Old 03-05-2006, 09:11 PM   #1  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Default Weekly Chat 3/6 - 3/12

Morning all

What a horrid start to the week.

We have a public holiday today and I wake up (after sleeping in until 9am!) to find that my one and only pair of shoes have been eaten by my dog i was livid at her. I seriously have a pair of sneakers and this one other pair i use for work and everything else. bugger i don't even know if i can afford another pair at this stage - will have to see tomorrow i suppose.

on the plus side, i weighed in this morning and have put on 0.5kg since my last weigh in 2 weeks ago. again i have done minimal deliberate exercise - it has just been too hot to do anything at the moment - but will go for a walk this afternoon when it cools down a bit. it is supposed to be 38 degrees celcius today (as it was yesterday and the day before that).

i hope everyone had a better weekend than me
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #2  
No more fat mama!

Well it is still Sunday here, and I got 3 pages done in my kiddo's scrapbook! That is good for me since he is constantly bugging me about something. This week is going to be a busy one. My coworker and I are presenting at a conference Friday morning and I don't quite feel ready for it.
bearcatmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:03 PM   #3  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

Hmmm... still on the sick end here but almost done with it all.
I have TOO much work to do tonight.
I can't wait to get healthy and go to the gym and do cardio!
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Daisy, that sucks about your shoes! Luckily my dog has never chewed anything of mine but when we first got him he destroyed a pair of my hubby's $80 work shoes! It's hard to stay mad at them for long though!

Trns, get better already!

This was a good weekend except for the whole diet/exercise thing. We ate out Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. And no cardio Saturday or Sunday. I did do my weights both Friday and Sunday though so that's a good thing.

Hubby gets his stitches out Tuesday. It still looks horrible, I hope it's ready. It still bothers him he walks to much. Today at the mall he had to sit and take a break. Hopefully he heals up soon.

I have a feeling I'm not going to be happy with tomorrow's official weigh-in. Between all the salty food over the weekend, TOM, and sore legs from a new workout plan I must be carrying what, 10, 12 pounds of extra water weight?
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:42 AM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

G'morning all,

This weekend was AWFUL. Warning: BF rant ahead. There was a big event a mile from my house Saturday, kicked off w/ a 5k at 8 AM, event all afternoon, after-party at a friend's at 5:00 after the other stuff was over. Friday night I was resting up b/c I was going to run the 5k. BF & I were supposed to hang out, but he kept calling me and saying he had one more errand or was going to stop by one more person's house. He showed up late, having eaten dinner already w/o me, wanting to go out drinking b/c his boys were in town. I told him to go but I was upset. (It wasn't that he wanted to hang out w/ his friends that upset me, it was that we had made plans and I had cleared my schedule for him and then he ditched me.) And then he woke me up when he came in later, drunk, so I lost a lot of sleep before my 5k.

The next day he was doing stuff at the event, and I knew he had to help clean up after but I didn't realize how long it would take. I was waiting for him to go to the party and I had made a birthday cake for a friend of ours to take. BF didn't get done w/ his chores until 2 hours after the party started, then had to shower. I was again so annoyed, sitting at home waiting for him, that I kept munching despite knowing there would be food at the party, and what would have been a high calorie day anyway turned into a total binge day.

Sunday I was hung over and didn't move from my bed/the couch all day. Then I had ramen noodles for lunch and takeout for dinner = sodium city. Here I am, Monday morning, bloated, still a little pissed at BF.

I did do 2 good things, health-wise, this weekend. I ran the 5k and actually came in first for my age group (20-24). Actually I think I was the only person in my age group. But still. And my house is 1 mile from the event, so instead of driving I walked the puppy back & forth, so I walked 3 miles Saturday too.

Sorry but I just had to get that out. I'm mad at BF and also very mad at myself for not being able to control myself better.

Glad to hear people seem to have had better weekends than me! It is a new week, right? Right. Hopefully.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #6  
Step AWAY from the Cake!

S/C/G: 230/220/145

Morning everyone! Right now I'm at work, bored off my butt like usual. My bf was sick this weekend, so I had to nurse him back to health. Fun fun. He's feeling better now, but let me tell you, it was a rough few days. Seriously, TMI, but vomit everywhere. Yuck.

Saturday we celebrated my grandmom's and my aunt's birthdays at a local steak house, so needless to say my diet went the way of the buffalo. I have a rather large, rowdy, and rude family, so there was of course some good times. It seems like everyone in my family is on a diet (well, quite a few of them are verging on the rotund, so they need it). My one cousin got gastric-bypass surgery a few months ago (we're really worried about him bc he hasn't been eating or exercising like he should), my aunt has lost 20 pounds so far on Weight Watchers, my parents went back on WW after a year-long hiatus, and my sister is trying SBD. Even so, not a single one of us stuck to our plans the other day. Could self-control (or lack thereof) be a genetic trait?

That's about it with me, except that I need to start looking for another job. My current one's just a temp thing, and it's nearing the end (mixed feelings on this). Anyone wanna offer me a job? How about some cash? Just kidding. Anyway, hope you all have a good day.
ncola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:38 AM   #7  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Hola Chicas!

Have a great day today! Forget about the bad weekend choices, and make some great ones Today! You can do it!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:55 AM   #8  

Megan -- congrats on being first in your age group!! The bit about being the only one in your age group... well... it made me laugh my butt off over here

Does anybody around here know anything about the Glycemic Index diet? I'm thinking of switching over to that... It's relatively low-carb, but not just low-carb. I'm a reactive hypoglycemic, so how I feel really depends on exactly which foods I eat, and specifically ones with a high GI will make me feel awful (tired, cranky, irritable, pissy, annoyed.... poor FH ). I'm just wondering if it's going to help me lose weight as well, instead of just helping with my carb-related mood swings. I looked for some low GI diet info on the forums, found a couple of threads but everyone responded "Nope, don't know anything, I'm on low-carb and it's great!" ... but low GI isn't exactly low carb. Hmmm... maybe sugar busters is closer? I have no idea! The only diet I really know anything about is Weight Watchers, and I'm actually really tired of the low-fat thing (I could eat potatoes all day, meet my WW points, and feel awful for a week! It doesn't work for me!).

Anyway, that was a little ramble.
I must get off to class... Italiano! Posso dimagrire! So che possa!! (I can lose weight! I know I can!)
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #9  
Step AWAY from the Cake!

S/C/G: 230/220/145

Britomart-- Try posting on the South Beach Diet forum-- I'm on SBD (I get the hypoglycemia thing, too), and it's all about glycemic index and staying away from "bad" carbs (like white bread and potatoes)-- but it's not a low-carb diet. There are lots of helpful chickies on that forum.

Oh, and check out the Sticky thread on the SBD Frequently Asked Questions forum. There's one that's titled, 'What is the Glycemic Index," and others that explain more about SBD, and even tell you what foods to eat and avoid in the different phases. They're really helpful.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by ncola; 03-06-2006 at 11:08 AM.
ncola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #10  

Thanks so much for the info! I had no idea what SBD was, I thought it was just another low-carb... I'll look into it since it sounds helpful!
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:09 PM   #11  
12 pounds lost in 2006

So I'm still resting my ankle and haven't been to the gym in over a week I haven't been eating well, but I still have been managing to lose weight. BF say's it's because my body has been working hard to get rid of this cold. Who knows. I just know that my muscles are going to hate going back to the gym. But I sooooo want to go and work out. I think I will try Wednesday. It is almost healed now.

Hope you ladies have an OP day!!
mocha74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #12  
Movin' and Losin'

Hey, ladies! Happy Monday!

Megan: I'm sorry about your bad weekend. BF problems are awful. Congrats on coming in first in your age group, though!

Nothing too terribly exciting happened this weekend. We played a lot of softball. Our team lost yet again (twice). Oh, well. I've kind of realized that we will probably always lose. At least I'm still getting exercise, and I get to hang out with BF and friends.

I have an interview for a job tomorrow. It's been a LONG time since I've interviewed -- more than four years. I hope I do OK and remember how to do it! I'd really love a new job!

I think I may be starting to get sick... I hope not. I just don't feel quite like myself. I'm still going to try and get to the gym tonight. I also play in a volleyball league tonight. I guess I'll just see how I feel later this evening to see what I think I can do.

Hope you all have a great week!

Take care,
Jina
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:01 PM   #13  

Hi... I used to be on here a year or more ago.. and recently have come back as I am trying to adjust my attitude to food to be a lot healthier than it was for a while... I still have 5-10lbs to lose I think. But am also starting to consider maintaining where I am as I have had about a month of being a bit all over the show with eating and exercise and haven't gained

Anyway I just wanted to say hello. I'm 25, live in New Zealand and am an engineer for a large international company. I have a bf who I spend a lot of time with. I enjoy walking and weights for exercise, but am currently trying to get into stretching/yoga type training as my body has as much flexibility as a water cracker :O

Anyway I look forward to getting to know you girls a bit better.
Cheers
NBK

p.s Spillthebeans and JDoggmartin I don't know if you remember me, but I remember you guys
HAL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:11 PM   #14  
Moderator.:.20-Somethings

In my neighborhood when you go to the park, instead of seeing other dogs or kids play you come upon someone riding a beautiful horse. My little beagle and a giant stallion. hahaha. It was a great sight.
trnsfrmnreplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #15  
fat fighter

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britomart
Does anybody around here know anything about the Glycemic Index diet? I'm thinking of switching over to that...
I have based my diet around GI/GL. Bascially the concept is to eat foods that are lower on the index and take longer to digest and therefore keep you feeling full for longer and give you energy for longer. ie, instead of having a piece of processed white bread you have wholegrain or pumpernickel which will cause only a small fluctuation in your glucose levels instead of a small burst of energy that will wane within 30 mins after your sugar levels have spiked.

The GI gives an index of carbs and their affect on blood sugar levels. If you go off the Glycemic Index (GI) low GI is 55 or less, medium GI is 56 - 69, and high GI is 70 or more. If you go by Glycemic Load (GL) low GL is 10 or less, medium GL is 11-19 and high GL is 20 or more.

It is a great base for a diet and as a rule of thumb - stay away from processed foods. still eat bread, but eat wholegrain bread or sour dough. limit the intake of potatoes and use basmati or Doongara rice (do you have that in the states?) instead of everyday white rice and alborio. However, keep an eye on fat content as some high fat foods have a low GI but you know that the fat is not good for you either.

The only thing with SBD is that it requires you (should you follow it correctly) to go through a 'detox' phase of carbs. the first 2 weeks you eat little to no carbs and then introduce the good carbs gradually. not my cup of tea having tried it, but everyone is different.

Hope this helps.
Daisy Boo is offline   Reply With Quote