South Beach Diet - Starting phase 2 tomorrow

View Full Version : Starting phase 2 tomorrow

garybearsgirl
02-25-2006, 01:32 PM
After four weeks on phase 1 (since I messed it up the first time)! Now I notice I can zip up my size 12 jeans again! Of course, they still look tight in the hips and thighs, but they zip up now! Yay! :carrot:
My venture into phase 2 will be slow. I will eat phase 1 meals but introduce a few phase 2 foods. This week I will add carrots and some pieces of fresh fruit.
Now, if I eat a piece of fruit for a snack, should I add a protein to it, like a piece of cheese?

ckb1432003
02-25-2006, 03:57 PM
Hi garybearsgirl! :wave:

I'm supposed to start Phase II today - after being on Phase I for 2 weeks. I've considered staying on Phase I for 4 weeks. How did it go for you? :?:

I've heard a mix of things :dizzy: - nutrients, gaining weight, falling off, etc. I've been 100% OP for the first 2 weeks so I don't think I will cheat :nono: if I go two more weeks.

If I do move into Phase II - I want to take it slow with maybe one slice of whole grain bread and one serving fruit a day. :hungry: Any advice you have would be appreciated.

:thanks:

Ruthxxx
02-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Well, my advice would be a slice of bread OR a piece of fruit for starters and see how that goes. There was a Phase II starter in here a long time ago who interpreted "add one carb a day" to mean add one every day. By the end of the week she was up to seven carbs and worried about gaining!

garybearsgirl
02-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi garybearsgirl! :wave:

I'm supposed to start Phase II today - after being on Phase I for 2 weeks. I've considered staying on Phase I for 4 weeks. How did it go for you? :?:

:thanks:

Well, this is my second time doing South Beach. the first was in 2004 before Hurricane Ivan. I can honestly tell you that eating MRE's IS a diet disaster! Those things are designed for soldiers on the battlefield carrying 20 pound packs and tons of equipment, so they have a million calories each meal!

I didn't intend to stay on phase 1 for so long, but I allowed myself to get hungry and wound up eating a bag of prok rinds. I discovered that low carb foods are not necessarily legal on South Beach. So, I did another 2 weeks on phase 1. I was a little more careful.

The first time I transitioned into phase 2, back in 2004, I discovered that I needed to count my calories. FitDay will give you an estimate of your caloric needs. Since I will be on the road in outside sales, I will need to keep a paper journal - I don't have a laptop or Blackberry or anything like that! I also learned that keeping a food diary keeps you "honest." Even before I discovered South Beach, I was less likely to eat something naughty if I knew I had to write it down - especially if someone else was going to read it! I considered using the journals here on 3FC, but I don't know that I'll have the time.

Besides that, I think the best advice is taking it slowly when adding the good carbs.

Oh, I can also recommend something I picked up from the sales training I am reading. Buy yourself a spiral notebook and write out your goals (don't type them in the computer - write them out longhand on paper). Rewrite your goals EVERY DAY! The physical act of writing connects your mind and your body to your goals, and doing it daily keeps your goals in your consciousness! This is good for any type of goal: weight loss goals, financial goals, professional goals, educational goals, whatever.