South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 03-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #1  
Rejoice in the Lord

Default What about these?

I found these 1 gram sugar for Low carb lifestyle Hershey bars. I'm wondering if they would be allowed. Here are the ingredients: Erythritol; inulin(fiber); chocolate; cocoa butter; polyglycitol syrup; cream; contains 2% or less of: soy lecithin; artificial flavor; and sucralose.

Nutrition facts: cals 130
total fat: 11g
sat fat 7g
trans fat 0g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 15 mg
total carb 18g
dietary fiber 7g
sugars <1g
sugar alcohols 10g
protein 1g

So what do you think?
drakesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The short answer is

The sugar alcohols will probably give you the "runs" - known as the Hershey Squirts around here. The main focus of the South Beach Plan is to eat unprocessed foods, not low carb foods. When you get into phase II you will be able to have a bit of real chocolate that would be much more satisfying.

Erythritol, chocolate, cocoa butter, polyglycitol syrup and cream are not on this plan and what the heck kind of fiber is inulin? This is definitely FRANKENFOOD.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:03 PM   #3  

Default Inulin

This is what I found in the internet.

(I thought it would be OK, because my favorite yogurt (Brown Cow) includes it and they are totally against artificial stuff.)

Inulin is major constituent of some of the most famous of the "old-standby" herbs, such as burdock root, dandelion root, elecampane root, chicory root, and the Chinese herb codonopsis. Botanically, inulin is a storage food in the plants of the Composite family... It is not digested or absorbed... Inulin is recommended sometimes for diabetics; it has a mildly sweet taste, and is filling like starchy foods, but because it is not absorbed, it does not affect blood sugar levels. Despite the similarity of its name to insulin, inulin has no connection with that hormone either chemically or through physiological activity.
jrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:05 PM   #4  

PS--Hershey Bar

I am scared of the other stuff though. Used to eat them and would get the worst case of gas.
jrnyc is offline   Reply With Quote