Exercise! - Top Ten Exercise Myths

View Full Version : Top Ten Exercise Myths

Meg
03-14-2006, 06:28 AM
Repost from the Exercise Forum - by request. ;)

Top Ten Exercise Myths

1. You can exercise away – ‘spot reduce’ - fat deposits.
Unfortunately, we can’t target our problem areas through exercise. Exercise can strengthen specific muscle groups like abs and thighs, but can’t make the fat on top of those muscles go away. Fat will disappear only when we create a calorie deficit by eating less and moving more. Fat tends to be lost from problem areas last of all!

2. Lifting weights will give women big, bulky muscles.
No, most women don’t have the hormones necessary to ‘bulk up’. Weightlifting makes most women smaller and tighter, not bigger and bulkier.

3. You burn more fat by exercising longer at a lower intensity – the myth of the ’fat-burning zone’.
No, we burn a higher percentage of fat as a fuel source when working at lower intensities, but we burn more total calories when exercising at higher intensities. At the end of the day, it’s calories in versus calories out that matters.

4. If the scale goes up a few pounds when you begin exercising, it’s due to adding muscle.
No, it’s generally due to water retention from sore muscles or changed eating habits. You won’t build muscle doing cardio exercise, so starting a biking, walking, or elliptical program won’t result in a muscle gain. Strength-training will add muscle, but it takes considerable time and hard work for a woman to add even a few pounds of muscle. And muscle doesn’t ‘weigh more than fat’ – a pound of muscle is smaller and denser than a pound of fat and takes up about 1/3 the space, but the two weigh the same.

5. If you exercise, fat will turn to muscle and if you stop exercising, muscle will turn to fat.
No, fat and muscle are two separate and distinct kinds of tissue and can’t ‘turn into’ the other. But if you stop exercising, you may gain fat because you’re burning fewer calories!

6. The best time to exercise is in the morning.
No, the best time to exercise is whenever you can do it. There isn’t any proof that exercise done first thing in the morning burns any more calories. Of course, if you exercise in the morning, then you get it done regardless of what unexpected events may happen later in the day. But the most important thing is that we just do it!

7. If you’re not sore after a workout, then you didn't work out hard enough.
No, exercise doesn’t have to hurt in order to be effective or good for you.

8. Wait to start your exercise program until you’ve lost some weight.
No, studies show that the most successful losers and long-term maintainers exercised consistently from the beginning of their weight loss. There are exercises that people of ANY size can do!

9. You can eat anything you want as long as you exercise.
No, the bottom line for weight loss is calories in versus calories out. You can wipe out any calorie deficit that you create through exercise by eating too much. Plus you want to be eating high-quality, nutritious foods to fuel your workouts. What and how much you eat matters a lot!

10. The more exercise, the better.
It is possible to overtrain, which can result in illness or injury. If you’re not sure how much exercise you should be doing, a good guideline is the latest government recommendation of 60 to 90 minutes of moderate to vigorous exercise on most days for weight loss and maintenance. Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005 (http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/html/chapter4.htm).

ellis
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Thank you so much, Meg, darling! :hug:
Such an excellent post... I hope everyone reads it. :)

sweet_pea
03-16-2006, 04:54 AM
i like it too! funny it's obvious that fat and muscle are 2 different types of tissue but i had never thought of it. oh well we all learn something new hehe

purplepansy912
03-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanx for the info... I knew some of them.. but the intensity? you mean I don't have to climb a mountain for two hours?? whew...

martiniforme
11-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks for outlining these points! It's especially helpful for a new starter like moi!

~Mande

SomethingGood
11-07-2006, 05:31 PM
Hello everyone!

I would like to ad something to the first point Ė spot reducing! I agree that you canít loose weight only where you want but I also have seen that you can reshape your body totally. I am not saying this to argue but to encourage women that have week spots!

The example is from friend of mine. She had a big (forgive me, I am not English native) butt and skinny in the upper section. One summer she got a bike and was riding like a mad woman. When you see her today she is even up and down and you canít notice that she has or had big butt. So, I think itís possible in a way!

I am not sure what to do if you upper body is bigger (as mine is, after bicycling like a maniac with a friend!!!!) but I guess there had to be some way to reshape it as we did for our lower part. Bad news was that I was normally shaped before and now I am bigger in the upper part of body. Stupid me! :dizzy:

blackout
11-17-2006, 08:14 AM
The example is from friend of mine. She had a big (forgive me, I am not English native) butt and skinny in the upper section. One summer she got a bike and was riding like a mad woman. When you see her today she is even up and down and you canít notice that she has or had big butt. So, I think itís possible in a way!

Ooh, that gives me hope. Bicycling is one of few exercises I actually really enjoy, but I always worried that my riding like a mad woman would make my lower body even bigger. This is encouraging!

Come to think of it, I was a lot better looking this summer when I rode my bike everywhere. I just didn't realize it until I had to get rid of my bike and got all fat :p

Anyway [to the OP] - excellent post! Some really good things to keep in mind.

Mummy_Tummy
11-20-2006, 06:01 PM
I could be wrong but cycling is a cardio work-out and cardio burns fat, which could explain why your friend's bottom dwindled.:D Did she reshape her bottom or just burn the fat off of it? I can't find a way to write that to make it sound a little nicer!:o ;)

I know cycling sure feels like strength training sometimes and it surely must help with development of leg and bum muscles, though!:cool:

LadyTL
08-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I was under the impression that any excercise will build muscle. For instance if I on on the stairclimber with a higher resistance I will build some muscle in my lower body and get a cardio workout at the same time.

Meg
08-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Lady TL, I'm sure you're strengthening your muscle as well as getting a good cardio workout on the Stairmaster. :) But in order to build muscle, you have to stress your muscles to the point of getting small, microscopic tears in them. Which is a good thing, not a bad thing because when the small tears heal, you build additional muscle. :)

In order to stress the muscle sufficiently, you need to be working with a load that limits you to 12 or maybe 15 reps before the muscle is completely fatigued and needs to rest (like in a set of weight lifting exercises). The time frame is around 60 - 90 seconds until exhaustion. Cardio, unfortunately, doesn't limit us to 15 reps at a time. Most of us can do the exercise for a half hour or so, and so it's good for muscle strengthening but not muscle building.

modkittn
08-18-2007, 01:32 PM
I read an article recently that said the best time to exercise (for your muscles) was early afternoon, since they were loosened up from your morning's regular activities, and most likely not to be worn out (since it isn't the end of the day for you).

That being said, I usually exercise after work, around 6pm. 12 hours after I wake up, and 4-5 hours before I go to bed. Meg's right, whenever I have time is certainly the right time for me! :lol:

want2btrue
09-08-2007, 02:54 PM
yay! that was inspiring, about exercize. i used to think if I didn't work out hard for an hour, it was useless. now, if all i do is a stretching video, i'm inspired and have done Something. this actually limbers me and takes aches and pains away, and it inspires me to exercize more when i can....so i have been! i have gone from fearing exercize lately, to stretching which led to joyous jogging, biking and even tennis.

ImpalaHoarder
09-23-2007, 04:18 PM
I've found that exercising in the afternoon is better, because frankly my endurance isn't that great at five in the morning. But that's more common sense than anything else.

navywife022506
01-29-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm glad that you posted this. Now I know that I don't have to do a million crunches trying to lose the weight in my belly. I just need to walk and do aroebics and then once I lose my weight I can start to tone up.:D

Katalicious
03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
interesting note about the muscle building. i didn't know it was due to tiny tears

m42
03-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Great post!

Especially good after years of being told that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. *wink*

I hope a few of the "guru's" out there read this!

Alex.

melindad
04-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Awsome post!!! :-) Thx for sharing!

gabbnteach
05-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Meg, you are truly my inspiration! Ever since I read your story I have been working out harder and more. I am trying to tighten on my own (and having some success) but am resigned to the fact that I will need surgery to remove excess skin. I'm giving myself another year of working out, though... Thanks for teh info, it is sooo welcome :)

Mango683
06-08-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm new here, and your weight loss success Meg is a HUGE inspiration to me!! I work out three times a week (which is a lot more than I ever have) and sometimes I feel like I should be doing so much more, but I need to realize that it's so much better than nothing at all.

Pieinthesky
06-09-2008, 11:35 AM
I am new to this forum and curious to know if it is better to eat more unhealthy food AND do exercise, or eat really healthy and not do so much? I know in an ideal world you would eat healthy AND exercise but which is the best as the first step to loosing weight?

PhotoChick
06-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Eat healthy.

Ideally both, but eating junk and then exercising is a recipe for disaster. If you exercise and aren't taking in the proper nutrition to support the exercise, then you'll get tired, bloated, and your body will rebel.

Pieinthesky
06-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the tip - just returned from the shops with a load of fresh fruit and veg - my mission begins! I think ill wait a few weeks before i tackle the jogging!:carrot:

smyrah
06-13-2008, 09:57 AM
very good infor. Meg

Rachellia
06-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Repost from the Exercise Forum - by request. ;)

Top Ten Exercise Myths

No, most women donít have the hormones necessary to Ďbulk upí. Weightlifting makes most women smaller and tighter, not bigger and bulkier.

I think I must have a testosterone overload, then. When I started lifting weights two months ago, my biceps put on 2.5 inches and started to look alarmingly ripped, ditto for my back.

francis84
06-30-2008, 11:08 AM
The best time to exercise is in the morning.

We usually go to exercise on morning to start up our day with energy. But just what they said, there is no specific time to say to be best time to exercise.

If you’re not sore after a workout, then you didn't work out hard enough.

For me, when you dont sore out after a workout, it mean you done the workout PROPERLY.

The more exercise, the better.

Like any other things, anything done excessively is bad.

TammySmiley
10-20-2008, 10:22 PM
very informative yet short - easy to remember.

zeinab
01-01-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all the info guys. Does help a great deal!

Jassica
03-01-2009, 05:37 PM
#9. i watched a show, it was talking about football coaches would say eat whatever, you'll just burn it in practices but found tht the players who ate unhealthy had heart attacks etc earlier in life.
So nutrition is key no matter how much exercise you do :)

jendiet
03-14-2009, 02:36 PM
I want to add a few things...Ok...I agree with most..

if you build muscle...muscle needs more energy there will be more mitochondria or powerhouses and they require more atp--or energy which only comes from glucose--broken down food.

about toning...let's say you have flabby dimply arms? When you work out your arms...you are doing two things..increasing your bodies energy burning potential AND you are causing that muscle to first be broken down AND THEN completely renewed. The fibers will be thicker.. you will not get more..but they will thicken..and when they do...your arms will become defined...and the skin won't be all flabby and loose..

therefore if you build muscle you automatically increase your fat burning potential...since muscle is more dense..if you take a 2 ft square of muscle and 2 ft square of fat--muscle will weigh more because it is more densely packed...fat is composed mostly of lightweight spongy material...so if you are looking at the same amt--not the same weight--the muscle material will be heavier...

not only does weight bearing exercise cause your muscles to get thicker it tells your bone to get more dense! Therefore you have increased bone density--they will weigh more..and increased muscle mass.

this being said...if you look at 2 people of roughly the same size...the one with more muscle will most likely weigh more.

idontlikepie7
04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
That sucks about the one where you cant eat anything as long as you exercise... I love my food and flavors i also love to work out and be active,so Ive always just figured"Id rather work out for 3 hours then not be able to have this pizza:jeno:" I guess I cant have my cake and eat it too,lol.:shrug:

Jacque9999
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
That sucks about the one where you cant eat anything as long as you exercise... I love my food and flavors i also love to work out and be active,so Ive always just figured"Id rather work out for 3 hours then not be able to have this pizza:jeno:" I guess I cant have my cake and eat it too,lol.:shrug:

Yeah wouldn't it be great if calories just didn't matter and we could eat whatever we wanted whenever we wanted!!!???

Nachtlicht
05-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh.. Thanks for posting.
Some I did know but a lot I did not.
I was kinda sad to read you can't target fat in a specific area!
:p

MiniMo
05-14-2009, 12:41 AM
#4: it would make sense that people think "muscle weighs more than fat" because it's really an explanation for seeing the scale higher but feeling smaller; if muscle is smaller and denser than fat, then you could have more pounds of muscle and still take up less space than if you had fat.

#6: I heard that the best time to exercise is in the morning because exercise heightens your metabolism and therefore you would have a higher metabolism throughout the day. True/False?

I have also heard that intense cardio over a certain amount (like 30 min) can cause the body to start burning muscle. Has anyone else heard this? It doesn't seem logical.

chicky viv
06-17-2009, 11:21 PM
yup, yup.

Jadebatdog
07-09-2009, 07:49 PM
For awhile I was lifting weights in the morning, just two exercises, four sets, 15 reps. After about a week of doing this every morning I had INCREDIBLE energy for the rest of the day. I would go to work and look out the window wishing I could run laps around the building!!

But there are morning people and there are night people. I thought I was a night person until I realized that I just binge at night, but if I get up early, work out, and eat healthy all day, I can go to bed early and avoid my dangerous hours!

shalvors
07-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Great info!

fjcinzion
08-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks for sharing this information.

CRPEPA
10-23-2009, 09:25 PM
This is great.

gatorgirl6
02-05-2010, 07:18 PM
And muscle doesnít Ďweigh more than fatí Ė a pound of muscle is smaller and denser than a pound of fat and takes up about 1/3 the space, but the two weigh the same.

Muscle does weight more per unit volume than fat. Comparing the weight of 1 pound of fat and 1 pound of muscle is pointless. It's like comparing 1 pound of feathers to 1 pound of iron: they weigh the same, 1 pound! If you measure one cup of fat (not that you would, ew) then it would weigh less than one cup of muscle because muscle DOES weigh more than fat. The point of this myth is not that they have different weights, it is that you won't gain muscle fast enough to show weight gain from exercise that quickly. I just thought you might want to know that they DO NOT weigh the same.

CawScorp
02-16-2010, 10:57 PM
This is a great post- it is amazing how many people stubbornly hold onto some of these myths as truths! Thank you!

buzybee188
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Great post! Love learning new things!!

beagonzalez
03-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Thank You for this it's quite helpful! =D

hhaffner
05-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for posting - answered a question i had

Penultimate
08-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Great post! c:

I think I need further clarification about the "fat-burning zone", though. I've heard about it before, as well as caloris in-calories out, but if the fat-burning zone burns more fat, why would it not matter if you train there or not? I'm confused! D:

MaryOjo
10-13-2010, 05:44 AM
Really great article! I'm so happy i stumbled upon it

Remisgod
10-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Penultimate-
Burning more calories overall will burn more fat calories even if it's a lower percentage of calories coming from fat. For example (and I'm just making up the percentages for illustrative purposes):
You burn 100 calories in the "fat burning zone" with 50% of the calories being burned as far calories. You have burned 50 fat calories.
OR you burn 200 calories at a higher intensity with 30% of the calories coming front fat. You have burned 60 fat calories.
So it is better to work at a higher intensity and you will burn more calories - and more fat calories - overall.

Please feel free to correct my percentages, I don't recall what they really are, I just know it mathematically will work out.

Dreamchild
01-03-2011, 02:44 PM
I truly learned something from this. I guess myths are popular when it comes to losing pounds. I'm not surprised with all the fad diets and changing theories out there that we get our information in a tangle. Thanks for elucidating!

carmencane
03-20-2011, 05:31 PM
I hate exercise! I prefer to keep a very strict diet without exercise than a more permissive one with exercise.

fight2winthis
07-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Great info. I'd like to look at something differently though...

The reason muscle weighs more that fat is just like saying iron weighs more that feathers. Yes a pound of irons weighs the same as a pound of feathers, but you need a truckfull of feathers to match with a little bit of iron. Just as in the case of muscle and fat, you need a whole lot of fat mass to match the weight of muscle. Like if you put a fistful of muscle and a fistful of fat on a balance scale, the muscle will tip the scales.

That said, it explains why a person who is obviously slim and muscular (like bodybuilders) can weigh more that someone of similar height and build but wit much more body fat.

Mashy50
08-04-2011, 08:47 AM
thank you that answers my question about exercising in the morning! I can run at my normal nighttime hours again :)

brillmama2
08-06-2011, 11:30 AM
If riding a bike doesn't built muscle then why do real cyclists have big muscular strong legs????

Unthinkables
08-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Thank you for sharing! I have actually been believing most of those myths.... *facepalm* Surprisingly, those truths made me feel better.

Lisacat
08-12-2011, 06:14 AM
3. You burn more fat by exercising longer at a lower intensity – the myth of the ’fat-burning zone’.
No, we burn a higher percentage of fat as a fuel source when working at lower intensities, but we burn more total calories when exercising at higher intensities. At the end of the day, it’s calories in versus calories out that matters.

This is very confusing for me. If we burn more fat percentage isn't it what we're looking for? I thought calories are food we just ate recently, but I want to burn excess fat!
I'm new here and would appreciate an explanation.

Wishing you all an energetic day!

Lisa

kb11311
08-13-2011, 02:37 PM
sounds good, thanks for the info. :)

Lisacat
08-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm new here, training hard, and doing lot's of reading.
I wonder if I haven't got an answer to my post (2 posts above), cause everyone is on vacation.:?:
Regarding point #3.
Burning more fat, isn't it our goal? I thought calories are food we just ate recently, but since I'm on diet now, I want to burn excess fat from the years I wasn't.
Hope Meg or someone else can reply.

PollifaxFive
08-23-2011, 08:54 PM
This list really clarified some concerns I had about muscle gain. Very helpful!

novangel
01-22-2012, 09:24 PM
No, most women donít have the hormones necessary to Ďbulk upí. Weightlifting makes most women smaller and tighter, not bigger and bulkier.

This is good to know I was worried about this. Thanks. :)

AlmostMe
04-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Like Rachellia... I put on muscle mass easily. But I'm ok with that, thrilled with that really (except in the arms...I have trouble finding jackets that fit because my arms are also my biggest problem fat area).

But I know I am an exception. Not the rule.

FattyFatFat
05-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Great read. Not sure if I can FULLY agree on everything said without justifiable proof, as many weight trainers and fitness instructors have said differently, etc. But I can agree with 95% or more of what was said easily! Some things do work differently for other people though, so no telling. Brilliant post nonetheless!

parker lee
05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
This was extremely helpful, I can't wait to apply what I've learned to my fitness plan

bigmike7801
07-07-2012, 01:14 PM
60-90 minutes?!?! Crap, I need to step it up a bit!

brvsfan99
07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Wow great forum and back and forth. Thanks for the post Meg. :D

Psyence
10-17-2012, 04:40 AM
Thank you so much for posting this - I've believed in a lot of those myths for a long time now!