Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #1  
ugggg.....

Default The Total Gym

Hubby and I saw the advertisement for the Total Gym with Chuck Norris and Chritie Brinkley as the spokespeople. Anyone try it or have opinions one way or another? Hubby is not the kind that will go to a gym and he is interested in this machine. I go to a Curves type gym but there are weeks that the hours they are open don't fit into my schedule so it would be nice to have a piece at home. Have been saving for an elliptical but I don't think hubby would use it either. He's 46 and the weight isn't coming off as easy as it used to and he is getting concerned with his growing belly. He used to just give up snacking and eat once a day and drop any extra weight and that isn't working anymore.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:10 PM   #2  
it's always something

Consumer Reports did an article on infomercial gyms a few years ago, and they really liked the Total Gym, saying it lived up to their claims. We've had a few people here and there that have said they owned one and enjoyed it. I own the Total Gym 2000, lol, and I used to use it all the time. Maybe I should pull it out of the closet and give it another whirl Sister Jennifer bought one (I think it was the Total Gym Platinum sold by QVC) but it didn't interest her, and she preferred other types of exercise. She loved Kathy Smith's Project YOU, and when she grew out of it, she joined a gym. Her Total Gym has been in the basement ever since.

If you know anyone that has one, it would be great if you could try it out first. But according to Consumer Reports, the machine lives up to the claims - if you enjoy it enough to use it.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #3  
ugggg.....

Thanks Suzanne!
I read some of the reviews online on various websites and most were very favorable. My one concern is that hubby is 6'2' and one of the reviews mentioned it is not for taller people. We want something that is easy to use and that we both will enjoy. Neither of us want to have body builder competition bodies but we both want to get tone and do some strength training. I just turned 40 and he's 46 and both are feeling aches and pains. We figure if we tone up it might lessen some.
Closed Thread