Old 03-20-2006, 11:26 AM   #1  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Default Opinions needed on good treadmills, and elliptical machines...

I asked this on the exercise board, but am here more so I will ask you . I need some ideas on price and brands for elliptical and treadmills. My tax refund is coming soon, and I would like to purchase something I can do at home when I can't get to a gym. Thanks Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #2  

We have the Bowflex Series 3 treadmill and I'm very happy with it. We've had no trouble with it at all (we've had it since about October). We bought ours for about $900 after tax at Sports Authority. I'd like to have an elliptical, but with a weight bench, a Spinning bike, and a treadmill in the front room, I don't know where we'd put it!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:40 AM   #3  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I don't own either machine since I use them at the gym -- so I don't have any info on prices. I do know I like Precor treadmills and ellipticals the best followed by Life Fitness ellipticals.

Gotta love it when you get a refund!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would probably recommend a treadmill or an exercise bike over an elliptical just because a good elliptical can cost quite a bit. From what I've read, you need to spend at least $1k for an elliptical. I would like to own an elliptical one day and my plan is to buy a used gym one for around $2k.

Something like this: http://www.usafitnessdirect.com/productPage.asp?id=3

I'd probably recommend spend some money and sign up for consumer reports online and read what they have to say about different fitness equipment.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/health-fitness.htm
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:05 PM   #5  
twinsplusone

S/C/G: 288/257/200

Talking Eliptical are WONDERFUL!!!!

Attachment 22474
Horizon CSE 4.5 Elliptical
This is the one I have. It is pricey. If you go to Dicks sporting good where I got it it is usually on sale. I LOVE IT!!! At any rate, make sure you try it against other models. Trust me, I tried like 15 machines before getting this one. This is an area where price does matter. Look for features such as reverse train so you can work the back of your legs, and check the weight limit. Mine has a built in console fan which is great. I hope this helped you. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions!! Good Luck!

Last edited by twinsplusone; 04-05-2006 at 07:34 PM.
twinsplusone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #6  
No description available.

I have a Precor. It is awesome. It cost a chunk of change, but in a way that motivates me to use it when otherwise I might not...
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:57 PM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I don't have any particular recommendation re: brand or price but when I bought my exercise bike I went to a store that sold gym quality exercise machines. Previously I had bought workout machines from places like Sears and they weren't worth 2 cents. It might be different now, I haven't been out to look for exercise equipment but I recommend going to a speciality store that sells gym quality machines and try out a whole bunch to find out which is most comfortable.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #8  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I have one made by Fitness Quest ~ Eclipse 1100 HR/A ~ I went to Sports Authority and tried out several different ones and liked this one best. This one doesn't stick out so far in the back like some I have seen. I waited for a sale, then my husband found it on the internet for less than the sale price at the store. It was about $400. I had been on the ones at the YMCA, and this one had the same feel to me and took up less space. I love it.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #9  
embrace change

S/C/G: 268/257/120

Default get the one that is fun

i have them all, theradine treadmill, norditrack ellipitcal and 2 bikes, one with arms , one with recument chair seating.

treadmills are good if you use them, but in the end you max out if your not an althlete running. they are not good if your under 5'4 and or over 5'11 because they are designed for average height and weight people, you might find trouble with nerve pain, back pain or sprains. i find them good for warm ups and thats about it, they get boring after while for me.

my elliptical on the other hand isnt so boring cus your using your legs and arms and i find i lose track of time and even find i have not watched the clock and gone over my time,hence if its enjoyable and fun to do thats the one to go get. it is smoothe it doesnt take speed to make it a good workout like the treadmill, the treadmills max out if your not fit enough to boogie on them to get sweaty.

hope this helps
lea
leandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #10  
Downsizing Dee!

I have a treadmill and an elliptical. The treadmill is a Weslo brand purchased from Walmart. I cost something like $500 about 4 years ago. It's built very sturdy but doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. There are many others out there that may be a bit more sturider, quieter and have more functions but I've found that it does me just fine.

The elliptical was purchased at Canadian Tire in January. I was fortunate enough to get it at half price so I paid $450 for it (well actually they only had the next highest model in stock so they gave it to me for the price of the lower model - I got the $1100 for $450 in total - gotta love a bargain). For the life of me I can't remember the brand.

I'm with Lea. I do enjoy the elliptical quite a bit more. The treadmill can become very boring. Shop around and find one that you like, find comfortable and affordable. Happy shopping.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #11  

I have a Proform Treadmill that I bought directly from them. With getting it to my door, extended warranty and all I probably paid about $900. Upfront probably about $200 then I made monthly payments. It has programs, IFIT technology,heart rate monitor etc. My mom bought her elliptical the exact same way. I don't remember what she paid. Hers has the bells and whistles too. Both of us tend to be picky and we love our equipment.
72butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote