Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 11:08 AM   #1  
Senior Tortoise

Talking Turtle Club #33

Here's Lin's intro:

Hi, Turtle Buddies,

Here it is - my "official" version of the fable:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for about two years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We work toward accepting that our bodies have a natural speed of weight loss when we choose to live a healthy life, instead of "going on a diet". Many of us have experienced "the diets" as go on/lose weight-- go off/ gain the weight plus more back.

We choose to perservere with each choice we make throughout the day. We believe that choosing to be slow, steady turtles helps us to learn the skills we need to learn in order to not only lose the weight, but keep it off and become the healthiest people we can be.

So, welcome to all who realize that losing and maintaining a weight loss is a lifestyle change. And who want support as we all learn the skills we need to successfully make the changes that will allow us to reach our goals.

--Lin (courtesy of Lauren)
Old 07-25-2001, 06:58 PM   #2  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Thank you, Lauren, for starting the new thread.

Judy, I hope all goes well with the birth of that first grandchild. Keep us posted! I like the Richard Simmons tapes, too. But I only do them when the guys aren't around because I feel so self-conscious.

Paul has an interview in Santa Rosa on Tuesday. We're really being positive about this. He really wants the job and we like the location. Chris is pretty much resigned to his fate, I think. He's not ecstatic about moving again, but I think he prefers that his dad have a job, etc. than for us to be living with his grandma or on gov't assistance. Things are looking up and I appreciate all of your good thoughts and helpful, supportive words so much as we 've gone through this. It will be a huge disappointment if it doesn't work out, but we're still sending out resumes, just in case. And we'll deal with that if it happens.

Gotta go. Hope all of you are doing well.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 07-25-2001, 07:40 PM   #3  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Angry

Here's a quicky: I weighed in at WW today and I'm down a pound since last Friday using the Wendie Plan. I am very hopeful. The WW lecturer focused on two main ideas: What is your formula for losing weight/what works for you. And "Before and After". What did you do before with a particular food and what do you do now? For me, it's going LF with as many items as I can. I've found wonderful recipes that others or I have adjusted to slow down on sugar and fat and eat healthier.

Lauren, thanks for starting a new thread. I'm so glad you and I are chopping off the recent weight we gained.

Lin, my thoughts, prayers and good vibes are coming your way to give you support in the job search. I am so proud of you that you can concentrate on eating healthier right now, Calcium, etc. because this is a stressful time. You're doing the right thing.

Everybody, take care--to those viewers, chime in sometimes. It's always good to hear from new people.

Judy
234/thinner
Old 07-26-2001, 10:23 AM   #4  
Senior Tortoise

Lin, I'm so glad Paul has an interview. We'll keep praying.

Judy, way to go on the loss this week! It sure does feel great to get our recently gained weight back off, doesn't it? I'm just a couple pounds from where I was before I went on vacation. My clothes feel *much* better. This time, though, I'm motivated to keep on going. I want these clothes to feel baggy by Christmas.

How have you found working the Wendie plan? Are you having to plan more so that you hit your low-point or high-point days properly? I wonder if the planning itself doesn't do most of the trick. I'm not terribly good at planning (and don't enjoy it). But I am finding that I'm varying my points quite a bit from day to day, and I think that's helping.

My husband is very sad about my taking the kitten back. Did I tell you all about this? He took our two cats to the vet for their regular checkup, and he came home with THREE. There was a kitten there that he couldn't resist. I was very upset about it, though -- I really didn't want a third cat right now. Too much stress in our lives.

So he agreed I could take it back in a couple days (the vet was closed on Tuesday), and during those two days he *really* bonded with that kitten. He did a great job socializing her, getting her used to being with people (she had been wild). She really came out of her shell. But yesterday was the day, and I took her back. He's so sad about it, and I feel awful. I'm tempted to go back and get her, just because he feels so bad.

Anyway. Didn't exercise yesterday or today, and I miss it. It's beautiful outside, though, so I'll go for a walk this evening.

---Lauren
Old 07-26-2001, 07:25 PM   #5  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Judy, congratulations on that loss of a pound this week. Way to go!

I do a lot of the same things with food that you mentioned. I work on revising the recipes I use the most so they use the minimum amount of fat they need in order to still be good. Usually I can cut out most of it. Or use some tricks to allow less to be used. Tricks like tossing the potatoes with oil instead of oiling the pan when I'm making oven french fries. A tablespoon will crisp up a whole batch, but it takes about 4 tablespoons when you oil the pan.

Lauren, I think it's a great idea to work on baggier clothes by Christmas. That's a very achievable goal, especially with the exercise you're doing. Hope you enjoy your walk.

If you go back and get that kitten, do you think your dh would take responsibility for caring for it? Or is it just too much in general right now for another pet? I feel bad for your dh. It's really hard to give up a pet, even if you've only just gotten to know the animal. We had that happen once. We found a kitten up in a tree. It was over a weekend and the Humane Society was closed. We got permission to keep it in our apartment over the weekend, but we got totally attached to him and we kept him. We moved before it became a problem and the cat, one of the smartest cats we ever had, used to hide under the bed if the manager knocked on the door. He didn't do that if it was anyone else.

Things are going about the same with me. I'm getting to PMS time and with the stress it's going to be difficult. The calcium is helping. So, I'll just keep doing what I need to do. Thanks so much for your prayers and positive vibes. The drive is about 3 1/2 hours, one way, from here. Paul will be doing that drive, an interview, and driving back in one day. I worry a little, but I'm sure he'll be OK.

Gotta go fix dinner. It's mostly leftovers. I just have to make rice and heat up the rest of the stuff. Easy. But I also have to finish baking the bread I started.

Talk to you all later.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 07-27-2001, 01:09 AM   #6  

Hi Turtles!!!

Got back from my annivrsary night on the 25th, and I must say, it was the best anniversary every..my husband was so attentive..He even got us the room witht he big tub (but didn't go in, but I did, twice..) It was a very special time for us..I bought a really nice black dress, knit with a embroydered flower on it. when I picked it up i decided it prob wouldn't fit, they never do at Mervyns..there xL is like Med in other stores...Anyway, it fit and it looked good. Oh you can see a roll or two, but it made me feel pretty, like I was going to a prom...The dinner was out of this world...

Lin when Paul get the Santa Rosa job, you need to go to Bodega Bay for the weekend/night...that is where we went..Bodega Bay Inn and Spa...It is a very easy drive From Santa rosa...and yes we will definetly meet in SR...!!! that would be great...Anyone else in No Calif that want to join us???

I weighed in tonight, I didn't want to..I was ascared!!! but I did ok..I lost 1 lb!!! It made me very happy. So now I have lost 4 lbs altogether..yea...I will do good next week too. Am working lots of swing shift's so I will get to go to the gym in the morning hours. So I will lose!!! Of course tom should be here soon, but I will lose anyway!!! I have determination!!! And i will try the Wendie way myself...

Happy WW eating !!!

Kathy
Old 07-27-2001, 07:46 PM   #7  
Chick

Angry

Lin,
Good luck to you and Paul about his job interview. I've got good feelings about this one. Yeah, thanks for the extra tips about oiling potatoes instead of pan. That's a great idea. It's so good that you started the turtles and we can all help each other.
You've got great advice about LF cooking that helps us all.

Lauren,
Oh my goodness. I don't know what I would do if I were you and the dh and kitty situation. Tough decision. Do what your heart tells you to do--and let common sense prevail. How's that for hedging? Yes, I am so thrilled that my backward journey in WW may be over for now. It is great to get the weight I regained so quickly off. It's taking me longer than I would like, but that has to be okay for now. At least I'm heading in the right direction. As far as the Wendie Plan, I planned four menus for the lowest point meals. The high end meals are not tough at all as you can imagine. All other menus I plan basically that morning. As far as planning ahead, I point out the week in my spiral notebook that I'm using for journalling. I turn to the next page in the morning and check out the points I can have for the day. On a low point day, I start with a lower point breakfast and lunch and make sure I fill in with veggies so I don't get hungry or resentful. On the medium point days, I'll throw in a fruit or another type of snack. On the high ends, I'll probably eat out or try pasta and meat. Last week on the high end day, I had company and it worked out great. I did have to flip my Sat. and Sun. points, but I still lost weight. I am so hopeful that I can do this. Yes, it does feel more like a "diet" than what I've been doing, but what I've been doing hasn't been working. Now I'd like to get this weight off and then I feel I can maintain by not detailing my points quite as structured as this plan. We'll see. I'm not crossing that bridge until I reach it.

Harley,
Weigh to go! You are really doing great. It seems to me that you joined such a short time ago and here you are, down 4 pounds already. Good for you.

Everybody,
Keep on writing . It's such fun to hear from you. Good luck to us all in all that we are attempting. We're all trying to get a healthier lifestyle no matter what obstacles life throws at us.
Judy
234/thinner
Old 07-28-2001, 01:10 PM   #8  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Kathy, I absolutely love Bodega Bay. That was where Paul and I ended up on one of our first dates. I took away his map and his watch and told him to just drive. We ended up on the Northern California coast. We had a picnic lunch in Bodega Bay. It was fun. Even he admitted it was fun, but he still hates not knowing the time or where he is. He's a techie through and through. (He later told me he sneaked a peek at the map when I was in the ladies room.)

Congratulations on that 1 pound gone. Super job!

Judy, it sounds like you're really doing a good job of planning so the Wendie plan works for you. It also sounds like you're being reasonable in how you use it by being flexible when you need to.

Paul had another phone interview, this time with a company in Seattle. The money would be good and it's close to his mother in Tacoma. But there are a bunch of other issues that make it a good backup choice, but we really want the job in Santa Rosa. I'll keep you posted on the continuing saga of Lin's efforts to get her life and family back together.

I've been surfing the web and found a somewhat disappointing thing. I wish things had worked out that we could have moved to the Napa Valley area a few years ago. They have a high school that would be perfect for Chris. It's technology-oriented, especially graphics. And it's project-oriented in it's work style--hand on, exactly the way he learns. But he's too close to graduating to transfer there. He couldn't finish his regular requirements plus the extra requirements of the school. He would have a much higher GPA if he had been able to go to a school like that. Oh, well. That's the way life goes sometimes.

Gotta go. I'm using up pantry stuff so we won't have to throw away a lot of food when we move. I'm making a baked bean recipe that takes all day in the oven. So, if we're going to eat dinner tonight, I'd better get cooking.

Happy turtlin'!

Lin
Old 07-28-2001, 06:44 PM   #9  
Senior Tortoise

Tortoise beings,

It's always so good to come here and see you all. I hope one day we really can meet in person.

Kathy, I loved the description of your wonderful anniversary. It sounded marvelous. Good for you on the dress! I'll bet you were beautiful.

Judy, that's so encouraging about how well you're doing working the plan. I'm impressed with your planning ahead. I'm still not quite ready to do that, so I think I'll save that for a plateau. But I do find that mixing up my points really helps, so I think Wendie must be onto something.

Lin, wow, Seattle! Sounds like things are starting to move for your husband now and that it's only a matter of time before he gets a good job. Here's hoping the time schedule works out well for you. What's in the baked bean recipe?

Phil has managed to recover his spirits, so I'm now glad I held out and returned the kitten. She's in good hands (this vet only sees cats, and she and her staff are very good at socializing kittens for adoption), and I'm sure she'll find a good home. I'll call in a week or two and see how she's doing. Maybe.

Lin, it wasn't so much that I thought taking care of her physical needs would be a lot of added stress. I just get so involved with animals (and people); it's like my radar is always on, always tuning in to what those around me are thinking/feeling/going through. Because that takes a lot out of me, I try to keep my socializing down to a minimum when I'm stressed in other ways. My job is extremely social; my relationship with Phil is always challenging (good, but challenging), and most of the time these days I dream of going off somewhere by myself for a month to re-charge. The thought of adding another emotional drain was just too much. This probably makes no sense to someone who's not an introvert at heart.

I'm still doing well on points -- ate way over my points (49!) a couple days ago, so ate slightly under (22) yesterday. Today will be normal. I'm also excited about what I accomplished today. I bought some walking CDs -- music that sets a pace for walking or working out. Someone on this list or Dotti's recommended them. Today I tried the 4.5 miles in 1 hour CD -- and I completed it! I walked in the house (which the cat found fascinating) -- zipping around the living room, dining room, kitchen, and stairs -- and alternated walking with other aerobic steps (lunging, grapevines, kicks, knee-lifts, etc.). So I have no idea if I really did the equivalent of a 4.5-mile walk in 60 minutes, but it sure felt like it! Fun music. Next time, I'll try it outdoors, though probably with one of the slightly slower ones.

It feels so good to be getting fit. I've been exercising now regularly for about 7 months -- my longest ever! And I've finally got to the point where I miss it if I don't do it for several days.

Hope you're all enjoying your weekend. How are our lurkers doing?

--Lauren
Old 07-29-2001, 10:11 AM   #10  
Chick

Angry

Hi All!
Great to hear from everybody. I'm really glad I joined this group because it helps for friendship and keeping focused.

Lauren,
I am amazed at how you have been exercising for so long now. That indoor tape sounds like a lot of fun. Exercising doing most anything for an hour has to be a huge help. Good for you.

I've been doing well here. I'm right on top of the points and still using Wendie's Plan. I haven't been getting the exercise in, so I hope to start again today. Interesting: yesterday was the highest point day for me. I structured the week so my highest points fall on Sat. But my hands are all swollen today. I would guess that's water retention from salt. We had Italian Takeout last night , yummy-= but the salt was super high. So, today I'll drink lots and lots of water .

We're still waiting for the "You're a Grandma" call and it's very exciting.

Everybody take care--and keep on turtlin'

Judy 234/thinner
Old 07-29-2001, 12:19 PM   #11  

Hi turtles, sorry it's been so long since I checked in!

Lin--Good luck with your husband's job! DH says he sees signs that the industry is starting to move again, let's hope that means they BOTH get jobs ASAP!

Lauren--I understand TOTALLY what you're talking about, wanting to just go away for a month and recharge. Out bathtub has a sliding door on it, and when I have the door closed it's the rule NOT to bother me. I'm the world's biggest introvert, I think! Good for you for keeping your emotional health in your sites.

Judy--SO???? Are you a grandma????

I made the decision that I was going to do 123 wholeheartedly, instead of WP halfheartedly. I've also cut WAY back on my workouts, 1/2 hour a day max. Seems to be working--on my home scale I've lost 5 pounds in 10 days, even with TOM imminent! Fingers crossed!
Old 07-29-2001, 05:35 PM   #12  
Chick

Angry

Hey Mousie,
Glad to hear from you and that you're doing well. I think you're smart to do 123 well. For some reason I let the lower points of WP throw me and I messed up for months before getting on Wendie's Plan. Glad you're okay. I missed you. Also glad to hear industry is turning around. That's so important.
No, I'm not a grandma yet, but it should be any day now.
234/thinner
Old 07-29-2001, 11:23 PM   #13  

Is this your first grandchild, Judy? I'm sorry if you've mentioned it before, I can't recall. In my family we have one child, my nephew. My parents love their grandson dearly and spoil him rotten, and keep looking to my sister and I for our "contributions". Unfortunately, my sister's having difficulty conceiving and my husband and I aren't planning to start our family for about 4 more years (til I'm through with my Master's degree). I keep telling them I'm only 26, I have PLENTY of time to multiply, but they keep casting hopeful eyes at us anyway. The other day I was at their house and came down with a touch of food poisoning, and my mom hopefully suggested that it might be morning sickness!

I had a difficult talk with myself, last week. I finally admitted that the things I had been trying to do--the ways I had been trying to cheat the program--weren't working. I think, actually, what made me finally admit it was your comment, "Certainly overeating and whining about it isn't working." It wasn't directed specifically at me, of course, but it had an impact anyway! I wrote and wrote and wrote and got all my frustration out, and admitted everything, and made some resolutions. Which, btw, have been going brilliantly well. I know all through these last 6 months I've been saying the same thing, but it feels like it really happened this time. I'm back at 123 instead of trying to sneak around WP, and more importantly I've admitted that I have to do this for the rest of my life. I can't just call it quits and hope to hold on. I will ALWAYS have to pay attention. And DH, bless him, can have as many fits as he likes and spout about how Southern Californian women are too thin as much as he wants. ME getting MY weight under control is important to ME, and it always will be.

So, I didn't get a chance to get to a meeting last week, I got a call at about 7:30am the day of my meeting to the effect that my grandfather and great uncle were expected in town that evening. So I skipped my meeting to go see them, but they never showed up. The rest of the meetings that week were either during class or work hours, so I had to call it a miss for the week. BUT, this thursday night is clear, darn it, and I'll make it.

I'm still here, don't forget me! Even if I don't write too often, I read everything and think all of you are marvelous!
Old 07-30-2001, 12:08 PM   #14  
Returning Member

Yo turtle buds!

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, but I'm glad to see that everyone is doing well - lots of losses in the weight department and lots of gains in the life department for everyone!

I had a loss two weigh-ins ago, down 4 lbs to 284. Then I went home and took a pregnancy test because I was almost a week late, and it came up positive! I stopped taking the pill almost a year ago and we were careful for a while, but we we took some chances and nothing happened for months, so I stopped worrying about it and we wanted to have one eventually anyway, so we stopped being careful. So I guess we were trying to get pregnant, but not being very methodical about it.

Anyway, I'm a little worried about my weight. I'm REALLY HAPPY I've lost almost 50 pounds. I'm going to the ob on Thursday, and my family doctor says not to worry, that my health is excellent otherwise, so my goal right now is not to gain much weight and to eat well and exercise (moderately). At my last weigh-in I stayed the same, and I would be delighted with that for the next couple of months. We're due March 25 and I'll keep checking in, wish us luck!

Thanks,
Kimmers
332/284/healthy pregnancy

PS - does anyone have experience being pregnant or know someone who has been when they're 50 - 100 lbs (or more) overweight?
Old 07-30-2001, 04:44 PM   #15  
Senior Tortoise

Congratulations, Kimmers!! That's wonderful!! I'm sure your OB can tell you what to expect and help you along. Here's a link I just found about plus-size pregnancy: http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/plussizepregnanc/ No idea what's there, but maybe it'll help. Keep in touch! You can certainly still exercise, so that will help.

Mousie, great to see you, as always. Good for you, having that hard talk with yourself. I love your "don't bother me zone" in the shower! That's great. Mine is the front porch on Saturday mornings. I take a book out there, and DH leaves me alone. It's heavenly.

Judy, I can feel your excitement from here! Is this your first grandkid? Italian food always salts me up, too. Hopefully that will pass quickly. Try lemon juice in your water.

Not much new here. I walked 2 miles this morning (with video), points are fine. I'm debating using my banked points today or just letting them go (they expire tomorrow, since I banked them almost a week ago). We'll see if I'm hungry tonight.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Closed Thread