Weight Loss Support - I give UP!!!!!

View Full Version : I give UP!!!!!

ashory
02-24-2006, 10:26 PM
This stupid weight loss thing is just pissing me off now! I mean I know it's my only chance to even look half way decent but it DOESN'T work!! I've been working my butt off I got lazy for a bit but I picked up again. I've lost 9kgs which is like 20 pounds I think but I can't see a difference my clothes still fit fine and noone has said anything and I feel fatter then any other time in my life. WHY?? I'm only doing it to feel better and after all this time and lost weight I can't see a difference and it's making me feel really crappy I just feel like crying.:?: Am I doing something wrong?? I'm eating healthy I'm going to the gym regularly and i can't see the difference it's SO frustrating!! I know everyone will tell me to just keep going but I need to see results for the motivation and they just aren't coming!!

Losingitin06
02-24-2006, 10:28 PM
I totally understand where you are comming from.. all i can offer is a big *hugg*

fouripleys
02-24-2006, 10:34 PM
I just had my first session with a personal trainer. I don't know how long you've been at it, but she told me it would take atleast 6-8 weeks to really notice....and to not give up, because the changes we are making ARE HEALTHIER than the alternative!!

Trust me, I feel you! I've only been at it now for about a week and a half and when I think of how long it's actually going to take me....arrrrgggghh! That's why I've got to break it into smaller intervals for sure!

Ilene
02-24-2006, 10:50 PM
If you give up now where will you be in a year? At the same spot you are now, feelling crapy or crapier because you didn't stick to it... If you continue, you WILL feel better about yourself, even if you lose only 10# in a year, that's 10# less than you are now... Sometimes too our whole internal body needs to adjust to the new excercise routine, new foods... Hang in there if you keep plugging away it WILL eventually show. Take up a new exercise, belly dancing, dancing, jogging, swimming, anything!! Have fun ...

And hey, you've lost 20#, that's 20# that you were carrying around last year that you have don't have anymore...

Hang in there :hug:

Tazzieone
02-24-2006, 10:54 PM
well for starters you have lost weight :-) and your hang up could be lots of things, you can eat healthy and still eat too much to lose weight, try journaling it can be a real eye opener :-O or you fat intake could be higher than you realize, also if you have been working out possibly you could have gained some muscle, the only other suggestion I can make is to reduce the amount of refined carbs you eat (bread pasta rice) and eat more VEGGIES :-)

midwife
02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Go to the dairy aisle and pick up 20 pounds of butter. You have lost a significant amount of weight. Keep on keepin on!

kayleystar
02-24-2006, 11:19 PM
You are just building muscle, I'm sure...which is why you may not notice a change in APPEARANCE...but I'm sure you feel better...and you're trying to lose the weight, which is what really matters. Hun, I've lost 40 pounds, and it really doesn't look like it to me, but my b/f notices. People WILL start to notice! You can't give up, or like another has already said, you'll feel WORSE about yourself. Do you want to be a fat HEALTHIER person for right now, or just a fat slob? Sorry so harsh, there...but I don't want you to give up!

futuresurferchick
02-24-2006, 11:42 PM
Hey Ashory.. sorry you're feeling crappy... :hug: I hope you don't give up!

jrnyc
02-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Please don't give up, Ashory. As for people not commenting, sometimes people are unobservant, shy, or don't want to make a big deal. The same thing has happenned to me in the past, but then the clothes start feeling looser and the compliments start pouring in. Plus, you want to do this for your health.

healthy2b
02-25-2006, 12:06 AM
Don't give up Ashory, you can do this. Just stick to it and eventually it will pay off...it has to. Twenty pounds is a lot, you should be proud of yourself.

twinsplusone
02-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Don't give up!!! You have to remember also that your body freaks out when you start losing weight. It trys to hold on to everything for awhile....Just keep pushing on it will start to come off again. Also...think about how long it took for you to gain the weight....I know for me it happened over three years...Its not going to melt off of you...It's a battle and sometimes it seems like you're fighting that battle uphill...PLEASE don't give up.....you've lost 20 lbs!!! I've only lost 8 lbs and I'm thrilled!! Please keep up the good work....good things are worth waiting for. We're here if you need us!!!!

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey, never use "give" and "up" in the same sentence!!! :)

I think what you are feeling is typical, especially for those with a significant amount of weight to lose. I am tall also and very overweight... so I can lose 40 pounds or so before anyone really starts to notice. BUT I know it is gone, and you know your 20 pounds is gone! All at once it will start to show and keep getting better from there.

Also, we have to remember we are not just losing weight so others will notice and we will look better... that is a side benefit... but our motivation needs to be that we are doing it because it is the right thing to do!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Dance

lessthansign3
02-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Quitting now will only put you back to where you started and you'll feel even worse :( You've got to keep plugging away! Weight loss is a slow process. Some days I feel frustrated but then I look at myself in the mirror and go, "Hey, I look a whole lot better than I did four weeks ago!" and that's only after 13 lbs!! Don't let weight loss preoccupy your mind all the time. Keep yourself busy, and before you know it you won't pay much attention to how much you're losing or not until you look in the mirror one day and think, "Wow, I'm hot!!" <3

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 01:24 PM
You are sooooo right! I was doing so well until I had thyroid surgery (large tumor) in July 04 and then my weight skyrocketed back up to and above the highest it has ever been! Talk about discouraging! But now I feel really good even just being back on track and after having lost 12 pounds and knowing I am eating really well. Sure I have a long ways to go but it helps to set smaller goals that are achievable and keep plugging along at it. It was FUN yesterday changing my signature to "second" (from first) ten pound goal. :)

Dance

swingchick
02-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Whenever I've gotten on a workout kick (not on one now- this is a lifestyle change :D ) it would take months for people to comment on a difference in appearance (and I NEVER noticed it myself- I always find something that I still don't like)... but then there would be an avalanche of comments! And even though I didn't see a difference then, looking at pictures from then tells me that my clothes fit very differently, even though I still wear the same size. Keep it up, I know you can make this change!

readyfreddy
02-25-2006, 02:27 PM
hang in there! remember this is not just about the weight- but giving your body the proper nutrition and care it needs! what you are doing is so great. eating right and excercise are imo the secret to the fountain of youth. you can do this ! also, remember- people may notice and not say anything, if they are unsure how you will respond. if you causually mention youve been going to the gym i bet people will start commenting. if people dont know that your efforts are "public" they may not want to "publically out" you on your weightloss efforts. does that make any sense?

good luck!

you can do it!

Tealeaf
02-25-2006, 04:30 PM
It took 30 pounds of weight loss for me before other people started noticing. It took around 50 pounds of weight loss before I could see a difference in myself. And it still doesn't look to me like I'm all that different.

But... my left knee no longer hurts. My legs feel strong. There are times when I actually feel energized. And I was able to find a skirt that hid my belly bulge. And now I'm on the right side of 200. When I started, it didn't seem like the odd pound or two I was losing here and there were really making much of a difference. But they really do add up, and when they do, it becomes apparent that this hassle of dieting is much better than bearing the pain of being fat.

maegdaeien
02-25-2006, 06:25 PM
I know how you feel, Ashory. I can wear the same size 14 pants from 190 to 150 pounds, and it is so irritating that the clothes aren't getting bigger and bigger before your eyes. Knowing that I'd have to lose 40 pounds just to get into pants one size smaller makes it seem like far too much work for very little payoff, but it's not true at all. Clothes are just the superficial bonus to weight loss. If you're working out and eating better, even if you aren't losing as much weight as you'd like your body will still thank you. Think of all the heart problems and other health issues that are amplified-- or created!-- by too many ice cream cones and not enough movement. I don't know how old you are, but if you are older these are things that you need to keep in consideration. And if you are young, you need to make sure that you don't give up now and say, "Oh fine, I can have a heart attack in a few years so long as I don't have to exercise now!"

It's definitely hard, and it can be SO overwhelming and difficult, but it won't be forever!

kykaree
02-26-2006, 03:59 AM
This whole weight loss journey p****ses me off every day!!!

Oh yes, some days its a joy, eating healthy foods, going to the gym, being able to run a bit faster, or lift something heavier (especially when its heavier than the fit boy who just jumped off the machine)

But other times its just do darned boring. What am I going to eat for lunch? How am I going to plan for this party? How can I keep from eating that chocolate bar when some nasty person has just shouted at me at work?

It's tedious, time consuming, takes ages.

But all of a sudden, people WILL notice, you will notice. You'll put on your favourite *fat* outfit and it just won't fit, and you'll have the joy of buying nice new clothes in smaller sizes.

For me it was when the shops I had walked past for three years finally stocked my size. Because I had shrunk, not because they had become fat aware!!

It's ok to feel completely crappy about this journey and not feel happy happy joy joy all the time, completely fine. It would be nice too to just wake up and not be fat anymore. But would any of us really appreciate our new thinness if it didn't result from hard work???

Probably not.

ashory
02-26-2006, 04:13 AM
I understand what you're all saying and that it will be worth it but it's hard to see that now... My whole life I've waited and waited for good things to happen but they just never come around and I don't see how this is going to be much different as stupid as it sounds. I want results NOW!! I know I can't have them but it's what I want and it just gets me so down that I'm trying so hard but there is no difference and people are still pointing and laughing at me because I'm fat....i really don't want to do this anymore...even my dad still tells me I'm fat and he sees how hard I try every day to lose the weigh I haven't had one bitort from most of my family my grandma gave me a few cook books and my brother gave me his gym membership only cause he didn't want to pay for it anymore... My WHOLE life my family has told me I'm fat and now that I'm trying they don't seem to want to help me in ANY way....It's like they're scared I'm going to achieve more then them....I'm just really sick of it I guess...but thanks to you guys I did push on for today at least and went to the gym I guess I'll see how I feel next time I have time to go.....Thanks

angeleyezx
02-26-2006, 06:51 AM
Hi!!
I agree with everyone and wasnt gonna add my twocents until I though Id add dome of my personality to the mix.
Carry on, not be bcoz it Will eventually show results, but because its a lifestyle change and what have you got to lose by staying on it?
and my main point, my family used to be simular to me and it suck, I would binge eat or over eat and my parents would make faces or comments.
I dont know how your family thinks, but maybe they're saying this as they dont think you can stick to it and will give up anyway or maybe your right they are totally jealous and want to bring you dont well..

Come here for support! we're all in simular boats Im sure any person here would love to chat about certain foods that pains of WL and the painful gain!
I see you only have 8posts, start chatting :) I promise it will help.
I hope you dont give up, I really believe that WL can be a great hobby.
If you want to kick it with me online sometime PM me :)

Ilene
02-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Ashory -- We ALL have saboteurs in our lives and we definitely need to be strong and prove them wrong. ... It won't always be easy but it will get easier. Wipe that negative self talk out of your vocabulary ... Find yourself some positive reiforcement like US and 3fc :D and stick with it ... Good does come to those who wait...

And like Angel so eloquenlty said:
F**K EM! do this for u you can prove them all wrong!:bravo:

Fit_Boo
02-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Sometimes, families say things without realizing how hurtful they can be. Maybe you could mention to them how their comments affect you. I'm sure the last thing they want is for you to think they don't care. Don't let their comments get to you! You are doing this for you and you only. Angeleyez said it best! ;) Doesn't matter if the whole world says you are fat, if you don't want to be, then you know what to do.

20 pounds is a great achievement. As far as your clothes go, perhaps they were tight to start with, so while they are not falling off just yet, maybe you're just wearing the right size now and they fit "better". Am I making sense? :dizzy:

I used to feel the same way as you. I wanted to be thin NOW! And ironically enough, I wanted to be thin so badly...and was so far FROM being thin, that I just didn't bother trying or I would give up early on because it clearly "wasn't" working (that's what I decided anyway).

Others are right, you have to keep going. So many people give up after losing some weight because the road ahead just seems so long, but I found that once you get over that hump, it becomes more of a second nature to eat better and exercise.

I find it really helps to stop focussing on "wanting to be thin" and switch your thinking to "I want to be healthy". Makes eating right and exercising easier. The pounds and inches will come off as a nice bonus to being healthy! :)

Hang in there. Hugs to you :hug: and a rolling pin for the family :rollpin:

ashory
02-27-2006, 05:13 AM
Thanks guys you really are all awesome :D :hugs:

maegdaeien
02-27-2006, 10:27 AM
I know how you feel about waiting and waiting and nothing good happens. When you have a lot of weight to lose it seems like an impossible journey; if you have 50 pounds to lose, at a (very optimistic) rate of 2 pounds a week it's going to take over 6 months! However, you need to change your habits now before it gets even worse. If you let your weight get further and further out of your control, those 6 months necessary to get rid of your weight could become a year. Better to do everything you can to nip it in the bud now!

shawnamadonna1013
02-27-2006, 02:05 PM
everyone's saying keep going and i really think you should, but if this program isn't working for you, maybe you should pick another one. I did atkins for a month and supposedly lost 11 lbs, but i never saw it in clothes or inches. i felt like i had no control over my weight because i wasnt sure if i was getting it right or not. i switched to calorie counting and am much happier. so, dont give up, but maybe try something else.