PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

View Poll Results: What Diet/Program are you following?
Low Fat 2 2.15%
Calorie Counting 19 20.43%
Low Carb (Atkins/South Beach) 21 22.58%
Low GI Diet 7 7.53%
IR/PCOS Specific 2 2.15%
Weight Watchers 15 16.13%
Combination of two or more 17 18.28%
Other (specify) 10 10.75%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2006, 02:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

Question Best Diet For PCOS - Which one are you following?

What program/diet are you on?
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 172/164/125

I am using a meal plan designed specifically by a dietician for those with PCOS. It is a low-carb diet.
joshiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:15 PM   #3  

I was on the Vitaline PCOS diet a couple of years ago, couldn't afford to carry on but I got my ideas from it. I follow a low(ish) carb diet. It's what works for me.
HippyHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 286/263/125

I guess I'm kind of strange. I have confirmed PCOS (ultrasound showed two weird, lumpy objects on either side of my pelvis!) but no evidence of insulin resistance/glucose intolerance EXCEPT very severe acanthosis nigricans. So I just cut everything down...fat, calories, carbs. Just trying to be healthier, overall. It's working for me.
corayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 12:02 PM   #5  

Not every woman with PCOS has IR, some women with PCOS are skinny (Victoria Beckham for example), they might just have acne, or hirsuitism or any of the other nasty things associated with it. That's why it is a syndrome and not a disease as there are no set symptoms, and that's what makes it a bigger bugger!

Everyone is different with what works for them diet wise too. You just have to find what works for you!
HippyHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #6  

I'm doing a IR low carb/low calorie diet with a metagenics shake every other day- as directed by nutritionist. It's worked miracles for me, the first diet I ever lost weight on!
subcriminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #7  
itsforme

S/C/G: 189/174/140

Hey Sub! Insulin resistant here. I suspect I'm and / or PCOS also. High testosterone, acne.

I'm stopping by to say that you are the first person to mention the Metagenics. I too am on Ultra GlycemX and Enduroblic for the IR.

I've lost 17 pounds sinse January 8th but seem to be at a standstill ( and discouraged! ) My abdominal obesity is getting the best of me!

Switching doctors next week and wondering if the Metformin would be better. This doctor doesn't beleive in it, siting the Metagenics is gentler on the system. I promised I'd give it a try and after 3 months, I've lost weight ( but also started SOUTH BEACH concurrently ) but my last fasting result was up from before I started the Metagenics.

I don't know how much time ( and money, they aren't covered by insurance ) to waste.

Good luck!
itsforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:46 AM   #8  

I'm trying my FreshStart4PCOSProgramme as I have had little success with anything else.

I'm only on day 8 though - wish me luck!

Last edited by MandyJane; 04-02-2006 at 11:09 AM.
MandyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #9  

Hiya Itsforme-

I wouldn't give up on the metagenics since it's a good low-cal meal replacement with all the right stuff in it for IR, but I would see if the met will help ease things along if you don't react badly to it. I hit some really long plateaus as well, I know how discouraging it is Right now I started a crummy job that keeps me working 7 days a week, and I'm not following my diet as closely as I should so I'm "stalled".
subcriminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:49 PM   #10  

I am just staying on WW, and being smart about what I eat. Something I can keep up for the rest of my life.
JodieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #11  
Princess to Be

S/C/G: 267/270/175

I've tried a little bit of everything. However, low carb works best, it's just hard for me to stick with it because I am such a picky eater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigglyBits
What program/diet are you on?
Tiffany_Bracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #12  
Registered Vegan

S/C/G: 232/187/144

Height: 5'3"

I'm vegan and I eat a high-fiber, low-fat diet because I have irritable bowel syndrome. I've been calorie counting with FitDay for the last four months and it has helped so much. I've lost about a pound every week in that time. I also try to get at least 30 min of exercise a day.
luna13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #13  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 191.4

Height: 5'5

I count calories and try to eat only low GI foods.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

Has anyone here been on Byetta for PCOS and IR? I am on it now and boy does it help with my appetite. Just wondering if anyone else was using that instead of the met.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #15  

1500 calories a day is what was working for me. I am getting back on it this week.
Tiggergirl98 is offline   Reply With Quote