General chatter - Sciatica (again) - leg weakness - temporary?

icmethinner
03-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi - still suffering from the sciatica although the pain is much better. My concern is that my leg is still sort of numb and it seems a little weaker than the other. At this point, my pain is from standing or walking for more than a few minutes at a time. Sitting no longer hurts.

Many of you who have had this were kind enough to share your stories and advice - do the above symptoms ring a bell with anyone and did they get better? I am sweating that I might have to have surgery. I go tomorrow morning for my MRI results, but would love to hear some firsthand experiences with this.

Thanks!:)

BerkshireGrl
03-14-2006, 10:44 PM
I had sciatica back in 1999 when I had a 10-day back spasm that kicked my butt! That was actually what drove me to go from ~210 pounds down to 156 ;) Sadly I forgot how much being over 200 sucked... and now I'm back on the losing track - now I have another back issue driving me to do it... heh!

Anyway! In my case, my left leg became useless for a few days, not just weak. I had no idea how heavy a leg was until I had to lift myself off the floor by bracing myself on a coffee table and listing with my arms and one semi-good leg. ;)

As the spasm relented, my leg gained strength... but I had tingling, numbness, pins-and-needles, and jabs of pain that made it go out briefly as it recovered. All I assume from nerves getting squashed by the vertebra/disk being pulled out of alignment.

I hope for you that it goes away on its own :) But if you DO end getting "surged" - I can share that my mom had surgery for bad disks and after suffering through years of back spasms. Good news: she has not had a single twinge after that surgery healed up over 15 years ago!

Best healthy wishes!

icmethinner
03-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Thank you Sarah - sorry you went through that! Glad you're better! Gives me hope as well!

bnbsmommy1
03-15-2006, 12:47 AM
yes, I had the same symptoms and I kept ignoring it until it just got worse. Post surgery I still have little to no feeling in my two smallest toes on that leg and I believe it's from so much damage done to that nerve because I let it go to long. You're doing the right thing by having it looked at, I do hope that everything goes well for you. Just keep away from strenuous activity and lifting heavy things (even groceries!!) until your doctor gives you the okay :hug:

Lacey

MlleOdile
03-15-2006, 01:31 AM
When I had my first bad bout of sciatica right after having my first child - I had numbness in my leg immediately... told the nurse about it, and she said just to move it around (grrrr)... at home it got worse.. and eventually gave way while I was standing on it... so yes, numbness and weakness that subsided with time. Haven't had any sciatica for a long time, and the other night took a good walk but it was colder than normal for So Cal... got it that night... but after advil and a heating pad, and some stretching, no more pain... so have faith, it does get better!

icmethinner
03-15-2006, 07:39 AM
It is definitely comforting to know that others have had these symptoms and they weren't permanent.

srmb60
03-15-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm anxious to know how your tests turn out. Keep in touch will ya?