LA Weight Loss - Birth Control Pill RANT!

View Full Version : Birth Control Pill RANT!

slimmerKim
03-13-2006, 12:08 AM
Bear with me b/c I feel like I need a book like "BCPs for dummies" - I've was on BCPs when I first met DH and got married, but then have been off of them for 7 yrs and now back on - mainly to help with really heavy AF.

Anyway- the first month I had a lot of breakthrough bleeding - was told it was normal. Great - like having AF twice that month (at least it was very light).

So I'm on to my 2nd pack, and I forget ONE pill on Friday night, and by Saturday night, AF arrives - is this real AF or just more breakthrough bleeding? I took the next pill Sat night and again tonight - but I didn't know if I should just stop and let it be a real AF, then start up again, or WHAT? So now I have about 1 1/2 weeks of pills left before the scheduled AF starts.

I don't really understand BCPs and how they work with the hormones and everything and how AF can start almost immediately after one missed pill. Anyone have any insight?

marbear
03-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Breakthrough bleeding is a blessing considering your slipup could have landed you expecting a :bb: out of the blue.

All joking aside, I hate the darned things too and can't be on them...they make me mean(er).

cagirlygirl
03-13-2006, 01:36 AM
Keep goin'! ...At least that's the advice I got from my doctor if I missed a pill.
I'd definitely suggest calling your doctor to make sure everything's cool, but it's probably just your body getting used to them. And if it keeps being annoying you can always ask to switch pills. There are a zillion kinds and they all have different effects.

Good luck!

Mummy_Tummy
03-13-2006, 06:03 AM
As long as it's regular BCP and not the mini-pill - If you forget one pill, then you can double up and take two the next day to get caught up and still should be safe. However, if you miss more than one, you can still double up (maybe 2 days of two pills) but the results aren't so safe. You might want to use alternative protection for a month. If you miss more than three days, best just chuck the pack and start over again after AF. I'm not a doctor or nurse and haven't used oral contraception in a long time but that's how I remember it. I'd ask your doctor just to be sure.

mommieof2
03-13-2006, 09:00 AM
You might also try a different type of BC.....like the NuvaRing. I never had any break through and I also didn't have to remember to take a pill everyday. There are all types of BC that you could look into. I don't like the way the BCP makes me act....I get real mean, so we tried something new. Also, the IUD is great too. Good Luck.

angelica1674
03-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I have an IUD an I love it.Dont have to worry about it for 5 years. Just have to have it checked at my yearly exam and I can have it removed anytime before the 5 years if I want to have another baby.The depo shot did really good for me the first time and I loved it(was on it about 2 years) but the second time(6 months) I had a side effect of no sex drive!awful! But it affects everyone different.I dont care for BC pills. I can barely remeber my vitamin everyday.

shennie_97
03-13-2006, 11:27 AM
You might also try a different type of BC.....like the NuvaRing. I never had any break through and I also didn't have to remember to take a pill everyday. There are all types of BC that you could look into. I don't like the way the BCP makes me act....I get real mean, so we tried something new. Also, the IUD is great too. Good Luck.

Nuvaring is extremely easy to use and remember, and the "same hormones" as the BC pills...at least that is what my dr. said

marbear
03-13-2006, 11:44 AM
If you are considering the patch, it isn't considered effective past the weight of 192 according to my doctor. I was only 3 lbs under that weight when it was suggested to me, and I was like "HECK NO." 3 lbs between me and a big surprise...I'll use something else. I'm considering the IUD if I can't make DH get a vasectomy. I've just decided there is no way I am having my tubes tied when I get my next c section because nobody EVER wants another baby when they are about to have a new one...you're too focused on the one you're having to think that far ahead. I'd hate to back myself into a corner in case I came down with a case of baby fever. I'm also never going to go under anasthesia if I can help it, so that makes doing it later OUT.

Repo girl
03-13-2006, 12:00 PM
IUD all the way baby!!! So easy, nothing to remember, no hormones. Mary, pills make me mean(er) too. I know just what you are saying.

deetsmom
03-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Kim, same thing happens to me. In fact, I JUST stopped AF for the last THREE WEEKS! I missed one too by about 6 hrs and then had spotting for two weeks until regular AF came last week. Nightmare:( Also, my drs office said to be sure to use back up protection for that month, so Id advise the same to you unless you want a fourth, LOL!!!

slimmerKim
03-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks gals - the reason I decided to take the pill was to make AF lighter. And after three packs just to get used to them, I can take them non-stop and only have 3-4 AF a year -well, I guess unless I forget.

Does an IUD or the nuvaring, etc.... help with heavy AF - that's my main goal here - obviously to prevent pg, but if I happened to get pg, it wouldn't be the end of the world. thanks for you help!

Oh and on the subject of LAWL - I'm going back in to the center after THREE weeks off - OMG, I can't imagine the damage :(

deetsmom
03-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Good luck at COD:) I just came back with my Maintennance book, its really cool!

Boo'sMom
03-13-2006, 02:02 PM
AAAHHHHH...Maintenance--you are an inspiration

MetalChic
03-13-2006, 03:36 PM
ok, I'm lost... AF?

Chklithunder
03-13-2006, 03:38 PM
What's up Metal, how are you? AF = Aunt Flo.

MetalChic
03-13-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm ok, but I feel really stupid now...:dizzy:

MetalChic
03-13-2006, 03:50 PM
The ob/gyn put my on Seasonale and I only have my period every 10 weeks now. I take pills for 9 weeks and I'm off for a week. He put me on it to try to control my mentrual migraines.

Repo girl
03-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Actually, since getting my IUD, the flow is heavier. The only downside. Good to see you Karen!

midwife
03-13-2006, 04:09 PM
There are 2 kinds of IUDs available in the US.

1) THe Mirena is good for 5 years. It has progesterone in it which suppresses cycles. Spotting is normal for the first several months, but the longer it is in the less most women bleed. The newest info is that this method is MORE effective than a tubal ligation (getting your tubes tied).

2) The Paragard is made out of copper and is good for ten years (who are we kidding...it is probably just fine longer than that, but that's what the company says). No hormones. You cycle regularly (whatever your "regular" is)but many women report heavier crampier periods...although ibuprofen helps quite a bit.

The Nuvaring has similar hormones to most standard birth control pills. An off-label use is to wear one continuously (That is for about 30 days--each ring contains about 32 days of hormone--and then replace it with a new one, skipping the hormone free week and thus your menses. Many women suppress their cycles this way. Like with the pill Seasonale. But it is not marketed this way (yet!)

Ortho Evra Patch is similar to most birth control pills. Like pills and the Nuvaring, you can skip the hormone free week and go into continuous cycling.

Obviously, your mileage may vary and I encourage you to speak with your gyn provider. Certified nurse midwives and nurse practitioners prescribe more birth control in the US than physicians do. :carrot: Find one near you today!:lol:

juliemarie
03-13-2006, 04:29 PM
I'm ok, but I feel really stupid now...:dizzy:

Don't feel stupid. I've been reading this thread all morning and it took me hours to figure it out;)

30lbsby22
03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
I am on seasonale and it is amazing. I have been on it for over a year. I will admit the first couple packs were interesting. The first time I was on it I felt like I was prego. And I kept getting cravings. All I wanted morning, noon and night was Mexican food. I will admit it was a big factor in my weight gain. But I think had I known the side effects I would have been more careful. The first few packs I couldnt make it through the 12 weeks. I would usually get AF around the 8th week. But I was told that was normal. By the 3 pack *9 months later* I was making it through 12 weeks. I love this pill and hope I dont have to change. Of course every now and then I will get a little break through bleeding which is totally normal. But I can also go 2 or 3 days without taking it before I get some break through. I know thats not safe but we all miss a day every now and then.

MetalChic
03-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Slimmerkim: I think what everyone here is trying to tell you is that everyone is different and there are many different options for birth control. You just need to sit down with your doctor and find the right one for you!

Good Luck!

deetsmom
03-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Funny we're ranting on this...I always am up the week AFTER my period and this month it seems the SECOND I put the first two pills in my mouth, I AM UP TWO POUNDS! I swear, I have been eating better than ever (I havent even eaten the extra OP foods I was supposed to have gained into the program for the past week) and now this. It never ends. Its finally nice enough for us to walk outside (my friend and I go on a really hilly trail with my jogger while the other kids are in school, like 1+ hrs a few times per week) and I am going to start today, god only knows what the scale will torture me with tomorrow for WI...maybe Ill just go on Friday instead...

Linds81
03-19-2006, 12:37 PM
If you are considering the patch, it isn't considered effective past the weight of 192 according to my doctor. I was only 3 lbs under that weight when it was suggested to me, and I was like "HECK NO." 3 lbs between me and a big surprise...I'll use something else. I'm considering the IUD if I can't make DH get a vasectomy.

Wow, I didn't know this. I've been on the patch for 2 years, and have not had a problem with it... lol no little ones running around. I've been well over 192 lbs since being on the patch, and I was never warned about this.

I guess I'll be bringing this up with my dr when I see her the week.

I love being on the patch. I was really bad with the pill because I was incosistent with when I took it. Maybe, as a result of this, I stopped getting my periods, which was pretty scary. I've had no problems with this since the patch, and I'm like clockwork now. I'm a big fan of the patch!

austinmom
05-05-2006, 01:24 PM
I have a copper iud... Have had it for 7 mths, first month sucked... 2,3,4 mth great 5 mth, was doubled over in pain. My doc said it was just "an anomaly."
Been great since then, and I have to admit that not having to worry about taking a pill or getting a shot is a big turn on for me!
As far as Depo goes, I was on it for 2 years. No one ever warned me about how moody it could make you, I gained 20 lbs on it, and had no sex drive.
Prob TMI, just a warning.
Good luck with what you choose!
Amber

Repo girl
05-05-2006, 01:28 PM
No sex drive? How do we slip these shots to men? Think they would notice if we jabbed them in the butt with a shot needle while they were sleeping? You could always blame it on a spider or big mosquito, right?

hkychik
05-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Shennie!!!!!! Welcome back, Girl!

stiesta
05-05-2006, 02:55 PM
Shennie!!!!!! Welcome back, Girl!

I thought the same thing, but the date of her post was actually 3/13...sad...where is our old friend?

hkychik
05-05-2006, 03:01 PM
ohhhhh good catch! I guess I blew that one in my excitment to see Shennie's name up there!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee - Wherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre arrrrrrrrrrrrre youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?