Old 03-08-2006, 07:58 AM   #1  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Hello everyone..........

Hi I have been on the forums for a few days, and was invited here. I began wanting to get in shape and loose some weight on the 1st of January, I am tired of feeling without energy, my feet were swollen with fluid, which made walking very difficult, and I wanted to be healthy for myself. I went out found some 5lb weights, some ankle weights and started lifting weights, and doing some light aerobics. In 2 months I felt a difference in clothes, they were looser, and my feet were not swollen. 2 wks ago my family was given a 6 month membership to the YMCA here( We relocated to N.C. due to Hurricane Katrina), and I decided last week to take advantage of the exercies facility they have there. For the first 3 times I went I used the women's facility, I was able to do 20 minutes on a stationary bike, and 5 on the elipitcal,and tried some of the weight machines. The weight machines where confusing so I made an appointment with a instructor to show me how to use them. Well I had to go into the Co-ed gym Monday to meet with him, that was intimidating enough. The instructor was proffesional, but not friendly. He showed my how to use the machines and enter my exercise into a computer system they have. Yesterday I went back and did the exercises on my own, I did all 10 weight stations, and loved it. Then I went upstairs and did 15 minutes on a bike and 15 on the treadmill. I am going to wait on the elliptical for now, it is just too hard at this weight. Yesterday I also weighed myself for the first time in a year. My scale is somewhere in a garbage heap in New Orleans, so I have not been able to weigh myself, Monday I found the scale at the YMCA and yesterday it was empty. I was expecting a weight of 250 or so, Well I almost cried when I saw 267, it still brings tears to my eyes. I am 5'8" and need to be at 167 to be healthy. I wear a size 22( was 24 at the beginning of January), and would like to be a 14 again. I am a SAHM of 2 kids and 2 cats, and have been going through alot of stress dealing with FEMA and money issues ect.. So it is real hard to motivate myself at times to do this. My husband is slim, so he doesn't understand the need for me not to have junk food around , my kids want junk food around, and my money issues dont allow me to buy all the healthy food I need. Sometimes life stinks. I am hoping that for the next 5 months I am able to loose 30-50 lbs while working out at the Y. I am doing 30minutes of Cardio and 20 of stregnth training. I hope to do this 4-5 times a week, depending on transportation. I only have one car, and sharing it with my husband is difficult. lol. I am glad I found this group, just not happy to have this much to loose. I am tired of saying I am going to lose weight and stop after 10 lbs, I am getting old, I will be 38 soon, and would like to be healthy for once. Sorry this was so long .Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #2  
Downsizing Dee!

Hi Cheryl,
Welcome to the group, it's great to have you here!

I understand what you mean about the numbers being intimidating. 100 pounds seems like a daunting number when you look at the whole picture. I've had great success with breaking the weight loss into 10lb. increments and I just focus on losing those 10 pounds and then moving on to the next 10. And of course numbers don't mean everything. You're already seeing a difference in your clothes and not having the same trouble with your feet. It will keep getting better as time goes on.

You've already made great progress on the exercise front, I commend you for getting instruction from the beginning and putting in the effort to increase your activity.

As for healthy food costing too much...Well I can buy some broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, carrots, onions and lean beef or chicken and make a meal big enough to feed a family for what it costs to buy a bag of chips, chocolate bar and pop. Do what's right for you, your family will will reap the benefits of eating healthy meals as well.

~Dee

Last edited by newfiedarling; 03-08-2006 at 08:42 AM.
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #3  
One pound at a time...

First of all to the group Cheryl! I can not even begin to imagine the kind of stress and turmoil that you and your family have been through the past few months. It always so difficult to focus on what you need when you are trying to provide normalcy to your family when things are going crazy around you. You should be proud of yourself that you have started to excercise, it is definately a great start. Dee made an excellent suggestion, don't focus on the overall number, look at it in small increments. It is tough to try and eat healthy on a small budget, but think of it as not only improving the health of yourself but your family as well. Also, you will be instilling good eating habits for your children. I wish you the best, and keep posting so we can get to know you!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 562.3/404/195

Height: 6'3"

Hello Kitty My daughter likes Hello Kitty

Welcome to the forum. You can do this. I know you can. If I can help anyway - let me know.
Charles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:40 AM   #5  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, Cheryl ( I am Cheryl too). You are off to a great start....you can do this, it is hard, but it is worth it and we are all here for you! Just think, in three pounds you will have less than 100 to lose! I know it is still undaunting, but not as much as 102!! You go girl, keep it up. You can e-mail me if you want, my e-mail is in my profile or I can send you a PM. We all need another e-mail buddy!!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Cheryl -- You're in good company here. Realizing you need to lose 100 pounds IS depressing. We have ALL been there. I think the good news is that there IS something you can do about it, and the evidence of that is all around you. Come by often, ask advice, hear what others do.

My best piece of advice this morning is to make the commitment to yourself to do this. You don't have to know exactly how that's going to happen yet, but know that you will. Sounds like you are well on your way!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Cheryl -

I think you have already gotten some great advice, but I want to chime in about the elliptical. As you can see, my weight is over 300, that's a whole lot more than you. When I started, I could barely do 3 or 4 minutes. Every time I worked out I tried to go at least as long as the time before and add a minute if I thought I could stand it. Soon I was cranking out 20 - 25 minutes on it. I think that the elliptical is a GREAT workout and I think maybe you should give it more of a chance. 5 minutes on that thing is hard, but I know you can do it!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #8  
tolarge

S/C/G: 285 285 140

Default tolarge

Hi! Everyone!! I have been trying to lose weight all my life , can't remember when I wasn't. This time I'm going to focus on eating healthy and exercise. It's not easy for me to get motivated . I have an exercise bike in my room and try to use it daily.
tolarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:18 AM   #9  
One pound at a time...

Inge to the forum!
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:24 AM   #10  
1 day at a time

S/C/G: HW300/283/241/160

Welcome aboard there are alot of people on here welling to keep you on your toes. Glad you join.
Lesa25 is offline   Reply With Quote