Dieting with Obstacles - I think this is my forum...




View Full Version : I think this is my forum...


Jinn
03-09-2006, 08:34 PM
Hi!

I'm Jeannette. I'm new here. I just happened across this while searching for ... er.. something which I've completely forgotten what was. Ah well.

I'm 25, I'm gluten intolerant, I have fibromyalgia and some as of yet undiagnosed autoimmune disease/issue/whatever that leaves me with big glaringly obvious inflammatory reactions, and has left me needing a wheelchair about 70% of the time. Obviously dieting is very difficult for me these days.

Right now I weigh in on my broken scale (yes, replacement time soon soon, like maybe tonight even) at 225. I think it's about 15 pounds off, so until I get the new scale, I'm ticking myself at 240, which is close to the weight limit of my wheelchair.

I need to loose weight. I've been on a gluten free diet for almost a month, and in order to maintain my health (and acquire a need for a smaller wheelchair) I obviously need to drop pounds. I would like to be under 200, aroudn 180, but that's a long weigh off. heh.

I was doing quite well until I broke my elbow about a week ago and now, I can't get even the limited amount of exercise I *was* getting, so I don't now what to do about that at the moment.

I definately need to get serious though, loosing weight will help me lots.

I'm glad I found this place, maybe that'll be all I need to get REALLy going. I never have willpower to maintain diets. :)


QuilterInVA
03-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Welcome - there are a great bunch helpful people here. You can lose weight without exercise, it just takes longer. There is no such thing as willpower for me - I exercise choice - I try to choose good foods 95% of the time and have the other 5% for things like ice cream, chips, etc. No one should be dieting. A diet has a beginning and an end - and most of us already know when the diet ends the pounds come back. Instead, look to make permanent lifestyle changes to the way you eat. You need to develop a way of eating that fits your food preferences and the way you live. One size does not fit all.

Good luck!

meowee
03-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Oh, Susan . . . how right you are. We have to stop thinking 'diet' and start thinking 'new way of life'. And, wow, girl, you are definitely living proof of that truth. :bravo:

A great big welcome for you Jeannette. :hug: This forum is definitely a great place to help keep up your resolve. There really are no obstacles we can't overcome when we have help from our cyber friends. I have diabetes and it too can add difficulty to the weight-loss journey. Just one more tribulation to overcome.

Hang in there, kiddo. If we just keep doing as many of the right things as we can manage, we will succeed. :carrot: And here's a little :dust: to help along the way.