WW Clubs and Groups - Fabulous Forties #65

View Full Version : Fabulous Forties #65

Joyce
07-24-2001, 03:54 PM
Hi yall!

My response on #64 was page two so I thought I'd begin the new thread. Have a great day!

Gotta run.

Joyce

Jenny523
07-24-2001, 04:25 PM
While I had intended my last post to be encouragement for Essie, who mentioned that she was struggling, it turned out to be a bit of soul-searching/complaining. And all of you, Terri, Myra, Joyce, were so very supportive.

I've been up and down the scales so many times. I know I will be successful eventually. Meanwhile I'll continue to check in here every day, and keep on plugging. I feel that I've made good friends here. :angel:

Thanks!

~Jen

Thank you Jen. Good luck and remember we are here.

Myra,
Yes, I believe everyone is different. I myself need to be not stressed and those women weighing me stressed me out.
I know, for me, I need to really want it to be successful and since I have turned 40 it has totally changed. I really want it. It has kept me from gaining during my plateau earlier. Plateaus used to do me in and I gained. This time I kept at it and tried different things during plateaus and finally something worked.
I think I have licked the thought that the scale was my motivator.
I know the only reason I was successful was because of weighing in. If I had to skip a weigh-in I would gain because I knew I didn't have to weigh-in. I feel I am over that. Thank God.
I think that I have personally licked the fear of that scale. I kind of look forward to it on Sat. mornings when I get up and weigh. If it is not down I think "Oh well keep at it."

TTYL,
Terri

mpinkham
07-24-2001, 10:07 PM
Jen, I know you will be successful. Just hang in there! :)

Hi all!
It is Bruce's and my 19th anniversary today. He sent me flowers and 3 cards and we were going to dinner but I asked if we could wait til Saturday so I can use my banked points. I want a romantic atmosphere. :lol:

Hope everybody's day was good.

:wave:
Terri

Joyce
07-25-2001, 12:15 AM
Happy 19th Anniversary Terri! :) Have a very romantic Saturday evening. ;) Flowers...mmm..let's see it's been about 5 years since I got those. But I must admit he spoils me in many other ways. :D

Yes, husbands have all different ways to spoil. I like the other ways too. :devil:
Thanks for the H.A. :D
Terri

mpinkham
07-25-2001, 10:40 AM
I just took my measurements and I couldn't believe the results! Since the end of May I lost 3 inches on my bust, 5 inches on my waist and 2 inches on my hips. This is definitely because of a combination of weight training, aerobics and portion control. I'm finally doing well on all three and it is showing. This is so motivating. Hopefully tonight the scale will be as kind to me.

Jenny523
07-25-2001, 11:35 AM
Terri, Happy Belated Anniversary! Enjoy your night out on Saturday. :love:

Myra, those figures are absolutely great! You deserve a big pat on the back! :D Wow, that's 10 inches....good going.

have a great day everyone

~Jen

Thanks Essie and Jen. It was a nice quiet anniversary. We will celebrate Saturday.

Great job Myra! I have to measure myself. Haven't done that in a loooong time. Good luck tonight.

Terri

Joyce
07-25-2001, 04:46 PM
Hi everyone :wave:

Myra - 10 inches that is fantastic :D Keep up the good work!

mpinkham
07-25-2001, 07:30 PM
Just came back from my meeting. I lost 1.2 lbs. bringing the grand total to 12.8 and I am actually nearing the 160s, a place I haven't seen for several years now. I feel so good.

Congrats Myra! That is wonderful. You will see the 60's soon girl! {{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}
Terri

decemberdianne
07-26-2001, 11:15 AM
hello :wave: my buddies

Terri - Happy belated anniversary! Enjoy your romantic evening on Saturday.

Myra - congrats, girl - you are doing an amazing job :smug: I can imagine how good that feels (I think I remember that feeling:s:, but its been awhile).

Jen - how are you doing, my friend? We all know this is a daily struggle and some days/weeks/months for that matter are better than others. But, we are here and taking one day at a time, that's all I can do anyway. I think the tools are built into our brains, so most times we remember to use them. That keeps us from going totally off program, don't ya think? :^:

Hi to Essie, Joyce and Patti/Zoe. Have a great day everyone.

