Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #1  
Fish on the Lose

S/C/G: 214/214/200 march goal

Question Is "any" exercise better than no exercise?

Ok, I am broke. As much as I would like to join a gym it is not in the question. So here is my question. I recienty aquired a Gazelle Freestyle, and have started useing seriously this past week. My first use of it was over a month ago and that is really the only time I have felt sore after useing it. (you know that oh i worked out mild soreness you get a few hours later.) I did not get the instructional video as it came from a friend so I am useing the "speedometer" and my breathing as a guide. Over the last 3 weeks I have worked my way up to 25 mins and averageing 2 MPH faster than the day I started. I can "feel the burn " when I am useing it but not after. All of my life I have worked physical jobs, most requireing that I routenly lift and move 60 to 100 pound objects. Is it possible that I am still burning fat on this machine, without haveing the "achy" muscle syndrom afterwards? My goal in this machine was strickly cardo. And a small first step to actually working out. (I have tried several gyms and left feeling that it was just not for me.) Additionally does anyone reccomend a true eliptical machine? I am looking to replace this machine in the fall, that is if I can stay motivated. Thanks
Scubagomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #2  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I'm sure you're burning calories. Do you breathe faster on the machine then when just moving around the house? Have you checked your heart rate right when you come off the machine? Those two things will give you an idea of whether or not you're getting a decent workout. You're seeing progress in that you're going faster and further than before, another good sign that the workout is doing something.

I run about 25 miles/week. I rarely get sore from it any more. I get sore if I run signifacantly faster or further than usual, but other than that, I go out, do an easy run and go on with my day. No significant recovery or soreness. But, I know that I'm getting a workout and burning calories--my breathing and heartrate are increased during the workout. And my legs look better than they ever have in my life. So I know it's doing something.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #3  
Meg

Hi Scuba! Welcome to 3FC!

There are basically two kinds of exercise -- cardio exercise that elevates and sustains your heart rate for a period of time and strength training that builds your muscles (also called resistance training, weightlifting etc - it's all the same thing). Cardio exercise is your main calorie burner while you're losing weight, while strength training builds and maintains your muscle mass. Muscles burn calories AND help you look tight and toned when you reach your goal, so both cardio and weights are essential parts of an exercise program.

The 'achey' muscle feeling that you describe is usually only experienced when you're working out with weights because that's when you're stressing and building your muscles. It's called DOMS - delayed onset muscle soreness - and it usually hits about 24 hours after a weight workout. But sometimes people will get an ache when they start exercising or use unfamiliar muscles for the first time - sounds like that's what may have happened to you when you started?

Yes, you are most definitely burning fat when you use the Gazelle! An achey or burning feeling is not a necessary part of cardio exercise. The Gazelle is cardio exercise, not strength training, and works by elevating your heart rate and burning calories. You say that your goal is purely cardio and that's exactly what the Gazelle is. An achey or burning feeling has nothing to do with how many calories you're burning -- a much better gauge of progress is how high you get your heart rate. It sounds like you're doing just fine.

In addition to the Gazelle, how about adding in some strength training? Since you're too broke to join a gym, can you work in any weightlifting exercise at home? Do you have any dumbbells or other exercise equipment?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #4  
Fish on the Lose

S/C/G: 214/214/200 march goal

Default Thanks

Ty both for the replys. I havent been able to pin down my heart rate. The little montier thing (a thumb pulse) included with this is definately not accurate. I have twice estimated my pulse after finishing to be 87 and 92. I guage my breathing by tha fact that i can talk (sing to the mp3 player or tell myself just x mins more) but I probibly could not say a whole sentance. As for the wieght part, I move freight for a living. Last time I placed something I felt was heavy on the scale we use, it weighted in at 112 pounds. This I lifted 3 1/2 from the floor. (leg lifts) Most things i lift average 5 to 50 pounds. Not really a workout per say but I am trying to take small steps I can stick with. It took a year to get to where I was realy to add cardio. What would be a good target heart rate to start with? And how early into my gazelle time should I aim for this rate? Right now I try for 5 mins at 4 MPH (the speed i aveaged on my first round), 5 mins at 5MPH, 5 mins at 6, then back to 5 mins at 5 MPH and cool down the last 5 mins back at 4. I wasnt given the videos with this thing so I am kinda winging it as I go.
Scubagomer is offline   Reply With Quote