Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #1  

Question first post & some questions

Hello! I joined this group because I really need the support and information to get back into shape.

I'll be honest here and say that I am not fat, and i know people don't think i'm fat. I'm actually at the weight i'm supposed to be for my height and age.

I'm 5'8" and 138 lbs. My BMI is normal, the fat percentage is normal.. everything is where it's supposed to be according to the "books". However, where my body fat decides to rest is the problem. I gain weight like a man - primarily on my belly and hips. I wasn't blessed with womenly curves (tiny breasts and narrow hips) so I'm self concious of my ever-growing pot belly.

I used to have fantastic metabolism, but like everything else - it changed when I hit the mid-20s. So I'm accustomed to eating the same things with the same amount of minimal excersize, but gaining weight instead of staying steady.

What I do know is that my cardio health is terrible! I'm very much out of shape, and it's noticeable when i try to do anything relatively strenuous.

I came here to get some support (which I can tell I'll be able to get) and some suggestions for diet. Basically, I want to nip my lethargy and poor health habit in the bud.

My ultimate goal is to tone up, get rid of the belly bulge and most importantly feel better about myself and in general (and stay that way). I looked and felt my best at 125 lbs which was probably 8 years ago. I know that 125 is underweight for me, but my frame is long and small, so having even the extra 15 lbs doesn't sit on me well.

There are seemingly thousands of diet options out there, and scouring through them just gets overwhelming. Is anyone here in my situation at all? Does anyone have a suggestion of the best type of diet for me? I feel like I'm asking a lot, but I really want to get this started.

thanks for reading.
Tara
Fiery Ferdinands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #2  
Slow and Steady...

S/C/G: 250/179/140

Tara

It sounds like you don't really need a diet, that you just need to eat healthy foods. Go to freedieting dot com and look up how many calories you should be eating, it will tell you the different cals you need to a) maintain b) loss fat or c) extreme fat loss . Focus on getting the right foods you need for nutrition, foods with different vitamins and nutrients, grains, veggies, meats, etc. If you feel like you need to cut your calorie intake from where you are at now, start small...100 - 200 calories. Maybe start with subsituting high fat foods for low fat alternatives (dressings, mayo, sour cream, milk, etc) and go with whole grain pasta and breads.

Then exercise! Regardless of weight, exercise is beneficial to everyone. Start lifting some weights to tone up. Throw in some cardio...walking, jogging, whatever! Build up - don't overdo it, especially if you are in bad shape. And always stretch. Flexibility goes a long way for your physical and mental health.

Start looking at things as a complete and lifelong lifestyle change, things that you can change that won't be horrible or drastic. That doesn't mean that you can't eat junk food on occasion: More healthy eating instead of more unhealthy eating.

Good luck with your process, Alicia
curlygurl1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygurl1977
Tara

It sounds like you don't really need a diet, that you just need to eat healthy foods. Go to freedieting dot com and look up how many calories you should be eating, it will tell you the different cals you need to a) maintain b) loss fat or c) extreme fat loss . Focus on getting the right foods you need for nutrition, foods with different vitamins and nutrients, grains, veggies, meats, etc. If you feel like you need to cut your calorie intake from where you are at now, start small...100 - 200 calories. Maybe start with subsituting high fat foods for low fat alternatives (dressings, mayo, sour cream, milk, etc) and go with whole grain pasta and breads.

Then exercise! Regardless of weight, exercise is beneficial to everyone. Start lifting some weights to tone up. Throw in some cardio...walking, jogging, whatever! Build up - don't overdo it, especially if you are in bad shape. And always stretch. Flexibility goes a long way for your physical and mental health.

Start looking at things as a complete and lifelong lifestyle change, things that you can change that won't be horrible or drastic. That doesn't mean that you can't eat junk food on occasion: More healthy eating instead of more unhealthy eating.

Good luck with your process, Alicia
Thanks so much Alicia. I knew it had to be healthier.. i just didn't know how. I basically need to be told what to eat.. lol. thanks for the site info too.

i'm glad i came here, thanks again.

tara
Fiery Ferdinands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Height: 5'5"

A book that got me interested in healthy eating is, "Superfoods RX" by Steven Pratt. You might look at that at the library, and it give you some ideas of healthy foods that you might want to add to your diet (preferably replacing some of those unhealthy ones).

*Note the phrase "got me interested in healthy eating." Wish the actual "healthy eating" was easier.
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote