General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #1  
goy

Default does anyone here have MS?

i looked for a health section on the board and didnt notice one, so i am hoping it is ok to ask this here....

wondering if anyone else has MS here? and if you are on meds..... and how you are feeling, and do you find the healthy eating and working out helps you?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Hi there. You might check out Dieting with Obstacles or PM BeachCait who posts in Weight Watchers.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #3  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

My mom has MS, and she's recently lost about 40 lbs - and it's made a HUGE difference in her life. She started with Weight Watchers last August, and started going to the gym in December. She's gone from barely being able to walk to the store, depending on how her legs were feeling, to suggesting we climb a mountain when I visit her this summer! She has way more energy and isn't feeling the effects of MS nearly as much anymore. She's been on Betaseron (the one where you give yourself a shot every other day) for about 4 years now, and it certainly made a difference - her last MRI showed that the progession has slowed way down. For overall health, though, and managing her MS and it's symptoms, weight loss has definitely been the biggest help. Hope this helps you - good luck!
Old 03-21-2006, 05:38 PM   #4  
goy

thanks...

i will be starting my meds tonight, i will be taking rebif......... where i give myself a needle every two days........

for me my symptoms are pretty mild....... and for that i am thankful, but i know the healthy eating and shedding lbs, and weight training,and cardio does nothing but good for my MS>
Old 03-22-2006, 01:13 PM   #5  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Hey there...
So strange that I came across this thread. I just finished reading a chapter on MS in "8 Weeks to Optimal Health" by Dr. Weil. The just of the chapter was this: Certain vitamins and suppliments will help greatly. I am currently reading this book as a cancer survivor looking to prevent any relapses...I totally trust what this Dr. has to say. He is basically all about using Natural supplement in conjuction with western Meds to gain FULL health...

you should check it out!

He also has a web site. Just type Dr. Weil into the search .

good luck, I understand how frustrating it is to deal with unsatisfactory health..my best to you!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #6  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Hey fitgal2... I read in Nutrition Action Healthletter about the fact that Dr. Weil makes a lot of money selling supplements. I'm not saying what he recommends isn't valid, but it's something to keep in mind.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 PM   #7  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

yeah I heard that too. I have seen them in stores and they are comparible to multi's. But I do think he has a good point about using suppliments (not necessarily a pill but certain foods too). I mean our westernized way of life has our bodies lacking many many nutrients...not to mention the chemicals we injest everyday....he talks alot about the bodies own natural healing system and how to get it to work better...
Old 03-24-2006, 07:11 AM   #8  

Speaking of Andrew Weil, my neuro highly recommends his "Healthy Aging" diet as well as the Swank diet. He believes that an anti-inflammatory diet does wonders for MS, both in helping with symptoms and prolonging the time between relapses or addtional demyelation.

He also recommends taking a multivitamin, vitamin D through calcium supplements and Fish Oil capsules for Omega-3s. Probably good for all of us, regardless if you have MS or not.

Yes, I have MS. I was officially diagnosed in Feb but knew after an episode in Sept. I am on Avonex and just getting back to exercisng and eating well. I know eating right again has made me feel a lot better.
Closed Thread