Exercise! - What should I do?

View Full Version : What should I do?

Libby1972
03-14-2006, 09:59 AM
I am having a fibriod removed on May 1st. I will be unable to work out at all for 2 weeks. I will be unable to lift any weights for 6 weeks. My doctor did tell me that if I am progressing well in my recovery after 2 weeks I can start walking again and using my elliptical, but nothing abdominal and no weights until mid June. I am rather afraid. I don't want to lose my zeal for working out. And I certainly don't want to lose muscle.

I am going to discuss this at length with my general practioner as well as my OBGYN, but I was wondering what I should do once I can walk/use my elliptical. I currently work out 6 days a week. 3 of which I strength train. I do cardio 6 times a week. How can I keep myself "in the game" so to speak to prepare myself for my recovery and lifting again? Any advice, help, etc... would be most appreciated. I have a membership to Bally's and I own a weider crossbow, an elliptical and a stability ball. I also have enough work out videos and dvds to open up a video store. I am just so scared that this will set me back.

Thank you for reading...

srmb60
03-14-2006, 02:19 PM
I can't stand a post with no responses :)
So here goes. Do what the doctor says. Since you're obviously more fit than the average bear, you will progress nicely.
Just about the moment you wake up from the anaesthetic a nurse is gonna drag you out of bed to stand up and take a few steps. You'll be able to meander gently after a couple of days.
There will be signs that you're over-doing things .... pain, bleeding.
I had an ablation last May. The first few days are a blow-out anyway ... you'll just be plain tired! They only gave me enough pain pills for a few days. I took them and slept.
Common sense helps. Listen to your body ... and to your doctor.

northernbelle
03-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Absolutely listen to your doctor. If you rush things after surgery, you will pay the price for years to come.

hellcatjill
03-14-2006, 08:08 PM
For sure, do what the doctor says! You'll have time to get your body back to where it was after the 6 weeks is up. Just don't eat everything in sight when you can't exercise. ;)

Mel
03-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Listen to you doctor and your body. In my experience, most docs aren't used to patients who are serious about their workouts and in good physical condition. I had abdominal surgery 2 years ago and was hoisting myself around with my arms in recovery, much to the nurses' amazement. I started VERY light upperbody workouts on stable surfaces at about 3 1/2 weeks, and was walking and doing the elliptical within 2. BUT, my doctor mistakenly told me to "listen to my body and do what I felt that I could do". My body says go lift heavy metal. He was appalled to find out that I'd been doing squats and deadlifts by 4-5 weeks. I was lucky and didn't have any complications. In retrospect, I should have taken longer to rest.

If you start too early, you will delay healing. Your body needs to direct it's energy towards repairing what has been surgically damaged- it doesn't need extra repair work from heavy workout! Don't use this as an excuse to lay off exercise for months (it sure doesn't sound like you want to do that, tho :dizzy: ), but give your body a chance to heal :hug:

Mel

Libby1972
03-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Thank you everyone for your words of wisdom. As I said in my original post, I am going to consult with both of my physicians before I do any kind of working out. I just wanted to know what you all thought I could do if I am limited to Elliptical and Walking only for 4 weeks. How long? How much distance, etc.... I just don't want to get bored. My doctors won't know what to tell me as far as that goes. I was just asking for advice. Of course I'm going to talk to my doctors. I know how extensive this surgery is, which is why I have been putting it off for almost 2 years. But if I have any chance at another baby, it's mandatory.

Mel, thank you so much for your perspective and advice. I really appreciate it. I know I'll get back on the horse soon enough. I just don't want to lose my zeal is all. You sound like you know exactly where I am coming from.

:)