Hugs,
Dianne

Hi Dianne. Thanks so much for the wishes. It is great hearing from you. How is everything?
Has anyone heard from Patti/Zoe?
Terri

JanieD
07-26-2001, 01:26 PM
HI,

I am a newbie to these types of forums. I have been a Lifetime WW member for about 5 years after having lost 25 lbs after the birth of my daughter (now 7). Unfortunately I failed pretty miserably at maintenance. I'm 43 now, and as of Jan 1, 2001 I had 34 lbs to loose to get back to goal weight. Starting in Jan, I had lost 9 lbs or so in 4 months (which seemed rediculously slow to me, it used to come off so much easier). I went on vacation in April (and I didn't really cheat too much) and it all came back in 10 days. This left me very discouraged. I had been oscillating up and down about 5 lbs until 2 weeks ago.

2 weeks ago I drew a line in the sand (Maybe I'll tell you why in another thread) and I have lost 5 lbs in those 2 weeks. I don't know why I am psychologically able to succussfully diet at some times and not at others. Maybe all of you have some insight to that one? I have been looking for an online support group and I hope that I have found one here.

Hugs,
JanieD
Livermore, CA

Welcome JanieD,
Nice to meet you.
You are so normal and we will help you as I know you will help us. A new perspective on things really help. I am a lifetime member also. I gained back my weight + after 3 kids. I am 42 now and it finally clicked with me and I am sure it will with you too. Are you doing meetings or at home?
As far as the psychological aspect I am not sure but all I know it is normal. That is why it is so hard. Support and persevearance is the only way to go. Good luck to you and stay with us.
I started at 194.6 last year and now I am 148 and my goal is 135. It will be a lifelong struggle and we have to remember this is for life. We will always have to watch. Our fat cells just shrink. They never just go away. I'd give mine a big farewell party if they did. :lol:
TTYL,
Terri

mpinkham
07-26-2001, 02:25 PM
Welcome Janie!

Hopefully we can supply the support you need. I know this board has helped me a lot.

JanieD
07-26-2001, 03:39 PM
Terri,

I am doing WW at home this time. I weigh myself in on Wed Mornings.

I notice several of you are from LI. I grew up there, in Oakdale (South SHore, Suffolk County).
I moved away in 1985. Sure do miss the beaches, although right now I wouldn't want to get into a swim suit.

-JanieD
Livermore, CA

Joyce
07-26-2001, 05:17 PM
Hello everyone :wave:

Welcome Janie. I'm sure you will find encouragement & support here. We have all been through what you are going through. It's great to be able to come here to be with others and share our thoughts & feelings without fear of criticism.

Myra - You are doing so good. Your example just shows me that if I stick to the plan and exercise it works. Thanks for the encouragement. :)

I did not make my meeting Tuesday night. It's the first time I've missed since joining. I did not get back from town in time - plus I felt terrible (TOM..). My scale shows I'm doing okay though.

Terri - WOW! :eek: I did not realize how much you have lost. That is so great. Since I'm starting at 235 your success shows me how much I can lose in a year.

Well I've got to run - have a great day everyone.

Joyce

Thanks Joyce. I could have lost all of it by now but I got stuck in a plateau there for awhile. I hate when that happens. Yes, you can do it. Think in terms of small goals. Getting into each set of numbers. Like getting to 229, and then 219,209 and then the wonderful 100's. That is a nice milestone. Reward yourself for every so many pounds. We'll have fun on the way down.

JanieD.
Good luck on Wed. I weigh on Saturdays.

Hi Myra (doing great), Dianne, Jen & Essie
Terri

JanieD,
I am not really the leader. Essie, you are too sweet! :o
I just love this group. We have all been through and have done so much.
Diane,
When is Alana coming back?

Myra,
What is 5HTP again? My memory isn't doing to well either.

Janie,
I also wanted to tell you that Myra started a journal if you want to journal your food over there. It is in this forum under my name this time. Points. Fabulous 40's journal.

Bye All!
Terri

mpinkham
07-26-2001, 08:34 PM
Essie, I know. Isn't that 5-HTP great! I don't know how much of my success is due to that supplement and how much is me, but ever since I've been taking it I have been in so much better control.

Terri, 5-HTP is an herbal based supplement that helps raise serotonin levels that have been battered by long-term stress. It works great for stress related depression, helps stop binge eating and carb craving and helps with stress-related insomnia. I have an article from Natural Health I'll e-mail to you. That is where I first heard of it. I am its biggest saleswoman since I started taking it.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Thank you so much Myra! I believe in supplements. Bruce takes some and they have helped him so much.

Essie,
You are so funny. I'll be your leader anytime. :D

Terri

Joyce
07-27-2001, 04:39 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

Essie - I've been going to meetings since the end of April. I started at 235.8 and now I'm at 227.4 not much but I'm happy. I was going to TOPS last year 6/00 and went from 226 to 239. So you can see I'm very happy to see the results so far from WW.

My birthday is in November. I will be 42 this year. I have @ 95 pounds to lose for those of you who are new. This is my highest weight in my entire life. The most I have ever gained and lost is 35 pounds (only once). Until then I just battled the same 10-15 pounds all the time. Now I feel like I'm in the fight for my life. (literally!) I feel like I went through a breakdown 4 years ago with my husbands accident & my work stress. Since then I've just been trying to get back to normal. If there is such a thing :?:

That 5-HTP sounds great I think I'll check it out this week.

Terri - We're so glad to have you ;)

Hope everyone is doing great. Zoe/Patti we miss you.

Joyce

Jenny523
07-27-2001, 11:22 AM
Hi girls!

Myra, I'm so impressed, you're progressing so well. The 5-HTP is sounding better every day, you've convinced me to give it a try.

Dianne, thanks for the encouragement. You put it well when you said the tools are always in our brains. I think that's why I've been maintaining at least.....I'm subconciously counting points.

Went to the dentist yesterday for a checkup and cleaning...the receptionist joined WW way back in January (when I was so focused, remember? ) ...and she looks great! She quit going to meetings after the first 6 weeks....and on her own has gone from 170 lbs. to 114. I couldn't believe how beautiful she looked; and get this, no more blaming it on age for me....she's in her early 50's, at least. She told me that she simply made up her mind to lose the weight before she got old, and to live the rest of her life as a thin person.

Janie......Welcome :wave: As you can already tell, you've come to the right spot, this is the most supportive group of women! A little bit about me--I'm from the Chicago area, 48 (I believe I'm the "oldie" of the group), mom of 2 (27 and 22) and gram of 2 boys (5 and 1). I'm currently "retired" and am enjoying being at home. I lost 32 pounds 2 years ago on WW and kept it off. I've been stuck at 222 since then and continue to "play" with the program: I lose 2, gain 2..... I know without a doubt that if it wasn't for this site, I would have gained that back. Instead I keep coming here for support, and have been on again, off again......and everyone here keeps smiling and telling me I can do it:D :D Anyhow.....glad you're here, I look forward to getting to know you.

Tomorrow we've got our annual family picnic. We began it about 5 years ago, with about 40 people. As of this year, I had to get a permit for 100 people! It's lots of work, but fun.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.......HI to Essie, Terri, and Patti! :wave:

~Jen

JanieD
07-27-2001, 01:17 PM
HI everyone,

Thank you so much for making me feel so welcome. I look forward to sharing a lot of successes with all of you.

Essie,

I have a funny little story about Brookhaven Hospital. That is where my mom and my husband, Steve, met. I had been in a car accident on Nichols Road and the ambulance took me to Brookhaven. When I got to the hospital I naturally called both my mom and my boyfriend (at the time). They both came to see me and my mother actually asked me "Why did you call HIM?", right in front of him. They still get along great.;) Why do you think we moved to California?

-JanieD

mpinkham
07-27-2001, 01:23 PM
Off the wall question for you, Janie. Are you involved with the national lab there or is it just a coincidence that you used to live near Brookhaven and now live in Livermore? I used to do some freelance pr for Brookhaven National Laboratory and as a reporter talk to people at several of the national labs. I hope you don't mind me asking.

Joyce,
What accident? Is he ok? My husband feel out of our tree house last year (Right before I re-joined) while making it for the boys and broke his leg in 3 places and they did emerg. surgery and he still has a rod in it and it is so painful still. I hope your husband is ok?
Glad you are here too. You are doing great. I went to TOPS a few yrs. ago and it wasn't strict enough. Our leader never lost a pound the whole time I was there. It was fun though.

Jen,
That is great about the receptionist. You are doing great too. Have fun with the family get together.

JanieD.,
Too funny about why you went to California. Good luck!!!!

Hi Essie, Dianne and Myra!

Terri
194.6/148/135

JanieD
07-27-2001, 07:45 PM
Myra,

No coincidence. I do work at Lawrence Livermore NAt LAb. Although I didn't work at Brookhaven, my graduate thesis advisor at Stony BRook collaborated with Brookhaven all the time.

Everybody,

Now I am sure you all want to know what I do:?:. I am an Atmospheric Chemist. My research is involved with air pollution and climate change. I do almost all of my work on giant supercomputers running model simulations of the atmosphere.

My husband (who I met at Stony Brook) is a Physics and Astronomy Professor at a local college. Yes
we do have unusual pillow talk LOL

Have a great weekend everyone. See you Monday.

Hugs,
JanieD
Livermore, CA