Exercise! - Coast to Coast Challenge....SIGN-UP

HealthierMe
03-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Love to walk? Don't love it but you are doing it anyways ? Up for a challenge?

JOIN US IN THE COAST TO COAST CHALLENGE

A group of started with the "March of the Chicks" challenge as we tried to meet a collective goal of 1 million steps. We met that goal last week :carrot:

Now. we want to collectively log enough steps/miles to walk "virtually, through the magic of computers" across the US, via Interstate I-90. We'll start near Boston, MA in a little town called Hopedale and we'll walk our way to Seattle, Washington. As we pass through an area that our fellow chicks live near, we'll invite them to share a little about it. If we get the technology thing down, we can post pictures of the area, too.

Since we all have a different stride length we've settled on a standard of 10K steps equaling 5 miles.

There a bit of planning left, so the plan is to start Saturday, March 25th. Hopedale's an very interesting little town, and I'll post a little about that too.

If you'd like to join in, please add a post signing up hear and then we will start walking/logging on Saturday. I will establish a separate thread then. To make the tracking easier.

Join us, won't you.
I still have a bit of mapping to go, but we

Less of Lena
03-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Yippee! Got my trusty pedo in my pocket and I'm ready to start steppin'!

Thanks, Chris, for getting this together!

HealthierMe
03-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Yay, Lena you are the first to sign-up, or second I guess :D . I e-mailed the moderator for the exercise forum and asked her to sticky this thread.

This should be fun, I can't wait to get my new sneakers and pedometer this weekend.

Walk with you soon :dancer:

Misti in Seattle
03-20-2006, 11:18 PM
===raising hand=== Me me me. I am ready to go!! :dance: And I too have brand new sneakers LOL

Yes, thanks for all your hard work in organizing this!

Less of Lena
03-21-2006, 01:18 AM
Stickied! Hot diggity! Thanks to whichever power-that-be did it!

Glad to see you here, Dance! Boy, with the two of you having new sneakers... wow! We're gonna tear across country at lightning speed! Zoom!

Misti in Seattle
03-21-2006, 01:33 AM
LOL yah she got it stickied! This is the sign up thread so not sure if we are supposed to be chatting here LOL but soon we will have the second thread! This is exciting... wow I wonder when I will come walking in home LOL... it's a LONG way from MA. :dance:

Less of Lena
03-21-2006, 01:41 AM
This is the sign up thread so not sure if we are supposed to be chatting here

Whoops! :o Shhhhhh :sssh: Won't say another word then!

:ziplip: ((zips lips and tiptoes out of the room)) :D

Michele L
03-21-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm in, too!

Michele :wave:

Jayde
03-21-2006, 08:43 AM
HI
I would love to go on this stroll with all of you across the country. It sounds like a lot of fun.

I better dust off my walking shoes.

Jayde

LadyFirelyght
03-21-2006, 08:52 AM
You gals know I'm in! I can't wait to get started. :running:

Misti in Seattle
03-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Yay :welcome: Jayde and Lydia. Yeh Lydia we were kind of expecting you! :)

Jayde, glad you decided to join in too!

HealthierMe
03-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Welcome to:

Michele
Jayde
Lydia

That's 6 of us! The countdown begins...4 days to go. Get your sneakers and pedometers ready :carrot:

spcdcider
03-22-2006, 07:14 AM
Can I join in? I have sneakers and pedometer ready!
Kathy

Misti in Seattle
03-22-2006, 07:50 AM
Hi Kathy... glad you are joining us! :welcome3:

Jayde
03-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to the exercise as much as I am to the geography lessons and friendship.

u... How many miles is this route?

BaileySG
03-22-2006, 03:56 PM
do you need a pedometer to do this or can you go by miles? If miles are ok - I would love to join!

Misti in Seattle
03-22-2006, 07:56 PM
No you don't need a pedometer at all! Miles are what it is all about! Great having you, Bailey! And Jayde, HM is our mileage keeper LOL so I am sure she will be posting more info soon!

Jayde
03-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Bailey, I hadn't planned on wearing a pedometer but only logging in miles from the treadmill. I'm glad you are joining us.

Joy, I gotta get my road atlas dusted off...
Maybe I will even post it on the wall..

HealthierMe
03-23-2006, 06:28 AM
Welcome to Bailey and Jayde :woo:

I thought I had responded yesterday, but I think that I previewed and never submitted, oops! As Dance said mileage is just fine, a lot of are using pedometers, but really either way. In fact with mileage it'll be even easier to track.

I am glad that you'll both be joining us. :)

...and the mileage from Hopedale to Seattle is 3,066 miles. No problem, we can tackle that, right?

The chat/walking thread is up now, so if you haven't already please sign-up here, but we can chat over there. We'll start logging our steps on Saturday, only 2 days to go....

No Spring Chick
03-23-2006, 12:37 PM
What a great idea. I would love to join you all so sign me up!

Apple Blossom
03-23-2006, 03:21 PM
I would love to join in, but do I have to use a pedometer? I was planning on just using the distance I cover on my exercise route....
Maybe I'll get a pedometer just for fun. Are the expensive?

Apple Blossom
03-23-2006, 03:24 PM
OOPS I should have kept reading the thread....:^: Well, see you Sat!

Less of Lena
03-23-2006, 07:24 PM
This is great! Looks like we have at least 10 folks already! We're going to cover the distance at lightning speed!

HealthierMe
03-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Welcome No Spring chick and Apple blossom, glad to have you on board. :)

Misti in Seattle
03-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Yay :welcome3: No Spring Chick and Apple Blossom! Glad you are joining up with us!

Misti in Seattle
03-24-2006, 01:11 AM
Okay... we have

HealthierMe
Lena
Dance4Joy
Michele
Jayde
Lydia
Kathy
Bailey
No Spring Chick
Apple Blossom

That is 10 of us so far.

NavyWifeDee
03-24-2006, 07:36 AM
If you guys will let me, I'm definitely in. Is my running allowed too? I'm starting some of that at this point... Mostly walking still.

Dee

Misti in Seattle
03-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Welcome Dee! Of course everyone is welcome to join in!!! Glad to have you. And yes, running is great... will help us get across the country faster. :) I am about to start a bit of that too I think!!

I see you are from the Keys... I used to live in Fort Lauderdale :sunny:

dalai_lala
03-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Okay, I found ya! Thanks for the link...

I'm in too. I'll get a pedometer this weekend, as my elliptical doesn't calculate mileage, just steps. I'm nowhere near I-90, unfortunately, so no travel guide from me, but I'll be happy to add my miles!

Happy walking/running/stepping!

-lala

Misti in Seattle
03-24-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi lala and welcome! Glad you are in!! And you can use the step pedometer if you want; we are counting the average of 2000 steps in a mile!!! Wow we have 12 now from all areas of the country. Would be nice to have some International people here so they can tour the US :)

For everyone... for chat on this thread go to:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79678

Less of Lena
03-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Fantastic! Welcome, Lala! And everyone! Great team we've got!

Odaley
03-25-2006, 10:00 AM
I want to join! I'm a Yank that's living in Canada now, so I can visit vicariously through this walk across the US. I also need to convert from kilometers to miles. I still haven't got that whole kilometers thing down. This sounds like a lot of fun and a motivator to get me out there!

Misti in Seattle
03-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Yay Odaley... :welcome3: Glad you are joining us. Yah we are definitely having fun out of it!

To convert kilometers to miles try this site.

http://www.teaching-english-in-japan.net/conversion/kilometers

We are just getting out of Hopedale so join us over in the chat thread (see link in above message). See you there!

Misti

BlynC
03-25-2006, 10:25 AM
:wave: Ohhh....PICK ME! PICK ME! Thanks for the invite Lena! Would love to go for a long...long walk!....I live just 13 miles north of I-90 in South Dakota! Would love for all to stop in!

New Pedo and sneakers all ready....................Blyn:running:

Misti in Seattle
03-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Oh yay, oh yay, oh yay! Glad you are here, Blyn. And thanks for the invite for all to stop in when we go near your place. :) Head on over to the chat thread and join in!

Misti

Heather
03-26-2006, 10:56 AM
I would love to join this group! I live outside Chicago, not too far from I-90! I set up an exercise challenge for the 300+ group (we count minutes of exercise), but I often walk on the treadmill and this sounds great. It also might motivate me to get a pedometer!

I used to live in Massachusetts and took I-90 (the Pike) all the time, and when I lived in Michigan, drove back home on it! So I'm familiar with the "actual" road from Boston to Chicago!

I'll post my miles on the miles thread!

AnnieFannie
03-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Good Morning everyone.

I would love to join in on the walking. This would give me an excuse to get out there and start walking. Just the incentive I need walking coast to coast. I was living in Vermont, but moved back to Iowa. I was going to join earlier, but I don't live too close to I-90 so I thought I couldn't. Silly me. So I am ready to add some miles to the journey.

I didn't walk yesterday, but am planning on adding atleast 4 miles today if all possible. I'll post later in the correct section.

Annie:)

Less of Lena
03-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Welcome Annie and Wyllen!!! Welcome aboard!

Ciarra
03-26-2006, 04:13 PM
hi! I'm in East Texas so I'm walking in the south but would love to join ya'll. Hopefully I can add a few miles here and there.

iowasteph2
03-26-2006, 04:19 PM
I'd also love to join. I currently live in Iowa, but I use to live along I90 in Wisconsin. Fun, fun, fun!!

Michele L
03-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Steph--where in Iowa are you? I am in Vinton (between Waterloo and Cedar Rapids) and grew up in Marion. My folks and one sister still live there. I went to college in Dubuque for undergrad and then in Cedar Falls for grad studies.

Welcome!!!!

Michele :wave:

cagirlygirl
03-27-2006, 02:11 PM
This is such a cool idea!

Can I play, too? :hyper:

I don't wear a pedometer, but I walk or run 2 miles a day, 6 days a week. On Saturdays, I run 6.4 miles, so that should help.

cheers! :hat:
paula

Odaley
03-27-2006, 04:58 PM
This is such a cool idea!

Can I play, too? :hyper:

I don't wear a pedometer, but I walk or run 2 miles a day, 6 days a week. On Saturdays, I run 6.4 miles, so that should help.

cheers! :hat:
paula

Hi, CaGG--I don't wear a pedometer, either. I just log in what I go out for and walk and/or run.

ooelsworth
03-27-2006, 05:06 PM
I want to join too, I know I'm late, but I keep track of what I do. I'll post where I'm supposed to. Thanks for letting me join. I love maps and will looking at one for motivation.

HealthierMe
04-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Welcome ooelsworth, join us over on the Coast to Coast challenge board, if you haven't already!

walkernjh
04-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Do you accept late comers?

I have just started my plan and would love to get involved in a challenge. I have a pedometer and have started using it again.

While I wait for a response Iíll finish reading there thread.

Thanks for considering me.

Misti in Seattle
04-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi Walker... Welcome! Yes! This is for everyone! Please come right on over and join in!!

MTdebster921
04-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Hi all,
I too would like to join you. I live in Montana about 2 hrs. south of I-90.

Mundy
04-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Hope its not too late to get started! I need some motivation to get moving....I've been pretty much a couch potato all winter. Since I live right alongside I-90 I thought this challenge sounded like the one for me. So do I set a montly goal for myself, or how does the challenge work?:?:

Naked as We Came
04-03-2006, 01:43 AM
i hope its not too late to start. this thread sounds like a great way to get motivated to workout.
Currently, I am away at school in Madison, WI which is about 5 minutes from away from I-90.
During the summer months I live in a suburb of Chicago. I-90 is literally 6 blocks away.
Thanks!:)

Misti in Seattle
04-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi Debbie, Mundy and errr...ummm.. Naked :) Welcome! See you over in the challenge thread. It is at

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1201756#post1201756

Mundy, people just do whatever steps or miles they want... some set goals, some don't. Some use treadmills, etc.; some go out and walk. Check out the challenge thread (all of you) and get acquainted!!

gettingreadytowed
04-12-2006, 03:47 PM
I want to join too! I know I'm late but this is a great idea! I won't be able to update every day but I will keep track over time!

Misti in Seattle
04-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Hi Gettingreadytowed -- :welcome: Glad you are joining us and it is fine if you don't sign in every day; not everyone does! Come on over to the other thread and get to know everyone!!

And hey... there MUST be a story here behind your "name" -- hope you will share it with all of us! :)

Keya
04-14-2006, 10:59 PM
I would love to join everyone walking, what fun. I live in B.C Canada and would love to tour the USA with you. Going down to the other thread and post the walking I did tonight. I have just started walking so I don't walk far yet.

Misti in Seattle
04-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Wonderful! Welcome Keya... heading over to the other thread to get to know you!

sotypical
04-18-2006, 01:00 PM
I live in BC Canada too!! And I want to join as well... I walk everyday so I might as well :) I can't wait!

Misti in Seattle
04-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee welcome Sotypical! We are glad to have you... LOL we need every pair of feet we can get!!! :) See you over in the other thread!

MtaTJac
04-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Hi Everyone!

I just found this site, and Misti posted in another thread of mine and her signature intrigued me! (I traveled 1-90 last month from Boston all the way to Seattle!! )

If you'll have me, I'd love to join this group!! I'm new to exercise! (I'm starting in about 20 minutes :lol: )

Misti in Seattle
04-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Hey, that's great! LOL about your trip. You can probably fill us in on some of the sites along the way then! :) Come on over to the other thread and join right in! Glad I nabbed you. :dance:

kristine724
04-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi there! I would like to join the challenge! I found this site last week and I'm ready to start exercising. This will be a great motivator for me, so let the walking begin!!!!!

Misti in Seattle
04-24-2006, 10:30 PM
Wonderful, Kristine! Welcome! We are happy to have more pairs of feet helping us get across the country! :) Just march on over to the challenge thread and join in!!!

Nichole52476
04-25-2006, 10:31 AM
I walk alot so I will join , but I dont have a pedometer yet . I walk for about an hour everyday .

crk05
04-25-2006, 10:41 AM
Hi, I just stumbled across this challenge and what a great idea! I would love to join you all if it's not too late. I make an effort to walk every day (varying amounts) so this would be a wonderful way to motivate myself.

Misti in Seattle
04-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi Nichole and Christina! Welcome!!! Walk right on over to the challenge thread and join in!!! :dance:

dagirl
04-29-2006, 01:17 PM
Can I join your cross-country trek?

The weather has been beautiful lately (I live in the Seattle area) so I'm getting back into my regular evening walks... usually a couple of miles around the neighborhood. I also figured out a route for me to walk to work instead of drive so I'm going to do that a couple times a week too.

Misti in Seattle
04-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Well, hi neighbor!!! Of course you can join us! Come on over to the challenge thread and get acquainted!

I am in the Bothell/Mill Creek area so we aren't far apart!

Moo :)
05-01-2006, 05:54 AM
Misti - Count this UK Moo :) in, I've posted on the other thread as well.

dagirl
05-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Misti - Thanks for the welcome! It's always nice to meet a fellow Seattle-suburbanite. I'm just south of Seattle, in Kent. I hope you've been able to get out and enjoy the great weather we've been having.

Misti in Seattle
05-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi dagirl! Glad to meet a neighbor! See you over in the challenge thread!! :)

Margarita
05-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Oh! Oh! I-90 goes right by my house! I can look out of the window right now and see the traffic on the I-90 overpass. I never paid attention to this thread until now, but now that I know what's going on, I'd love to join the rest of you. Where are you right now on the map?

Misti in Seattle
05-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi Margarita! Welcome!! Wow we will definitely be coming your way if you can see the overpass! Come on over to the challenge thread and join in!

At last check we were close to Sioux Falls SD but have come a ways since then; we will get an update soon.

ssgtswife33
05-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Is it to late to join in??

AnnieFannie
05-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Heck, no. It's not too late to come join us. Just come over to the challenge thread and post your miles. The more feet the merrier. We'll get to Seattle even faster now. :running:

Cute_n_curvey
05-06-2006, 11:05 AM
I'd like to join you all as well! This is something I need to really kick my walking routine into high gear! I'm excited!

Misti in Seattle
05-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Oh yay! Glad to have both of you! Just walk right on over to the challenge thread and join in! We just made the halfway point this morning but it is still a long ways "home" to Seattle LOL.

djstorey
05-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Ok, I walk most days of the week so I might as well join in here! I am in Idaho Falls, ID. Unfortunately we have rather long winters here so I only get to walk outside from about April - Oct, but I will add my miles in until I have to head back indoors to the aerobics tapes!

Misti in Seattle
05-14-2006, 03:14 PM
That's great, DJ!! We are glad to have you!!! The more the merrier :)

gggbdomino
05-15-2006, 09:07 PM
hi I would like to join your challange. I'm getting a pedomiutre of friday but I'll long the miles from my tread mill till then this is going to be fun

Misti in Seattle
05-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Hi Domino!!! Yay, glad to have you!!! So glad you are joining us!!

la3y_un1c0rn_37
05-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Is it to late to get in on this? I would like to join....I got a tread mill and can walk every day.

Misti in Seattle
05-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Hey not too late at all... we'd love to have you! We still have a lot of miles to go LOL. Come right on over to the thread and get acquainted!

con10t
05-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi, may I join? I'm a newbie and I'm just starting to use the Walk-Away the Pounds videos, but that would be five more miles a week and more as I get used to moving again . . . I'll also get a pedometer and add the normal walking too . . . thanks for considering it . . .

Misti in Seattle
05-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Of course, Con... anyone can join!!! We'd love to have you walking with us. Come on over and get acquainted with the chick marchers!!

expressyourself
05-21-2006, 10:09 AM
this is a great idea... is it too late for me to join? If not, count me in :)!!

Jayde
05-21-2006, 11:42 AM
this is a great idea... is it too late for me to join? If not, count me in :)!!

Hi Express yourself. It is never to late as long as there is one more step to take. See you in the forum!

GenreGirl
05-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Please add me to the roster! I'm new here, but I love to walk & would enjoy adding my miles to everyone's efforts. In fact, I walked a mile & a half today. :carrot:

Jayde
05-23-2006, 02:35 AM
Please add me to the roster! I'm new here, but I love to walk & would enjoy adding my miles to everyone's efforts. In fact, I walked a mile & a half today. :carrot:

We'd love to have you! See you over in the forum.

Jordan1975
05-23-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm in!! This will be great motivation to actually get up and do my 4 miles every morning. :)

Jayde
05-23-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm in!! This will be great motivation to actually get up and do my 4 miles every morning. :)

Welcome, Jordan. This challenge has kept me motivated! See you on the reporting thread.

707Goddess
06-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Is there a new challenge starting i'd love to get in on it i think it would help motivate me if i know im not going alone please let me know Thanks

AnnieFannie
06-13-2006, 02:20 PM
I believe we are going to be doing another one. Not sure what route we are taking but you are more then welcome to help us finish our journey to Seattle.

707Goddess
06-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Umm i was talking about the 30 lbs by sept 30th?? is it too late or i just can't join?

Misti in Seattle
06-13-2006, 07:58 PM
I think you must be thinking of a different thread and challenge.. you are welcome to join us in this one but it is a walking challenge.... we are almost to Seattle and are now planning to head down the coast to San Diego and back around the US the long way. :) At least that is my understanding...

Lyndsey86
06-20-2006, 01:34 PM
Hey girls, sounds great, I'm in. I'll get a pedometer friday, and start on monday :).

BTW I'm Lyndsey in Fla

Misti in Seattle
06-21-2006, 07:56 PM
That's great Lyndsey! We made it to Seattle but are now headed on down the West Coast to San Diego! Glad you are joining in!

I used to live in Florida too... Fort Lauderdale!

spcdcider
06-25-2006, 10:19 AM
It has been awhile since I walked, long story but yesterday I did 4 miles. Kathy

Misti in Seattle
06-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Kathy... welcome back. That's great. However, note that this is the sign-up thread; for your score to count you need to please post it in the actual challenge thread. :)

pixiefalls
06-26-2006, 03:31 AM
Hi gals! I'm ready to finally join a challenge:). So we count all the steps we walk in a day (including exercise)? Just checking before I start!

Misti in Seattle
06-26-2006, 04:37 AM
Great, pixiefalls... welcome! Some of us do it both ways. I wear a pedometer and count all my steps; some just count their exercise. I figure I walk 'em I count 'em. :) So whichever you want to do is fine.