Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 09:52 AM   #1  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Thumbs down Everyday Exercisers ~ Tuesday

Welcome to Everyday Exercisers -- a daily thread that focuses on healthy weightloss and overall fitness through regular exercise. Our goals are to stay active, stay hydrated, and make healthy eating choices. We share our exercise plans for the week, and check in each day to share our progress...and our set-backs. Here you'll find a supportive and encouraging environment in which to pursue your fitness goals, and a community of people who share your commitment to fitness and provide motivation and inspiration to each other. Welcome!
Old 07-24-2001, 10:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Default 21 consecutive days of exercise for me!

I was thinking that anyone who exercises - lurker or not - should pop in here and post. It will motivate all of us and make this daily thread a happening place (it already is that - but even more so)

Yesterday I picked huckleberries for 5 hours. Though I had 2 gallons - got home it turned out to be 3 quarts. My eyes were a lot bigger than my bucket. There is a reason they cost $25 a gallon and why my grandma says that huckleberry cheesecake has negative calories. I also found out that mixing ricotta cheese with huckleberries tastes like cheesecake. YUM! Oh- and I swam for 1/2 hour at the beach.

For today I am going to yoga for the first time in almost a year from 8-9. I have PT for my knee at 1. So from 9-12 I am going to lift weights and exercise at the gym. Then go for lunch and shopping and then PT. I am going to burn some calories today!
Old 07-24-2001, 10:02 AM   #3  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Default Good morning!

Well, as you may have suspected, I didn't make it to the pool this morning... I'm trying not to beat myself up too bad, as we had a KILLER workout at yoga class last night, and I just could not drag my sorry butt out of bed...

Welcome Nish! I hope that you find this thread as helpful as we do. Nanton is about 1 hour south of Calgary, and is 20 minutes south of High River, where I work. Anyway, good for you for committing to a plan, and I hope to see a lot of you around here... it's great to have anoght Canuck, let alone another Albertan!

Congrats on your loss Stamper! One inch is quite a bit, and it's nice to know that you're losing the fat when the scale isn't moving, isn't it? That's why I love measuring rather than just relying on that number on the scale, which for me, moves ultra slow!

Morrigan, that huckleberry picking hike sounds just KILLER! What a great workout, and I presume you have quite a bit of fruit to show for it! I've never had a huckleberry before...what are they like? (We were cross-posting!) mmmmmm..... cheesecake.... I'm drooling! Sounds like you've got a great plan for today! Have a good time at yoga!

As I said before, I had a great workout last night at my yoga class, and I also had a good one at Curves, so I'm not too far off my plan. I ate well, and today should be good too. Actually, other than missing the swim this morning, I'm ok.... Plus, my yoga instructor says to me last night "Have you lost some weight?" Yay! That is exactly what I needed to hear to encourage me!

Talk to ya later!

Last edited by MarvintheMartian; 07-24-2001 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2001, 10:07 AM   #4  

That was some simultaneous posting

Huckleberries are often called mountain blueberries - but they are a differnt genuis than blueberries. They have about 10 times more flavor than a blueberry and don't really taste like one. Think of the tast difference between wild strawberries vs store bought or home grown tomatoes vs storebought - then make that difference even more pronounced and you are getting close. They also have a bit more rasberry taste to them than just a really yummy blueberry.

Did you click on the website?
http://www.cousinscandy.com/huckleberries.html
It has more info.
Old 07-24-2001, 10:24 AM   #5  

Brand new day!

Morrigan: That huckleberry picking sounds like QUITE the workout!! Such a sweet reward though! Yum!!
Sound like you have quite the day ahead of you! How wonderful that you're going back to yoga! I'm STILL trying to find a regular spot for it in my schedule! Right now, I just get it in when I can -- very sporadically!

Marvin: Hey, some days that whole "morning" thing just does NOT work for us! I think it's great that you're continuing with the yoga, and you definitely have a good excuse for not dragging your sore self to the pool! Yoga + Curves in one day! You are going to be a lean + sculpted Martian!

Stamper: Congrats on the inch loss!! I know how frustrating it can be to see the scale freeze, even though you know you're doing everything right. Heck, I slid back up to 150 during TOM and a weekend "out" and haven't seen 148 since! I know it's there, I just can't find it right now! Seriously, your body definitely changes shape + composition well before you see results on the demon machine. So good for you!

Sherryi: I am so impressed with your plans for an active vacation! That sounds like a lot of fun! No post-vacation pounds for you!

Dena: Sounds like you had a great weekend! Walks after all three meals? Way to go! What a nice way to spend time with your DH as well!

Saggy: Wow! You got in a LOT of aerobic exercise yesterday! Step, treadmill, AND kickboxing?! Yowza! You should be especially careful to make sure you're eating enough to fuel your increased activity level, so your body doesn't go into "starvation mode" and start conserving calories.

Nish: Welcome! I think you'll find that keeping an exercise journal can be very motivating -- not only does it keep you accountable, but it's very inspiring to see all of your workouts checked off, and to see how your strength + endurance increases. Good luck!

my update:
Well, I didn't wanna , but I got up and went to the gym this AM. Did my total body weights routine, and am happy to say I've increased my weights on some exercises! I'm happy about that, but still VERY frustrated that I have to use such low weight on a lot of the machines, because of my comparatively weaker upper body. And I'm having slower progress in my upper body work as well, and not upping weights as often. I just want to stamp my foot at having to use 25lbs on the dual biceps curl! I wanna use the big weights! <pouts>
Been eating on track thus far this week, thank heavens!
Old 07-24-2001, 03:13 PM   #6  

I only do 10 lbs for each arm on biceps - don't feel bad.
Old 07-24-2001, 03:24 PM   #7  

Thanks Morrigan!
Of course, you know it's the machine that uses both arms, so really I'm only doing 12.5 per arm if you even it out -- and not actually, since the machine lets you lift more weight than you would usually. Bah! And then there's the chest press, where I can only do 2sets/10reps at 30lbs. And the overhead press, at which I am startlingly hopeless! I don't know WHAT is going on there, but I am ALWAYS weak and wobbly with that exercise! I hate these especially, because I'm always going after some guy who's tossing around 60-70lbs on the upper body exercises like it's nothing. Grr grr grr!
Alright, now I'll stop growling and stomping about. I feel like being grumpy though -- maybe I'll go find a coworker to grouse at.
Old 07-24-2001, 03:30 PM   #8  

I don't have a lot to time but wanted to post that yesterday I did weights & cardio. Today I'm going to do some yoga.

I'll check in tomorrow before I leave for vacation

I hope all is all well with everyone!!!
Old 07-24-2001, 04:58 PM   #9  
You! On a Diet Groupie

S/C/G: 180.5/170.5/130.5

Height: 5' 4"

Default Joining in

With so many people from Alberta, how can I not join. Today, I mowed the lawn and when the rain stops, I am going for a bike ride.

I actually started exercising prior to changing my eating habits. I am following WW, varying points each day with one extreme high day each week (the Wendy Plan).

I will check in tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2001, 05:28 PM   #10  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Well... welcome, Jan! Soon, we Albertans will overrun the thread! {evil laugh} So, you guys are having rain too, huh? It's been dark and sorta blah here today, but we so desperately need it, that it's very welcome! Anyway, I hope it stops long enough for you to have a great ride!

Good job Sherryi, on your workouts! I can't remember.... do you use videos for your yoga? I've been looking at a couple on chapters.ca called Crunch. They're supposed to be pretty good, and they have a prenatal one too, and I can get them for fairly cheap! I just haven't got the guts to order them yet... but wait! I'm gonna! BTW, you Americans should check the site out if you're looking to buy videos online.... considering the exchange rate, you could make off like bandits!!

Copperblu, you are a regular Charles Atlas! I look at those weights you've typed out, and think, wowzer! BTW, about the sculpted martian!

Morrigan, huckleberries sound fabulous! I wish I had some around here.... but I just have to make do with the fruit off the truck that comes from BC every week.... it's still a great deal tastier than grocery store stuff! And we have a small local greenhouse that grows the yummiest, cheapest tomatoes! I actually spent hours on Sunday canning tomatoes with my mom, so I'm set for a while!

Anyway, the closer I get to the end of my day, the more I feel that I'm not gonna make it to Curves today either.... that yoga was REALLY killer, and between my aching back and the TOM that finally seems to be coming, all I wanna do is crawl into a nice hot bath and soak for about 6 hours! So, I think that today is going to be a "semi-scheduled" rest day, and I'll start bright and early with swimming tomorrow... I promise (cross my heart!)

See ya!
Old 07-24-2001, 05:35 PM   #11  
Earth Shattering Kaboom!

Talking

Hee, hee! I ordered the videos! They are Crunch: Joy of Yoga, and Crunch: Yoga Mama (2 pk.) Yay for me! Now, I have to just wait ever-so-patiently!!!
Old 07-24-2001, 08:15 PM   #12  

Just checking in to say that I went to the gym yesterday and today. We are all definitely on a roll.

Copperblu, you're doing great! Those weights are perfect for women. Let the guy before you get those manly muscles. I opt for long and lean.

Stamper, sorry you couldn't find the Body Flex video at the video store. I ordered mine through the mail, so I wonder if they even carry them.

Marvin, your body is telling you that you gave it a great work out at Yoga. It needs to repair itself. You're doing great.

Welcome Winterstar and Nish!

Morrigan, those huckleberries sound delish!

Let's keep at it, everyone. We are all looking so much better!
(Hugs),
Dena
Closed Thread