General chatter - Too thin

View Full Version : Too thin

josie4
02-24-2006, 06:48 PM
The other day my brother told my mom that I'd be inverted if I lost any more weight. I asked her if I looked bad, and she said no, just skinny.

Do any of you think I'm too thin? I'm 5'2" 120 lbs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/josie4/jomirror.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v128/josie4/Jomirror2.jpg

L144S
02-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Congrats on your weight loss! And welcome to 3FC

no, I don't from your 2 pictures, but you have to also keep in mind that if you spent a lot of time at your highest weight your brother may not have ajusted to the new you particularly if you don't live in the same house.

At 5'2" you are probobly close if not at your goal weight anyway, right?

Ilene
02-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Josie -- I think you look PERFECT for your height and weight :yes: ... Keep up the healthy eating and exercising... I think your brother is just not used to seeing you so small and/or is just worried that you will lose too much weight. But I personally find that, from those pics, you look neither inverted or skinny... Just very healthy and lean...

AquaChick
02-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Perfect.

You are a real cutie, and in my opinion this looks like you are at just the right weight. :)

My dad used to do that to me back before I gained all this weight. I weighed 110, but for my frame and height, it was fine- and I felt really good. It really hurt my feelings because I had three family members make comments and one accused me of being anorexic. :( That was totally false. Of course I have an attitude and gasped and said I just looked small because they were overweight. Not nice, but it can go both ways.... :devil:

josie4
02-24-2006, 08:12 PM
Thank you for your comments everyone! They were reassuring.

I've been overweight almost all of my teenage years and much of my childhood. I guess people just aren't used to seeing me thin! I'm sure I'll get more comments (or people will comment to my parents) on my weight. It doesn't bother me that much, I just don't want people to think I have an eating disorder.

Somebody once asked me if I'm starving myself to lose weight and when I (emphatically) said no, he looked at me skeptically. I just don't want people to look at me and think "She needs help. She must be starving herself!"

I guess maybe I'm too worried about it.

Thank you for reading my ramblings, and thank you for your reassurances! :D :D

mom2cole
02-24-2006, 08:37 PM
I also think you look great. I used to weigh around 120 when I was in high school and I am also 5'2'', so you are were i want to be!

Margarita
02-24-2006, 08:43 PM
I think you look really good at your current weight. It may be as others have suggested, that your brother just isn't used to you thin. Then again, perhaps he was just trying to be funny. Does he like to tease you?

pixiefalls
02-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Congrats on your weight loss! And welcome to 3FC

no, I don't from your 2 pictures, but you have to also keep in mind that if you spent a lot of time at your highest weight your brother may not have ajusted to the new you particularly if you don't live in the same house.

At 5'2" you are probobly close if not at your goal weight anyway, right?

I agree with what she said. I think you look pretty and just fine the weight you are at:).

Smoo
02-24-2006, 09:21 PM
I think you look fabulous!

maegdaeien
02-24-2006, 09:53 PM
You are DEFINITELY what I would consider "thin." But I would certianly not consider you DANGEROUSLY thin; I think you look very healthy and good! Great job!

kayleystar
02-24-2006, 10:28 PM
You look great. Congrats on your success! I think you are very well-proportioned for your height/weight.

plb@m
02-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Mom and brother love you . Just make sure they know your eatting healthy. I think brother is just alittle scared and is looking out for you.
I think you look GOOD !!!!!!!

DeeJae37
02-24-2006, 11:16 PM
I think you look really good, and as long as your eating enough, and eating healthy you'll be doing fine. Sometimes people are just so used to seeing you a different way that the new way seems unreal. And just some advice you look great the weight you are now, I hope that your in to just maintaining now, It doesn't look like you need to lose anymore, and Congrat's on your loss.

DJ

teahoney
02-24-2006, 11:39 PM
You look great and I'll have to agree with everyone else, he's probably just not used to seeing you at this weight yet. But believe me, you look fantastic.

almostheaven
02-24-2006, 11:58 PM
I got the same comment, from a good friend. Hadn't seen him in years, and at 140 pounds, about middle of my weight range for my height, the first words were "Girl! You're TOO thin." I think it's partly the mindset of overweight America.

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 02:28 AM
The other day my brother told my mom that I'd be inverted if I lost any more weight. I asked her if I looked bad, and she said no, just skinny.

Do any of you think I'm too thin? I'm 5'2" 120 lbs.

No! You don't look too thin at all... you look just right! Congratulations!!! I think people sometimes have a tendency to do that though when someone loses a lot of weight! Don't let it get to you!!

Dance

GreatBigMonsterMomma
02-25-2006, 04:00 AM
You look fine. You do not, mind you, look like you need to lose any more weight; you're well within the normal range now. As others have said, your brother is probably used to you being overweight, and he may be worried you're going to take the diet thing too far. This may well be his manspeak way of saying he thinks you're at the right weight.

RocksAnn
02-25-2006, 05:44 AM
You look great at your current weight.

Kery
02-25-2006, 10:01 AM
You look really fine to me! :)

It may indeed be just people needing to adjust THEIR views. My mother keeps on tellng me that I look "just fine", but at 137-140 pounds for 5'1" (or is it 5'2"? not more than that, for sure), I know I'm certainly not thin, even if not obese either. We need to adjust ourselves to our new weights, and other people need, too.

(Now let me take a picture of my sister next time go visit her. Just 1 inch taller than I, and if there's a size 0 that exists, then she's that size. *She* would be what I call too thin!)

liz321
02-25-2006, 11:18 AM
I know for me I lose alot in my face and that is the part people usually react to.........it is an unfamiliar face and they don't realize that was how we were meant to look.

Liz

lessthansign3
02-25-2006, 12:07 PM
People thought I was super skinny when I came back from Japan, and I still weighed 160. It was really weird. People just weren't used to it, especially since in their minds it wasn't a gradual thing. I left one day, and came back nine months later without 30 lbs of myself. If you haven't seen someone in a long time and all the sudden you've lost a good deal of weight, they're probably just very shocked at seeing a seemingly drastic transformation.

Keep up the good work <3

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 12:35 PM
I had the same thing... when I lost a bunch of weight years ago and people kept telling me I was getting anorexic, etc. It really was ticking me off... until finally I started saying, "I weigh *170*!!!) which was true. At my height and build that was thin... a size 8-10... but certainly not scrawny!!

I know it is discouraging... when you literally work your butt off you don't need criticism... you DESERVE praise!! But hey, people are people so we just have to let some things roll off. :)

Dance

Dance

FrouFrou
02-25-2006, 12:54 PM
I think they are just used to seeing you at a higher weight and this is a little different for them. Because honestly...you look gorgeous!

I say this because my DD is 5ft3ins. and she is down to 118 and I keep telling her she's too skinny! :lol: Her highest was 145 and while that doesn't seem very big it does make a difference on her little frame. And I was used to seeing her at 135-145. But for her height range and build, 118 is about right.

As long as you are eating right and taking care of your body, and...YOU feel great! that's all that matters. They will get used to you being that weight eventually.

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Yah and just enjoy the fact that no one can tell you that you are too FAT!!! :)

When I get thin I have no butt at all... and once when I got really slim someone actually tried to convince me to wear padded underwear! Ha! As I told them then... I literally worked my butt off and you want me to PAD it? There is NOTHING on THIS body every going to get padded!!!

Dance

josie4
02-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Thank you everyone, for your wonderful responses! When I have more time, I'll type a longer response. :D

featherz
02-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Definitely just adjustment. I get a lot of 'too thin' and good natured jibes about having an eating disorder and I'm 123-125# at 5'4, not underweight by any means. Everyone is just used to the 'old way' and in my case my face lost more weight than I'd like which didn't help. :(

VelVeeta
02-27-2006, 10:18 AM
You look fabulous, and of course people's eyes are telling them that because you have shed some pounds. They will get used to the new you!! Awesome job!

fitgal2
02-28-2006, 09:41 PM
I think you look great!

they both could be saying things cuz you are doing what they both know they should be doing...exercising and eating right...thus trying to sabatage your great efforts and success...I say at 5'2 120 you are in a very healthy range! Keep it up!

bnbsmommy1
03-01-2006, 08:14 AM
I just read in fitness magazine (or was it bodybuilding?) that americans often view people who are at a healthy weight as 'too skinny' or 'anorexic' because almost all they see is overweight people around them so they don't know what healthy weight looks like. I thought of this thread when I read that.... I agree with everyone else I think you look fantastic!

flipafart
03-02-2006, 11:18 PM
I here the thin thing too but it doesn't bother me because I know I am healthy. Enjoy your beautiful temple and take care of it, you look great