Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc - Yums and Yucks - Let's talk food

View Full Version : Yums and Yucks - Let's talk food

honey_texas
03-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Everyone has some favorites and some they'd never eat again. Most people want to know about the food before they order for the first time.

I'll start..

The eggs are bad, bad, bad. I returned 12 orders of the eggs.

The Fettuccini Alfredo, Pizza, and Chicken Pasta Parmesan are all awesome

sillydreamer71
03-18-2006, 09:58 PM
I just started NS a few days ago, but here's my opinion so far...

The veggie sloppy joes and the eggs are horrible, the pizza, pepper steak and rice and cream of broccoli soup are yummy! :)

MELODY525
03-19-2006, 08:43 AM
I love the eggs!!! :rofl: I haven't had anything yet I couldn't eat again. :love:
My menu is from QVC and the International Package.

honey_texas
03-19-2006, 02:01 PM
You know...I didn't find the eggs unedible. I just didn't like them. I figured I'd be more likely to follow the diet if I only picked foods I actually enjoy eating. So the eggs made it into the return box. I also returned the Bacon and Cheddar mashers which were okay, but I didn't really enjoy them. Most of the stuff I returned was stuff I don't ever like. For instance, I won't eat ham and bean soup when my grandmother makes it; I figured Nutrisystem's version didn't have a chance.

I'm only ordering food I really like - chicken and noodles is another fav.

DebDixon
03-19-2006, 02:21 PM
My favorites: For breakfast is any of the granola bars (especially chocolate); for lunch I love the Black Beans & Rice, Chicken & Pasta in Cacciatore, Bean & Ham Soup and the Fudge Graham Bars. For dinner the pizza, burger :burger: ,
chicken parmesan, beef w/tender vegetable & pasta fagilo. Desserts are the Carmel Crunch Popcorn, the chocolates and the chocolate peanut butter bar.

Most of the food is really pretty good - don't like the eggs, muffins or the mashers. :carrot:

Deb

sillydreamer71
03-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Since I just started NS, this is a great thread!! For today, the frosted O's cereal and pot roast with carrots and potatoes get a big thumbs UP!

RubensMuse
03-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Ma and The Hub are on it and we try a bite of each others meals for taste check. These things we both agree are definate:

CANNOT do's: Tuna salad, Chicken Salad, Spicy Noodles, Eggs

Best ones: Chili, Raviollis, Vege Beef soup, Chicken Noodle, Bars, Snacks.

Everything else we have tried and feel are pretty good and comparable to Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers.

I have found a few ways around some of the issues that annoy me, like the muffins are dry, so I make Bread Pudding out of them. I think I will post some recipes for the Newbies to try.

wickedgrl_76
03-20-2006, 10:07 AM
It's weird because I didn't mind the eggs last month but my newest shipment came while I had a stomach virus. I ate them on one of the bad days & have left a horrible taste in my mouth. I just bring myself to eat them anymore. Here are my fave
Breakfast: Nutricoconut cereal & the cinnamon squares, the apple cinammon & chocolate chip granola bars & I do like the muffins alot. I know they can be a little dry but here's a trick. Cut them in half & spray a little "I can't believe it's not butter light" or some fat free margerine & put into the toaster over. They come out yummy.

Lunch: Chicken caccitore, past w/beef, black beans & rice & the veggitarian pasta salad

Dinner: Cheese & Spinach ravioli, chicken past parmessan, pasta fagioli, lasagne, cheeseburgers, tacos well I could go on & on. I love most of their dinners.
The only thing I found that I really really don't like was the saisbury steak & the orange beef. I really like their food for the most part.

A Bee
03-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Having just started the diet, I only have 5 days to go on. The grossest thing I have ever put in my mouth was the potato/cheddar/bacon mashers. This was just the other side of the kind of glue/paste we snuck a taste of as kids. If that was all I had to eat, I'd be thin in no time.
The Bananna Spice muffin was pretty awful also. It tasted like rancid lemon sawdust. (sorry for being so descriptive). My weight problem stems from a selective carbohydrate addiction -I will eat anything good with a carb in it. Keep food, just give me cheesecake.
The cereals and oatmeal were very tasty. I usually have eggs or yougurts and protein for breakfast, so eating these is a change. But they are tasty. I also didn't mind the eggs (only tried one though).
The few entrees that I have eaten are kinda tasty and edible, though too much sauce for my taste. I have never liked gravy or sauce on much of anything. I'd rather crumble chips on my green beans.
The Alfredo noodles were 'bleh', noodles stayed firm, sauce stayed watery. Fettucine Alfredo is my favorite, nest to cheesecake, so I was a little disappointed. But all in all, beats the heck out of figuring it out yourself and making it.
so far, I'd give it a thumbs up
A Bee

readyfreddy
03-29-2006, 10:01 PM
just ate the cheese ravioli for dinner-
rating- 7 (out of 10)

totally satisfied. full. and i would eat it again!

the sauce in my opinion could have been a bit better... but anything that i dont have to think about is AMAZING!

its going to go on my list of things to get next month!

ryzmom
03-30-2006, 08:25 AM
It's been 3 weeks and so far the only thing I had a real problem with was the Ham & Bean soup. Yikes!

The BBQ Beef & Rice thing was really good, and all the Italian stuff seemed pretty good too. All the bars are great but the milkshakes are so-so. I love the soy snacks......YUM!!! I could eat the raspberry chocolate bar every day, followed by the white cheddar soy snacks.

Now I'm hungry.

MELODY525
03-30-2006, 06:29 PM
I LOVE THE PIZZA!!! It might be small but it's filling. I save a "dairy/protein" from during the day and add 1/2 c of Morningstar's Grillers Recipe Crumbles on top!!! OMG!!! It is to die for. I just love those crumbles. Now I'm going to add them to the eggs next!

RubensMuse
03-30-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm with Freddy on the ravioli! Super yum and I like ordered a dozen on my next shipment!!!! I also really like the Fudge Graham bar!

readyfreddy
03-30-2006, 11:56 PM
banana spice muffins- bleck.

i ordered 3 even though i read someones post that said they are bad. i figured how bad can MUFFINS be. not inedible, but not pleasant either. ill eat the other two (maybe soaked in milk??) but I won't order more.

chalky wierd texture and bbaaaddd flavor. no banana to speak of and heavily, weirdly overspiced.

its okay- its diet food... i knew it wouldnt' all be great and im not disappointed. GOOD news is that i wont be tempted to "cheat" and eat 3 p-acks of muffins at once because they are sooo good. phew.

DebDixon
03-31-2006, 09:38 AM
Just had the spinach and cheese ravioli - Yum Yum. Going to up my order on that for next month:hun:

Deb

readyfreddy
03-31-2006, 05:31 PM
two HUGE successes today....

fudge grahm lunch bar- heaven! mmm mmm mmm! will order like 8 of these next time. filling, yummy. would be PERFECT with 4 oz of milk on the side. haha yum.

zesty cajun chick- YUM! best prefab diet food i have EVER had. had REAl chicken chuncks... not just the prefab stuff you find in LC and WW meals. added a dash of chili flakes for heat and a shake or two of garlic salt (garlic powder would work too). Im ordering like 8 of these next time. YUM.

starfire
04-03-2006, 04:50 AM
Overall, I'm not too impressed with the food.
NO WAY:
the eggs, the muffins (itried the blueberry ones and thet were soooo gross), the tuna salad and chicken salad, the pot roast and veggies are gross, they leave a weird metalic taste in my mouth, the biscotti are so gross

OK:
the granola bars, the the choco gram bars, the caramel bars, the PB and choc bars, the spicy oriental noodles, chicken caccitore, the soy crisps aren't too bad, the zest snack mix

The food looks so good on the box, but when you open them, it's just sloppy mush. I guess thats how you loose the weight. Is looks/tastes gross, so you don't eat.

readyfreddy
04-03-2006, 11:23 AM
had the blueberry muffin for bfast this am. i was scared after the banana spice one the other day- but i cut it in half put a couple sprays of icbitnb and microed it for 20 secs. it was tolerable. i may order like 1 next time, just for some variety. still no way on the banana spice muffins, for me.

readyfreddy
04-03-2006, 10:26 PM
had the southwest chicken for dinner- very good! big piece of chicken with rice and beans. chicken was prefab but it wasnt bad- was a lot thicker than the ww chicken. am going to order a few of these next time.

honey mustard pretzels for dessert- yum... taste just like the real thing. id eat them any time!

readyfreddy
04-04-2006, 11:19 AM
had the coconut os (or whatever) for breakfast. i agree with the earlier report- i didn't taste the coconut at all! but it was good anyways and a bit sweet, which i liked. it tasted like barley to me (a flavor i really like) and is something i'd order again.

ryzmom
04-04-2006, 05:38 PM
:D :D I agree.....BIG thumbs up on the fudge graham bar....YUM!!!!!

the chocolate pudding is good. The white cheddar soy chips are HEAVENLY!
They really satisfy the PMS chip cravings, KWIM???

The pancakes are good, but of course I wish I could drown them in butter & syrup. ICBINB & SF syrup is just as good.

The Italian entrees are pretty good. Not like Olive Garden, or Mama Leoni's, but they're good.

The Beef Stroganoff is like Alpo.

readyfreddy
04-05-2006, 11:17 AM
cinnamon crunch cereal was fine this am- will order 1-2 for variety next time... nothing bad about it at all.

readyfreddy
04-07-2006, 08:30 PM
bran cereal a-okay. seems like normal bran. good with a few rasberries.

_bees
04-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm no longer on this diet, but I used to be!
I loooove the bean and ham soup. I could eat that every day.

I thought the dehydrated meats were scary.. the burgers and chicken patties..yuuuck. As well as the muffins. who would have thought they could make muffins bad?

DebDixon
04-08-2006, 10:02 AM
I love cookies so was pleased when I tried the Double Chocolate Almond Cookie - heated in the microwave for about 10 seconds and it was delicious!! YUM YUM:cookie:

Deb

champagn
04-10-2006, 10:18 PM
So far, there is only one item that makes me sick to my stomach. That is the lunchtime Pasta Parmesan. Ughhh....I was so sick after I ate it.

For the most part....everything else is yummy!!

AmericanWomansong
04-12-2006, 11:38 AM
I am weird...I LUV the veggie burger sloppy joe. I just add ketchup to it. :D

readyfreddy
04-13-2006, 12:03 PM
had the granola this am for breakfast- really tasty! mm mm mmmm!

starfire
04-14-2006, 02:22 AM
I sent it all back. I really did not like it. Oh, well. On to the next one!

AmericanWomansong
04-14-2006, 07:46 PM
I really like the lasagna (sp?) and the choc drink mix. I add a banana, splenda, half banana and ice to it with water..put it in the blender and pow! Pretty darn good.

The black bean mix I can do without. The soups are not that good either for the most part. Will try adding spices. The pot roast is just ok.

Cereals are pretty good.

I need to try pudding.

bumpey
04-16-2006, 11:29 AM
My favorites are the tacos, chili, lazagna. I like to add the chili or tacos to my salad and add a little cheese, a spoonful of guac, and salsa, yummy, taco salad. I seem to have eaten most of my breakfasts a nd lunches but for some reason i still have alot of dinners, I guess I have been eating out still too much.

gb2gm
04-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Like the pot roast (why do they ship it to you in the "free week" if you can't order it?????), pizza and have gotten to like the sliced ham for lunch, the CC granola bars are good. The potaoe mashers were just plain gross, there was absolutely no way I could eat those again. YUCK!!!! :(

RubensMuse
04-18-2006, 11:04 AM
My dogs would not eat the mashers :( and my pugs have never threw up their nose at food.

I really like the chili based stuff and the pizzas. The brocolli soup is pretty dang good if you add more brocolli and some roasted garlic. mmmmmm

readyfreddy
04-19-2006, 11:10 AM
carmel corn dessert is good!

readyfreddy
04-23-2006, 11:08 PM
ham and bean soup

BARF

i dont love ham and bean soup to begin with, but the ham looked reconsituted like ALPO and it had a really overpowering smoke flavor.

bleck.

readyfreddy
04-28-2006, 11:23 AM
orange flavored drink- YUCK. tastes like chaulky (??spell) oranges.

Mini-Me
05-01-2006, 04:26 PM
My favs: Tuna, Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, Almond Chocochip cookie, spicy noodles, pizza, cranberry granola bars, veggie sloppy joe, lasagna, cereals, veggie soup
(As you can see, I like a LOT of the foods a LOT)

Don't like: the beef dishes(and I actually like beef), muffins, bean soup

I cook most of my foods in the oven - it all tastes better than cooked in the microwave.