LA Weight Loss - Bowel movement (excuse me for the tittle)

rad7775
03-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Hello:
I have my doubts to post this thread but we are all adults and I know the tittle of the thread is kind of weird but everybody goes to the bathroom and we all do what we gotta do(you know what I mean). Since I started on the diet I don't go so frequently to the bathroom and I know is because we are not eating that much like before. I know the center have a tea to help you stimulate and eat high fiber veggies helps too, but I would like to know if there's another thing that we can use that doesn't affect in the diet.

angelica1674
03-12-2006, 12:06 PM
I had that problem too. Actually I still do. Others on here have said to use baked apples. I tried that and it didnt help me.I know there is other things they have told me but cant think of them right this moment. For me, walking helps move things along.Oh and tuna helps me. No clue why but it does.

rad7775
03-12-2006, 12:18 PM
After I exercise I allways go to the bathroom, but is been two days (excuse me for been so specific) and I'm worry because that never happen to me before. I am going to drink some coffee to see if it helps.

angelica1674
03-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Coffee used to help me but I quit drinking it(couldnt add a ton of sugar and cream:) )when i started LAWL.Maybe try some prune juice if you can stand to drink it. Dried prunes are not too bad but the juice is just yuck!!

ConnorsMum
03-12-2006, 12:42 PM
I had that problem at the beginning too. I talked to my COD, they said that you can hold up to 4 pounds in your bowels! Scary!! I took laxatives a couple times, but that wasn't the most comfortable solution :o I was told to try prunes. They definitely work, but I didn't want to eat prunes every day. I have been eating fresh berries for my fruits and haven't had a problem since. Strawberries seem to be the best for it.

I took some fish oil vitamins (can't remember the name of them) that I got from the COD. BIG waste of money! They didn't do anything for me but empty some money out of my wallet.

rad7775
03-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Connorsmum:
I believe that the name of the vitamins are EFA and you are 100% right. I been drinking them and they are just a waste of money, I am not going to buy them anymore...I am going to tell DH to pick some prunes and strawberries when he come back from work. Thank You :)

happydaisy
03-12-2006, 01:00 PM
I used to work on a postpartum unit and we made this gross stuff called "witches brew" to help people go. It was prune juice, a little oj and sprite mixed together and warmed up. Exercise and caffeine can also stimulate you....

rad7775
03-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks happydaisy If I don't go today I will try your "witches brew" but It sound so scary to drink... Thanks!

marbear
03-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Workout, water, eating higher fiber choices every day, making sure to get your fats in...those are the things off the top of my head. Everybody is different, though. I'm on this diet AND taking iron pills, so you know I'm happy any time I can go :lol: I take colace (stool softener) every day b/c of the iron pills. It is safe to take even when you are pregnant. It doesn't contain ANY stimulants, but it just has some kind of stuff in it that mixes with the waste and makes it easier to pass.

we've had this conversation so many times on this board, so don't feel bad about asking!
Mary

ksdiogi
03-12-2006, 04:15 PM
I go MUCH better when I have fresh spinach (as a salad) for lunch and/or dinner. Two cups MOVES me every morning after breakfast. Also, red meat affects me and I'm not as MOVED in the mornings. :-)

rad7775
03-12-2006, 11:31 PM
MARY AND KSDIOGI:
Thank you!!

tobetheman
03-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Best advice, take in Benefiber or Metamucil. It won't affect ur diet cause even if it has some calories it should be very very low. There are also fiber tablets which can be chewed on like candy.

rad7775
03-13-2006, 12:06 AM
tobetheman:
I thought on buying metamucil but I was scared on drinking them because Idon't want to affect the diet, also Ihave Herb lax from Shaklee but I don't know if Ican use them. Anyway thanks for the advice I really appreciated it!!

slimmerKim
03-13-2006, 01:03 AM
I was just diagnosed with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) last week. I have been on LAWL for about 8 mos and will start stabilization this week. I know the diet has been a factor, but it also runs in my family and after having 3 kids, the insides aren't working to their potential.

Anyway - other than the prescription that I was given, I was also told to take Metamucil (I can take capsule form, and I bought some w/ extra calcium) - my dr prefers this to the other kinds like FiberOne or Benefiber, just due to the phyllius fiber, or something like that. I was also told to take Acidopholus everyday - or eat yogurt. So those things you can get OTC and will NOT affect your diet at all. Dr also said to drink at least 64 oz of water a day and exercise. I've been doing that for awhile, and it hasn't helped, but I can see how it would help someone not doing it to begin with.

I'm also taking Zelnorm (prescription) - dr said to take it for about a month and see how it works and maybe that will be enough to get my intestinal tract healthy and moving on its own.

marbear
03-13-2006, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I have seen the new activia yogurt which helps regulate your intestines in 2 wks but I didn't check to see if it was lowfat or sugar free.

pseudomargot
03-13-2006, 09:41 AM
rad,

In Jerry Seinfeld's first book he wrote about how every time he goes to a book store he has to go to the bathroom. My husband and I found this to be so very funny since we both found it to be so very true.

Of course you don't want to run to the book store every morning, but for some ridiculous reason (yes, I warned you it was absurd), if I get on the computer when I get up in the morning and start doing some searches etc, and surf, it instantly has a laxative effect. No logic, but it works. I always bring my laptop on vacations and never have a problem. I too have IBS, but don't take any of the meds so long as I have my computer around. :-)

Good luck.

Repo girl
03-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Milca, I am suprised by how many of us have IBS! So do I. Coffee every morning helps me, as does exercise and the EFA tablets from the center. I CANNOT tolerate soda pop, anytime, ever. FYI, my center said that if you use metamucil or one of those, you have to count it as a starch. Not that I would....

cindy63
03-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Does anyone know exactly how many grams of fiber a person has to intake in order to make these pipes work correctly. I exercise, drink water, and eat lots of fiber - and I still have to take Zelnorm. Maybe I still am not getting enough fiber, anybody know?

emmysmom
03-13-2006, 11:01 AM
I take 2 flax oil capsules per day which helps alot (made by Barlean's). Also, coffee, bananas, and apples help me.

PURPLEPIRATE99
03-13-2006, 11:18 AM
Katie - What does the EFA consist of - maybe I should try to get a substitute?

cindy63
03-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Thanks Tina, apparently combinations of fiberous foods are not helping me, I am going to try to find the flax oil capsules you mentioned.

Chklithunder
03-13-2006, 11:34 AM
About Activia - my DBGF took it and said she could really see a difference in how her system felt. I looked up the nutritional info and sadly, it is not OP. It contains sugar and twice the cals of SF/LF yogurt.

Milca - Strong hot coffee and a banana for breakfast helps me go regularly. I have the tea from the center and it does help, but then some other ladies on this board have found an alternative called Smooth Move tea, which they say really helps. I think Shennie and maybe someone else has used it?

marbear
03-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Well, if it goes over well you know they are going to have to make a plain version of activia at least.

Star used to use the diet chinese slim tea.

Holding my pee helps me go sometimes...it sounds weird, but my sister has the same issue and she thinks the bladder must be putting too much pressure on the colon so it empties. It's not that I am sitting there purposely holding my pee so I can go, but sometimes I am not in a good area or just want to do a few more things before I go.

Mary, the pee-dancer

Chklithunder
03-13-2006, 11:52 AM
Mary, the pee-dancer

:rofl: Too funny. :dancer:

rad7775
03-13-2006, 11:59 AM
Thank you girls for all your good advices...:thanks:
Katie: I was going to buy the metamucil today, thanks for posting that it does counts in the diet. I have the EFA, I don't feel that It have works for me.
Carmen:Yesterday I tried the bananas and coffee and that help me. Tomorrow I am going to buy the tea from LAWL just to have it in the house in case that I might need it again.
Pseudomargot:
My DH CAN'T use the bathroom if he don't have a magazine, a book or something to read. He said that help him relax.:lol:

PURPLEPIRATE99
03-13-2006, 12:11 PM
You girls are a hoot - Mary the pee dancer!!!

Repo girl
03-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Heather- Thye are a combo of flax seed, fish oil, and others. I bought one at the health food store call Essential Fatty Acids once for about $14.00. They also make my hair really shiny.

angelica1674
03-13-2006, 12:35 PM
I think I am going to try the flax oil capsules to see if it makes me more regular.Thanks for the info:)

pseudomargot
03-13-2006, 03:54 PM
You guys are all so funny. Am surprised that bananas work. i always thought that since they are part of the BRAT diet - (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast/Tea) that you use when you have the stomach flu, that it was a food that helped bind you, not the reverse! Who knew!

Rad, hadn't thought about the fact that lots of people like to read the newspaper or magazines in the loo.

Mary, I could never be a pee dancer. I have the smallest bladder in the world and i'd go nuts if i had to hold it in. thank goodness for computers and book stores!!!

marbear
03-13-2006, 03:58 PM
I actually had to have urethral dilation when I was younger and my mother made the doctor tell me to pee and poo when I needed to rather than holding it. I hated peeing b/c it took too much time. I hated the other b/c I was afraid of wiping. He is orig from India, so just picture him saying "you need to pee-pee and boo-boo when you have to go, and eat your vegetables." My bil is a nurse practitioner for that very doctor now, so I always do that impression for my BIL and SIL and they eat it up.

Boo'sMom
03-13-2006, 04:09 PM
HeatherPP--the Essential Fatty Acids bottle from LAWL shows: Proprietary Blend (1000 mg) of Marine Lipid Concentrate, Flax Oil, Safflower Oil, Borage Oil then Total Omega-3 & 6 Fatty Acids .50g.

I may add the flax oil capsules to my routine--could use the help. I take benefiber tablets almost nightly.

pinkflamingo68
03-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Connorsmom-

Do you eat breakfast cereal?? When I have THE NOT GOING PROBLEM, Kashi's Good Friends flushes it right out!! Seriously, in several hours! One serving (counts as a starch- plus dailry w/milk or you can just munch on it) IT HAS 50% OF YOUR FIBER ALLOWANCE. I tried the Benefiber pills - they have ALOT of sugar and calories - and you have to eat alot of them...didn't work for me. I think, while we do eat alot of fruit and veg OP, the servings are small enough that we need some help. That Kashi cereal is gREAT!!!!!

AH