM   #11  

Hi everyone -

Pat - Glad to hear you're moving in the right direction to being OP. I think Mary Jo is on to something with the humidity. Whether or not it keeps me from losing, it sure makes me feel miserable. I applaud you for taking your walk, despite the heat.

Tracy - I know it must have been tough giving up your parrots. Here's some {{{hugs}}} for you. Don't forget you can count up to three glasses of non-caffinated beverages towards your water. I love drinking my water and I love what it does for my skin, but sometimes, especially on weekends, I just don't stop to get it in. I'm working on it.

Judy - Where are you?

Yesterday was a toughie. I had horrible chocolate cravings in the afternoon which I tried to ignore, even though I had points to indulge them. I finally got some peanut butter M&Ms for the train ride home. And then I got hit with a snack attack in the evening. I was tired and a bit down in the dump, which is always dangerous. To make a long story short, I'm over points for yesterday. On the bright side, I snacked in a very controlled way - measured things, etc. and didn't just start shoving food in my face. I'll work on doing damange control today.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-01-2001, 10:50 AM   #12  

Hi all - still here although I won't really be able to catch up/post this week. Vacation was great although I was more than a bit OP. Tony was on a search for an "old time" hot fudge Sunday and I helped. The good thing was that we played tennis every day except one and on that day I went for a run/walk. We didn't get back in time for me to weigh in Sat and I'll be (hopefully) going down to D.C. on Friday afternoon to see some fitness friends so I won't get to weigh in until Sat. 8/10 - a blessing in disguise.

Over the weekend, I developed a very bad muscle spasm in a neck/shoulder spot and was out for Mon and yesterday with medication and compresses. While I'm back to work (from home) I have to limit my computer time to work only since being at the computer is a strain on the healing area. So, I'll pretty much be AWOL until Monday of next week. I hope you are all doing well - I'm climbing back OP and have had 3 pretty good days - I haven't been as successful in varying my points and since I haven't been exercising I'm working with a 3 point deficit - not terrible - I hope to whittle that away by the end of the week.

Anyway, {{{{{HUGS}}}}} to all and "see you" next week,
Judy
Old 08-02-2001, 12:51 AM   #13  

Tracy - It must have been hard giving up your parrots, but at least you can visit them. For some reason water is hard for me. I guess I just get busy and forget about drinking.

Carla - Good for you for measuring your snacks and at least keeping track of what you were doing. That is a major accomplishment.

Judy - Welcome back. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your neck. Take it easy so you can go on your D.C. trip.

I'm still not counting points, but do think I'm making better choices (and working on getting in the water). I'm trying not to let my boss get to me. I wish he would make up his mind about retirement though. I took another (slow) walk tonight. Sure hope it cools down soon.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Old 08-02-2001, 02:34 PM   #14  

Hi everyone -

We had a monsoon here in downtown Chicago - 4 inches of rain in less than an hour. It was pitch black outside too. Luckily I don't think we got much rain where I live, so I won't be swimming in my basement tonight. It's cooler, but still awfully muggy.

Judy - Welcome home. I'm so sorry about the muscle spasm. Sounds really painful. So, I have to know, did you ever find your old-time hot fudge sundae?

Pat - Glad to hear you're making better choices and working on getting your water in. You'll be completely back on track soon.

Yesterday I really strugged and it was not pretty. But, I'm back at it today. The "old way" part of my mind said "Just blow it off - what's another day?" but the "new way" part of mind mind wasn't interested. So, I'm making progress, I guess.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 08-02-2001, 07:41 PM   #15  

Carla - Hope your basement is dry. It's supposed to rain here tomorrow and get a little cooler. I sure hope so. Good job getting right back OP. That is one thing Darrell (naturally thin) taught me. He might overeat one day, but the next day he is right back to healthy eating. I'm still working on that one.

I had a pretty good day today. I haven't been for my walk yet, but I'm on early tonight. I plan on going out when the sun goes down.

Talk to you later.
Pat
Closed Thread