General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #1  
fat little dragoness

S/C/G: 172/171.5/130

Default Perfume warning

This is something my uncle sent me. It sounds sort of scary, that people would do this. What a terrible world we live in today.

This is something that happened to us on the way back from vacation last spring. I didn't think much of it until now. The reason we were a little suspicious is we had been riding in a jeep all day with 100 degrees temps and we stopped at a truck stop for something to drink.

When I was leaving, a young girl followed me out and asked what kind of cologne I was wearing. Well, after 7 hours in the car sweating, I don't think you could tell I was or was not wearing any cologne. We just got in the jeep and said no thanks.

Then it was about 3 weeks ago, I was at a service station in Birmingham getting gas. It was about 9:30 pm. I was approached by 2 men and 2 women in a car. The man that was driving asked me 'What kind of perfume do you wear?' I was a bit confused and I asked him 'Why?' He said, 'We are selling some name brand perfumes, at cheap prices.' I said I had no money.

He then reached out of the car and handed me paper that was laminated; it had many perfumes on it. I looked quickly at it and gave it back. I said, I have no money. He said it is OK, we take check, cash,or credit cards. Then the people in the car began to laugh. I just got in my car and said no thanks.

Then I received this e-mail yesterday and it sent chills up my spine.
Please read this. It is no joke. Here is the e-mail I was sent. . .
Dear Friends:
I know not all of you are women that I am sending this to, but am hoping you will share this with your wives, daughters, mothers, sisters, etc. Our world seems to be getting crazier by the day. Pipe bombs in mailboxes and sickos in parking lots with perfume. Be careful. I was approached yesterday afternoon around 5:30 PM in the Walmart parking lot by two males asking what kind of perfume I was wearing.

Then they asked if I'd like to sample some fabulous scent they were willing to sell me at a very reasonable rate. I probably would have agreed had I not received an e-mail warning of a "Wanna smell this neat perfume?" scam.

The men continued to stand between parked cars, I guess to wait for someone else to hit on. I stopped a lady going towards them, pointing at them and told her about how I was sent an e-mail at work about someone walking up to you at the malls or in parking lots and asking you to SNIFF PERFUME that they are selling at a cheap price.

THIS IS NOT PERFUME...IT IS ETHER!

When you sniff it, you'll pass out. They'll take your wallet, your valuables and heaven knows what else.

If it were not for this e-mail, I probably would have sniffed the 'perfume' but thanks to the generosity of an e-mailing friend, I was spared whatever might have happened to me.

I wanted to do the same for you.

PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO ALL YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS AND PLEASE BE ALERT AND BE AWARE. IF YOU ARE A MAN AND RECEIVE THIS, PASS IT ON TO YOUR WOMEN FRIENDS.

Ladies, this happened to me yesterday and I didn't smell the perfume either, thanks to this email. This is true. Believe me, I know. I was over by Big Lots in the parking lot at lunch time when I was approached. So either day or night, it does not matter. There were 3 guys together when I was approached. I called the police when I got back to my desk. Like the email says above, LET EVERYONE KNOW ABOUT THIS - YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, CO-WORKERS, whomever. It helped me. The first thing that popped into my head was this e-mail warning.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:01 AM   #2  
Meg

Don't be concerned - it's a urban legend. Here are the facts from the Snopes web site - a great place to check out email rumors.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #3  

I am such a cynic I don't believe any of those e-mails that are sent to me and they all go to the cyber garbage unopened. I also send out very clear vibes when I am out and about that I am not interested and unapproachable.

Liz
Old 02-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #4  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Meg, are you a snopes addict too? I always check the weird emails I get with snopes.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #5  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Not sure it is an urban legend or not but I do know that I have been approached in the mall and Wal-Mart parking lots before by two guys selling perfume. One guy was just standing around while the other approached people and asked what kind of perfume are you wearing. I just told them I wasn't interested and got in my car. He was persistant though and kept telling me to come to his car and see what they have. That is it the same as the big name perfumes but at a fraction of the cost. I kept walking towards my car saying, no thank you, I'm not interested. It didn't freak me out or anything so they could have been selling knock offs of the real perfume. I will never know though. I'm always a little leery of people walking through the parking lots trying to sell stuff. But I've also received a number of those e-mails.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Don't be concerned - it's a urban legend. Here are the facts from the Snopes web site - a great place to check out email rumors.
LOL I just went to Snopes and was going to post this... and THEN I read that you already did! I am always very skeptical when I receive these emails as they can come from even trusted friends who got them from someone. The vast majority are not true.

Dance
Old 02-25-2006, 12:48 PM   #7  
Linux Lady

Ether would not knock one out from just a sniff in open air. The minute someone took a sniff it would be clear that it was not perfume. I think that they must be selling cheap perfume knockoffs.

zoey [old retired RN]
Closed Thread