General chatter - Fashion is the healthiest motivation for losing weight

kykaree
03-09-2006, 01:34 PM
This is a quote from Karl Lagerfeld in this month's Elle magazine (UK version)

It made me smile, coz I felt sick of the whole thing today!!! And I think it's true. It's not the healthiest reason but in terms of motivation he could be onto something. Losing weight for future heart health, for example, is a great reason, but does it get me motivated to hit the gym and work a little harder, nope. Does wearing killer slim fit jeans, with Jimmy Choos and a tight leather jacket inspire me to do 10 more lengths of the pool???? You betcha!!!

So what would you really like to wear when you get to goal???

For me:

Sass and Bide Jeans
Wheels and Doll baby t-shirt (could I get away with one of their polk a dot tutus???)
Day Birger and Mikkelsen tunic
Ghost dress
Chanel suit (never in my wildest dreams could I afford one, but a girl can dream!!!)

QuilterInVA
03-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Welll I guess vanity does play a part. I'm in it for health myself. It you can't get into those tiny clothes, are you going to give up and get really obese?

CheeseBurger&Thighs
03-09-2006, 03:29 PM
I would like to wear a belly button piercing.

GreatBigMonsterMomma
03-11-2006, 05:18 AM
I make it a point to wear flattering clothes no matter my size. I can honestly say fashion doesn't factor into it at all. I may not be able to shop at Hot Topic, but I can shop at Torrid. ;)

That said, I do have a black leather miniskirt in my goal size. :D

And on a side note, have you seen Lagerfeld lately? Goodness, he is not whom I'm going to take my fashion advice from!

ArtsyGirl
03-11-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm getting my belly re-pierced and buying a slutty dress to go out and dance in!

MeRam2
03-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi. Your post made me smile! I firmly believe that we all want some part of the fashion aspect. I mean c'mon, for health reasons we all know that we NEED to lose the weight and we think about losing weight, eating right, exercising, mental meditation and so on EVERY SINGLE day. But we don't think about fashion EVERY day. It just pops up on occasion;) and I for one, am doing it for health reasons but I sure can't wait to get into a comfortably snug fitting jean with a shorter shirt.
Good thread kykaree!

almostheaven
03-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Health is actually what did finally motivate me. However, I enjoyed experimenting with fashions as I lost the weight. I now own a couple of mini-skirts and I favor tops that show off the belly and hipster jeans. Don't know nuttin bout no name brand stuff. I never did pay attention to that.

dalai_lala
03-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Mmmm... yes... I got into it this time because of my diabetes and all the meds I take, but I do think about buying cute clothes. I too know nada about brand names, but I know I am sick sick sick of what is in my closet now. Baggy jeans and baggy t-shirts and ugly or plain Wal-mart crap.

I want the "little black dress," of course. I want some great, tight jeans. I want some of those cute, low-rider, cropped sweatpants with stupid things written on the butt. I want broomstick skirts with cute low-cut tops. Oh, and sweaters! I adore sweaters but I just can't wear them because I'm too hot under all this extra weight. I want a mini skirt. I want boots that won't look weird 'cos I have huge calves. Oh... I wonder if I should say this... :o I want hot, slinky lingerie!! (giggle)

So, yeah, there are "healthier" motivations (like living) for certain, but cute clothes aren't bad either.

-Lala

dalai_lala
03-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Oh... what's a ghost dress?

:)

-Lala

flipafart
03-12-2006, 12:44 AM
I wear stylish clothing no matter what I was born a clothes horse however
it was not motivation enough for me at my age 45 being healthy being comfortable in my skin just feeling good about my self is what motivated me
and what makes me maintain my weight

marbear
03-12-2006, 01:24 AM
It's really hard to SEE your heart pumping with more ease and your life getting longer. You can SEE a size tag in your clothes. It definitely helps keep me on track with the small goals so I reach the ultimate reason for losing weight: to be a healthy person and a positive role model for my child. I'm not that into the fashion aspect so much as the size. If I found a pair of lime green clamdiggers with purple hearts on them that was a size 10 that actually fit nicely, I might be tempted :lol:

TakingOff60
03-12-2006, 01:42 AM
HAHA! I have been trying to find clothes to fit my fat behind for weeks now, and just cannot find anything stylish and in my price range so fashion is a big factor for me considering I work with all skinny girls.
I would love to wear a blue jean mini skirt.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/tulip-bar/flower05/lb/194/140/194/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/)

LadyFirelyght
03-12-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has said "bikini". I dunno about you, but if I'm all toned up, I want to show that off as much as possible.

Shorts would be nice, and mini skirts. And halter tops, mmmm!

Misti in Seattle
03-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I am definitely in it for health reasons too... I have always been very active and when I am so heavy I CAN'T do so many of the things I like to do! So I am motivated to get the fat off and get in shape. Fashion will be a very nice bonus that I am looking forward to!!! :)

kykaree
03-12-2006, 04:36 PM
http://www.ghost.co.uk/

I think some people really don't get me on this forum ;) I lost weight because both my parents had high blood pressure and newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes.

But that's not really day to day motivation for me.

I didn't have any health problems from my weight, so I find focussing on something a bit more trivial is a bit of a fun distraction.

Does it really matter if I never fit the jeans?? No! That won't make me put the weight back on, I have fought darned hard to get this far.

Is it fun to look at all the stuff I have missed out on and might now have a hope of wearing, you bet your bippy it is!!!

Margarita
03-12-2006, 04:54 PM
HAHA! I have been trying to find clothes to fit my fat behind for weeks now, and just cannot find anything stylish and in my price range so fashion is a big factor for me...
I hear ya on that one! I can't find nice clothes that fit well in any price range, let alone what I'd like to pay. The problem is that I'm a pear. Plus-sized clothes are made to fit apples. The plus-sized clothes out there are simply not proportioned to me. Of course, I'm a pear at any weight, so there were styles that didn't fit right or look flattering even when I was slim, but the problems are tremendously exaggerated in the larger sizes.

kykaree
03-12-2006, 05:04 PM
When I started exercising my shape started to change. I am not an exaggerated pear like I used to be, and with a bit of hunting can even find the occaisional dress that fits! This year a-lines are really big, so you might find it a bit easier.

Shopping can be so annoying, but I still love it!!

GreatBigMonsterMomma
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Many plus sized clothes aren't flattering to anyone. It was horrible when I was growing up, but it seems to have gotten much better this millennium (and I'm young, so it really does seem to have happened this quickly). I can hunt and find stuff now. But things still suck for us hourglasses. My waist is 12" smaller in circumference than my are my hips, so I can find pants that fit one or the other, but not both. Thank goodness for low-rise jeans!

I'm not gonna say that I don't like being able to wear smaller sizes (though bear in mind that my ultimate goal is a 14, so I'm never gonna buy in the Juniors section, nor do I want to). I'm just saying that I don't think wearing baggy clothes is really a good thing. Not only does it make you look fatter, my pet belief is that it makes you feel pretty bad about yourself and that only makes losing weight more difficult. So I was the gal in a size 22 bustier (from Lane Bryant). :)

Margarita
03-12-2006, 10:22 PM
"Many plus sized clothes aren't flattering to anyone."

The last two or three seasons, there seem to have been an awful lot of horizontal stripes in the plus-sized shops (and the maternity departments, too). I find this so frustrating that I can hardly find the words to express it. What is wrong with these designers? It's bad enough I can't find a good fit, but do they have to deliberately design stuff that makes us look wider? Is it too much to ask that clothes for fat chicks at least try to make us look a bit slimmer?

Jeep Girl
03-12-2006, 10:50 PM
I actually started my weight loss journey on a dare. 10 of my co-workers were going that night to join WW. They ask if I wanted to go along (maybe that was a hint...lol) so I joined and guess what I am the only one still going.
After I started losing the weight however my blood pressure went down to the point that my DR took me off the meds and I could breath a lot better.
After everyone else quit I did turn my focus to health. Don't get me wrong though I do want to move to the other side of the wall and be able to buy some of the cute looking skinny clothes. I will admit I wear baggie jeans & sweatshirts & tee shirts. But I do have that dream of the little form fitting black dress with the thigh high boots........HEHE

Lynn

TakingOff60
03-12-2006, 11:33 PM
I will never wear a bikini again. My pregnancy left me with crazy stretch marks. My legs are my best feature, so I like to exagerate them.
Oh and I noticed the horizontol stripe thing too.
HAHA! On Sunday DH went shopping with me and foudn this shirt that was an XL and said something like "Country Girls Rock the World", and he wanted me to try it on. I took it in the fitting room and couldn't even get it over my boobs. He got it from the teen girls section.
~Ana

Misti in Seattle
03-13-2006, 12:38 AM
What drives me nuts are that all of the blouses and tops are SO short this season that there is nothing at ALL for us tall, long waisted women. And so much super cling material... how many plus size women want stuff clinging so tightly that every lump shows? I can never find anything long enough to cover my stomach. And it REALLY bugs me that the 6X blouses are about 6" LONGER than when you get down into the 1X to 3X... like they think people who wear the smaller X sizes are 6 inches SHORTER?

fmcfatterson
03-13-2006, 01:11 AM
I wanna wear skinny jeans and the longer spaghetti strap tank tops with some party shoes:carrot: And I want to wear some short skirts. I love short skirts.

:df:

GreatBigMonsterMomma
03-13-2006, 04:02 AM
Oh my, short skirts. I've got a couple of nice short skirts, but they're not made for women with butts. What's up with that? How many women do you know with flat a****? I have always had good legs. It's genetic. But some of these skirts I cannot wear because of my rear end. The front comes down nearly to my knees but the back is up under my butt. I hate that!

And maternity clothes...ooh, don't get me started there! When I was pregnant with my middle I saw this cute little maternity tee that I loved the design on, and it was on clearance so I bought it. Without trying it on, yes I'm dumb. I'll claim pregnancy brain on that one. That shirt was my introduction to the fact that maternity clothes aren't made with boob room! Apparently us well-endowed women never get pregnant. I actually do have one maternity dress, made from a stretchy material, but 99% of maternity tops/dresses I simply can't wear. No boob room! And nursing clothes are just as bad. Motherwear has maybe one or two tops in my size. :nono: What, we fat chicks shouldn't give our babies breastmilk?

See, I can go on and on. :lol: I love clothes, and I hate the fitting issues.

2frustrated
03-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Ok, what I want to wear when I'm skinny!

Seven for all mankind jeans (I will be skipping across the pond to get them since they're half price over there!)

Anything by Stella McCartney, although I'm not sure her styles really flatter anyone!

I'd have one of those Roland Mouret Galaxy dresses in a flash - but they're so last year dahling! Isn't the new one called something equally wierd?

I have the bikini, I just have to ratchet the confidence up a notch to wear it in Nice in June! :D Oh and I bought a lovely little frock from Dorothy Perkins at the weekend - size 12 (UK) with tiny polka dots!

Kykaree, did you see that Ghost have a wedding collection :eek: Maybe I should make an appointment! :lol: You should come down for the fitting, we could have a riot! :D

CindyBGood
03-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Fashion and feeling good in things is always my biggest motivator. Right now I'm shaving off some final pounds for spring, but can't wait to pull on slim white pants with a white top - that all white look is so fresh and pretty in summer. Love the wedge shoes and some of the peekaboo toe platform sandals, too.

I have a little navy cocktail dress that I want to wear for a wedding in 6 weeks. It really just nearly fits and a few more weeks of eating right and working out ought to push me over the edge - just a fitted sheath with double spaghettis straps that cross in a square pattern in the back. Simple but chic, need some just really kewl shoes to go with it - will be on the hunt next.

Fashion is indeed fun. There's a great article in this month's Redbook magazine about clothes, sizing, what designers cater to what size ranges, etc. There are lots of the designer dudes sho don't want to make anything bigger than a size 8. Size 8 is the mid-size where things are made bigger or smaller for most clothes manurfacturers and the average size in the US is a 14.

ANyway it's kindof an interesting article.

healthytoad
03-13-2006, 04:37 PM
It would be a big fashion step for me just to be able to tuck my shirt in and not have bulges! I must be getting old.. I don't even recognize most of the names / designers that have been mentioned :)

WaterRat
03-13-2006, 08:28 PM
What drives me nuts are that all of the blouses and tops are SO short this season that there is nothing at ALL for us tall, long waisted women. And so much super cling material... how many plus size women want stuff clinging so tightly that every lump shows? I can never find anything long enough to cover my stomach. And it REALLY bugs me that the 6X blouses are about 6" LONGER than when you get down into the 1X to 3X... like they think people who wear the smaller X sizes are 6 inches SHORTER?

AMEN! I have a strange shape in that I'm very long waisted, yet I wear petite pants (I'm 5'4"), and it irritates the you-know-what out of me that some manufacturers don't understand that petite doesn't just mean short - it also needs to have a shorter rise. I hate having the crotch of my pants half way to my knees! Oh, you just hit my button with clothes here! THe folks who make plus sizes don't recognize that we can also be short! (THankfully, I'm now mostly in "regular" sizes, though I'll buy 1X shirts to accommodate the boobs and for the little bit more length) Still, I do like to shop :lol: And when I lose just a bit more I'll be shopping in my own closet! I own tons of stuff in the next size down, thankfully in spring/summer stuff. :carrot:

Misti in Seattle
03-14-2006, 02:00 AM
It would be a big fashion step for me just to be able to tuck my shirt in and not have bulges!

Oh for sure! I hear you!!! That would be a BIG day for me too!! :carrot:

Misti in Seattle
03-14-2006, 02:02 AM
AMEN! I have a strange shape in that I'm very long waisted, yet I wear petite pants (I'm 5'4"), and it irritates the you-know-what out of me that some manufacturers don't understand that petite doesn't just mean short - it also needs to have a shorter rise.

I have the SAME problem... and I am 5'9" and often have to buy petite pants and try to find the legs long enough... or else roll up the waistband or have the crotch hang two inches below where it should! The last ones I bought were average length... crotch is fine but they are pretty short on me. The talls were about 5 inches longer, yeeks!!! Hang way below my feet! Meanwhile I am lucky to find a blouse longer than my navel... and forget long sleeves LOL unless I want them two inches too short!

Boo-Boo
03-14-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm on this mission because I want to get back in my jeans again, because I am happier with a healthier weight and everytime I see myself in pictures, or my reflection in a store window, I think...OMG! It is getting better and I can get my jeans on...way too tight to wear them outside, but I'm getting there! I want to be healthy!

Lafayette
03-14-2006, 02:56 PM
I would like the ability to wear anything. Clothes that "hide" figure flaws don't hide anything- except the fact that you tried to hide it with clothes instead of backing away from the buffet! I'm sick of long jackets and pants that have more engineering than an expansion bridge!

I would have to say heels are my main motivation, though. I want to be able to wear strappy shoes without looking like my feet are attempting to escape!