Exercise! - stability ball?

View Full Version : stability ball?

FeistyRoo
03-14-2006, 04:02 PM
I was wondering how well do some people like excercising on a stability ball?
Do you feel that it tones you up? It looks pretty interesting to me and I have thought about adding it to my work out. Just haven't been sure about purchasing it yet. I had never worked out one one before.

Is there a weight limit to be on one?
Is it a pretty strong made ball?

Mrs SmartyPants
03-14-2006, 04:10 PM
I asked this question not too long ago - and most balls hold at least 300 lbs (I think someone mentioned that they hold up to 600 lbs)

The way to choose a ball is by size (women up to 5'4 would use a 55cm ball)

happydaisy
03-14-2006, 04:31 PM
I have a stability ball and I LOVE it!! You can feel the way it changes your form and improves your workout, especially with the abs. I have a couple of toning videos I use with it and I also stretch on it.

hellcatjill
03-14-2006, 04:36 PM
I use mine for abs, and I love it, but I haven't used it much for anything else. I'm thinking about getting a DVD or something so that I can use it to get more of a total body workout.

northernbelle
03-14-2006, 08:25 PM
You can do all sorts of exercises on a stability ball- concentration curls, triceps extensions, chest extensions, hamstring exercises. Squat with the ball between your back and a wall.

The great thing about a stability ball (and what makes it difficult) is that while you are doing the exercise, your core muscles have to stabilize your body on the ball. This way you get a double workout.

For the price, a stability ball is the best fitness investment one can make.

kykaree
03-15-2006, 08:11 AM
I love the ball. I really dreaded using it at first and just used it for wall squats at first, but now I do heaps on it. I use it for abs, back, triceps, biceps, chest just about everything!!! You can use it like a weights bench for most exercises, and as Northern Belle says, you are engaging your core simultaneously whilst working the muscle group of choice.

I went to a few classes to build up my repertoire of exercises and now design my own little workout and do it 3 to 5 times a week at the gym.

They are very strong, most brands will accommodate over 500lbs.

Ilene
03-15-2006, 09:39 AM
At the gym I use the stability ball as a bench now ... I think it's worth it to get one for the variety it can offer in a workout...

kykaree
03-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Oh and coz it's fun!!! My child like brain thinks rolling around with a giant ball is playing not exercise!!!

FeistyRoo
04-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Okay I purchase a stability ball yesterday. Following the box directions it said for someone 5ft 5in 25" ball. Fair enough I am 5ft 5in.

I get the ball home to air it up by the directions. It says fill it 80% let it sit for an hour then fill it 100%.

Well I am thinking that I filled it up correctly but I thought wow, I expected bigger then that for my body.

Weight limit is 250. I'm 220 right now. (I am a bit hesitant too sit on it)

I give it a test drive and wonder should it be all that bouncy? How full does it need to be? Does it need to be a little harder to the touch? Is there enough air in there?

I did some exercised with it today. I did some wall squats! I really like it for wall squats.

I tempt to do some push ups but I failed with that and laughed about it. It was just too funny.

I did some stomach crunches on it. I really like the idea of stomach crunches but I feel goose bumps up and down my back ( the waiting for it to bust or go sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss flat) I did almost 20 crunches but I started to laugh at number 15 for the dog was really staring at me as if I lost my head.

I guess I am looking for the ball being more stable and bigger then that. I feel once I get on the ball it is a little lower to the floor then comfort to do exercises.:eek:

JigglyBits
04-06-2006, 06:25 AM
it really works you out BUT the tricky part is balancing on it. :(

butterfly28
04-06-2006, 09:17 AM
I love my stability ball! I do crunches and push ups every day with it. I was also scared to sit on mine when I first purchased it because I weigh 270 lbs, but mine hasn't popped yet!:o