Old 03-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #1  

Default Attention walkers (step counters)

Walking and counting steps is my first choice of exercise. I noticed in the thread "have to start walking....need advice" that there are many people here who count steps. Would anyone be interesting in posting their daily steps? I know there is an exercise thread on 3FC but I am comfortable here at the 100lb club.
We could each have a daily goal and post accordingly. I take about 2380 steps per mile. For me to reach my daily goal of 5 miles I need to take about 12000 steps.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:48 AM   #2  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Good morning, JMac! I'm a step counter!

As you mentioned, a few of us have been posting our steps under Exercise --> March of the Chicks A Challenge. We're trying to hit 1,000,000! No deadline, we'll get there when we get there. Everyone is welcome to join us on our collaborative effort!

I haven't tallied by the mile yet, I do mostly just steps.

Sure, I'd love to join you here, as well! What would you like to do? 100 miles by April Fool's Day? I bet we can do it if we all walk together!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #3  

Lena, at this point there does not seem to be much interest in starting a step counting challenge/log. I know I do better at counting my steps when I have to record them somewhere other than the journal I keep. Maybe for now we could keep in touch via PM's
Old 03-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #4  
embrace change

S/C/G: 268/257/120

i would like to learn about counting steps. i know your supose to get 10,000 a day, thats close to 5 miles. i just dont know what you use to keep count is there a machine for this? if anyone could send me some advice id like to learn more , thanks alot.

lea
leandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #5  

I wear a $3.99 pedometer from Wal-Mart on the waste band of my jeans, pants or underwear. If you do an internet search on "counting steps" or "walking to lose weight" you should find lots of information. There must me information in the exercise thead in TFC too.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #6  
embrace change

S/C/G: 268/257/120

thank you very much, i will have to look into the pedometers, i had one years ago and could never get the stride set correctly, and sometimes it didnt register a step if you were not really bouncing when you walked. i dont want to spend alot but brookstone sells them wonder if they are a better quality or not. i think thats my best bet is to do that, i have a dog so have to walk anyway.
leandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #7  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I love walking (and biking), which is just as well since I don't have a vehicle. I wear my pedometer most days, and usually get in around 10,000 steps each day. Yesterday, I was just shy of 18,000. I measure the distance in the summer, but the snow in winter changes stride length too much for that to be reliable.
I wish everyone would clear their sidewalks!

I have a Yamax DIGI-WALKER. It's extremely accurate--mine undercounts one or two steps in every hundred. It's not the cheapest on the market though....
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote