Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 06:22 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Smile Chit Chat and Weight Loss #170

Hello and WELOME to the Jaded Ladies thread to anyone reading this!

We are a supportive and caring bunch of ladies who share our journey with weight loss, as well as our everyday lives. So feel free to pull up a chair and join us.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

Alrighty then.........

Sue - we didn't need much new furniture. Just for the guest room, and a new bed for Katie. I just got a super long dining room set right before Christmas. That thing makes out to 96"!! I love wood floors, but they do tend to be cold, and since I couldn't afford them anyway, we went with a vinyl that won't show doggy paw prints too bad, lol. And an allover brownish-beige carpet in the living room and bedrooms. Too many choices!!

Angie - I did take some Zicam, and think it nipped the cold in the bud! What the heck is Jyske and do I need one/some??? I hope you're getting enough rest. Yes, we DO know you pretty well. I feel so close to all you women, and you're sort of like sisters to me.

Ginny - you and I have something else in common. I took care of Neal's mom who had Alzheimer's, and she died 2 years ago at age 93. All the Jaded Ladies got me through that, and I don't know what I'd have done without them. If you need us, we'll be here, ok?

Marti - hope you're having a good weekend so far. Is this your weekend for Jhanai?

Susan - hope you get lots of support $$$ and that Mike keeps his job for awhile this time. Hey, we can dream, right? Btw, I too just love snow! Head Start kids here get labeled as "poor" kids. Which slants some future teachers notions of the child. Sad, but true.

Cristi - hey, I'm gonna go wash my dryer filter as soon as I'm done here! Thanks for the head's up on that!

Went with Mary and all 3 kids to Walmart today. They are all better, and fever-free. While there, I noticed all the people hacking and coughing, and I hope they didn't catch something else!

I need some advice - our sofa needs cleaned before we move it. Should I buy or rent a steam machine, or have it done professionally?

Have a good weekend ladies.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #3  
kitty Momo

Professionally cleaned jmho

Head start for a family of 4 is 19,000 (gross) a year. I make 10/15000 over that a year. Gaby has a speech problem though. I really can't afford this 550 to 700 a month in day care. whaaa, whaaa......maybe I will call CSD and see if a check has been issued?? that might be fun - lol.......I also get my state refund back whopping $77 ....

best get,,,,,,,if I am not there by 5 pm , they will charge me an extra $5!!
Old 03-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #4  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Happy Friday! It was cool here today, but no rain at least. I got to walk 2 miles and think I will get back into the swing of that rather quickly. Felt good.
It was a Mt. Washmore day.
I fixed slaw and cleaned up a whole bag full of celery and carrots for us to snack on. Made chicken breasts and stir fry veggies for dinner and it was yummy. Tomorrow I am fixing a pot of mexican chicken soup.
DH went to the lot and cut up brush and small trees this afternoon. I need to get a pair of boots before I go out and help him.

Jane- I am trying to sell a dining room suite with a table like that. It has 6 chairs, but when I put in the 2 leaves it will seat 12. Also has a china cabinet with lighted, glassed shelves. I won't have room for it in the new house. It actually was too big to even extend in this house. I am also going to sell a queen sized bedroom suite which has a nightstand, chest and a dresser w/ mirror. And we hope the new owners will want to keep the pool table. The new house has 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, and the great room, living room, and dining area are all open. I am losing a bedroom, rec room and formal dining room. Gaining a workshop for DH.
I have never had a sofa professionally cleaned. So I am no help.
Question: Living right there where your new house is being built, is it making you crazy? DH and I were at the work site almost every day when this house was being built and it was nerve wracking! I don't want to do that again...would rather stay away, but I know DH won't.

Happy week-end to everyone!
Old 03-10-2006, 10:14 PM   #5  
Nancy

Susan:
Head Start has traditionally set aside 10% of their enrollment for kids with special needs. Perhaps you can get your daughter in that way. I'm not sure where you live, but there are places where you can get low-cost/sliding scale speech therapy.

