Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #1  

Default Meat/Food Scales ? ? ?

I am a little nervous as I dont own one. I have been having to guess at how much my portions are . . . ????? I could totally be screwing up my weight loss by doing this. I have NO IDEA what 3 oz of chicken looks like.

So does anyone have any tips on eye balling it ?

Or where I can get an inexpensive one at? I am in So Cal. I dont have the $30 to buy the nice digital ones ???

very stressed over this.

Thank You

Angie
Old 03-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #2  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 225/215/200

Height: 5'5

I got a plastic one at Walmart and it works great for me! I think it cost less than 10 dollars!

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #3  

Oh thank you SO much. I tried looking for one at Target and they only have like $50 ones.

Thanks you
Old 03-07-2006, 06:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I have to use a scale because I am really bad at estimating - actually any measurement, not just food. That visual part of my brain is a bit behind the rest.

I was a smarty pants in high school. I always was in the 99th percentile on all the standardized tests. I was crushed as a junior when I took the ASVAB and got a 40 something in visual perception and a 30 something for mechanical ability.

Last edited by morrigan; 03-07-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:19 PM   #5  

Yes I am not very good at estimating either and that is why I am very nervous about this.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:09 PM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

but for some comparison...

3 oz of meat is about the size of a deck of cards or the palm of an average woman.

You can get a really cheapy scale for under $10 like stated but if you can afford it spend $30 and get a digital that has both grams and ounces as well as a TARE feature. Check Bed, Bath and Beyond or Linen's and Things or Wal-Mart
Old 03-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #7  
Certified Diva

S/C/G: 204.2/162.6/145

Default also

check clearance aisles at Target etc....I found a digital one for $20 on clearance that is nicer than the WW one!

Before that, for about a year, I used a $4 one and it worked just fine!
Old 03-08-2006, 05:57 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by leJellybean
I got a plastic one at Walmart and it works great for me! I think it cost less than 10 dollars!

Good luck!
Yep. I did too. $9.95 at Walmart.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #9  

I found a postal scale at goodwill, washed it up and use that with a small square of wax paper ~ I think it was $2.00
Old 03-12-2006, 12:31 AM   #10  
Halley

I got a perfectly decent food scale at Target for about $10.

My mom bought a scales from Weight Watchers and she loves it. I think those scales are like $30, though.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:41 AM   #11  

I have had four scales for $6 or less. I got them at K-mart, Walmart and Dollar General. They served my purpose for a while but weren't real sturdy for my clumsy hands and I dropped all of them and two broke. One I melted on my stove . I NEED a scale. I can't eyeball to save my life.

My problem with the less expensive ones is that they aren't super accurate especially at smaller weights like an ounce or two. For example, none of mine would accuratley weigh 1 ounce of peanuts. They will weigh differently everytime I take them off or on, and the scale rarely sets back to zero when I remove the item. But I feel for weighing 3 ounces of meat and such they are fine.

When looking for a scale I don't look for one that goes up to like 5 pounds, for the most part taht is a feature you won't use too often. I use mine on rare occasions when I weighing an entire recipe to determine how many points are in the whole thing so I know how many points 2 ounces of it is. But I don't do that often enough to care if that is a feature of the scale.

DH is supposed to be buying me one that is accurate to the gram LOL, b/c I am always complaining about my cheap ones. We'll see.
Closed Thread