Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-04-2006, 09:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Default My knee is killing me....

okay, well, not really killing me, but when i walk it does have pain in it. I have been jogging and now, my knee is giving me problems. it's on the inner side of my knee. i don't notice it too bad when i am actually jogging....it doesn't keep me front jogging, but it does hurt. i am wondering if i maybe have some fluid built up in there. but i don't want to stop jogging. i know that jogging is a great way to firm up the lower body faster than walking. besides, i just can't get my one mile walk in below 20 minutes. shoot, even with jogging i can only bring it in to about 17 minutes. i must be a slow walker?? i don't know, i just can't get it any faster. should i try putting ice on my knee when i'm home or a heating pad?? anyone got any ideas???
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #2  
210 / 193 / 140

Ice sounds right, although I don't really know much about first aid. However, when I was younger and had to run as part of my military training, I too had knee problems from it. The doctor said it was a result of weak quadriceps (the muscle on the front of the thigh). He prescribed quad sets and straight leg lifts to strengthen the muscles, which did seem to help some. If you'd like to give them a try, these exercises are described at http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/ug2544/ug2553 .
Margarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #3  

wow, thanks for the link. those sound like some great excerisizes i can do at home. i did take the weekend off from walking and jogging, and it feels alittle better this morning. i also took some ibuprofin instead of tylenol today. that way if there is any inflammation, the advil works better for it than tylenol.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi,

I've been dealing w/pain in my knee for about a year now. Ice it after you workout for about 20 mins. And yes the advil is better the tylenol. Be careful, because the one thing that the doctor said to me was that I could make it worse by ignoring it. Also try building up your quad muscle, straight leg lifts seemed to help me too.

Bottom line, if it gets really bad, don't wait too long to see an doc.

Good luck!
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:25 AM   #5  

thanks for the advice. and i did take the advil this morning and i don't even feel it hurting anymore. i can walk on it like normal. but i do think i'll take a break on the jogging for awhile. i'll see how the cardio classes work on it and definately work on some of those excersizes. and here i thought it was the muscles in the back of my thighs and inner thighs that needed much more training. i felt like they were getting ignored when most of the excersize seemed to work the front thigh muscles.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi again,

I would try some less high-impact cardio for a little bit, like the elipticle machine or the arc machine.

After 8 months of physical therapy for my knee, this is what I've learned, remembering my problem may be totally different than yours, but from what I've seen most people w/knee injuries do alot of the same exercises in PT.

Straight Leg lifts
Leg press
Ham string curl
Abduction

This is really general.
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote