Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-22-2006, 08:09 PM   #1  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Default How much weight does Plastic Surgery take off?

How much weight does Plastic Surgery take off? Now, I know that this question is so highly individual depending on the person, the weight loss, ect. But how much is healthy to take off? I have done a bunch of reading about normal lipo and it seems as if they won't take out more than 6lbs of fat. But, for "bariatric" procedures (which seems to be what they pretty much call body contouring for everyone who has lost lots of weight) seem to take off lots more, like up to 20lbs or so. Is it the skin that weighs this much?

I need to re-read that faq on plastic surgery. But I am just getting really excited/nervous about it.

HUBS---- I meet with my surgeon on April 11......so if all goes well we just might end up being buddies with this!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:20 PM   #2  

Wow Charlotte, we're VERY close in size too!

Are you nervous about it? I didn't have my procedures by lap so I have a huge amount of scarring from my incisions.

I've heard around 20 pounds is average. Give or take 5 either way.
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:28 PM   #3  

I would think it depends on how long it's been since you lost the weight and how much exercise you have done. I had a lot more loose skin at one time than I do now. But, even though I have been at my current weight and worked out faithfully for several years, I still have a bit of loose skin, notably a handful at the bottom of my belly, some on the back of my arms, and lets not even discuss my once proud DD cups which are now barely Bs and oh-so-grateful for underwire bras!!

Anyway, I suspect if you removed my excess skin (other than the barely-Bs of course), you wouldn't get more than 10 pounds, probably not even that.

I confess I often wonder about it!
DancingAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #4  
Meg

Last edited by Meg; 12-18-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #5  
Co-Mod

Hubs- I am very nervous, but I have worked so hard and am still so young. And after a lifetime of being nothing but the fat girl, I want a body that I can be proud of and this is really what it is going to take so.....
We will have to keep each other updated every occasionally.

Meg- I don't know how much fat he is planning on removing (hopefully lots! ). I will be asking him all sorts of questions like that on April 11.
Also, Meg, are you pleased that you got plastic surgery? Do you think it was worth it for you?
Old 03-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #6  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkingchica
Also, Meg, are you pleased that you got plastic surgery? Do you think it was worth it for you?
I would do it again in a heartbeat. It was 110% worth it.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #7  

Quote:
Hubs- I am very nervous, but I have worked so hard and am still so young. And after a lifetime of being nothing but the fat girl, I want a body that I can be proud of and this is really what it is going to take so.....
We will have to keep each other updated every occasionally.

Meg- I don't know how much fat he is planning on removing (hopefully lots! ). I will be asking him all sorts of questions like that on April 11.
At 350 or there abouts, almost all of my weight was concentrated on my abdomen. One of the symptoms of Cushing's Syndrome is the pendulous abdomen. I also had four pregnancies with 9 and 10 pound babies and carried them all out front to boot. So my leftover skin is very, very pendulous and concentrated on my belly. I doubt somehow that they would remove more than 13-15 pounds tops. But I could be wrong about that. When I had my breasts done, even though they were literally down to my waist it took off only about 5 pounds and I could practically roll them up to fit into a bra by then. Not much breast tissue or fat. Just skin, skin and more skin.

I understand what you're saying about being young and wanting your body to be tight. Believe me, even at 49 I understand that. We'll have to be sure to post updates and keep in touch. Its a scary prospect isn't it?
hubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #8  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

About how much money does something like this cost?
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #9  
Co-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtjoray
About how much money does something like this cost?

Check the faq link that Meg posted on my last post here on this subject and you can scroll down and check it out.

For all the work I need/want done (tummy, arms, thighs) I am guesstimating that it will cost roundabouts $10,000 at least (for my surgeon in my area) out of pocket...........so it isn't something to take lightly ().
Old 04-11-2006, 10:09 PM   #10  
Co-Mod

Quote:
Check the faq link that Meg posted on my last post here on this subject and you can scroll down and check it out.

For all the work I need/want done (tummy, arms, thighs) I am guesstimating that it will cost roundabouts $10,000 at least (for my surgeon in my area) out of pocket...........so it isn't something to take lightly ().

Nice Guess Charlotte....... try more like $30,000!! Yikes.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #11  
Chicky

S/C/G: 250/155.2/130

Height: 5'6.25"

Just wondering, as I am hoping to make it to my goal eventually, how much extra skin does everyone have? And does the skin do a lot better when you lose it without surgery? Right now I am already thinking, lipo, thigh lift, tummy tuck, and small breast implants with a lift. Though I am hoping to avoid having to do my arms.
SupersizedChicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

Height: 5'7"

I think it has a lot of factors. Some will have very elastic skin and some not. Currently I feel very blessed that it looks like my arms and breasts are my only loose skin areas. But it is dependant on the person.
I'm 36 5'7" and started at 260 and down to 193. at 165 it nay very well be a different story altogether.
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #13  

Hi. I had a tummy tuck done on 2-7-06 and the plastic surgeon removed 4 and 1/2 pounds of excess skin and fat. I once weighed 296 lbs and at the time of my tummy tuck weighed 164 and now I weight 151. I had gastric bypass surgery 3 years this July.
drmwvr1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:01 PM   #14  
I want to loose it all!

S/C/G: 265/230/145

From my wieght loss, I have a saggy tummy that I constantly have to "tuck in" my pants. Its embarrassing!!! I have named it "the flap" My breasts are sagging even more, but I also just had a baby a year ago. My arms are starting to tone up from the physically endurance of my job, (constantly lifting and moving things around), which is leading to saggy skin flaps known as "bat wings". When I get to my goal wieght, I plan on having a tummy tuck, lipo in my tights, breast reduction and augmentation(put my girls up where they belong), and my arm fat/skin removed. That will be my treat to myself for all the hard work I put into my self transformation
Cholie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #15  

Red face I had gastric bypass & tummy tuck/thigh lift

Hi. I am cheryl from Pa.
I had my gastric bypass 4 years ago the end of this month of may 2006.
I started at 377 lbs and now weigh 240. I got down to 190 but ate the ''wrong'' foods and gained some back. I have now devoted myself to much healthier eating and regular exercise. I lost all that weight with NO exercise at all. I had a full tummy tuck with thigh lift last aug of 2005. My plastic surgeon took off 8 lbs of skin from my belly and 1.5 lbs off each inner thigh.
I think I would do the plastic surgery again, however, I'm not sure.

There is a big difference, however, one side back from the tummy tuck is swelling. I mean SWELLING. We girls call it swell h*ll. I can go to bed one size and wake up another size without breaking a sweat. It is very frustrating to me and I'm not happy about it at this time. I cannot say for certain if i would do that part over again. Maybe when the swelling subsides, I can feel different. The plastic surgeon (ps) told me swelling in the abdomen region from such a traumatic operation can last anywhere from 6 to 18 months. She also said months #7-10 are the worst. Go figure I am in month 7. I feel and look pregnant.

Maybe it will go down, but it is not going down fast enough for me. There are so many factors. If i exercise, I swell more. If I dont exercise, I am not toning up. Bla Bla. I dont know what to do anymore. I am supposed to get married in aug/sept, and at this point, I cant even order a dress for fear of it not fitting.
bikerchickinpa is offline   Reply With Quote