Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/263/125

Talking hi :)

Hi, I'm new here, just joined a few days ago.

I was just wondering...how many people are on more than one med for mental health's sake? I'm finally down to 4 after several years of 8 or more, and I still feel like a walking pharmacy. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea which one causes which side effect, it's really hard to function.

For those of you on lithium - has it made you gain, lose, neutral? For people on Wellbutrin...do you take it in the morning, or at night? Same questions for Lamictal and Prozac?

*waves again*
corayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:34 AM   #2  

hi corayay

i've been on lithium and i gained weight. probably because i was so zonked out all the time. i used to be on 3 meds for mental health - celexa, depakote and lithium. but then i had enough and stopped them all. i restarted on celexa and found i was better than when i was on all 3. more recently i have swapped the celexa for efexor but not sure i like it

for the side effects i suggest you read up about the meds. you can google them all. also i read remedyfind.com and looked at patient ratings. that was how i found out that risperdal was causing me to lactate. noone had mentioned that as a side effect
sweet_pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:09 AM   #3  

Wellbutrin - I take it in the morning, but I'm only on 150 mg now. Soon I'll be taking one in the morning and another at night. It's a GREAT med!
Peanut_butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:50 AM   #4  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

I know what you feel about being a walking pharmacy!! I not only have drugs for depression, but I've got inhalers for asthma, birth control and skin creams for acne, and I have to take multivitamins because I'm borderline anemic. Whee!! Some days I feel so overmedicated. It seems to be working okay, though.
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

Hi There,
I Take Effexor, And Topamax And Klonapan As Needed For Panic Attacks...hope That Helps........
And Birth Control
And Allergy Medication
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #6  

Hello. My mom takes lithium and lamictal and has stayed even weight wise. She's been on those for several years but has now added ritalin so she's dropping weight.

I take Lamictal (200mgs) along with Effexor(225mgs) in the evening as they make me feel sleepy after a couple hours. I take ritalin 3x a day as well.

No experience with prozac, but I did take Wellbutrin(300mgs) for awhile...I took it at night, it completely knocked me out. It also made me into a raving "you know what". Awful stuff for me!

I hope you find a combo that works for you, you've made such progress getting them down to 4. That's great! It's real tough to know what causes what and when, esp. when you take one, get a side affect, they put you on another to counteract that side affect, and so on..... just do lots of reading and research everything, you'll find lots of help online for sure. Good luck!
desertdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote