Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #1  
Losing for Life!

Default Motivation-How to.

Motivation-How To!

This is the time of year when people are either becoming very motivated to get healthy or are losing their motivation. Three months into the new year and some of us who started in January with gusto and excitement are finding that it is getting a little harder to find the motivation to do what needs to be done.

Sometimes when a person says they have no motivation it is not that they are not motivated they just don’t know where to start or how to begin. It can be hard to design a plan for success when you are not sure of yourself or where you are going so to begin.

The best way to become motivated when you don’t seem to have any motivation is to be successful. Sounds hard? Not at all if you take small steps and make small changes. Not everything needs to happen instantly. Change one small thing and let it become a habit before you go on to the next small thing.

Set yourself up for success and this will soon become a habit that feeds your motivation.

Now all you need to do is make a plan for success, be specific about what you want and why you want it. The way I do that is by writing it down in detail.

I want to be healthy and fit and be able to walk comfortably. I want to play with my kids. I want to feel comfortable around others, I want to have more energy. I want to feel more confident. (this is just and example)

What are you willing to do to achieve it?

I will decrease my portions at mealtimes and exercise 3 times a day for 15 minutes at a time 3 days a week. I will cut out all artificial sweeteners, refined sugar, white flour. I will drink 8 glasses of water each day. I will eat more fruits and vegetables. I will take the stairs, park farther away, go for a walk at lunch. (this is just and example)

Make a motivation wall, put up affirmations and your picture one from when you were slimmer and one of you now. Find a Motto like Live Strong, No Excuses! Use Positive self talk every day. You can convince yourself that you are going to succeed with these techniques.

When you are exercising keep telling yourself I love exercise it makes me feel great and strong. When you are choosing the foods you are going to eat think about why you enjoy that juicy red sweet crunchy apple get as excited about the whole and healthy foods as you do about your favorite hamburger and fries.

Are you doing activities that you enjoy? If not then find something you like to do. Anything as long as you are moving.

Are you finding your exercise routine too hard? Then slow it down a bit, you do not have to be working at such a high intensity that it is difficult for you.

Are you bored with the foods you are eating? Check out the recipe boards and talk to friends and others on the boards to find out what they do to keep from getting tired of the food they are eating.

Set realistic goals, 1 pound a week is truly a great goal. Join a challenge group or start one yourself. This provides incentive to be accountable for what you are doing.

Get involved in community activities, go out and meet people, get out of the house and do something.

Start slowly and get comfortable with the changes you are making before you add new ones. Give yourself a chance to make each change a habit.

If it is hard to find time for your fitness activity then do 5 minutes of activity whenever you can through the day.

With each step that you succeed at you will become more successful. Success will become a habit, so make it one of yours!
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:07 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Thanks for the pep talk, Sheri~C! I'm at a point where I can use one. You've done great so far! Good for you!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #3  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Excellent essay, Sheri! Thanks for sharing!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:57 PM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

VERY well said, Sheri! Thanks for the effort you took to put this encouraging message together!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #5  
Aleecia

Thanks for sharing.
You took the words right out my mouth. A lot of what you just said, I do on a daily basis and its been working. It makes it very reassuring when you actually see it on paper.
Thanks Again!

Leec
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:06 AM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri~C
Are you bored with the foods you are eating? Check out the recipe boards and talk to friends and others on the boards to find out what they do to keep from getting tired of the food they are eating.
This applies to me. I tend to eat so much of one particular food that I end up burning myself out on it.

Canned salmon and tuna, as an example. I can't even look at it anymore. Whole wheat pitas. Sick of 'em. And even some veggies.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:18 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri~C

Excellent advice, Sheri, as is your whole post! I have been doing just this and found a link to a wonderful recipe site. I have two friends in Florida and we have also been sharing crockpot recipes, some of which I have also posted at 3FC. So in the last two weeks... with the help and inspiration of 3FC.. I have gone from eating the same ole boring same ole... to having batches of wonderful yummy meals in freezer bags which I can just come home and pop into the microwave. And lots more ideas I plan to try soon! Now I look forward to having delicious dinners (and also make big crockpots of veggies for lunches at work). Makes a huge difference and I do NOT miss the junkie stuff I quickly grabbed before! And it's really not that hard... the crockpot recipes are easy!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

wow, thanks for the pep talk. i needed that. i may have to print that out to keep with me. hang it up by my bed, on the fridge, on my desk at work.

thanks for sharing such inspiration!!
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote