Old 03-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #1  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Default Picking ripe fruit

Because of the recent discussion in Lena's thread about apples, I decided to do a bit of research to find out how to tell when fruit is ripe! I found this great article that I think everyone will find useful.

Quote:
Blueberries
* When buying fresh blueberries look for firm, dry fruit that is smooth and relatively free of stems and leaves.
* While size is not an indicator of maturity, color is. Berries should be deep purple-blue to blue-black in color.
* Reddish berries aren't ripe, although they may be used in cooking.
* Avoid containers of berries with juice stains, which may be a sign that the berries are crushed and possibly moldy.
* Soft, watery fruit means that berries are overripe, while wrinkled fruit means they have been stored too long.
* Fresh berries should be stored covered, in the refrigerator.
* Wash just before using and use within 6 days of purchase.

Cantaloupe

* Look for a nice rounded shape.
* Golden colored melons are at the peak of ripeness.
* Green melons will ripen at room temperature in a couple of days.
* Choose a cantaloupe with evenly distributed "netting" or the markings on the fruit’s surface.
* A ripe cantaloupe should give off a mild melon aroma.

Honeydew Melon

* A ripe honeydew has a creamy yellow rind that’s slightly soft.
* If your melon is completely ripe, hold at room temperature for 2-4 days before cutting
* Like the cantaloupe, ripe fruit will give off a mild sweet melon aroma.

Kiwi Fruit

* Ripe fruit should give to gentle pressure but not be overly mushy.
* Look for uniform brown color and fuzzy skin.
* Juicy fruit will feel heavy for its size.

Mango

* Ripe fruit can range from green or green with red and/or orange in color.
* Ripe mangos will yield to gentle pressure but should not be overly mushy.
* Look for smooth unblemished skin.
* Fruit that feels heavy for its size will be most juicy.
* Mangos continue to ripen after picking. Store at room temperature for 2-5 days to ripen.

Papayas

* Ripe papayas can range in color from yellow-green to yellow-orange.
* Look for smooth unblemished skin
* Papayas are harvested unripe and green; however they will ripen in 3-5 days at room temperature.
* Ripe papayas will keep refrigerated for about a week.

Peaches/Nectarines/Plums

* Look for fruit that feels heavy for its size, a sign of juiciness.
* Look for smooth unblemished skin.
* Fruit will continue to ripen after it’s picked. Speed along the ripening process by storing at room temperature in a brown paper bag for a day or two.
* Ripe fruit should be soft enough to yield to the touch, but not overly mushy.
* Ripe fruit will give off a delicate sweet aroma.

Pineapple

* The most important indicator of a ripe pineapple is scent. Pick up a pineapple, turn it over and smell the bottom – if it has a mild, sweet aroma of pineapple, you have a ripe fruit. The less scent, the less ripe the pineapple. If the scent is overpowering, the fruit may even be too ripe and won’t keep long.
* Pineapples do not ripen after they are picked, so it’s important to choose a good one, because your stuck with it in that stage of ripeness, which ill affect the intensity and sweetness of the fruit. Pineapples will soften and lighten in color after picking, but not ripen.
* Dark spots on the bottom of the pineapple are an indication of an overly ripe fruit that’s starting to go bad.
* Keep in mind that a lot of the fruit is wasted in the pineapple because of the peeling process. The larger the pineapple, the larger the portion of edible fruit.

Raspberries/Blackberries

* Avoid containers of berries with juice stains, which may be a sign that the berries are crushed and possibly moldy.
* Soft, watery fruit means that berries are overripe, while wrinkled fruit means they have been stored too long.
* Fresh berries should be stored covered, in the refrigerator.
* Wash just before using and use within 1-3 days of purchase.

Strawberries

* When buying, look for plump, bright red, fully ripe berries.
* The top leaves should be attached, green and fresh looking.
* The size of the strawberry is not important. All strawberries, large and small, have the potential to be equally sweet and juicy.
* Sort and remove any bruised or damaged berries as soon as possible, being in contact with spoiled fruit can cause good fruit to go bad quicker.
* Place the berries in cool, well ventilated containers (32 to 40°F / 0 to 5°C). The moisture content of fresh strawberries is high, so store uncovered or loosely covered.
* Hull strawberries and rinse gently right before serving. Careful storing and handling will help the berries maintain maximum flavor, color and texture.
* To keep strawberries from absorbing large quantities of water, hull after washing. A salad spinner works well for removing excess water from berries.

Watermelon

* Watermelon will not ripen after it’s cut, so it’s important to choose carefully.
* Look for firm watermelons with a dull outer skin.
* The bottom of the melon should be pale green to pale yellow or even beginning to turn white.
* When you thump the watermelon, it should give a hollow sign. This favorite testing method isn’t always completely accurate however, as sometimes an overly ripe melon will also sound hollow.
* If you’re buying sliced watermelon, look for a bright, deeply colored pink to red flesh.
* A lot of fibers or white streaks in a cut piece of watermelon indicate an over ripe, older fruit.
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #2  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

That's fantastic, Lydia! Thank you so much!

I knew how to pick cantaloupe (glad to see I was doing it right!) but the rest I was pretty much clueless on. One more point on cantaloupe: if you press on the stem end, it should have a little give.

Want to know something terrible? I've never even tasted some of these fruits (kiwi, mango, papaya... but I do know what they look like ). Armed with this info, I may even break out of my comfort zone enough to give some of them a try!

I'm going to print this out for reference! Thanks again!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Thanks a lot! It verified what I had learned earlier about pineapple picking -- go for the scent from the bottom!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #4  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Lena: I've tasted all these fruits and I must say that they're all pretty yummy... in certain applications. I hate fresh papaya (I developed a bad taste for them after I got a bad one that tasted the same as stinky feet smell. ICK!) but I love it dried. I don't really like mango, but I really enjoy mango juice and smoothies. Kiwi... wow, Lena... you don't know what you're missing out on. No matter how you have it, kiwi-fruit is absolutely one of my favorite fruits ever. A pain to prepare, but I guess that keeps you from eating too many

wyllenn: Glad I could help
Old 03-12-2006, 09:57 AM   #5  
with my mind on my monkey

Some mangoes are heavenly - the texture is buttery and creamy. Some of them taste like pine! Is this because they're unripe? I'm too afraid to buy them after eating a dud...
HungryMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #6  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

((sniffle)) My beautiful, ripe cantaloupe died. ((sniffle, cry))

That's the downside of fruit. If you don't get to it quickly, it'll turn on you. I bought that cantaloupe on Thursday, when it was probably at its peak. Its aroma filled the kitchen! I was going to have it this afternoon, but I checked it this morning and... yuck. Now, it's garbage .

Oh well, another opportunity to rack up some walking steps tromping around the grocery store this afternoon! Might even pick up a kiwi if they have them!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #7  
Calorie-Counting Diva

I found another great website with tips on storage of your nice fruits! http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC3483.htm
Old 03-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #8