LA Weight Loss - Once you have lost the weight...

View Full Version : Once you have lost the weight...

slecompte
03-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Ok ladies, I know many of us are not there yet, but since I am very close, I have a ??

I went from 148 to 134 - goal (per ideal weight at LAWL) is 133. Of course I can tell that I have lost weight, but I really don't feel like it is a lot. I was between a 10 & 12 size before - probably more towards 12, that is why I finally got moving.

I am not concerned about the weight number as much as I want to be a size 8. Why?? Well because I worked this hard, that is what I want :) I was an 8/10 before I got preg in 2003.

So anyhow, question is, so I get to 133 and can't wear an 8. Will doing weights to tone up more help me achieve this? I know the "textbook" answer should be yes, but I wanted some real life opinions. I think it is mainly my middle section that still needs to shrink.

Anyhow sorry to ask, I know I should be grateful, but after almost 15 lbs, it doesn't really seem like that much. I actually "felt" thinner a few pounds ago then right now. Seem to feel bloated a majority of the time and I am not eating anything different then before.

Thanks!!

Sheila

slecompte
03-09-2006, 09:52 AM
Any by the way, I am still not there!! Lowest I weigh in center has been 136, so...over 11 weeks on the plan and I lose very very slowly....

Sheila

deetsmom
03-09-2006, 09:57 AM
I understand where you are at. I wanted to be a 2 since I never was one before and I too figured I should be for the same reasons you said. I was never the size I am now either..and while I got into 2's for a few weeks, its not a manageable place at this point..maybe when exercise resumes.

I think if you do some consistent cardio you will see a change, plus, remember, having children changes your body no matter how much weight you lose, its just a fact. Its hard when you see celebrities and such who look the same after birth and you think, I should be able to do that to...sometimes its just not meant to be.

You know, you and I need to enroll in group therapy for body image. Im a smaller size than you and still dont even feel it and struggle daily to keep at my goal weight where its easier for others to get to goal and stay there.

Be proud of where you are and hopefully with exercise it will get better. Ive never seen the result of exercise on my body being this small, I have a feeling once I start again it will be very rewarding. I used to be an avid exerciser, but I was 40 pounds or more heavier and harder to see real changes. The weather is finally changing, Ill be back to my outdoor runs and walks with the stroller very soon and I got that Biggest Loser DVD coming too! Hang in with me!

shennie_97
03-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I totally agree. I was 145 and a size 8 before and I am still not there now. I can fit some 8's but I am still in some 10/12 too. children do things to our bodies that we just can't figure out and sadly we don't have the multimillion dollar weight trainers (or surgeons) that the stars have.

Definetly toning up your arms and legs will make your size smaller. I am assuming...just from my own body...that you have lost inces, but you don't have defined legs and arms. that part of you body that still jiggles, think about how that will be when it is toned and muscular and all the jiggling is gone. you will definitly be downa size or two. I ahev a friend who is 5'9ish and weighs 155...you would look at here and swear she was 130 because she is muscular. I think she wears about a 6/8.
My butt has always been big, but i carried my pregancy weight in my butt so it is much bigger now. I size 4 would never exist in my life without surgery, but I feel GREAT about loosing almost 40 lbs. and the size on a pair of pants is not going to take my joy away:D

slimmerKim
03-09-2006, 03:02 PM
I would say Cardio workouts will help shed the inches faster than toning exercises. I really noticed how it's helped with the inches coming off :)

good luck - I am a size 6 (down from a 16) and would still like to lose 5 more lbs

PURPLEPIRATE99
03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Sheila - I totally agree with the others. I think exercise - both cardio and toning will help to make you smaller - Sizes are definitely not the biggest picture - it is your health, but I believe if you so some extra toning it will help tremdously. I've only lost 14 lbs, but I've been exercising avidly since the beginning of the year - and I'm down two full sizes just about!!! Good luck and let us know when you get there -

futuresurferchick
03-09-2006, 03:42 PM
Muscle takes up less space than fat, like 1 lb of muscle is smaller than 1lb of fat. And the more muscles you have, the more calories you burn even when you're just sitting around, because muscles need energy to maintain themselves.

So, logically, if you lost more fat and gained more muscle, you might weigh the same or even a bit more but actually be smaller in size. And you could weigh the same as before, but eat more to maintain that weight (I read on a 3fc post that 1 extra pound of muscle burns 500 extra calories a day just in maintaining itself).

So even though I don't have any personal experience with looking toned (yet! :cool:) I can tell you that weight training should help you go down in size. And cardio burns calories too, so it is helpful also.

slecompte
03-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Thanks everyone. I am sorry if I seem unhappy, I am happy to be close to 133, but I guess I always expected that to be smaller than what it really is for me. I figured 15 lbs would be a bigger difference.

I know the reasoning, but still ticks me that some can weigh 130 and be a size 4 or 6!! I do exercise around 5 hours a week or a little more because of my tennis. I am actually on the blue plan because on Gold I was not losing much after the first 7-8 lbs. It is just really slooooow!!

Of course I am still happy to wear a 10, but of course it seems once we get on this ride we want more and more right?! Deets I am sure you understand that!! If I weighed 140 and wore an 8, would be fine with me. I just wanted to be a tad smaller then a 10. Why? Just because I think that is a good average size. If I gained some, I would still only be at a 10, versus back to a 12. Again, all mental!!

So since I am doing a good bit of cardio maybe if I add the weights and keep them both going that will help!

Thanks everyone!!

Sheila

deetsmom
03-09-2006, 06:23 PM
As twisted as it is, I totally understand:(

slecompte
03-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi Marisa! I am just a little over 5' 7". But I can try on a pair of 10 pants and they are loose, but not that loose. or I tried on tennis clothes yesterday and while I can wear most M tops, M skirts are still just a little too snug!

Sheila

deetsmom
03-09-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm 5'4 on a good day and a true 4 at 133-134.

slimmerKim
03-09-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm 5"1 and size 6 at 126-128

Gamababa3
03-09-2006, 08:52 PM
All you slim people are making me envious:) I'll be there maybe late this year.

slecompte
03-09-2006, 08:57 PM
See Deets, I am a little over 3 inches taller then you, so you think that would count for something - about the same weight, but I am 3 sizes bigger!

deetsmom
03-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Everyone is so different...my girlfriend is also a 4 and to me, she looks SO thin, she s shorter than me and carries her weight in her lower half, flat tummy. Me, its all loose belly from three babies, no butt...everyone is different. It depends on your frame too. When we both tried on bathing suits you could REALLY see it...shes more petite and I have more of a medium build. Dont fret, Im sure you look awesome!

aphil
03-10-2006, 07:14 AM
I know the reasoning, but still ticks me that some can weigh 130 and be a size 4 or 6!!

What I think is really important to reiterate here, is that when you started LAWL you were only a few pounds overweight...you went down a clothing size with that weight loss, from a 12 to a 10-and that is wonderful.

When I started out losing weight at 211 pounds, I was in a size 20 or very very tight spray painted on size 18 in pants. I had to get down to about 190 before I was a very comfortable 18. That is 21 pounds for a single clothing size. I then had to go from 190 down to about 175 before I was a comfortable size 16-that is 15 pounds for a clothing size. Before I got pregnant, I was hovering at about 164-165, which put me in a 14 for most brands-another 10 pounds for a clothing size.
Really only the smallest people will lose more than 1 clothing size per every 10-15 pounds or so...so you really can't expect to go from the 140's to the 130's and drop 2 clothing sizes, as much as I wish it were that way.

What I did notice in my weight loss, however-is that while I went from a size 20 to a size 14-I really, really got fit. I had great abs (hopefully by this time next year I will be getting them back!) I was getting wonderful muscle tone in my shoulders and chest/back, and a lot of other changes in my shape were happening-fitness and exercise does a lot more than "punds on the scale". You can be in a size 8 and have washboard abs, or you can be a size 8 with saddlebags. A certain size tag doesn't mean you are in great shape fitness wise. I think most women get too hung up on the scale and on clothing sizes-and don't step back to notice the small improvements all over their body that everyone else sees-results that come from exercise. :D

That is why many plans advocate taking photos of yourself once a month in a bathing suit-so you can keep track of these changes and compare what you actually look like from month to month.

As far as being jealous of those who can fit into a size 4 or 6 in the 130's...there are way too many factors that play into this-your bone frame, your height, your body type (apple vs. pear vs. hourglass), and your fitness level-how much body fat and how much muscle you have.
For instance-my SIL and I both weigh about the same. She is large framed and I am smaller framed. When we stand back to back, her shoulders are wider than mine (and she is 5" shorter than me!) and her neck and arms and wrists are thicker. I wear a 5 1/2 ring and she wears an 8. She is big boned and I am small boned. I am taller and she is shorter-so while we weigh the same, we look completely different.

There are so many things to consider when

shennie_97
03-10-2006, 08:25 AM
I still think alot of it has to do with body type I am 5'6.5 and I still were 10 and 12's in many stores at 145. I do ont carry my weight in my stomach or my arms (which is why it took so long for me to really try to loose.) I can were s and xs in shirts (if the breasts will allow;) ) but I do not belive that I will be smaller than an 8 in most stores with the next 6 pounds. I do hope to be a definte 8 after toning though. (but that is a hope)

When I had to send in my measurements for a dance cotume when I was a teen, they called me back because they thought I didn't know how to measure. my measurements were 30-29-41!

every body is made different, I see plenty of people who weigh far more than me and I would love to have their legs because they carry their weight int heir arms. I hear people say they wouldn't wear shirts that weren't at least 3/4 lentgh. Well I were tank tops and tube tops (ok, I am too onld for that now, but you get the picutre ;) ) with no embarassment, but a skirt above my kneees and I am freaking out.

don't base your worth on someone elses standard. everyone is completly different. That is the joy of being human...each one of us is different.

slecompte
03-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks everyone for making me come back to reality :) Aphil I defintiely know what you are saying about dropping sizes - since I was so close to a 10 before the loss, I was *hoping* 15 lbs would get me to an 8. Since I wasn't a full size 12, just depending on cut of clothes. But...we'll see, going shopping sometime in the next month.

I did look in the mirror last night (at the backside - gasp) and that could definitely still use some toning. Even though it is much smaller, I know that is why I can't get into the 8.

So we'll see, my journey gets slower and slower so that makes me somewhat discouraged at times, but I also know I am so close.

Sheila

aphil
03-10-2006, 09:06 AM
shennie-
It sounds as if you are the pear body type-small upper body, but you carry the weight in your lower body, correct?
I am one of those women who envy your thin arms. ;)

I am an hourglass figure, so I get nice and shapely really easy in my chest/back/waist/abs...but I carry weight in my upper arms and in my lower body. I will not, under any circumstances, wear sleeveless tops-and I am very uncomfortable in shorts as well. In the summer, I am a short sleeved capri pants/flowy summer skirt girl. Luckily, I am in a profession where I can cover up my arms and lower body-and show off my torso. It is quite the "illusion" let me tell you. :rofl:

csoar2004
03-10-2006, 09:14 AM
I am 5'8" and wear sizes 6 & 8 depending on manufacturer. For toning, I do pilates and rebounding. ;) The last time I was at this weight (146-ish) I could only wear size 14's.

As you might imagine, I am a happy HAPPY camper :D :carrot:

Repo girl
03-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Aphil, I am jealous. I think that belly dancing is so cool. Is that your main source of exercise?

heather314
03-10-2006, 10:20 AM
i'm 5'5 and what i wouldn't give to be a size 4!!!!!! But I think it all varies person to person. I used to be thin, though i didnt think so at the time lol, but was never smaller than an 8 in jeans. And looking back at pictures now I dont think i'd want to be much smaller than i was. Depends on your frame I guess.

stiesta
03-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Shennie,

Right there with you on the body type. I have NO weight in my arms, ribs, and my stomach is as flat as it can be after birthing three children. But my backside....oh, it's another story all together. I swear, I am still losing weight in my sides and ribs (which is unreal to me). I have lost 8 1/2 inches off my chest and only 3 on my hips, and 3 on my thighs. I would rather have kept more of what I had up top and lost it on the bottom. I have always been small up top, but nothing ever fits becuase my waist is small, but my butt and hips are not. Finding a pair of jeans that fits right is almost comical. It's so frustrating!!!! :mad:

But the other girls are right about not giving up...be proud of what you've done and keep working to fix what you don't like!

Christie

duckyfresh
03-14-2006, 01:51 PM
When I started out losing weight at 211 pounds, I was in a size 20 or very very tight spray painted on size 18 in pants. I had to get down to about 190 before I was a very comfortable 18.

A very good example of how different people are. I weigh 258 and wear a 20 comfortably, and am almost comfortable in an 18. I am very very heavy but not as big because I'm very densely boned and muscular.. I'll never see 120-130 and probably not even 140. My goal is 150.

aphil
03-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Aphil, I am jealous. I think that belly dancing is so cool. Is that your main source of exercise?

It is a very large part of it-however, I also do light yoga, walking, Pilates, and strength training. :D
Right now, since I am expecting (15 1/2 weeks now or almost 4 months)-I am belly dancing, walking, and doing prenatal yoga for the most part.

I have been dancing for about 5+ years, and have been performing professionally for almost 4. :)

Repo girl
03-14-2006, 03:08 PM
I think that is awesome. Can you buy any belly dancing exercise DVD's?

aphil
03-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Yes-there are a lot of different videos. Some are meant for everyone-those who want something fun to do as exercise, and then there are those that are meant for professionals only. If you are interested in belly dance inspired exercise dvds, pm me and I can give you some good titles for bd dvds that are good for general workouts. :)

skinni_minni
05-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Absolutley weight training will change your size - way faster than cardio will. In fact, once you start weight training - your weight may not change all that much, but you will notice a big drop in inches as muscle takes up far less volume than fat. Also - with gaining lean body mass (muscle) your body burns more calories even at rest - so you basically turn into a fat burning machine.

I've lost 85lbs, and JUST NOW started weight training to try and firm up these last 30lbs I need to lose. If I had it to do over again (and here's hoping I won't!!) I would have started weight training from the very begining. Cardio burns calories - but weight training will actually help you change your body shape.