Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #1  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Default Calling all SWIMMERS!

I’m stuck in a bit of a rut here. I try to hit the pool for at least 2 1hr swims a week, but since I don’t have a coach running practice and yelling at me from the deck like I did in high school, I just swim the same thing over and over. I don’t remember a lot of the drills we used to do, and I haven’t found any workouts on line that I can decipher what with all the shorthand people use (s.k.i.p? swim kick i? pull)?

Anyway, if someone has any ideas I’d be happy to hear them.

Thanks!
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 04:03 AM   #2  

http://www.swim4fitness.com/

I've used this, they have four different workouts depending on what you are looking for.

I have two sorts of swim days. Stress free relaxation days where I just do what I want, and then more structured sessions where I do so many lengths of different strokes in different combinations, and have some time goals.

I adore swimming, it's my favourite exercise and I'd rather be doing that than nearly anything else in the world!!! I love it more than eating!!!

I also love that my swimsuit is a US14 and not a US24 which is what I started in!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:56 AM   #3  

Default Swim workouts

It's awesome that you're hitting the pool. It's an awesome way to get some exercise. I used to be a lifeguard/instructor/coach and one thing that I recommend is alternating regular laps with sprints. Here are a few websites that you might find useful. Good luck!

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/...mWorkouts.html
http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/swim-cgi/

There are a few more out there that have some good ideas in them too. If all else fails, ask a lifeguard if they have any workout sheets, or join a speed swim club.
klynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:52 PM   #4  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Thanks for the links! I really should do a little sprint work, I tend to slog along at "medium" speed most of the time. Does anyone know if there are heart rate monitors that are good for use in the pool. I do try and take my HR once in a while, but I don't like interrupting my workout to find my pulse and watch the clock.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #5  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

SKIPS = swim, kick, IM (individual medley, butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, freestyle), pull, and swim. I love SKIPS <3
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #6