Old 03-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #1  
I'm with the band

S/C/G: 170/165/120

Default Water

Has anyone ever heard of water spoiling your stomach? For some reason, whenever I drink the recommended amount of water, I always end up being so naseaus. Sometimes I actually vomit. It happens with tap and bottled water. My grandmother told me that water can spoil in your stomach causing to be sick, but that sounds funny.... idk... Has anyone else had this problem?
Rehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #2  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Wow, that's a totally new one to me. At frst I thought it might be something in your tap water, but you say it's bottled water too...

Have you been able to figure out any thing else? Does it happen with ice cold water? Room temp water? Fizzy (carbonated) water? Does it happen if you drink a full bottle at a time? Does it happen if you sip slowly over time? When you have bottled water is it spring water? Flavored water? Distilled water? Enhanced water?

Just some questions that could help pinpoint what the issue might be. Wish I had an answer.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 298/230/150

I actually love water and drink it almost all day long. The only time water makes me sick is when I drink a big glass on an empty stomach. I know warm water can make you feel sick. Hopefully you can fiqure out why it makes you sick.
kittiebabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:24 PM   #4  
I'm with the band

Lena: I haven't yet figured out anything yet, I wish that I could though. Yeah, It happens everytime I drink water, no matter what type. Carbonated water doesn't make me as sick though. When I consume larger amounts, my sickness increases. I usually buy a bottle of water and can only take a few sips. If I try to drink the recommended daily amount, I feel horrible that day. The strange thing is, no other beverage does this to me. I don't know what it is. I love water too, I love the cold refreshing feeling you get. But after I get through only part of the bottle, I am ready to throw it away.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #5  
with my mind on my monkey

Maybe it's psychosomatic? The power of suggestion (your grandmother saying water can 'spoil in your stomach') can be very strong. Even a memory of consuming water before or while getting sick could have caused your brain to associate the two things.
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:21 AM   #6  
I'm with the band

Maybe....

I have been known to have psychosomatic problems before.....
Old 03-18-2006, 12:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would say that as well...because there isn't anything in water that can "spoil" while it is in your stomach. My advice would be to "sip" rather than gulp, and try to get water in as your beverage during your meals-rather than on an empty stomach and see if that helps.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I can feel extremely nauseous when I drink too much water on an empty stomach. I would suggest maybe only drinking a few glasses of water each time you have a meal--that way, you know there's some substance in your stomach as well. It's also better to sip water throughout the day, so I don't know if maybe you're trying to drink too much all at once (particularly without food)--that can also cause me to feel sick.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:15 PM   #9  

Water does not spoil.....If it did it would turn and or have a experation date. Ok some water does has an Exp date but its like 3 years. Drinking to much water to fast WILL cause one to throw up. I am a powerlifting coach and football and our kids would throw up if they downed to much water to fast. Plus back in the day i used to drink water to make weight for wrestling as i was not heavy enough. Id drink tons of water and throw up alot afterwards but that was like a small pool worth.
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote