Dieting with Obstacles - New to Hypothyroid

View Full Version : New to Hypothyroid

ksjaberjaw
03-14-2006, 05:35 PM
I was just dx with hypothyroid yesterday and I was searching for answers to what I have and I found this site. I have been batteling weight problems for years I am a 36 years old married mother of 3 (17,13, and 4) currently I am 5'7" and 285 lbs., also from what I read loss of sex drive, memory loss and several other things are all symptoms of this. I was kind of supprised to get this diagnosis. I went to the doctor for onset muscle weekness and they ran a battery of tests on Friday and told me to start taking a vitamin and co-q-10the doctor then called on monday and said that my thyroid level was a concern and they were calling the pharmacy with a prescription to begin taking them that day. I didnt receive really any information from them other then that was what they found so I am not sure what my level was. I was reading that I should not take the vitamens with the medicince and several other facts that I was unaware of. Is there someone that can give me more information on this disease and some good sites for research so that I can understand what is going on and what I should be doing until I return to the doctor on 3/30.

ksjaberjaw

cheekin
03-14-2006, 06:02 PM
i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about a year and a half ago, and am finally on the right dose of medications.

thyroid supplements will help your metabolism restart and get you back to normal energywise. it takes about 6 weeks of taking a dose of medicine to get your body used to it, and then you'll need to have another blood test, which might adjust the levels, and this will repeat untill you and your dr like the numbers. its a good practice to get a copy of the labs and look at the numbers yourself (i had one dr who was entirely incompetent and misread the results)

the bit with vitamins is that the thyroid supplement will bind to calcium/iron. so i generally set my alarm for 30 minutes before i want to wake up in the morning, take my pill, and go back to sleep so that i don't have to sit around in the morning starving waiting till i can eat/take vitamins. my dr said to wait at least 30 minutes, though longer doesn't hurt.

good luck with the meds, hopefully this helps. even with regulated bloodwork, people with hypothyroidism often lose weight slower than others- so don't get frustrated if you don't get amazing results.

B&LSMAMA
03-15-2006, 12:23 PM
I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when i was 16 (20 years ago) and you are on your way to feeling SO MUCH BETTER!!! I recently had to quit taking mine for 6 weeks to do a procedure and I could not wait to get back on them! I was so sluggish and just plan miserable! But then I'm on a very strong dose, so you might not see as much of a difference as I did. I do take all of my meds together - i take 2 other pills and a multi vitamin, but maybe i shouldn't be doing this....i have never been told not to... Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that it is no big deal. It affects alot of different things, but as long as you take the meds, it is VERY treatable. If I didn't know what it was, I would be very scared and it's really nothing to be scared of - just wanted to let you know that!!;)

cathyxxx
03-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey ksjaberjaw,

I also have hypothyroidism. It took me over 20 years to get the correct diagnosis but I finally found a doc to treat me and man oh man I am so much better!!!!! My oldest son also has a thyroid problem and bec of that I have drowned myself in all the info I can find on thyroid - in order to make sure that he gets the treatment that he needs. (and he is doing really well) :-)

There is a wealth of good info out there at places like:
www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

and www.thyroid-info.com/

and www.thyroid.about.com
you can subscribe to Mary Shomon's weekly newsletter there and that way you can get current articles each week.

and Mary Shomon has an excellent book called The Thyroid Diet - the first half of the book is full of excellent thyroid info, and the second half addresses how we should eat.

Another good book is Thyroid Power by Drs Richard & Karilee Shames and
Hormones, Health & Happiness by Dr. Steven Hotze

There are several threads going here in this section about hypothyroidism that you might like to read. One recently lenghty one is at:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73849

Please let me know if I can help in anyway.
hugs,
Cathy

housewife
03-19-2006, 11:56 PM
I have been on Thyroxian for about 9 years. By the time a friend told me that if I didn't go to the dr she would drive 18 hours to my house and kick me all the way to the dr's office I was in really bad shape! My THS was 203.something. I was depressed, cold, tired and grumppy (I really don't recomend triple digets you start going a little crazy). Needless to say it took a long time to get down to normal The worst part is that I drove my babies around in that state!!!
For the most part it is very easy to deal with. The big thing is to remember to take your pill and your vitamins later. I have a big black and white furry reminder, my english springer spainel has the same problem! So now the vet and my dr are reminding me that walking is a good thing for us both LOL.

sli
03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
I have had hypothyroid for about 2yrs now. I know I had to buy something to put my pills in so I could remember if I took them or not. I know it also makes it a little harder to loose weight but it is possiable.
I guess my question is that I read the posts and all of you said something about the medication being Thyroxian I am on Synthroid. Two different mcg's (I have to altenate days) Anyway does anyone know the difference between the two different brands? I know that its kind of a silly question but I was just wondering.

housewife
04-11-2006, 11:16 PM
Nothing is a silly question. Thyroxian not a brand but a term used for all the brand. You ask dr they will say there is no difference between brands but some work better on some people than others. If you feel good on your brand then no worry.

sli
04-11-2006, 11:45 PM
Thank you "housewife" for answering my question.
My medication has helped alot the only main problem I still have is lack of energy...I am hoping that the more weight that I loose will help that too.

Misti in Seattle
04-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi... I'm hypothyroid too and had a tumor removed almost two years ago. I was also sooooooooooooooooooooo sluggish for a long time but finally seem to have the meds adjusted right and my energy is coming back. Hope you get things straightened out really fast!!!

Ms. Shapen
04-12-2006, 04:30 PM
I have had hypothyroidism for 20 years. My family doctor "found" the problem and like KSJaberJaw, said nothing other than I needed the meds and how often to take them.

You CAN get your test results from your doctor. Call (probably your doctor's nurse) and ask for a copy. You can go pick them up or have them mailed to you.

It wasn't until about a year ago, when I started seeing an endocrinologist, that I started feeling my best (although I still could use some improvement). He was the one who told me to take my Synthroid about half an hour before eating breakfast. He told me to take it roughly the same time everyday.

I generally take mine when I wake up (5:30). Then, I shower and by the time I have my makeup on, am dressed and have my hair done, I'm ready for b'fast. When I get to work, I have my vitamins around 10:00.

Be careful with herbal concoctions, as they can affect your thyroid levels.

I bought a book by Mary Shomon. It has plenty of good info, but I get tired of her attitude. She seems to have a chip on her shoulder that she can't seem to brush off. LOL

I also find the best info at webmd dot com.

My doctor told me that getting your thyroid back at the level it is supposed to be is like walking up stairs. Each day you take a pill, which is like taking a step toward your proper level. The meds act as building blocks. So taking them each day is important. He told me that if I miss a day, that's like taking a step down the staircase, lowering my level. So, if I miss a day, I take two the next day to keep my level up.

It wasn't until I did my own research that I found out that so many things (dry hair, brittle nails, cold hands & feet, etc.) that were troubling me were symptoms of my thyroid. Finally! At least I could understand what was going on with myself! I really wasn't crazy . . . well . . . not as crazy as I thought. LOL

sli
04-12-2006, 11:57 PM
I was told that I could not take two in one day if I missed one. You said that you do and that doesn't bother anything?
Because every once in a great while I do or have forgotten and I feel like total crap when I do.

Misti in Seattle
04-13-2006, 04:41 AM
I
I bought a book by Mary Shomon. It has plenty of good info, but I get tired of her attitude. She seems to have a chip on her shoulder that she can't seem to brush off.

LOL I agree completely! I bought the book too as I had heard so many raves about it; but it seemed to me that she and her followers had a real tendency to whine and say everything wouldn't work and your doctor doesn't know what s/he is talking about, etc. Hmmmmm guess I need to put that thing back on eBay where I got it LOL

Ms. Shapen
04-13-2006, 09:04 AM
SLI: Yep, I've taken more than one at a time. I think that if doing that bothers you, you could take one, wait an hour or so and take the second one. Or you could take 1 1/2 one day and 1 1/2 the next day to get the benefits of three full days' worth of the medicine.

Misti: Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't imagining Shomon's attitude. ;) I remember reading her book and thinking, Okay, get over it. :rolleyes: :lol:

PS for new hypothyroid patients: Just wait until your meds need adjusting while you are in peri-menopause with PMS. Now, THAT is a ride! :crazy:

QuilterInVA
04-13-2006, 12:19 PM
My doctor also told me not to take 2 in one day. Too much at once can lead to a heart attack - that is the same reason they have to slowly increase the dosage until they get to the right one for you.

Misti in Seattle
04-15-2006, 01:32 AM
Misti: Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't imagining Shomon's attitude. ;) I remember reading her book and thinking, Okay, get over it. :rolleyes: :lol:

LOL same here... I thought... "YOU be that negative if you want! I am going to remain positive and work through this!!" :)

:rain: in Seattle

mysticvix
04-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Greetings from Scotland!
I've just been diagnosed with Hypothyroism, so this thread (and forum) has been a great help.
Just thought I'd stick my head round the door and say hi!
;)

Misti in Seattle
04-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Hi mysticvix! :wel3fc: Good having you here! Glad you got the hypothyroid diagnosed as this is the first step of course to getting the treatment you need! That stuff can really mess you up but it CAN get better!! Hang in there!!

I LOVED Scotland when I was there... friendliest people anywhere! Edinburgh was grand!!! Also spent the night at a tiny town right on the border of Scotland and England... LOL I got off there at the advice of passengers on the train when it broke down and I had to change my plans!!! ??something--on-Avon; forgot. But it was incredible! Wow oh wow one of my favorite vacation memories ever!!

mysticvix
04-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi Misti, thanks for the welcome. I've just started treatment this week and I have to go back in 5 weeks for more bloods.
I'm originally from Edinburgh (grew up in the shadow of the castle!) and I now live in a small town in the Borders.
I've no idea where your mystery vacation stop was but I doubt it was on Avon - that's "down south" most likely to have been somewhere on Tyne or Tweed as they are the two big rivers in the Borders.:)

Misti in Seattle
04-22-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi mystic... how did they find your hypothyroid? Hope the testing goes well for you. I had a huge tumor so had half of mine removed but the surgery was not all that bad.

Oh I loved the castle at Edinburgh! Neat that you grew up so close to it! But LOL I am fortunate in that I live in Seattle and Edinburgh reminded me a LOT of this area of the US!

I remembered the town after digging on the Internet. It was Berwick Upon Tweed! I had the most fun evening there exploring, and found a neat little B&B to stay in! I ended up being really glad the train broke down. :)

mysticvix
04-23-2006, 03:38 AM
Hi,
I was at the doctors a few weeks back for a repeat prescription of an anti-depressant I've been on for about a year, I mentioned to him that I felt tired all the time, and had no motivation to do anything as I thought it might be a side effect of the AD's He suggested we check my thyroid levels, and lo and behold it was my thyroid all the time!
what beats me is that after doing some research on the net about symptoms etc it sems that I've probably had an underactive tyroid for about 20 years and none of the doc's i've seen have ever thought of testing me! :dizzy:
Still at least I know now, and I can look forward to feeling "normal" again (whatever that means!)
Glad you enjoyed Berwick, it's a lovely town I go to a motorcycle rally every year at their rugby club! :D

Misti in Seattle
04-23-2006, 09:32 AM
The lack of diagnosis is soooooooooooooo typical! Doctors just don't check it unless you ask or there is a specific reason! I had just had a physical by my doctor who is very efficient... but she did not notice a huge lump on the side of my neck! Nor had I, amazingly enough! I went to a surgeon for removal of a breast lump -- he walked in, introduced himself, took one look at me and said "you have a very enlarged thyroid." And like you, I had had classic symptoms for years!

I am sure you know that weight gain is another classic effect! As an adult I had always fought a battle with it... but my weight ballooned 100 pounds within a year and I could not get it off so gave up trying which of course was a huge mistake! :) Just curious... do you carry your weight on top... and stomach? That and the thin arms and legs (which is how I carry mine) is typical of hypothyroid. But now that I have my meds adjusted right, I've been losing really well... of course I am working really hard at it, but that's okay! :jig:

Yah Berwick was gorgeous! But what I enjoyed most about Scotland was that the people were so friendly and helpful! A guy I met traveling over on the boat to France said in Edinburgh he was standing on the street in the pouring rain looking at a map trying to figure out where he was going. Someone came up and asked if they could help him find someplace. He found out the person worked on third floor of an office building and had seen him and come all the way down to help! Amazing!!! :)

I was impressed because I went to a Scottish festival at some theater... and they gave discounts if I showed my foreign passport! A welcome to tourists! Wow MOST places play "soak the tourist" but they gave us reduced price because we were their guests! :carrot:

mysticvix
04-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Just curious... do you carry your weight on top... and stomach? That and the thin arms and legs (which is how I carry mine) is typical of hypothyroid.

In a word yes! Most of my weight is in my torso area, although I wouldn't say the rest of me was skinny, it's certainly disproportionate! :o

Misti in Seattle
04-23-2006, 09:56 AM
In a word yes! Most of my weight is in my torso area, although I wouldn't say the rest of me was skinny, it's certainly disproportionate! :o

Well I couldn't really call mine "skinny" right now either except as you said, in proportion! But hey, let's work together and get this off!! :carrot:

See you this time next year in One-derland!!! Deal? :wave: :dance:

:rain: in Seattle

Misti in Seattle
04-23-2006, 10:02 AM
It wasn't until about a year ago, when I started seeing an endocrinologist, that I started feeling my best (although I still could use some improvement). He was the one who told me to take my Synthroid about half an hour before eating breakfast. He told me to take it roughly the same time everyday.

No one has ever told me to do that!! Fortunately I usually take it in the morning before leaving for work and I eat breakfast at work so do that; but on weekends I probably don't. Thanks for the tip!!! Every little bit helps!! :)

Oh another thing... when I got increased from 50 mcg to 75 mcg, I accidentally filled the old prescription so just cut one in half and took 1-1/2 tablets. The pharmacist advised me NOT to do that with this med as it can cause problems!!

Ms. Shapen
04-26-2006, 04:52 PM
Well, I only stated what my doctor told me. Everyone is different and NO ONE should take ANY medical statement from one person (on a write-in forum no less) as an across-the-board treatment.

My doctor is an endocrinologist and I have to trust his judgement FOR ME. I would think that if there was a chance of me having a heart attack, he wouldn't be stupid to open himself up to that liability. I HAVE heard that the chance of getting osteoporosis increases if a person is kept at a dose that is too much over an extended period of time. BUT I didn't hear that from my endocrinologist . . . I heard it from a nurse at my family doctor's office, so I have to consider that it may not be correct info.

It is my understanding that the dosage of medication is increased gradually, because it's more effective than giving someone a larger dose and realizing it's too much and having to keep playing with it before getting it right.

As it is, with the way my thyroid works, I have to keep getting my meds adjusted nearly every year, since it never is consistent.

The best a person can do is keep going to doctors until he/she finds the doctor that will be most beneficial - then ask the doctor for advice.

Misti in Seattle
04-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Oh I agree completey! Sorry if my message came across as if I was blindly accepting what you said. :) Believe me that is one big reason I pretty much stay out of the thyroid support groups... most of them are not only whiny but they tell you to ignore your doctor and do what THEY tell you; and the follow a woman with a famous book, etc. I do what my doctor tells me... and it's working! :)

RebaR
04-29-2006, 10:57 PM
Hey ya'll,

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid 10 years ago... I was suicidal and had attempted suicide...they did blood work to make sure there wasn't something contributing.... my thyroid was off... that wasn't the total cause, but I know for me it contributed because whenever my meds are off, I get moody and depressed some.... My meds have been changed many times over the years...my doc checks it every 3 to 6 months.... I was somewhat surprised this week when we discovered it was out of whack...(I also have a good friend that can tell when i'm off- she'll ask me if i've had my blood checked...) I was in for my normal check up (I'm diabetic, hypothyroid, high cholestrol, high blood pressure)... and while my HbgA1C (for diabetes) was normal, the cholesterol etc was up... he was trying to figure out why until he hit my TSH level- it was elevated.... so my med has been changed again... now of course, hindsight is 20/20...He said that the thyroid being off affects the other things... I can see some symptoms...things that I had other excuses for - tiredness etc....so, now I'm ready for this new dose to kick in!!

Reba

Misti in Seattle
04-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Hi Reba

Wow I can certainly relate... I thought I was losing my mind when my thyroid was all messed up and I didn't know it. Interesting... the minute I woke up in the hospital after the surgery I could tell a difference and felt better... the "poison" in my system was gone. My friend who just had surgery said the same thing! Amazing

cathyxxx
04-30-2006, 12:56 AM
Hey Reba, it's late and I've got to get to bed but I just noticed your message and wanted to post quickly.

I just wanted to mention that a lot of people are finding that their "mental problems" are due to a thyroid problem. It was certainly the case for my son (and many others) as he was placed on psychotropic meds when in fact his thyroid was off and what he needed was thyroid meds. He is much better now thanks to Armour Thyroid. And he doesn't need the other stuff.

There is a lot of good info on the connection between the thyroid and psychiatric problems at:
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/myxedema-craziness/

Just thought I would post the link in case you would like to see that info.

take care,
Cathy

mysticvix
04-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Just as an alternative view point, here's what the British Thyroid Foundation have to say about Armour:

THE BRITISH THYROID FOUNDATION
Our current views on Armour
The British Thyroid Foundation receives many queries about the use of desiccated thyroid extract. This statement aims to highlight our current position on this issue and inform people of the facts and uncertainties that relate to this treatment.
Armour thyroid is a brand of natural desiccated thyroid extract made by Forest Laboratories in the United States.

Natural desiccated thyroid tablets are made from raw pork thyroid glands collected at slaughterhouses, which are tested for absence of Salmonella and E. Coli, then held in a frozen state until they are delivered to the processing laboratory where they are minced, placed in a vacuum dryer, defatted, then milled to a fine powder before being packaged. Samples are tested for chemical and microbiological characteristics.

The manufacturers state that the following are the ingredients of Armour:

Active ingredients: T3 and T4
Inactive ingredients: calcium state, dextrose, microcrystalline cellulose, sodium starch and opadry white

We have written on several occasions to the manufacturers to ask for confirmation of their ingredients and for details of their quality control procedures but have received no reply to date.

Desiccated thyroid extract is not currently licensed in the UK and was withdrawn from use in the UK in the 1970s after synthetic thyroxine had been developed. At that time there was perceived to be a problem with the quality control of thyroid extract with large variations from batch to batch, due to the variation in T4 (thyroxine) and T3 (triiodothyronine) that it contained.

There is concern amongst some doctors over the substantial fluctuations in T3 levels in blood of patients treated with Armour and the potentially harmful effects on the heart (rapid irregular heart beat which predisposes to clots forming inside the heart and then causing strokes) and bones (osteoporosis).

It is difficult to monitor treatment containing a combination of T3/T4 because of peaks and troughs in T3. The long-term effects of T3, Armour, or combinations of T3 and T4 are not known. T3 has a short half-life of a few hours. Patients on T3 have fluctuating T3 levels and at times these may go beyond the upper limit of normal. By contrast T3 levels in patients on thyroxine are stable. Monitoring thyroid hormone replacement in patients on T4 is easy biochemically because of the stable levels. In someone on T3 or Armour it will depend on the time since the last dose.

The Medicine and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), the licensing authority for pharmaceuticals in the UK and executive agency of the Department of Health, states that natural thyroid products including Armour are not currently licensed in the UK. Any hormone preparation would be classed as a medicine in the UK. As a result they can only be marketed if they have been fully assessed for safety, quality and efficacy by the MHRA and granted a marketing authorisation or product licence. The MHRA does not object to importation of desiccated thyroid extract products provided that they are approved by the United States' Food and Drugs Administration (FDA), standardised to the specification of the United States Pharmacopoeia (USP), and that they are authorised, prescription-only medicine for the treatment of patients with thyroid diseases for whom the UK-licensed synthetic thyroid hormones are not suitable. The MHRA says that it is the decision of each individual PCT as to whether an unlicensed product, in this case Armour, be available on NHS prescription or private prescription (MHRA, Jan 2005). If it is prescribed on an NHS prescription, the patient qualifies for medical exemption because the treatment is for hypothyroidism. Being unlicensed in this country, the doctor would be required to take full responsibility for any adverse effects of the treatment.

The Medicines Act makes provision for doctors to prescribe an unlicensed medicine to meet the needs of an individual patient, on their own responsibility, where they judge the benefit to the patient is justified and outweighs the risk of the unlicensed product. Therefore, the prescription of Armour is a question of clinical judgement on the part of each patient's GP. It is the responsibility of NHS Primary Care Trusts to fund supplies of medicines in their area, whether on a trial or permanent basis. Therefore the decision to provide Armour free from prescription charges would be taken by the GP in consultation with the local PCT.

The BTF sees synthetic thyroxine as the current first-line treatment of hypothyroidism. Current medical practice is governed by evidence. There is no known research showing that porcine thyroid extract is superior to synthetic thyroxine. On the contrary, there are good data that life-long treatment with synthetic thyroxine is safe.

The BTF understands that there are concerns about the use of Armour thyroid because of the rapid fluctuations in T3 levels, the difficulties in monitoring such treatment, uncertainties about the long-term health consequences and the considerably higher costs of such treatment.

The major professional thyroid organisations and published peer-reviewed guidelines on treatment of hypothyroidism recommend thyroxine as the treatment of choice for hypothyroidism and our position is in keeping with this view.

We believe that patients who feel unwell on thyroid hormone treatment merit assessment by a qualified, accredited endocrinologist. Such a management pathway will ensure that thyroid hormone replacement is optimal, other causes of symptoms are considered and a meaningful exploration of the potential risks and benefits of unproven therapies such as Armour can be explored.

We do not consider natural thyroid extract to be suitable for everyone but acknowledge that patients for whom synthetic thyroxine is judged not to be suitable on clinical grounds may, together with their doctor, wish to explore treatment with Armour.

We acknowledge that some doctors, acting out of the best possible interests in the well-being of their patients, and basing their judgement on current research evidence, may be reluctant to prescribe Armour.

Much of the debate about the use of Armour relates to individual accounts of patients who are convinced that switching from thyroxine to Armour has transformed their lives. Doctors are equally aware of patients who have found this treatment unhelpful and some have felt worse than on thyroxine. We feel that it is important to keep an open mind about alternative thyroid hormone replacement regimens to thyroxine, but these issues can only be addressed by a properly conducted prospective randomised controlled trial.

Misti in Seattle
04-30-2006, 09:57 AM
Just a few comments... Cathy, I agree. I thought I was going nuts.. panic attacks, crying for hours... totally unlike me. The minute the thyroid tumor came out it STOPPED! Along with a lot of other symptoms and increasingly so since my tests and meds have been adjusted.

Mystic I appreciate all the info about armour. I've heard the big controversy and how much "better" it is than thyroxine. Well I have been on L-thyroxine for 2 years and it works GREAT so I haven't even asked my doctor about armour!

cathyxxx
04-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Hey Gang, I'll keep this as short as possible ;) and hope you will keep in mind that I am simply trying to share some info that might help someone.

Mystic, I've seen these sort of statements before (as set forth in that article) - it is the same old line that pharmaceutical companies use to try to discredit the natural desiccated thyroid extract. The truth is that desiccated thyroid extract is held to the SAME standards (regarding thyroid hormone content) that the synthetics are....and in fact, if you want to research it, it is Synthroid that has had considerable problems with variability and potency, but here are 2 quick articles.

Synthroid Still Lacks Approval Necessary to Remain Legally on the Market After August 14, 2001
http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa021501a.htm

Synthroid and other Levothyroxine Drugs Have Stability and Potency Problems
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/synthroid1/a/potency.htm

According to informational literature sent out by Forest Pharmaceuticals, Inc.:

"Because Armour Thyroid medications require a 4.22 to 1 ratio of T4 to T3,
batches of desiccated thyroid are mixed until the desired ratio is obtained.
This method ensures that each strength of Armour Thyroid will be consistent
every time."

The statement about "harmful effects on the heart" is also false....in fact, many hypothyroid folks need the extra T3 because it is proven to aid mood and cognition.

This is a link to another UK site that is trying to correct info about Armour and under their treatment section they have a downloadable packet about Armour:
http://www.thyroiduk.org/

If somone is doing fine on their synthetic thyroid med, then fine, but if not, or if they notice not doing well after a few years, then they should know about the natural dessicated thyroid med that contains both T4 and T3 like Armour Thyroid or at the very least about adding a synthetic T3 product like Cytomel to their synthetic med.

Just some quick info - sorry I really am rushed.
hugs,
Cathy

Ms. Shapen
05-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Misti: I haven't been at this site for several days and I just wanted to apologize to you and others for my last post. I didn't intend to make it sound so b!tchy. I was having one of those days, but that's no excuse.

Cathy: Whether Armour is tested and tried or not, it's extremely difficult to find a doctor that would prescribe it. I even had a doctor once tell me that testing my T3 wasn't necessary, because only a very, very small fraction of people have problems with it and the symptoms would present themselves.

I'm just fed up with the whole thing. It's as if we don't know who to believe, what info is correct, or who is more qualified. I remain open to new things, but I feel as though I will never feel "normal." I feel as though part of me will always be gone or at least disconnected.

cathyxxx
05-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Ms. Shapen,

It can be hard to find a doc that will prescribe Armour - but it is possible to find them. They are out there.

As far as being told that testing your Free T3 isn't necessary. That is also nothing new. Docs are told that the TSH is accurate and all they need to run. That is just not the case. If a doc of mine told me a test was unnecessary I would ask him to just humor me (especially since I'm paying for it) and run the tests that I ask. What does it hurt for them to run the tests you ask for. Had I of known 20 years ago that there were more accurate testing the TSH and T3 Uptake I would have found a doc that would run them. I laid low on this for way too long and just believed whatever a doc told me. But when it involved my son's health and wellbeing - well that was a whole other story - and I jumped into it with all fours.

But if you can't get your doc to run the tests you ask you can order your own bloodwork thru www.healthcheckusa.com You would order the Comprehensive Thyroid Panel II for $75.00 and the Anti-Thyroid Antibodies for $60.00. They send the paperwork to you in the mail and then you take it to a Lab One in your area and they draw the blood and you can check your results on line or they send you the results by mail. You can then show those results to your doctor.

But regardless of all of that - if you are still having symptoms and not feeling well then the meds you are taking are not cutting it or you are on too low of a dosage - but I think I've mentioned before that most people with a thyroid problem do not convert T4 to T3 well, so a thyroid med without the T3 usually leaves a person undertreated.

I'm sorry you are fed up with the whole thing Ms. Shapen - I know all of this can be exhausting and sometimes you feel like you are fighting Goliath - I totally understand that - I certainly don't mean to add to your frustration, but I run into so many that are taking the synthetic thyroid meds and still feeling bad and dealing with so many symptoms and it breaks my heart to know that there is another type of thyroid med that could help many.

Personally, I know what to believe bec I have researched it to death AND I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND the difference in several family members (on both my side and hubby's side) that have switched from Synthroid to Armour.

My son and I have only been on Armour Thyroid.

My mother was on Synthroid for 15 years and continued to have many problems - hair loss (she almost went bald on top of her head), high blood pressure, cold all the time, puffy face, protruding eyes, weightgain, etc etc etc Once she saw how well we were doing on Armour she decided she wanted to give it a try bec she was tired of feeling the way she felt for the past 15 years.

We had to find a new doc for my mom, her doc of 30 years would not run the thyroid tests she requested - said the TSH was adequate. We called around and asked different doc's offices if they would run the tests we requested and would they prescribe Armour. We found a young small town doc who said he would run anything within reason and that even tho he had never prescribed Armour, he would let her try it.

Over the next 6 months or so, he could not believe the difference in my mom and told me at one of her last visits that he has switched some of his other patients from Synthroid to Armour - that he just did not know anything about Armour until he looked into it - that he had only been told about synthetic meds - and also he now runs the TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 (and antibodies) tests whenever he does bloodwork for the thyroid. One important thing tho is that he puts more emphasis on her symptoms, or lack thereof, than he does on her lab numbers.

If I were not feeling "normal" or "well" on a synthetic thyroid med, then I would beg beg beg a doc to let me do a trial on Armour for at least 6 months to see if there is any difference, and then I would read as much as I could on the use of Armour, bec if a doc keeps you at too low of a dosage, you will still not feel up to par.

I have 2 file boxes full of nothing but thyroid info, but most of the info that anyone would ever really need has been put together nicely by some special thyroid buddies at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Sorry if I'm bugging you with this stuff. I'm only trying to help if I can.
take care,
Cathy

Misti in Seattle
05-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Misti: I haven't been at this site for several days and I just wanted to apologize to you and others for my last post. I didn't intend to make it sound so b!tchy.

Well if it is any encouragement, I have no idea what you are talking about and didn't find anything you said anywhere close to "*****y." :) In fact I just went and reread your post and still don't find anything remotely offensive about it.... Thanks for the apology if you felt you needed it though... but I think you are being too hard on yourself! :hug:

iamfirmin
05-03-2006, 10:03 AM
MISTI AND MS SHAPEN.. I totally agree with you when it come to Mary Shomon.. i have her books .. however i dont agree with some of her "positions.. I am 50 and 140 5'7" .. my correct weight is 135 -- I am up by choice.. I have built muscle now I am south beaching --LOL to decrease fat .. at 50 I am doing a FIGURE SHOW YAAA.. anyway i been on thy - meds since I was 26.. and my then female endo told me I will have to work a little harder to maintain my weight.. since then I have lifted weights and cardio .. and eat healthy .. THAT IS THE KEY.. ..
SINCE TURNING 50 I QUIT MY JOB and work partime giggling at GNC preparing for my show.. my hubby thinks it wonderful and my kid (they are grown ) think I am crazy! LOL but with out GOALS .. life would be boring !

QuilterInVA
05-03-2006, 04:47 PM
It isn't fair to quote 5 year old articles as current fact. The problem was corrected years ago with Synthroid. Please use current information when citing problems with a drug.

cathyxxx
05-03-2006, 07:43 PM
The point I was making was that it is Synthroid that has had stability problems not Armour and that these thyroid drugs are all made to the SAME standards as far as hormone content.

Ms. Shapen
05-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I read on a thyroid site (sorry, don't remember which one) that a person could call a compounding pharmacy to get the names of doctors that are willing to listen, prescribe Armour (if necessary), and do tests other than the TSH. I made that call this afternoon. I spoke to a female pharmacist who stayed on the phone for several minutes, giving me more info than I had asked for.

She told me that I can take my temperature using a thermometer that doesn't beep or stop reading after 30 seconds. Place it under the arm while still in bed in the morning. Leave it there for 10 minutes every morning for five mornings. Record each morning's reading. If the temperature is less than 97.6, show the results to the doctor, because that indicates undertreatment.

She also said that there is a OTC saliva test for T3 (if the doctor isn't willing to have one done) that is simple and just as accurate as a blood test. The drawback is that it's $75. Ouch.

She also told me that I could look into Selenium, Iodine and Zinc, because they help to activate the thyroid. She said that some people have taken this (I believe she said in addition to their thyroid med) and have felt a lot better.

So far, I've only Googled "Selenium and thyroid" and have found some interesting reading . . . okay . . . it's boring . . . but helpful. LOL I intend on searching the other micronutrients.

This pharmacy is located in a small town, so she gave me the names of doctors in a couple larger cities, stating, "These are GOOD doctors . . ."

I hope this helps someone. If nothing else, call a pharmacy to get info on doctors in your area.

As always, talk to a medical professional before changing your routine as even herbal remedies can effect your health and/or how meds react to them.

QuilterInVA
05-05-2006, 03:37 PM
There were problems in the past with Armour not being consistent dosage. To the best of my knowledge, they have been corrected. Because it is natural, it is less stable.

cathyxxx
05-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Armour, desiccated thyroid extract that has been in use for over 100 years,
is held to the SAME government standards as the synthetic thyroid products.
It's not unstable in any way or it would not be in use.

MichelleRae
05-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Hey Cathy!!
I too must add to the praise for Armour! Synthroid did absolutely nothing for me I still remained tired all the time, so we added cytomel to my synthroid...yeah too many pills in one day, so my doc gave me Armour and I feel 100% better than I did when taking synthroid or levoxyl.

I guess it's just that different things work for different people :)

cathyxxx
05-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Hey Michelle! gosh it's good to see ya!!!!
how ya been doing girlie? you still exercising? I have got to get back to it - I just haven't been able to get back into my normal routine since the hurricane in September. Just craziness everwhere since I work for a general contractor - but that is no excuse ;-)

Michelle, I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling "100% better" on the Armour!!!!! Wow! isn't that something! It's so good to know that you are doing better!

Where are you posting at these days?

hugs,
Cathy

MoodyMama
05-18-2006, 03:01 PM
There's a book you can find at our library thats pretty good. Its older though, but the doc that wrote is world renowed for his hypothyroid breakthroughs and information. Its called "is your thyroid making you fat?" It had a good information and also "controversial" info also. I found it extremely useful though.

JustJuneBug
05-19-2006, 10:07 AM
I had my levels checked this past Wednesday...been on Synthroid since Sept and was on a generic before that (which NEVER worked)...anyway, i have been on the .112 dosage, but when checked this past week, seems my levels were too high...so now i am on the .88 for 2 months to see if that regulates me...

i have been having a hard time sleeping, more like staying asleep even though i run about 22 miles a week, and my body is exhausted...

has anyone else had issues when the dosage might have been too high?

the good news is that i brought my cholesterol from 250 to 183!!!!!!!!!!!

cathyxxx
05-19-2006, 11:42 AM
JustJuneBug,

the only time I have had any issues is when my dosage was too low.

The things you mentioned can still be hypo symptoms - sleeping problems and being exhausted.

How long have you been having a problem with staying asleep and exhaustion? Since the doc reduced your dosage? or before?

Usually a person feels better if they can get their doc to treat their symptoms rather than their lab numbers, but if they are gonna go by the blood work, if you can get them to run the Free T3 and Free T4, you can usually get a better picture of what is going on.

Also if you take your thyroid meds before your blood work is done, it will affect the numbers and make them look better than they are. There are also some other meds and factors that can affect lab numbers in these tests.

My mother stayed undertreated bec she was being treated by a doc that would only prescribe synthetic meds and was dosing her according to her lab work – just the TSH. Every 3 months he was changing her synthroid – up and down. She felt awful.

We finally requested our own blood work thru healthcheckusa.com and this is what it looked like:

TSH 4.119 range 0.30 to 3.00
FREE T4 1.7 range 0.8 to 1.8
FREE T3 2.6 range 2.3 to 4.2

You’ll notice that even her TSH alone didn’t look good at that point (but that doc didn't like the new TSH ranges of 0.3 to 3.0 - he liked the old ranges of 0.5 to 5.0). By just her lab numbers - and according to him - she looked fine. I promise you she was not fine! I could give you a long list of things that were a problem for her for 15 years while being treated like this.

Also, her Free T4 looked pretty good in the upper part of the range but her Free T3 is very low in the range. That is bec most people with a thyroid problem do not convert T4 well to T3.

She also had thyroid antibodies but that is a whole other story. ;-)

Now on 3 grains (180 mgs) of Armour Thyroid this is what her blood work looks like:

TSH 0.04 range 0.30-3.00
Free T4 1.33 range 0.59-1.17
Free T3 3.3 range 2.4-4.2

You’ll notice that now her Free T3 number looks much better in the range – I cannot tell you the difference in her life bec of adding the T3 that is in Armour. But you’ll also notice that her Free T4 number is a little above the range. This new doc is not so concerned about that bec he is mainly pay close attention to her symptoms and realizes that blood work is just a gauge.

I might better mention too that her TSH looks really low on Armour (0.04), but that it is totally normal on Armour for the TSH to be suppressed. If a doc is only use to prescribing synthetic meds, then that 0.04 might freak them out. ;-)

Hope this helps in some small way.
Cathy

cathyxxx
05-19-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm sorry my posts are long but.....there is just so much important info.

I wanted to mention something else about my mother's Free T3 number.

My mother is almost 70 years old so her Free T3 number looks good for her age. But most people (not the elderly) find their Free T3 number needs to be in the upper part of the range, or a little above, in order to feel well and treat their hypo symptoms.

Mine and my son's doc is mainly treating our symptoms (not lab numbers) and bec of that we are both doing really well. But when blood work has been done, both of our Free T3 numbers show up a little above the range.

And I promise you that neither of us are anywhere near hyperthyroid ;-)

I just wanted to mention that if we had docs that simply treated our lab numbers we would both still be hypo and be on other prescriptions meds to treat what are really undertreated hypo symptoms.

Cathy

JustJuneBug
05-20-2006, 09:24 PM
well i dont know the numbers cause they havent sent me the results yet..but he did say they were high, thus the lowering in the dosage. i suspect that over the next month i will either see a difference either good or bad.

i guess i misrepresented when i said exhaustion, its just that as active as i am i dont understand why i cant sleep well. as for your question, i just started the lower dosage 2 days ago. i have been on the higher dosage since last sept.

ALOT of the symptoms i had before they figured out was wrong with me have completely disappeared and my weight is back down to something i can live with :) the only thing that is bothering me is the inability to sleep well....

thanks for your post! at my next appt i shall NOT TAKE MY MEDS before the blood tests! and i will also ask him about Armour.

JustJuneBug
05-20-2006, 09:25 PM
also when i get the results in the mail i will post them here !

cathyxxx
05-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey JustJuneBug,

I'm really glad a lot of your symptoms have disappeared. that is great!

Just want to caution you, if you are gonna ask your doc about Armour, you might want to go the stopthethyroidmadness website that I mentioned and read up on Armour (if you haven't already) and even print out some of the info on Armour. Depending on the doc, he may just spew out some false info about Armour and sometimes it helps if you can leave documentation with them that might give them info they haven't really seen before. Also, sometimes if you beg ;) they may let you do a trial on Armour for 6 months to see if it helps.

I will be watching for when you post your bloodwork. It'll be nice to see what tests that ran and what your numbers look like.

hugs,
Cathy

BassAckwards
05-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Has anyone ever heard of gaining weight after starting Thyroid meds? I was diagnosed with Hypo. back in Oct. and have been on meds since then, and I don't know if it's a coincidence or just me trying to find something to blame but I've gained about 20 pounds since then. I've never been small but I've never noticed a gain this rapidly before. I'm sure I should mention it to my doc but I feel like it's just me making an excuse. :( But whatever it is I don't like it.

MlleOdile
05-26-2006, 11:14 PM
I started to gain weight quickly when I started Synthroid. I didn't tolerate it well at all. I got off of it, and went on Armour. It actually helps me lose weight.

BassAckwards
05-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Hmm. I've not heard of that before. I'll have to look into it. Also, pretty much the only reason I'm on these meds is because of an enlarged Thyroid ... during an exam a doctor felt it and told me I should have it checked out ... so I did. And they did some other tests (ultrasound/the "xray" type thing where I had to take radioactive pills or whatever) and that all came out fine. While I was slightly tired (which could be blamed on having to be up early for class and not getting enough sleep the night before) I had no other symptoms ... and I don't want a huge goiter on my neck, and my levels were off ... i just feel like im taking some pill for no reason you know? BLAH

BassAckwards
05-31-2006, 02:51 PM
Ok so I set up an appointment with my doctor. I was supposed to go back after my last blood test a couple months ago but the results were fine so I never set it up, but now I am noticing my thyroid being enlarged and the whole weight gain thing so I'm gonna see what she says... I hate going to the doctor :(

cathyxxx
05-31-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi BassAckwards (lol I feel bad calling you that but I don't know what else to call ya) ;)

If I were you, I would request a copy of the blood work that was done previously (when they said the results were fine) and copies of all bloodwork that has been done in the past. When you go in for your appointment I would request that your doc run these specific thyroid tests:

FREE T3
FREE T4
TSH
THYROGLOBULIN ANTIBODIES and
THYROID PEROXIDASE ANTIBODIES

It's usually easiest just to print the list out and hand it to your doc, in order to keep there from being any confusion. I have had many friends do that very thing and even then the doc's office only ran the T3 Uptake rather than the FREE T3 - so this stuff can easily get confused.

I went back and read thru some of your other posts and noticed that your TSH was 6.6 and that you were started on thyroid meds. You asked if 6.6 was a big deal. well it can be - and a thyroid problem can be a big deal - especially if untreated or undertreated. The TSH alone can be unreliable for many. Mine has never been higher than 2.30 (the higher your TSH supposedly the lower your thyroid is) and I am now taking 5 grains of Armour Thyroid in order to treat my thyroid symptoms. (and I feel great btw) I also notice that you mention still dealing with depression, weight gain, etc. all of which can be thyroid symptoms. It sounds like you are probably not getting enough thyroid meds to treat your problem and/or that you are taking a T4 only (synthetic) thyroid med.

If you don't mind talking about it, what thyroid med are you taking and what dosage?

Also, I would like to recommend that you check out the info at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com The info there might help you and also there is a long list of possible thyroid symptoms that you can look at. You may notice some other symptoms that you haven't thought about it.

I would really like to take a look at your blood work tests and results if you wouldn't mind talking to me about it. (I only wish that someone would have done this for me 20 years ago!!!!)

If I can help you with any of the info at the website or in any way, please just let me know.

take care,
Cathy

BassAckwards
05-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Well .. I can't find my last lab they sent me (figures) they mailed it to me and I swear I filed it away but now I can't find it. I know they tested T3, T4, and TSH, and If I remember correctly they were all just under the high part in the normal range.

I started on 100mcg of Synthroid and they said that was too much after a blood test, so they lowered it to 88mcg and I had another blood test and it was in the normal range like I said. I know the doctor said she wanted my levels to be in the lower part of the normal range because of the enlarged thyroid, and I was supposed to go back and see her like I said and I never did. So no one ever declared that my levels are where they are supposed to be, maybe that is my problem? Maybe they will up the dose again? who knows. Im sick of doctors lol.

cathyxxx
05-31-2006, 08:04 PM
BassAckwards,

when you find your copies could you please look and make sure it says FREE T3 AND FREE T4. Not just T3 or T3 Uptake or T4 that is not the same thing and a lot of docs don't run the FREE T3 and FREE T4 tests unless you ask specifically for it.

Most people do best when their thyroid hormones (Free T3 & Free T4) are in the upper 1/3 of the range, so I'm hoping that you mean, or that your doc means, that she wants your TSH to be in the lower part of the range - and not the Free T3 and Free T4 results.

Your enlarged thyroid (goiter) is because your thyroid is ailing...more thyroid hormone should shrink your goiter.

Were you able to look at the list of hypo symptoms at stopthethyroidmadness? did you notice other things that you are dealing with?

Cathy

BassAckwards
05-31-2006, 09:49 PM
I could have some of those symptoms, and then there are some that I have the opposite of.
Like, My hands and feet are usually hot(sweaty eww) rather than cold, I dont have high BP, definately not dry hair, I have low cholesterol, and non hard stools (sorry TMI), im rarely cold, I don't fall asleep easily, ....

The things I may have are:
Dry cracking skin (just on hands and feet)
Inability to lose weight
Always gaining weight (lately)
NO sex drive
Aching muscles (back)
Extremely crabby, irritable, intolerant of others (sometimes haha)

cathyxxx
06-02-2006, 03:02 PM
The list is a list of possible symptoms. Some people have one or two symptoms, some people have a list a mile long (like me) and some only have mental problems (at least in the beginning anyway) like depression, anxiety, bipolar, etc etc etc. Just wanted you to check out the list and see if you noticed other symptoms.

My son takes 5 grains of Armour also and he has never been cold a day in his life. He is hot natured. His temp has never been below normal that we know of. Before Armour, mine was always 97.2 but now it is close to normal.

The thyroid can affect so many things and it can affect people in many different ways.

Before starting Armour my knees were really bothering me. I figured it must have something to do with my weight. When I mentioned it to my doc he was very nice and said "honestly, I really don't think your weight is enough that it should bother your knees" THANK YOU ;) I had no idea that it could be another hypo symptom until the pain went away on Armour and I realized that it was one of many things that got better for me (and/or went away) once my thyroid problem was being treated.

Actually, I think I had a problem with everything you listed. ;-) my list was long, but thankfully my blood pressure has always been low as well as my cholesterol (like you mentioned).

Just checking - Did you happen to find your copies of your blood work?

later gater,
Cathy

BassAckwards
06-04-2006, 05:34 PM
no i never did find them, but I will see if I can get copies when I go in for my appointment on the 12th.

rdhdgrl1
07-26-2006, 06:13 PM
I've was diagnosed 4 years ago. I have been on Armour since the beginning. I feel really bad on it. I am going to switch to synthroid soon. My mother was on synthroid and switched to armour because I told her it was more natural etc.. Well her cholesterol is back up as well as blood pressure. After 2 years for her she's switching back also. I've checked out the stop the thyroid madness site and read numerous books on the subject. I tried many of the suggestions that were recomended. I'm tired of feeling crappy. I can tell I am off whack right now. I'm down, sluggish, grouchy. I'll speak with my doc. tomorrow. I just want this to get better and Armour isn't working for me. I've actually gained weight and had the hardest time in my life losing on this stuff. I also crave sugar like crazy on it. I know because I stopped taking my pills a while ago for a month and I had no sugar cravings and then when I started taking them again, man, the cravings were out of control. So I hope Synthroid works. This was a great post by the way.

cathyxxx
07-26-2006, 07:40 PM
rdhd,
my first thought is that your dosages are too low if there are problems with cholesterol and blood pressure and sluggishness and such - all of those things can be undertreated thyroid problems.
do you mind me asking what dosage you and your mom are taking?
how in the world were you able to be stand being off your thyroid meds for a month???
Cathy

RacerWife7
07-27-2006, 10:04 AM
I was diagnosed at age 22 - I'm now 41. I knew NOTHING about the thyroid when I was diagnosed. All my Doctor told me was that the cold that I had a month or two prior had probably damaged my thyroid's ability to release the hormone. So, I ended up with a goiter because my brain kept telling my body to make the hormone - and it WAS making it - but it had no way to release it. So, my thyroid measured about 1-1/2" across when they did an ultrasound on it.

It took about 3 weeks of being on meds before I started to feel better. And even now - almost 20 years later - I still have some lingering issues that never seem to get better. I still get tired MUCH earlier than most people - and when I conk out, I'm down for the count. There's almost no waking me for at least 2-3 hours. And I lose hair like you wouldn't believe. I'm the never-ending drain clogger. LOL!

Losing weight and being hypothyroid I find extremely difficult. And to add insult to injury, I'm now entering perimenopause with all the classic symptoms - further slowing down any progress that I hope to make. UGH... what a pain in the butt!

rdhdgrl1
07-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Hi Cathy-
I was on 90 mg. And my mom was on 120 mg. I started Synthroid this morning @ 50 mcg. to start. I'll get a blood test in 6-8 weeks. I really tried to make Armour work. I tried for four years. I increased my dose after 2-3 weeks like the stop the tyroid madness suggested. I just never felt right on it. I don't know how synthroid will be either but I need to at least try it. When I went off of my meds for a month I felt better than being on them until the last few days when I felt like I hit a brick wall. I don't have a lot of hyposymptoms. I don't have an intolerance to cold temps. I don't have thin brittle hair and nails. I was originally tested because I was tired and I had 3 miscarriages in a year. I decided to go on Armour because I am more natural minded. Believe me I wish it worked for me. My mother was jittery and nervous on it. So I know her dose was definitly high enough but it still didn't help her cholesterol, etc. I'm happy for people who Armour works well for, but I need to try synthroid to see how it works for me.

cathyxxx
07-27-2006, 12:06 PM
rdhd - 90 mgs is 1 1/2 grains - that is a low dose. Most people need between 3 to 5 grains (180mgs to 300mgs). That seems to be the normal dosage. I take 5 grains (300mgs) and so does my son. My mom takes 3 grains.

I hope the synthroid works for you but it sounds like you were never on a high enough dosage of the Armour. Were you (or you doc) basing your dosage on our bloodwork or on your symptoms?

RacerWife7 - would you mind me asking what thyroid med you are taking and what dosage? The reason I ask is bec it took me getting up to 5 grains (300 mgs) of Armour before my hair quit falling out. I mean, sometimes things are just different for us (or a little more difficult) since we do have a thyroid problem, but some of our symptoms can be managed better once we are on the right dosage and the right thyroid med. You might find the info at this website helpful to you: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Cathy

Leenie
07-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Hijacking thread for a second...

RacerWife7 I'm also in NJ, a stone throw away from Ramsey *high five* Nice to have you here.

Leenie

RacerWife7
08-02-2006, 10:53 AM
RacerWife7 - would you mind me asking what thyroid med you are taking and what dosage? The reason I ask is bec it took me getting up to 5 grains (300 mgs) of Armour before my hair quit falling out. I mean, sometimes things are just different for us (or a little more difficult) since we do have a thyroid problem, but some of our symptoms can be managed better once we are on the right dosage and the right thyroid med. You might find the info at this website helpful to you: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Cathy

I'm on Levoxyl 1 mg

What's Armour? I never heard of that.

I'll check out the site - thanks!

RacerWife7
08-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Hijacking thread for a second...

RacerWife7 I'm also in NJ, a stone throw away from Ramsey *high five* Nice to have you here.

Leenie

Whee are you, Leenie?!

cathyxxx
08-02-2006, 12:01 PM
RacerWife - basically Armour Thyroid is a natural prescription thyroid med - not synthetic like Synthroid or Levoxyl. Armour contains both T4 AND T3 (well and T2 and T1 too but that is a whole other story) whereas synthetic thyroid meds contain only T4.

Armour is made from a pig's thyroid gland and contains the same hormones that your thyroid would make.

Some docs explain that when you get enough T4 then it will convert to the T3 that you need, but the problem is that most people with a thyroid problem (which are the ones that are taking this stuff) do not convert well to T3 so they need it directly in their thyroid med. I think that is the main reason that people do so well on Armour - bec it has the T3 along with the T4, and the others that we would make.

There is plenty of info on Armour at their website and also at stopthethyroidmadness under "Natural Thyroid 101". You can check out the info at http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101/

Are they dosing you based on your TSH reading? rather than your symptoms?

.1 mg of Levoxyl is equal to about 1 grain (60 mgs) of Armour - which is a low dose.

hope the info helps. Let me know if I can help with any of it.
take care,
Cathy

yoda
08-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Cathy - I am not sure you saw my note to you or not. I am sorry to highjack this thread but I haven't seen you post in awhile.

I am soo thankful to you for giving my that website address. It convinced me to see a Holistic doctor regarding my thyroid. At my first appt. (which was 2 1/2 hours btw), He realized I was suffering from Candida. He gave me a supplement that is working great and I have already seen some improvements. I am having a few procedures regarding fertility next month. If nothing comes from that we will switch to armour. I cannot thank you enough for giving me the information I needed to make myself heathly. For the first time in months - I feel like I can take charge of my weight issues and actually feel like hitting the gym. You have certainly brightened my life.

THANKS! :goodvibes

cathyxxx
08-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Hey Yoda,
I'm sorry but no I didn't see your message until just now. I just posted a reply to the thread you started, but again, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR LETTING ME KNOW! I am so glad to know that the info has helped you!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you know that a lot of people with thyroid problems have infertility issues! I have a friend who hadn't had a period in over 10 years. Not long after starting on Armour Thyroid her periods came back and bec of her age she is now on birth control pills. She had no idea that an undiagnosed thyroid problem was causing that.

Please keep me posted of your progress. I wish you the very best!
hugs,
Cathy

navwife
08-06-2006, 04:24 PM
hi i am a la weight loss member i have graves disease and hypothyriodism i have been battling with this for 4 rs now and with my weight i use to weight 150 before i had thyriod problem but then i went to 225 been with la weight loss since march and now at 205.very slow with weight loss . i am on synthriod .3mcg if and there is any suggestion withwhat vitamins i can take please let me know .

AuntieSas
08-08-2006, 07:46 PM
My hypothyroidism was diagnosed when I was 11, that was 21 years ago. I've been on synthroid, levoxyl, and currently on levothyroxine. Hated Synthroid, liked Levoxyl, and not too crazy about Levothyroxine (Perscription plan have no choice). I know I read somewhere ages ago that L-Tyrosine was good to take if you had hypothroidism. I have seen it at Vitamin World and GNC.

BassAckwards
08-15-2006, 04:12 PM
My hypothyroidism was diagnosed when I was 11, that was 21 years ago. I've been on synthroid, levoxyl, and currently on levothyroxine. Hated Synthroid, liked Levoxyl, and not too crazy about Levothyroxine (Perscription plan have no choice). I know I read somewhere ages ago that L-Tyrosine was good to take if you had hypothroidism. I have seen it at Vitamin World and GNC.

I thought Levothyroxine was just the generic for Sythroid? My doc wrote out synthroid and when i filled it they asked if i wanted the generic and i got levothyroxine.
Then my doctor told me they would rather not have me on the generic because it wasn't as accurate as far as how much of a dose the pill actually has because it wasn't regulated as well or something like that?

But my co-pay was still only $10 for the non-generic so i don't really care lol.

didi65
08-15-2006, 07:11 PM
I was diagnosed 5 weeks ago after going to my doctor for muscle aches and pains and spasms . She sent me to a Rhumatologist who found it right away and had me on my meds by the next day . I already feel alot better . Have my levels checked again in 2 weeks . I am actually out walking again which I hadn't done in months . Truth be told back in March when I tried walking around the block with my son I had to keep stopping because my back spasmed so much . I am finding that for me the pill is working better with the regular exercise . Good luck everyone . I am so glad I found this forum and this thread with so much useful information .

jmo
08-17-2006, 12:15 AM
Hello, I am new to this particular posting site. I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about 2 1/2 years ago. My doc put me on Levoxyl and Celaxa(anti-depressant). I lost weight and felt great. She later changed my Anti-depressant and I packed on the lbs. I have had my dosages of Levoxyl changed countless numbers of times and have had to deal with the generic thing as well b/c of insurances regulations. In the midst of all this upheaval, I had to find a new doc. She pulled a TSH and free T4, no T3; my TSH was .066, so she lowered my dosage off Levoxyl. I am currently on 112 mcg of Levoxyl and doing a little better on the name brand no anti-depressants however. (I attribute some of my improvement to being taken of the Antidepressant). I still suffer from some of the hypo symptoms, such as being cold, unable to loose weight, as well as the mental symptoms(mild drepression and a few others). I am very interested in pursuing the possibility of trying the Armour Thyroid. How do you get your doc to perscribe the drug or even talk to you about it? :?: Where can you find a doc who just might consider it. I truly need help in pursuing this notion. thanks

Misti in Seattle
08-17-2006, 01:18 AM
I thought Levothyroxine was just the generic for Sythroid? My doc wrote out synthroid and when i filled it they asked if i wanted the generic and i got levothyroxine.

That is my understanding also.... my prescription is L-thyoxine (assume that is "short" for levothyroxine) and I too was told that it is generic for synthroid. In any case, they are working great for me so I'm not asking too many more questions. :) My co-pay would be more too for non-generics.

cathyxxx
08-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Hey jmo,

there is a lot of info at a website that would probably be of help to you. Please check out the info at
www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

there is topic there called "Dear Doctor" that you might want to check out. You could adapt that letter and give it to your doctor. there is also another section on "How to Find a Good Doctor" but wherever you get a name from be sure to ask the doc's office at the time you are trying to make appt to be sure they will prescribe Armour Thyroid.

There is a lot of info there that you could try to share with your own doctor, or you could just simply explain that you would like to switch to Armour Thyroid and do a trial on it for 6 months or so to see how you do on it. You might want to print out some of the info there about Armour bec some docs have been misinformed about it, and if you are able to get your doc to switch you, you want to be sure they do not keep you underdosed, which would make you feel like the Armour isn't helping. You may have to do some research to become your own best advocate, but really all of the info you will need has been put together at this website (which makes it really handy).

If you doc is unwilling to let you switch and try it, then you can call local pharmacies and ask them for the names of docs that prescribe Armour Thyroid, and then call their offices and ask their office about it and then make an appointment. Of you can simply just call local doctors in your phone book and ask their office if they will prescribe it and make an appt when you find one that will.

Please let me know if I can help with any of the info at the website or anything else.
take care,
Cathy

babygrant
09-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey everyone
I am Angela. I am almost 25 years old and I have been on Synthroid for 2 months. I started 7 months after my son was born. I am actually really depressed. I have gained 18 lbs in 2 months. This sucks :( Will post more later but my baby is up.

Angela