My father-in-law and his wife have left after a blessedly calm visit. Yay. Now life can return to normal for a while. Bad week for dieting...lots of meals out. But last night I had a breakthrough of sorts. I looked at the entrees, realized they would all make a big dent in my points for the day, so I ordered from the appetizer menu. Got some sashimi (yum...some of the best I've ever had), a salad, and some veggies on the side. Had berries and cream without the cream for dessert...and didn't feel deprived. Process. It's all about the process. We'll see what the scale says tomorrow!

Started kitty on his chemo-therapy tonight. We'll see how he tolerates it. I hope it works, because it is not cheap. We have to get it made at a compounding pharmacy...they called us to ask what flavor to make it. Kitty gets tuna flavored medicine...who would believe it???

Happy weekend.
Nancy
Old 03-11-2006, 02:43 AM   #6  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Hello ladies...

Thought since I couldn't sleep I would check out what's going on here. Actually, I am trying to wait until I get really sleepy before going to bed so I can go to sleep. V was really tired and when he is really tired he snores like crazy. If I am really tired I can sleep through it. So instead of him sleeping on the couch or in the chair I thought I would be nice and let him sleep in the bedroom. Anyway...

NANCY...tuna flavored meds eh? Now how's that for making kitty better, bet he loves it! Good vibes to you for a great weigh in tomorrow. :

JANE...can't remember, is your house in the process of being built right now? I was telling V about you guys building a house (he wishes that was what we were doing) and he asked me if it had been started yet. I couldn't remember, DOH! I think it would be cool to see it being built. I would be out there with a camera and video camera. Hey, nothing wrong with vinyl flooring. When we went to the symphony we had people coughing all around us. I was so hoping nothing was contagious and glad they weren't too close. I hate when people are breathing down you neck and then start coughing. I too would go professionally cleaned, especially if this is the first time having it cleaned. That's what we are going to do with the couch and chair we have before we move, especially the chair-everyone sits on it. I almost asked the guy to do it before he left when we had the carpets cleaned.

SUE...hopefully you guys don't have a lot of trees and such to clear. I think that would be a pain for me. But again, cool to see your house built.

SUSAN...there's got to be some kind of program out there for Gaby. Something to cut the costs of daycare. I have no clue what, but just think there has to be something. I wouldn't even begin to know how to find out or where to go-been soooooo long since mine were that age. I'm sure you will find something soon. Just cracks me up that you have to be really poor to get help. Not sure how anyone can afford to work and pay daycare. Seems like sometimes the daycare takes half of ones check, especially if you have more than one child in it, crazy! But at the same time daycare workers get paid poorly when you think about them taking care of what is most precious to us. Anyway, hope you find one soon. Hey, $77 is better than nothing! DS last year got a check for $5! Seemed kind of stupid wasting the time to print it up and mail it! But that's the government for ya...always wasting money. Anyway...blah, blah, blah. I get chatty when I get sleepy and am up late. Just start babbling...

Hi to everyone else again!

I'm getting pretty sleepy now so think I will go and try to go to sleep. Long day of cleaning tomorrow. Then will still have a little bit to do on Sunday before we head out the door. Just going to take Ernie and go to the park. It takes almost 30 minutes to get there, 30 minutes back and I can easily spend an hour walking there. That will give them a little past 2 to get out. Crossing my fingers we get an offer soon. i don't want to lose the house before we actually get it. Anyway...take care ladies and have a wonderful weekend! Nighty, night.

P.S. I thought I lost my post! Stinking AOL logged me off while I was on IE...never had it do that before and I ahve spent longer on IE than now-weird. Since the changes made to 3FC I cannot access the site through AOL which again is weird. I didn't have a problem they last time 3fc changed servers. Anyway, just glad I can get to it through IE otherwise there would be no more Cristi at 3fc. Probably make you ladies happy and save you from all these goofy posts! Okay, I am outta here and off to sleepyland.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

Just a quick post!

All this talk about smelly people, I think I better go take a shower!

This is Jhanai weekend and I haven't seen her in three weeks!! So it's all about her. So I may check in quickly but won't have much time for posting.

Just so you know!

take care!
Old 03-11-2006, 09:18 AM   #8  
Ginny

Good morning ladies,
All you ladies building or moving into new houses, makes me jealous. That is my dream, always has been. When we first married we had plans for a new house to be built, then fil talked hubby out of it, we ended up buying an old big house with the promise we would fix it up, sell it and build in a few years. Well 33 yrs. 5 kids and much $$$$$ spent on fixing it up later, we are still here, not done with the fixing up and no new house in my future,, YET... we have actually discussed getting something smaller and maybe in a warmer climte.. so my dream is still there.... anyway I digress, sorry bout that. IT's a sore spot in my life..

Ok. Jane how long did you care for you mil? We have been taking care of granny more or less since grandpa died 20 yrs ago.. she just got diagnosed a couple years ago and we have been moving her between us and her daughter for 2 yrs now. Even when she is with the other, we give each other time off as much as we can. IT's a very trying time, as you well know.

This morning I got up at 7:30 and rode my bike 4.3 miles. I am going to have to ride the other 2-3 miles later. Kept getting interrupted. Going for groceries in a bit, then bringing my 5 yr. old granddaughter Jade back with me. She will spend the day and night. She is my little *Mini me* as my hubby calls her.
He says it's scary how much like me, she is.. of course, I love it. Having had 5 boys, she is like the little girl I never had. So of course I spoil her..she has a 1 1/2 yr. old sister too. I treasure all my grandkids, but the girls have a very special place in my heart.

The sun is shining out, the snow is practically all gone. IT is suppose to be 55 degrees today. That is very good for these parts. I do believe spring is coming.

I just heard last night that a flower shop is moving into a building on our corner. That is not good news. We have a retail shop combined with our greenhouses and I'm not sure how this will affect business. We are out in the country, so I don't know why anyone would put a business like that out here. We are here cause putting up greenhouses on farm land works better than in town..The building they are moving into used to be owned by hubby's parents. They had a general store, an old fashioned mom and pop place many years ago as he was growing up. I had suggested we use it as a retail place for our business but he didn't think it would work.. now someone else is going to try.

Jane. I'd get it professionally cleaned. They do it so fast and a much better job than a rented machine. There machines are so powerful. I've had mine done several times, and was always happy with the results, and it really isn't that expensive.

Ok. I've vented enough here, going to go have a great day and enjoy the sunshine. Hope you all have the same.

Ginny
Old 03-11-2006, 11:19 AM   #9  
I can dream, can't I?

Morning Ladies... Rainy, icky, rain. I doubt I will get my walk in, so I will do WATP. Then I have bathrooms to clean and meatloaf to fix. I still want the chicken soup also...

When we were first married and had 3 kids between us we started building this house. We had a BR for each child. Of course, I got pg. with OUR son so he shared a BR with DH's son when he was here. All we talked about during the building was doing it for a re-sale as we had another house plan we were going to build for our dream house. Ha,ha. Here we are 26 years later and we never built the dream home. Now we need this new home as it is smaller..and a shop for DH.
NO, there is not a thing wrong with vinyl floors and I already have my vinyl picked out just in case the tile runs too expensive. DH says we will have what we want in this house since it will be our last new home...but I am afraid of the over-runs in price, so I am picking alternatives. The wood floor will be in the great room and the tile in the kitchen, dining area, utility and baths. We are going to tile the wall behind the stove ourselves. (and have considered doing the other tile to save)
As for trees on the lot...the developer has to take out the big trees, and we just do the small and all the brush. DH does want to find someone to haul the logs to the saw mill as he can have it all kiln dried and use it for his furniture making. He made DS a barrister bookcase from a walnut tree that was right here in our neighborhood...and then he drove it to CA..so DS thinks the world of that furniture.

Okay...enough for now. I must get my body moving.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:53 AM   #10  
GmaTo8

Good morning ladies,

Susan - I've decided to go to epinions.com and read which is the best steamer and take it from there. I'll probably go ahead and have it done professionally, since I'll be so busy. With her speech problem, I bet you can get Gaby in to HS, or at least get her name on the waiting list.

Sue - dang, where were you when I needed a queen bed and a large dining room suite, lol!! I'd LOVE to have a handmade barrister bookcase, you lucky dog.

Nancy - I sure never dreamed they'd make tuna flavored meds, lol. Hope kitty gets better soon.

Cristi - our house will be ready soon, and I can't wait! So sorry you're having trouble with your posts here. I've learned (the hard way!) to copy mine before I hit the "submit relpy" button.

Marti - aww, I know how it is to smoke, and don't agree that all of them smell. Cristi said she couldn't tell it on her son. My sister is a very courteous smoker, and unless you knew she smokes, you couldn't tell it. Have a good time with your DD and give her a hug from Aunt Jane.

Ginny - we took care of mil for about 6 years total, and even relocated out here to the country to be closer to her. We had lots of trouble with the family who wouldn't do it themselves, but criticized everything we did. I gained a lot of weight during that period and was miserable. Since then, I've learned to let their comments roll off my back. Yay for you, getting in so much exercise.

Sorry the responses are short today, but I'm in a hurry. Mary and I are going shopping and leaving the kids home with Derwood. (I really should stop calling Dale that, teehee) After taking care of 3 sick kids all week, Mary needs to get out w/o them.

Have a good day, ladies!!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #11  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Cristi, tha tis strange about the dryer lint tray...wondering if it has something to do with your water too? Like its too hard or soft.
I used to make cinnamon bread,,,lazy person way...bread machine,,,then I would stick it in the freezer and when I knew someone was coming I would pull it out,,,thaw it and stick it back in the oven for a few minutes...the smell of cinnamon and bread is one of my favorite smells.

Susan, there is got to be someone you can speak with about getting Gaby into HS and speach therapy. And not breaking the bank.
As for Rach...with all the media out there talking about smoking it makes me wonder why the young people are still wanting to smoke? I know so many people who wish they never started, and can't quit.

Jane,,,I had to take Brandon to the clinic and was all stressed over the coughing people...they are in the right place but for those who aren't coughing and hacking it is stressful worrying they are going to catch what they have. I have vinyl in the kitchen, Im not sure if I would go for hardwood or tile,,, we are rough family and would hate to have such a cost and then drop something.

Marti you and Miss Jhanai have a great weekend.

Ginny, will you and DH just sell everything and move or take your business with you? Does Jade's dad take after you or is she a throw back? (your DS was skipped and Jade got your characteristics?)

Sue, you are loosing alot of rooms,,,does that mean you are loosing alot of square footage too? Are you ok with that? I am thinking you still have a spare room that you can make into your *space* /spare room. Meanwhile DH is enjoying his work area. I bet DS loved that shelf,,,what a conversation piece too.

Not much going on,,,smallville marathon continues,,,disc 3 season 2...lol really getting into it now. Almost done 5th panel of crocheted blanket. Just another 5 to go.
Monte promised a dinner out,,, so going to go rest, relax then get all done up.
have a great day ladies
Old 03-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Smile

Hello ladies...

SUSAN...hope you and the girls are having a nice day! Any special plans for the weekend?

ANGIE...you made me think of the kids pediatricians. I loved their doctors. They went to them from birth until about the age of 10 and I was sad when we moved so far away. Anyway, they had two separate doors/sides of the office to go to. One side was for well patients the other side for sick ones. I loved that...that way the other kids wouldn't get sick. I've seen my share of snotty nosed kids, coughing and touching the toys spreading germs, ick! Gross thinking about it. I know they can't help it but it's kind of gross when you see thick, slimey, green snot running down a little guys nose. But I thought that was cool. Never have found another doctors office like that. Hope you and Monte have a nice relaxing dinner together! Cinnamon bread sounds delicious! Never thought about that and using the breadmaker. Thanks for putting it in my head. I could actually start it when I leave for the open house since it takes 2-3 hours to make in the breadmaker I have.

MARTI...hope you have a wonderful weekend with Jhanai. Didn't realize you hadn't seen her in three weeks. Post when ya can...we miss you around here.

SUE...you can send that rain over to us, we still need lots. If only it were that easy. Isn't it great having a hubby that is a handy man? I know I sure am thankful. V has saved us lots of money at times because he does things. Good to have back ups in case. Your house sounds like it is going to be really nice.

Hi GINNY...terrible about the flower shop, hope it doesn't affect your business too much. Well, we are buying a new house (will be my third, DH's second) but it definitely isn't our dream house. DH got a taste of having a new house and I tell him he has new house-itis.

JANE...I did say I couldn't smell it on Josh but that was when he was in Jr. High and smoked maybe a cigarette or two every now and then, trying to be a sneaky little thing. He never smoked after that. He started smoking three or four years ago, why I will never know. Now, even though he goes out to smoke and is a considerate smoker he smells! Anyway, so does that mean you guys have started building your house? Guess, I didn't see anywhere that you guys startes yet. Are you going to share pics? We would love to see your new home! Yours too Sue! I'm not having trouble with my posts, and I do copy them before I hit submit. I just can't access 3FC from AOL and have to go through IE, don't even try anymore. Just go straight to IE. Don't have any problems with that way. It was AOL that threw me off last night but I was still on IE but couldn't submit because AOL knocked me offline. I did copy my post and it was still there on IE when I went back. Anyway...

HI to everyone else

Guess I better get back to work. Haven't gotten much done, the bathrooms are clean and a few other things. Not going to vacuum since I will just have to do it again tomorrow. Actually, I really don't have much left to do, just the living room and my bedroom. I cleaned the ceiling fans, the windows, the baths and mopped the floors. Carrie is doing the basement for me, Jason does his own room and Josh's has been clean since he's been gone, so...the good thing about all this, well, except for the house actually getting sold, and the house being clean is I have been buying fresh flowers every week and I love that! I took the candle off the dining room table and put a different arrangement of flowers every week, so pretty and it dresses up the table. Anyway...I better get back to work. Have a good one!

Last edited by FrouFrou; 03-11-2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #13  
I can dream, can't I?

A quick hello...The sun came out and it reached almost 60 degrees. Got in a 2 mile walk again. Yay!

Yes, we are losing several spaces, but they just sit here unused since the kids are all gone. The size of the new house will be perfect. And..yes, it is nice to have a DH who is so handy. I wish you could all see the beautiful furniture he has made. If I can round up some pics. I might put them on my yahoo album and put the link here.

Happy Sunday to all. I think it is going to be warm here so I may go to the lot and help haul and stack wood.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:28 PM   #14  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Sue that would be great, I come from a family of builders...crafters and such. Im the only one who can sew thou. I would love to see pictures. I was going through all our pictures so i can make a new family collage. Everytime I used to paint or sew something for someone I would take a picture. I like that I had it from the first to the last,,,I could see how I evolved in style and workmanship.

Cristi what a great idea for the Dr. to have done that. I was sitting there thinking to myself that I wouldn't let my small child touch any of the toys cause of all of the other sick kids playing with them. I wonder if the nurses wash down the toys regularly, or even spray it with lysol. When we did the Indoor Play Group, I had a sign up sheet per month for a group of mom's to go in and with part bleach part water wash all the toys or spray them. I tried to keep the germy thing down.
Well we didn't go out for dinner,,,went up stairs for a rest,,,but didn't rest,,,everyone in the house came and crashed on the bed,,,we watched disc 4 together, then they left and I fell asleep,,,woke at 8....*sigh great now lets see if Im going to fall back to sleep later.

I woke up to trading spaces...and ethe exact color I want for the basement,,,a coffee with lots of cream color.

well Im going to go watch this family with 16 kids move in to their home. 16 kids,,,,yikes!
Old 03-11-2006, 11:58 PM   #15  
Nancy

Hi all. It's been a truly strange couple of days here - we've had hail, high winds, even a tornado touch down just a few miles from here. Not normal for us, I'll tell you!

I was pleased with my weigh-in today - after a week of restaurant meals, I only went up 2/10 of a pound - not a real gain at all. Yay!

I'm hoping we'll see some sun tomorrow. My son is bouncing off the walls!
Closed Thread