Has anyone done a colon detox/cleanse?
What kind have you done?
How long did you do it for?
Was it hard?
Are you glad you did it?

Feel free to give any advice I really want to know all about it. :D

lighthouse33
03-22-2006, 12:44 AM
I've been doing colon cleanse once every other month. And yes it does work. While taking it I have at least 2 bowl movements a day. The brand I use is called Health Pluse Super Colon Cleanse. Its sold at GNC (that's the only place I've found it in my area). I pay $14.99. You can only take it every couple of months so for colon maintenance I take the Health Plus the orginial colon cleanse. But you should do a little more reseach first before taking it because there is some side effects. And be sure to check with your Dr. to see if its right for you. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Suzanne 3FC
03-22-2006, 01:43 AM
A colon cleanse will cause you to have a lot of bowel movements, but it doesn't "detox" or help with weight loss. Detox and colon cleansing is the latest health scam and is really not necessary. You'll frequently run across products that offer to "detox" the system, which is actually not necessary or even possible. The body is naturally cleansing. It's a myth, a hoax. They are widely known for using scare tactics to sell their products. The advertisements can sound so convincing that it's easy to believe them, but that's what good marketing is all about.

What these products will do is cause diarrhea and fluid loss. They won't improve your health, or assist burning of fat. Doctors recommend we eat 25 grams of fiber daily, and drink about 8 glasses of water each day, to keep our bowels moving, healthy, and naturally cleansed.

If you are curious about detoxing, please check out these articles for surprising facts that may change your mind.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/colon-cleansing/AN00065

http://www.acsh.org/factsfears/newsID.194/news_detail.asp

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/100/105845.htm

sweet_pea
03-22-2006, 08:12 AM
i have seen studies done by consumers institute in england and new zealand. both have shown that there are zero benefits from detox or cleanses...

will check out those links thanks suzanne

jillybean720
03-22-2006, 08:40 AM
While taking it I have at least 2 bowl movements a day.
LOL if that's the goal, I could do that by just eating a ton of fiber--or some greasy fast food :devil: :p

MrsJim
03-23-2006, 07:04 AM
I saw an advert for Colon Cleanse (don't know if it's the same product the original post is referring to as it appears there are several on the market with similar names) in Health Magazine - the main active ingredient appears to be Psyllium - which is the *same* active ingredient in Metamucil!

Hmmm....that might tell you something...what's that saying? "There is nothing new under the sun..." :shrug:

They can call it detox and make it sound like a great weight-loss aid but what it comes down to is - it's all just fiber and laxatives.

pumpingiron
03-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Eating super clean will give you all the "detox" you need!

junebug41
03-23-2006, 04:21 PM
I saw an advert for Colon Cleanse (don't know if it's the same product the original post is referring to as it appears there are several on the market with similar names) in Health Magazine - the main active ingredient appears to be Psyllium - which is the *same* active ingredient in Metamucil!

Hmmm....that might tell you something...what's that saying? "There is nothing new under the sun..." :shrug:

They can call it detox and make it sound like a great weight-loss aid but what it comes down to is - it's all just fiber and laxatives.

I was reading up on psyllium as a supplement- yikes!!!! Even the bottle label makes it sound dangerous.

Ready2ShedLBS
03-30-2006, 11:07 PM
I did a detox once upon a time, and all it really did was make me pee ALOT but my skin did look better. But as far as weight loss. Nah. I didnt lose any weight. Thats not why I did it though. I just did one when I stopped eatting crap because i felt like I needed a flush.

Lill
04-15-2006, 05:35 PM
What about a liver cleanse?

Lill/Elva

Mamacita
04-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Interesting thread. I'm not convinced that our bodies naturally cleanse themselves, though. If that were the case, we'd never have gallstones, kidney stones, appendicitis, acne, cirrhosis of the liver, cancer, etc....

But, I do believe that most of the products that are sold for the sole purpose of "cleansing and detoxing" are just scams.

Years back, I had a coworker who just plain looked "toxic". Her complexion was muddy, her hair dull and lifeless, her breath stank and she had horrible body odor. It wasn't that she never bathed or brushed her teeth, either.

She was a complete junk food junkie. A couple of months after we started working together I asked her if she'd be interested in starting a weight loss program with me and she did.

Within a couple of weeks of her new regimen of drinking water instead of cola, eating salads and lean proteins instead of chips and cookies, her skin started to clear up and her halitosis gradually diminished. After a couple of months, she'd not only lost weight, but her skin lost all the muddiness and her hair became shiny and she even said it stopped breaking. And better yet, her frequent stomach aches were gone along with the bad breath.

sweet_pea
04-17-2006, 08:26 PM
that is interesting. we have a tv show that is sort of like htat

they take unhealthy people who have to eat healthily. but also they take people in perfect health who have to do the unhealthy people's previous diet for 2 weeks. at the end of those 2 weeks the healthy people are usually a wreck from overeating and underexercising. and they have bad complexions, diarrhoea or constipation and a whole host of problems. it gets you thinkin

pumpingiron
04-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Interesting thread. I'm not convinced that our bodies naturally cleanse themselves, though. If that were the case, we'd never have gallstones, kidney stones, appendicitis, acne, cirrhosis of the liver, cancer, etc....

They will if you treat them correctly. All those things you listed could be avoided if we do not abuse ourselves with crap food and toxins.

jillybean720
04-18-2006, 12:23 PM
They will if you treat them correctly. All those things you listed could be avoided if we do not abuse ourselves with crap food and toxins.
Exactly! I've never heard of anyone who ate mostly fruits, veggies, lean meats, lean dairy, and whole grains have any major "toxin"-related problems (without an underlying medical condition, for which a cleanse wouldn't help anyway). Even with processed treats included in the diet sparingly, as long as you're getting enough water, fiber, and nutrients and not getting too much other garbage, your body should be good to go! ;)

1TiredGradStudent
04-18-2006, 01:49 PM

But, I do believe that most of the products that are sold for the sole purpose of "cleansing and detoxing" are just scams.

Years back, I had a coworker who just plain looked "toxic". Her complexion was muddy, her hair dull and lifeless, her breath stank and she had horrible body odor. It wasn't that she never bathed or brushed her teeth, either.

She was a complete junk food junkie. A couple of months after we started working together I asked her if she'd be interested in starting a weight loss program with me and she did.

Within a couple of weeks of her new regimen of drinking water instead of cola, eating salads and lean proteins instead of chips and cookies, her skin started to clear up and her halitosis gradually diminished. After a couple of months, she'd not only lost weight, but her skin lost all the muddiness and her hair became shiny and she even said it stopped breaking. And better yet, her frequent stomach aches were gone along with the bad breath.

Actually, the story of your coworker illustrates that the body *IS* designed to cleanse and detoxify itself. What it is not designed to do is to derive its nutrition from fatty, greasy, sugary, highly processed foods. Those are the things that lead to the ailments that you mention, not the body's inability to remove impurities. It removes them very nicely, up to a point. Beyond that point, the impurities build up and cause disease, not because of the body's inefficiency or inability, but because it was simply given too much garbage to deal with.

sweet_pea
04-18-2006, 07:58 PM
but... the point of a "cleanse" is most people don't eat a whole food diet full of fresh fruit veges grains or whatever so a cleansing or detox period of removing harmful foods/toxins from the body does help people

jillybean720
04-18-2006, 08:15 PM
but... the point of a "cleanse" is most people don't eat a whole food diet full of fresh fruit veges grains or whatever so a cleansing or detox period of removing harmful foods/toxins from the body does help people
I guess, to me, it's what we refer to as the "firefighter mentality." Rather than working to prevent the problem (eating less processed crap), people continue on with bad habits and then just expect to be able to flush out months (or even years) of garbage in a few days. What good is it if you're just going to go right back to eating the same crap and overloading your naturally-efficient system?

You don't have to eat a completely clean diet in order to stay healthy (or untoxified or whatever). Heck, I doubt anyone in this day and age can actually eat a 100% clean diet. Even things like milk and some fruit have chemicals and additives. However, as long as you make mostly good choices, your body can normally handle the rest (bar any underlying health conditions). Even Mamacita's story shows how much we can benefit from cutting back from mostly junk to having junk in moderation.

SwimGirl
04-18-2006, 10:19 PM
I am considering doing a detox myself, now normally I eat clean, don't eat out very often, all of that. Now I took antibiotics about 2-3 weeks ago and my stomach is STILL unsettled. It's been recommended for me to do a certain detox to help my stomach back on the road to recovery, and I agree, nothing I am doing is working currently.

Is it good for weight loss? Perhaps, but that can't be the only reason you do it. Thats just my 2 cents though..

-Aimee

Ready2ShedLBS
04-18-2006, 11:04 PM
SwimGirl - were you told to do a Candida Cleanse?

1TiredGradStudent
04-18-2006, 11:09 PM
I guess, to me, it's what we refer to as the "firefighter mentality." Rather than working to prevent the problem (eating less processed crap), people continue on with bad habits and then just expect to be able to flush out months (or even years) of garbage in a few days. What good is it if you're just going to go right back to eating the same crap and overloading your naturally-efficient system?

You don't have to eat a completely clean diet in order to stay healthy (or untoxified or whatever). Heck, I doubt anyone in this day and age can actually eat a 100% clean diet. Even things like milk and some fruit have chemicals and additives. However, as long as you make mostly good choices, your body can normally handle the rest (bar any underlying health conditions). Even Mamacita's story shows how much we can benefit from cutting back from mostly junk to having junk in moderation.

Exactly!!

SwimGirl
04-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Ready2ShedLBS - it was the Wild Rose Detox, my mom actually has done the it before and it was pretty good for her. Our doctor also recommended it for me as well.

-Aimee

msspears33
04-23-2006, 09:03 PM
You all are correct regarding eating right and all that jazz. I just recently started eating a lot healthier, but have always had digestive problems because of my previous diet. I found this website http://www.drnatura.com, and was curious, so I ordered it. Whoa momma, you would not believe the things that are coming out of my body. Lets just say that I haven't eaten a green bean in a verylong time, and well those same green beans just recently reappered! This stuff is amazing, and it has flattened out my stomach a considerable amount. Not that I have lost a lot of weight because of it, but I don't have this weird hard mass in my abdomen anymore. That was hardened fecal matter stuck in my intestines.

Misti in Seattle
04-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Well I am glad you liked it. I looked at the site and there is no way on earth I would ever take that stuff!!!! :)

Mamacita, that is interesting about the person with halitosis. I have a problem with that also and am hoping that with all the water I am drinking, especially the daily lemon water (which I also heard would help) along with healthful eating, it will clear up. LOL don't try to diagram that sentence!! :)

hockeyfan7
04-24-2006, 07:17 PM
If you want to do a colon cleanse, ask your doctor to sign you up for a colonoscopy. After drinking that nasty stuff, you'll never be in a hurry to do one again! Yuck!!! The prep was WAY worse than the procedure itself.

nkenga
05-18-2006, 12:29 AM
AIf you are curious about detoxing, please check out these articles for surprising facts that may change your mind.

The articles you listed had journalists, doctors, and nutritionists stating their opinions about colon cleansing, but none were actual studies showing that cleanses are ineffective. If you would post a link to such a study, I think it would have more validity.

For now, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that they work, and very little (actually, none that I have seen) anecdotal evidence that they don't work. Until I actually see a study showing the effectiveness OR ineffectiveness of doing cleanses, I will have to go with the anecdotal evidence.

Misti in Seattle
05-18-2006, 02:26 AM
Personally before I put something that "extreme" into my body I would want to see clear evidence that they DID work and were not harmful, rather than "going with" anecdotal evidence" that they ARE effective and that I was not doing something detrimental to my health. Just my two cents worth.

evierama
06-18-2006, 02:18 PM
Explain why so many diets have an induction period? LAWL is only 2 days, Atkins 2 weeks, South Beach 2 weeks and I'm told WW has one but i've never seen anything about that.:(

karistiana
07-02-2006, 11:09 AM
Just now coming across this post. The program I use is a full body cleansing system, that I have been using successfully for over 12 weeks now, and it's not at all nasty. I've lost 47 lbs so far, and went from a size 22W to a reg 16. I love the program, and it's worked well for a lot of people. I like the whole idea of cleansing and detoxing my body, and I feel great doing it!

rebeleagle1965
07-02-2006, 01:39 PM
I just ordered the drnatura product, too, after a family member tried and raved about it. I've been wanting to try a cleanse for a while, but never really believed enough to buy until someone I knew PERSONALLY gave me all the details. I haven't tried it yet-it will be here tomorrow.
Actually, the need for cleansing does make sense to me. I have had problems for many years with my digestive system, that were only made worse by my dieting lately. I KNOW I have to have build up. Colon cancer rates are on the rise, and it's probably due to all of the processed foods we eat. No matter how clean I eat now, I don't see it correcting the problems I've created for myself over the last 27 years...I don't know anyone who has only eaten unprocessed foods their entire life! If we have a buildup in the colon, we cannot process foods normally or quickly enough, slowing digestion, and much worse. It can cause autointoxication, which is a REAL problem, not just something made up by people trying to sell us anything. Symptoms of this problem range from halitosis, dullness in hair and skin, fatigue, headaches, depression, gas, constipation, and lowered immune system abilities. The list goes on and on. Our blood is "fed" by the bowels, which is how we get nutrients from our food, so if those are unhealthy, it makes sense to me that our whole bodies could be.
Which is not to mention the fact that we don't give much thought to intestinal parasites. I decided to do a little research on my own on the net, and was horrified at the statistical findings....
National Geographic has reported that parasites have killed more humans than all the wars in history. Studies by universities in the US and Canada have shown results of between 30-80% infection of the tested population, and it's MUCH worse in lesser developed countries. Your risk is much greater if you've ever traveled to say, africa, mexico, india, etc.
Some studies have indicated that up to 40% of people in the U.S. diagnosed with IBS actually have parasites, most of which are not found in routine testing. The World Health Organization has estimated that about half of the world's population is infected with intestinal parasites, and that only 10% of those people ever display clinical illness related to them.
Most of the cleanses I've seen are combinations of psyllium, flaxseed, fiber, etc. All herbal ingredients. That has to be healthier than the chemicals and laxatives I've been downing for the last decade just to be able to go to the bathroom!

FairyWinx
07-03-2006, 01:08 AM
I'd love to hear how it works for you. I've often thought of tryiing a colon cleanse too.