Old 03-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #1  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Default The Firm, Tae Bo, Or Turbo Jam?

I want to get one of these systems, but I don't know which one is best! Tae Bo and Turbo Jam look similar, and The Firm looks like it really gives a great workout too...any input? I don't want to spend $100's of dollars, my hubby would throw a FIT!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:04 PM   #2  
one leg press at a time

Well, I am partil to The Firm and WHN workouts. I tried Tae bo and hate it. I do not like Billy as an instructor and the constant talking and counting.
I have not tried TJ, but saw the commercial and know off the bat I would hate it (though I do want the abs for the standing ab work only.)
I have used Firm workouts off & on since they put out the first 3 and have always had great results and FAST results. I have moved to WHFN (Fitprime & Kickbutt) workouts which have more of a core training, weight training feel vs/ cardio endurance. those are workouts that the more effort you put in, the more you get out of them.
Firmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:09 PM   #3  

I felt that way too about spending a lot of money. As a matter of fact, I didn't tell my husband I ordered my Turbo Jam until it came. It turned out to be a really good purchase. I've been doing it for a month now and have had great results.

I have never done Tae Bo or The Firm so I can't really compare. From what I understand, Turbo Jam is dancier than Tae Bo though. I don't have a lot of rhythm, but it's a lot of fun.

Good luck on whichever you choose!
ConnorsMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:16 PM   #4  

Thumbs up Like the Firm

I like the Firm tapes because I do see results, it's just hard to maintain for me. I can psyche myself out when I know this tape is going to be 45 minutes ..LOL! So if you can do the tapes according to the schedule and do them the whole length of tape the pounds drop off!
fitdiva24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:50 PM   #5  

I like Tao Bo. I think Billy Banks is very motivating. I wanted to get Turbo Jam but heard some bad things about their customer service.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #6  

I'm also partial to The Firm. I've only had it for about a month now...but I have been loving every minute of it! Some of the aerobic and step moves are still a little difficult for me....(I have two left feet)...but every time I do a tape....I grasp a little more of it. I am just starting my fourth week (had to take a week off for a nasty stomach flu bug)...but I re-checked my measurements and I've already lost a half inch off my upper arms..yahoooo!!! I feel so energized and my muscles feel like they are getting stronger..big time! I messed up on my WW big time this last weekend...but I didn't gain anything back...I stayed the same!!! I'm convinced that the increase in muscle mass is helping me to burn fat more efficiently. I have the transfirmer system..(the newest one)....and I love it..but I'm already looking into older tapes so I can switch it up a little eventually. I've heard lots of great things about many of the older tapes too.

I did Tae Bo for a week and I didn't care for it at all. I don't know what it was...Billy just isn't my style I guess. My sister loves TB though.

I haven't tried turbo jam...but I must admit it looks fun....other than that..I guess I can't comment.

Good luck with whatever system you choose. Let us know how it's going.

Hugs
roundRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've used Firm off and on since High school (14 years) and the times when I kept to it, I lost. In recent years, I prefer the gym and video workouts are only supplementary. I tried Tae Bo and thought it was good but I think the Firm offers a good all around workout and uses your muscles to get you to a cardio workout.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/196/140

I have tried all 3 workouts, and I love both the Firm and Turbo Jam.

Right now, I am using Turbo Jam, and I am loving it!!! It is a fun, upbeat and sort of dancy workout. You really sweat, even the 20 min workout, which is great when you are crunched for time.
I also have the firm, and I can tell you that it takes a little while to get the hang of all of the moves (I have 2 left feet), but WOW, can you feel how much you have done the next day!!!

I have been switching back and forth between the 2 every other month, and can honestly say, you wouldn't go wrong buying either one. Billy gets really annoying after just a few workouts, and I would not recommend his workouts personally. He just wasn't motivating enough for me.

Good luck to you, and I hope you'll have fun with whatever you buy
gracies523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:20 AM   #9  
Chrissy

S/C/G: 166/152/140

Height: 5'9"

I have only done Tae Bo so I can't really compare. I almost purchased some of the The Firm tapes but I don't have a step and alot of their workouts use the step and I think some other equipment too. I don't room for alot of stuff in my apartment....I still havn't figured what to do with my stability ball it's just sitting in the middle of my bedroom lol.

I am thinking of getting these turbo jam dvd's for something different. I like tae bo....but it can be intense for me since I have just started and no video is fun for me if I feel like I can't keep up. However I am going to keep with it because I know my ability will improve.
kindred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:38 PM   #10  
April

S/C/G: 155/120

everyone seems to agree that they like both the turbo jam and the firm videos i havent seen them in any stores do stores carry them or are they only an online thing?
chickonarampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:52 PM   #11  

I don't know about The Firm, but you can't buy Turbo Jam at a store. You can only get it at BeachBody.com. Their shipping prices are a little high, but the workout is worth purchasing. People say that Beach Body has bad customer service, but I haven't had any problems with them so far. I've done all my ordering on line though, so I haven't had to talk to a representative.

Good Luck!
ConnorsMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Firm can be bought at stores and online at a variety of places. I think they had an infomercial kit a couple years ago? It included step and a few videos? I think QVC sold it and a few other places. You might just want to search for "The Firm" on amazon.com and see what shows up.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:44 PM   #13  
here I go again...

I have done all three (heck, I own all three) and would rank them as follows:

#1: Turbojam- so much fun, goes quickly, good music
#2: TaeBo- fun, but a little 80s style (billy's outfits crack me up), hokey music
#3: Firm- the tall box made my knee hurt, I did see results, but had a longer recovery time between workouts.

Hope this helps!
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #14  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I love both Turbo Jam and Taebo (more specifically, Billy's Bootcamp w/resistance bands). I actually alternate between the two during the week.

I've never tried the Firm but always wanted to.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 168/168/140

I'm using Billy's Bootcamp at the moment and I like it. I would like to know if anyone has tried Kathy Smith's Project You. Is it an effective workout. I'm trying to decide between her's and the Turbo Jam.
neicy63 is offline   Reply With Quote