Exercise! - Swimming newbie

View Full Version : Swimming newbie

sierra_ttw
03-19-2006, 05:28 PM
i recently injured my ankle while running, and it's on the mend, but it's taking it's sweet time, which means no more running, stairmaster... even cycling hurts. I'm going a little crazy not getting out to exercise, so I've decided to start swimming, as it's easy on my ankle - trouble is, i haven't swam in about 10 years (I don't count splashing around in the waves as swimming!). Does anyone here swim regularly? And oculd anyone give me tips on a good regimen to get into swimming on a regular basis? I have a great pool nearby, with 25 and 50 metre lap ppols, and owuld like to start wimming at least 4 times a week. Any tips and suggestions would be great. Thanks!

klynds
03-20-2006, 01:00 AM
I think it's great that even though you're injured you're still trying to stay on track. I would suggest starting slowly... even swimming can be difficult with an injured ankle. There are some great websites that offer some good workouts for the pool. As far as working out in the pool... if you're just doing laps, remember to alternate regular swimming with some sprinting. It might be a good idea to check out some Aqua-cize classes which are very low impact, but an awesome workout (I'd recommend the deep water classes for the least impact on your ankle). Good luck with the swimming!!!

kykaree
03-20-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm a regular swimmer. I have different types of swimming days depending on my mood, and what I'm doing with other exercise days, sometimes I swim to relax rather than exercise.

I swum with a badly sprained ankle last year, and found it really helpful, though it did hurt it a bit, it certainly kept my fitness up until I was ready to exercise properly again.