General chatter - Weird childhood snacks

View Full Version : Weird childhood snacks

anyothername
02-24-2006, 05:18 PM
So, living with five different people in the past year, i've noticed that we all have strange things that we snack on just because we did it when I was kids.

For me, my all time favorite nostilgic snack is some unheated, room temperature baked beans and a popsicle. Which i know sounds kinda gross, but there's nothing like sitting outside with a can of beans and a popsicle. One of my roommates love ketchup toast. We were talking and decided we were either psycho and disgusting, or everyone has a weird "childhood snack" that just makes them feel good dispite crazy looks.

What's yours?

Kim R
02-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, I don't actually eat this as an adult, but...toasted bread (homemade), buttered and sprinkled with a cinnamon-sugar mixture. At my grandmother's house, it was molasses instead of the cinnamon and sugar.

Less of Lena
02-24-2006, 05:25 PM
I don't think in my whole life I've ever met anyone else who liked room-temp unheated baked beans right out of the can! Sister!!!!!

Or, maybe it just never came up in conversation before... :lol:

hoodj0080
02-24-2006, 05:27 PM
I loved baloney and ketchup sandwiches until I was six. Then, for no reason i can thinkof, they made me want to barf. I still can't eat baloney. ketchup's okay though. Too bad it's not a veggie serving, lol!

anyothername
02-24-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't think in my whole life I've ever met anyone else who liked room-temp unheated baked beans right out of the can! Sister!!!!!

Or, maybe it just never came up in conversation before... :lol:

HECK YES! room-temp bean eater power!:carrot:

Tina30
02-24-2006, 05:40 PM
I can't even believe I am going to tell anyone this but my sister and I used to take uncooked noodles and dip them in peanut butter. Oh goodness that just sounds gross. Hey off subject a bit but do any of you ever have taste tests with your siblings. I remember we would try to find the grossest things and you would have to taste them with your eyes shut and guess what they were. I am having a flashback to my childhood this is so weird. Anyway I hope my family is not the only weird one.

icmethinner
02-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Once in a while, when the going gets rough, you have to heat up a can of Chef Boyardee mini-Ravioli.;)

mom2cole
02-24-2006, 06:00 PM
I used to take white bread, smear it with butter and cover it in sugar and eat it as a sandwhich. Can't remember when the last time is that I had one, but those were good when i was in third grade!

Less of Lena
02-24-2006, 06:08 PM
Butter snadwiches??? Oh, my goodness, that made me remember another "wierd childhood snack" of mine. Mayonaise sandwiches! Had to be Hellman's on white bread (Miracle Whip just wouldn't do). And it had to be a folded-over sandwich (or 3), not a cut-in-half sandwich.

Mayo sandwiches and cold baked beans... wow... memories!

sehh
02-24-2006, 06:14 PM
no way the best is peanut butter and brown sugar! That was the treat of the week!! also the folded over sandwich but for me it had to be miracle whip for the tang!! ummm umm goood!!!

Linds81
02-24-2006, 06:19 PM
I loved baloney and ketchup sandwiches until I was six. Then, for no reason i can thinkof, they made me want to barf. I still can't eat baloney. ketchup's okay though. Too bad it's not a veggie serving, lol!

That's insane! I thought I was the only person who would mix baloney and ketchup! I loved those growing up... but I can't think of the last time I've had a slice of baloney!

Another sandwhich that I still love is a toasted peanut butter and sliced banana sandwhich! My boyfriend wants to puke everytime I eat it!

LadyFirelyght
02-24-2006, 06:46 PM
~ I LOVED having toast with butter, cinnamon, and sugar on top. I still have it occasionally, but then I am only 18 :D
~ Peanut butter and bananas, on bread or not.
~ Crackers with butter and honey (really yummy!)
~ Peanut butter on a spoon. I used to have that ALL the time. Can you see a theme here?
~ When I was younger, about 8 or so, my mom would buy Philadelphia cream cheese packets. Individual serving size. My brother and I would eat them plain!
~ Popcorn topped with ketchup. I tried having this again recently and I gagged. It was so slimey!

My mother tells stories of her childhood favorites:
~Potato chip sandwiches. Chips and ketchup on bread.
~ Ketchup sandwiches. Just ketchup on bread
~ Mashed potato sandwiches. Mashed potatoes and ketchup on bread.
~ Onion sandwiches. Onions and ketchup on bread.

My mother really loved her ketchup.

alinnell
02-24-2006, 07:02 PM
How about liver sausage (Braunschweiger) and pickle relish sandwiches? They are to die for, and I'll still eat one when I can (but try not to because of the high fat and sugar content of the sausage).

Ilene
02-24-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm another one for canned beans out of the can, although I haven't had it for a while...

When we ran out of cereal my dad used to break up bread in a bowl, sprinkle it with sugar and top with milk... He would do the same with saltine crackers... I've had it myself but only as a small kid...

Every single night, as a kid, my parents used to take the toaster out and have toast and molases before bed around 10PM... It wasn't till I was 16 or so that they broke this habit, when I would tell them you shouldn't eat before bed...

DH's father used to soak his toast in his bacon fat...:barf: .... no wonder the man died of a heart attack...

hoodj0080
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM
anyothername, i can't stand baked beans. but I can see eating regular beans and a popsicle. it'd have to be a red popsicle though. I don't know why, but beans and orange popsicles sounds nasty. what flavor did you eat?

ChubbsMcFatty
02-24-2006, 07:46 PM
I still have to have just one or two bites of whatever canned food I'm eating right out of the can...especially canned corn and chicken noodle soup....I also have this weird thing about eating a bite of those fully cooked chicken nuggets/tenders straight from the freezer...like a chicken popsicle.

shananigans
02-24-2006, 07:51 PM
I knew wasn’t the only one into ketchup sandwiches! Mine were on folded over Roman Meal bread. My mom used to buy fresh baked wheat bread in bulk from a local co-op that came all stuck together in row of four loaves, kind of like hot dog buns. My older brother and I would wait till mom was out of the house and tear into one of those and eat out the soft inside leaving the crust shell. God that was good. No wonder I’m such a carbaholic.

mom2cole
02-24-2006, 08:41 PM
Oh, I remember another good one! Uncooked ramen noodles straight out of the package with the seasoning sprinkled on them. Mmmmm!!!

Ilene
02-24-2006, 09:15 PM
Oh, I remember another good one! Uncooked ramen noodles straight out of the package with the seasoning sprinkled on them. Mmmmm!!!My DD used to eat those. She still does occasionally...

Smoo
02-24-2006, 09:19 PM
When I was little I would get two pieces of bread, put mayo on one and butter on the other smush them together and eat. Makes me sick to think about it now :lol:

EZMONEY
02-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Growing up in the 60's, my brothers always had the ketchep sandwiches ~ i didn't care for them.

My uncle used to make grape jelly and cheese sandwiches ~ ever hear of that one?

maegdaeien
02-24-2006, 09:26 PM
OH YEAH. When I was little, I could not get enough ketchup sandwiches. Just 2 slices of bread and ketchup between them. And then I was embarrassed for a long time... but maybe I craved them for something in which my diet was lacking? Who knows, but it was certianly odd!

Ilene
02-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Since you are all mentionning ketchup sandwiches... my g/f's DD eats mustard sandwiches...

DeeJae37
02-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Oh my....my favorite was a mayo and potato chip sandwich, and this grew into my adult life as well...and I also passed this on to my 2 children...:^:

Ilene
02-24-2006, 11:32 PM
My child hood g/f used to add vinegar to her salt and vinegar chips!!

I love this thread it's bringing back great memories...

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 02:14 AM
My childhood favorites were:

Mustard and dill pickle sandwiches (I got upset because my mother would not let me take them in my school lunch)
Butter and sugar on white bread (Yikes!)
Mustard by itself. (My Mom bought mustard in gallon jars and my brother and I would drink squeeze bottles full of it when she was gone! I still love the stuff but can't do that any more for the sake of my stomach!)
Tomatoes straight out of the garden (we kept a salt shaker there)

We ate ketchup sandwiches too at times.

Dance

GreatBigMonsterMomma
02-25-2006, 04:06 AM
I can't even believe I am going to tell anyone this but my sister and I used to take uncooked noodles and dip them in peanut butter.

I used to take peanutbutter, spread it on bread, and put little pieces of uncooked spaghetti noodles in it before toasting it in the toaster oven. :)

I used to take white bread, smear it with butter and cover it in sugar and eat it as a sandwich.

I would do this too, only with margarine on wheat bread.

Another thing we used to do was pour a ton of salt on white bread, then tear it up and roll it into these hard little balls. Honestly, it makes my mouth water just to think about it. (My Russian teacher told of a welcoming thing she ran into in Russia where they'd bring out a loaf of bread and a dish of salt, and you would tear off a piece of bread and dip it in the salt to eat it, so apparently it's the nonexistent Eastern European in me coming out. :lol: )

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 08:47 AM
LOL we used to rolll up the bread balls but I have never heard of putting salt on them. :)

bluedevil
02-25-2006, 10:37 AM
I was also a mayo sandwich girl, but for me it was Miracle Whip or nothing! I also was fond of fried bologna sandwiches (on white bread with lots of mayo, of course). My two sisters and I would also eat an entire block of cheese at one time as a snack.

As you can see, snacks in my family were like actual meals in other houses!

liz321
02-25-2006, 11:12 AM
This thread is fun but ruining my appetite

1. Grilled cheese sandwich dipped in cold choc milk......the thought of it makes me gag now.

2. Processed cheese and jam on toasted bread. Actually tastes pretty good....but I never remember to make it

Liz

lucky
02-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Okay, this wasn't a usual snack but something that my sister and I could sneak out of the house when we went "camping" in the backyard and we didn't think my mom would notice it being gone. We'd take plain white bread and a thermos full of dill pickle juice. In retrospect, I realize that my mom probably DID notice that the jar of pickles no longer had juice and I am sure she suspected it was us. LOL. Why we didn't just ASK for something to put in our backpacks when we explored the neighborhood I have no idea. I guess we just wanted to feel like we were getting away with something. But white bread and pickle juice? We must have liked it, though, because that is what we packed for all of our adventures.

lessthansign3
02-25-2006, 12:15 PM
I liked to take a tortilla, spread butter on it and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on it. I got nostalgic for this tasty snack, so I used a whole wheat tortilla, a thin spread of canola oil margarine, and sprinkled splenda and cinnamon on it. It's good stuff!

HungryMonkey
02-25-2006, 12:15 PM
When I was old enough to use the oven, I'd eat blueberry bagels with barbecue sauce and Swiss cheese melted under the broiler. It was sweet, salty deliciousness... and doesn't sound appealing as an adult!

FrouFrou
02-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Count me in as another who ate ketchup sandwiches, among other things. Some of our favs were:

Ketchup sandwiches
Banana and mayonnaise sandwiches
Peanut butter and bologna sandwiches (still a favorite today!)
Fried bologna sandwiches
Oatmeal (dry) in a cup sprinkled with sugar
bread spread with butter, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and baked in the oven
Mashed potato sandwich
Hash brown sandwich (still a fav today)
All washed down with kool-aid or iced tea! Mmmmmmm
I do like to eat corn straight from the can. My kids & hubby think I am weird but it is sooooo good before it is cooked. Actually, it is already cooked, you're just warming it up.
That's all I can think of now but my brother would eat sugar sandwiches! ICK! The funny thing...my youngest son does that! He will also pour seasoned salt in his hand and eat it. My DD when younger...I would always catch her with her finger in the butter. She would stick her finger in and pull out a BIG chunk of butter and eat it! GROSS!!!
Some of this stuff is making me want to gag! :lol: I tried a banana sandwich a few years ago and thought "What was I thinking as a child!"

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Oh definitely Erin... for me it is STILL Miracle Whip or nothing... but now I use the Miracle Whip Free. I mix it with fresh salsa (from Trader Joe's) for salad dressing.

And Lucky... I used to drink ALL the dill pickle juice and still love it... although now most of the time I restrain myself to just a little sip now and then!

Dance

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Cristi

Actually I still eat banana sandwiches for breakfast quite a bit... but I use dark bread toasted, all natural peanut butter (and limit the amount of course) with Smucker's all natural fruit spread, and a sliced banana. I take the ingredients to work and fix it for breakfast quite often!! Fits right in with my healthy eating plan too!

Dance

hoodj0080
02-25-2006, 12:25 PM
Hungrymonkey, what yousaid reminded me of something. Atleast you waited until you were old enough to use a toaster. When I was six, I put peanut butter on bread and stuck it in the toaster to make peanut butter toast. My mom was soooooo ticked!!!!!
Another childhood weakness? cream cheese on rye bread with green olives...damn, I want one now!!

Ilene
02-25-2006, 12:34 PM
2. Processed cheese and jam on toasted bread. Actually tastes pretty good....but I never remember to make it

LizI used to LOVE that!

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Another childhood weakness? cream cheese on rye bread with green olives...damn, I want one now!!

LOL that's the problem with this type of threads!!! But we WON'T do it... will we????? ;)

Dance

AmberM
02-25-2006, 01:13 PM
OK, Mine was garlic bread baked in the oven with BBQ sauce on it. I also liked (and still do but I don't do it anymore)-BBQ potato chips in a hot dog bun with cheese and miracle whip (no mayo sub here either)! My husband LOVES (still) his peanut butter, pickle and cheese sandwiches. It was his favorite and he gets nostalgic about once a month for another one. EW!

Amber

Amber

Misti in Seattle
02-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Peanut butter, pickle and cheese sounds good! If I wasn't being good I would try it! But not a chance!! :)

Dance

jules1216
02-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Butter snadwiches??? Oh, my goodness, that made me remember another "wierd childhood snack" of mine. Mayonaise sandwiches! Had to be Hellman's on white bread (Miracle Whip just wouldn't do). And it had to be a folded-over sandwich (or 3), not a cut-in-half sandwich.
Mayo sandwiches and cold baked beans... wow... memories!

I too did the mayo sandwiches but I put dill pickles and chips on mine!!

Linds81
02-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Oh another thing... is my grilled cheese sandwhiches must be dipped into large amounts of ketchup! Lol still love it to this day!

bluedevil
02-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Another favorite of mine was to get a glass bottle of Coke and pour in a bag of salted peanuts. I don't know if that's just a Southern thing, but everyone at home still does it.

My youngest sister used to get in trouble for eating butter straight out of the tub. I always thought that was pretty gross.

mauvaisroux
02-26-2006, 12:26 AM
I used to eat raw bacon when I was a kid - the meat part not the fat, until my mother caught me doing it and freaked. Weird thing is my grandmother used to eat raw bacon too - and she died when I was 3 and lived in another country so there is no way I would have know that - freaky!

I used to love Kraft dinner with cut up hotdogs and smothered in ketchup - now I don't like any of those foods.

Ilene
02-26-2006, 12:28 AM
OMG Mauv I almost gagged when I read that :barf:... BUT on the other hand I used to eat raw hamburg :barf: :barf: ... I shudder at the thought!!

Misti in Seattle
02-26-2006, 12:42 AM
Erin, I grew up in Missouri and we did the peanuts in Coke thing too... very popular. Doesn't sound all that appealing now though.

Dance

BerkshireGrl
02-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Wot? Cheese & jam TOGETHER?! Peanut butter & cheese sandwiches?

Madness! :lol:

But cinnamon sugar buttered toast, hey, I eat that sometimes now and I'm 34! Besmirch not the CS toast!

Freaky kid food:

When my mom was away, my dad would make Kraft Dinner with the cut-up hot dogs! Rock on! And ketchup at the table we could add and mix in. We even got real black tea with milk and Sweet & Low, whoiieee, we were flying high on carbs and caffeine!

Another Dad creation: If not the mac-n-cheese goodness, it was a giant egg stir-fry that started out as an omelette, with red and green peppers mixed in, and tomatoes too I think. Looked like something the dog might have recycled but it was tasty!

Weird stuff I used to eat:

Coke mixed with milk. It curdles and looks so nasty, but it is very tasty. I tried to get my dad to drink this but he refused to try it... and this from a guy who as a young bachelor, lived on soup made from chicken necks, and drank Kool-Aid with dinner to save money :p

Pickled herring in cream sauce or vinegar - delicacy at my grandmother's house on holidays

Spam omelettes, once you make the Spam nice and seared, fold it in. Mmmm. Heart attack rise and shine!

I'm sure there is more but I think the cholesterol is blocking my neurons. :lol:

christineu
02-26-2006, 10:38 AM
I use to love when I would have that cheap, pressed, packaged ham on white bread (plain, no crust) & cheese puffs in my bag lunch as a kid- I would take strips of the sandwich and wrap them around the cheese puff. I thought it was so good at the time, and now I can't even stand plain, mushy white bread & forget about that pressed ham...still like cheese puffs occasionally though ;)

When I did my internship in Ireland, I got hooked on putting potato chips on sandwiches- onion & cheddar of course. I thought it was so strange when I first saw people doing it; but when I finally tried it, I had to admit it tasted pretty good- and in reality, I ate less potato chips then if I ate them on the side.

My mom had some pretty strange foods she ate as kid, including milk toast- which she still has any time she gets an upset stomach (UGHHH!). The other really strange one is they use to put vinegar & sugar in water to rehydrate when they worked in the fields. Mom is 79 & grew up on potato farms and back then I guess that was a precursor of Gatorade or something.

BerkshireGrl
02-26-2006, 06:45 PM
This thread is really fun to read! :) Boy, some of the different combos I never ever thought of eating... but which were family's normal habits. Pretty cool!

The anthropologist in me is very fascinated :lol:

The cheese puff/white bread/ham roll-up sounds pretty tasty to me hehehe! Like a grown-up rolled party appetizer almost! ;)

Same with the onion, cheddar and chip sandwich! (I used to make grilled cheese sandwiches as a teen that were loaded with big disks of sliced onion! Bet my breath was awful but it sure was tasty!)

The vinegar/sugar in water as a restorative - hmm! Maybe the vinegar balanced pH and the sugar put back in the glycogen to muscles and liver? Mighta been onto something!

I personally CANNOT drink Gatorade after hearing my dad say it was just "bottled sweat" flavored up. Hurl!

Milk toast... reminds of what my mom made me when I was sick: buttered toast cut into small pieces, topped with soft boiled eggs, then baked for a short time in the oven. Just the warmth of the bread and the salt-sprinkled soft eggs... total comfort food!

Speaking of older relatives eating ways: my grandmother told me that a big treat for her and her brothers and sisters was eating rhubarb out of the garden, and sprinkling salt from a small shaker on it as they went! She said the salt made it much sweeter!

My gut reaction to this was.... UGH!!! :rofl:

DeafinlySmart
02-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Lemon wedges with salt on them.

My favorite is something I'm sure all would like. It was YUMMY.

Can biscuits rolled flat, dipped in melted butter and then cinnamon/sugar mixture. Lay it on a cookie sheet, put mini marshmellows on it, fold it in half and pinch it shut. Bake it according to biscuit directions.

Safiyah_is_Fluffy
02-26-2006, 08:11 PM
here is something, we were poor kids and we got government food,

processed cheese sanwich, we would cut huge chunks of it and smack it on sandwiches

mayo and sweet pickel sandwich

bologna boat, (bologna with cheese on top put in microwave, when microwaved, the edges curled up and made a boat for the melted cheese...

cheez its and ketchup, this i still love although i dont eat it....

lately i have been craving bologna so i bought oscar mayer fat free bologna and some low cal bread with some mustard...mmm

Misti in Seattle
02-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Hey Safiya, I can relate! When I was a kid we lived a few miles from an army base and they were having training and a "pretend war" called Goldfire out in the country where we lived. So there were camps of soldiers all over the place. As soon as word got out that a camp had evacuated it was a huge community race to get out there and dig up the K-rations that they would leave buried! They were not marked as to what they were so we would open up those old green cans and dig into whatever we found... like you, we were poor and hungry! But part of it was just the fun of the hunt LOL.

Two major problems with this... there was no way to tell before you dug which was the canned goods burial and which was the latrine... soo..... good luck!! Also sometimes they were not really gone and started coming back and people had to scat out of there when they were out there digging up the soldiers' food!!! :)

This is true... I swear it!

And hey looks like you have a great start on your weight loss! Good job... keep it up!!!!

Dance

Tampaquillowner
02-26-2006, 10:42 PM
My mom used to make us toast with cinnamon and sugar and also something called "Monkey bread" for breakfast often.
One of my favorite snacks was ritz crackers smeared with cream cheese. I also used to eat cheese right off the block. Not as weird as some but one of my fave's

Ilene
02-26-2006, 11:16 PM
...eating rhubarb out of the garden, and sprinkling salt from a small shaker on it as they went! We used to do that too... I don't like it anymore but I do love sweetened rhubarb like pie :hun:

maegdaeien
02-26-2006, 11:36 PM
I loved ketchup sandwiches, I ate brown sugar straight out of the box... and this is really weird (not the food itself, but the process): I would take a peanut butter sandwich for lunch in elementary school, and I would smoosh it all into the corner of the baggie it came in until it was a tight little ball. Then I'd eat the ball. I have no idea why I did this, but I did it every day!

britomart
02-26-2006, 11:47 PM
I'd eat toast in ketchup.... Just plain toast dipped in ketchup.

The cinnamon sugar toast was another favorite.

We had a German aupair for a while and she'd make us white bread with margerine and then covered with these chocolate sprinkle things.

My dad would make us SOS (S**t on a shingle, for those of us less sensitive), where you'd throw a pound of Jimmy Dean sausage in a pan, crumble it up and cook it, then throw in a box of cream cheese, flour, and milk. Serve on toast and enjoy (I did then, but frankly it sounds gross now).

Wait, why do all of my childhood memories revolve around pieces of bread?? :lol:

MoNewEngland
02-27-2006, 09:57 AM
french fries dipped in a vanilla milk shake

VelVeeta
02-27-2006, 10:13 AM
I absolutely loved cottage cheese when i was a kid, it was made by our local dairy. It is still my favorite. I know that isnt weird but when you are 8, all of your friends want potato chips, and junk and i wanted cottage cheese, i was a little weird.

2frustrated
02-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Mo - :yes: Maccy D's french fries dipped in their ice cream, which was like their milk shakes! :rofl:

Also honey roast ham potato crisps dipped in strawberry fromage frais. :dizzy:

upswife
02-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Peanut butter and banana sandwiches
Fires dipped in any shake (but McD Shamrock or eggnog was best)

And when I was in High school I picked these up

Ranch dressing on Pizza
Cut up apple in cherios or corn flakes

sarahyu
02-27-2006, 01:57 PM
When Mom wasn't around I used to take bologna and throw it directly on the burner and turn on the flame. When the bologna slice was nice and hot with some burnt then I'd make a bologna and mayo sandwich. Mom couldn't figure out why that burner always needed to be cleaned much more often the all the others. It never dawned on me that I should use a pan. But I did know enough to never do it when Mom could see me.

Mom always told me when I was a toddler I'd crawl up on the table and they'd find me with my fingers in the butter stick.

Mom always made rice a dessert. She'd boil up the rice then add a lot of butter and sugar. So good...it wasn't until I went away that I saw that other people ate it plain. Strange people eating naked rice like that. What were they thinking?

I'd also eat marshmellow cream from the jar <gross out coming-look away if you have a weak stomach> until one day Mom yelled for me and showed me the jar. The last time I had eaten it, I hadn't put the lid on tight and a <really-don't read the rest-this is the time to quit> a mouse had gotten in and sufficated in the marshmellow. His little body was half way in and his little tail was sticking out. :barf: I have never been able to eat that stuff since!

Sarah

Less of Lena
02-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Sarahyu, I love the ***Spoiler Alerts!!!***...

But did I look away? Nooooooooo, I just HAD to keep going! :mouse: :yikes: :faint:

Hey, you warned me, right? :lol:

dalai_lala
02-27-2006, 03:30 PM
mom2cole: oh me too! I had totally forgotten about the sugar sandwiches, but I would do that a lot in elementary school.

-Lala

Angel33
02-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Sarah that is so funny to me.
My older brother and I used to put hotdogs right on the burner. Boy would it make my mom mad.
Despite your warning I continued to read on. I used to love marshmallow cream that is until today. My dad would make us what he called "fluffer-nutters". It was marshmallow and peanut butter on really soft white bread.
Boy did this sure bring back memories. LOL
Thanks for sharing

Leec

LatinaPrincess1
02-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Mine is and I still do it. Cottage cheese as dip for Chips. Also Mayo sandwhics

dalai_lala
02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Here's one my grandma taught me, made them for me almost every day in kindergarten. Mix peanut butter with honey and butter and spread on sandwich bread. It's not that it's gross, but I've never met anyone else who had eaten this. I still crave these from time to time but the sugar/fat content is so high... I just don't keep honey in the house anymore for this reason.

-Lala

zoritsa
02-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Hard salami nuked in the microwave until it was crispy.The smell was horrible,but it tasted soooo good.

I've also done the fries dipped in shakes(chocolate was best),peanut butter and bananas(could never put it on bread though),and miracle whip sandwhiches.

melekalikimaka
02-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Gosh, my stomach is roiling after reading some of the mixtures described before me :lol:

Lala, my dad introduced me to a similar peanut butter mixture, except using pancake syrup instead of honey. I loved it and my son loves it now. I don't eat it much anymore though since I'm watching what I eat... I would if it came with a free pass not to gain weight.

My weird "snack" thing was to eat cake frosting (like Duncan Hines) with a spoon, especially if it was the refrigerated leftovers--cold chocolate frosting was best. My mom took a Wilton's cake decorating class when I was little and I was never interested in eating her perfectly decorated cakes, just the frosting. On the other end of the spectrum, canned sardines in soybean oil, mixed w/mayo (like a tuna salad sandwich)...I don't eat them now, but I did as a kid.

I have some weird snacks that my family members eat:

BIL: spaghetti-o's, heat in microwave until hot, then mix in gobs of peanut butter until melted. Gross! He's also the hot dog, peanut butter and ketchup eater.

8 y.o. niece: a tumbler full of granulated white cane sugar--she's been also known to eat half a stick of butter before getting caught.

Mom: remember those little bottled cream cheese mixture spreads? Her favorite was to mix the pineapple and pimento spreads together and eat them on crackers :barf:

Sisters--a whole can of black olives, not the little can either.

Gotta run and get some Tums...

anyothername
02-27-2006, 04:43 PM
YOOZERS! your niece must be spazing after a literal cup of sugar!

Ugh, my mom like crumbling up graham crackers and pouring half and half over them, like a cupto drink it. Soooo gross.

Oh, and she likes dipping BBQ fritos in microwaved peanut butter.

busker
02-27-2006, 05:20 PM
We used to make "balogna roll-ups." We'd take a slice of balogna, smear half an inch of mayonnaise on it, and roll it up so it was like an eclair made of bologna and mayonnaise. Then we'd make 4 or 5 of these, lay them side by side and make a sandwich out of them.

No wonder I got fat. :p Needless to say, mayonnaise and balogna have BOTH been off the menu for the last 7+ years. :dizzy:

--Janis

britomart
02-27-2006, 05:36 PM
My mom would eat raw biscuit and/or raw frozen pie crust dough dipped in white sugar.... eeew.... she'd also crumble cornbread into a cup and pour whole milk over it, which I guess isn't so bad but the consistency grossed me out!!

DeafinlySmart
02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
How many of us ate koolaid straight out of the pack. It was like that "fun dip" candy, but homemade.

Katie Bug
02-27-2006, 06:09 PM
I would make butter sandwiches and spread gobs and gobs of butter onto the bread. The butter was literally an inch thick! I still crave this sometime, for some reason.

I'd also dip everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - in honey. BBQ chicken, french fries, peanut butter, grapes.. you name it and I probably dipped it in honey!

I'd also mix soda, water, milk, orange juice, and whatever else I could find and drink it. Makes me sick just thinking about it now!

GreatBigMonsterMomma
02-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I've sprinkled salt on watermelon a time or two, but I've never had rhubarb.

My hubby has told of his mom wrapping hard breadsticks in bacon & broiling them. :no: Sadly, he has told this story as a "we should do this" sort of thing. This is also the man who once dumped a cup of granulated Splenda into the spaghetti sauce because his mom used to put sugar in hers. A smilie does not exist to convey the sheer disgustingness of that...

Both of my older daughters have gone through a stage of picking the butter up & eating it.

pixiefalls
02-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I thought I could be one of the queens of weird eating, well, until I found this thread:lol:.

I like the room-temp beans (usually eat them warm now;)) .. I eat raviolios *now* that way!
I eat cereal without milk.
I used to eat mashed potatoes with ketchup or ketchup sandwiches.
Even now I can put ketchup on mac and cheese and like it a lot. I just love ketchup!
I used to eat the bolonga and ketchup sandwiches.
I can eat peanut butter and bananas (well lately bananas are too sweet for me).
I can eat peanut butter sandwiches (jelly is definitely too sweet for me but I love jam!)
I used to put chips on my sandwich which I probably would still do if I ate chips! Chips, ketchup, cheese, and bologna.. just doesn't sound appealing anymore:p.

Mmm.. cheese. Mmm ketchup. I don't think I could eat uncooked noodles though, I like them squishy:lol:. Probably more I'm just not thinking off!!

hoodj0080
02-27-2006, 10:28 PM
These are some awesome stories! It shoudl be a book. I love the spoiler alerts too:)

sarahyu
02-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Kool aid powder-yes! But I made my own flavors by using a sucker I got from the bank.

Cookie dough and bread dough were good too. Shoot, why waste the time cooking them when you were hungry?

Monkey bread from the pop out biscuits rolled in butter and cinnamon-sugar, stuck together and baked with more butter and sugar sprinkled over the top..(who am I kidding? poured over the top drowning the biscuits) MMMMM....I need to stop reading this thread, I'm having cravings for things I haven't even thought about in years. :nono:

Sarah

4myloves
02-28-2006, 05:21 PM
This is not "mine" (really), but I had a friend who ate dry dog food. He always carried a handful of it in his pocket and every now-and-then would eat a couple of pieces.

HungryMonkey
02-28-2006, 07:17 PM
This is not "mine" (really), but I had a friend who ate dry dog food. He always carried a handful of it in his pocket and every now-and-then would eat a couple of pieces.

Ew, that's horrible! I took a bite of a dog biscuit as a child, but it tasted so bad I had to spit it out! The pocketful of dog food has to be the winner (?!?) of this thread!

Misti in Seattle
02-28-2006, 08:26 PM
LOL yah I agree... the dog food trumps them all!

I used to eat lilacs and other flowers... I have heard since that they are poisonous but I am still alive LOL.

Dance

HungryMonkey
02-28-2006, 08:56 PM
I used to eat lilacs and other flowers... I have heard since that they are poisonous but I am still alive LOL.

Dance

...and while we're talking about flowers, honeysuckle and dandelions are also tasty :o

fitgal2
02-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Hey this thread is awesome!

Here are a few of my childhood foods:

whenever we went to swiss chalet, I would use the bread roll that came with the meal and make a chicken and fries sandwhich with Katchup

ants on a log--PB and rasins on celery!!! yum

spam and katchup

beans and hotdogs
fries dipped in milksahes... I still do this with wendys fries and frosty! yummy!!!!

cucumber soaked with salt and vinegar

Misti in Seattle
03-01-2006, 01:22 AM
...and while we're talking about flowers, honeysuckle and dandelions are also tasty :o

You know.... a few years ago I tried honeysuckle when I was visiting family in the country in Missouri... and it was terrible... just plain tasteless. Now WHAT was the attraction back then? :^:

sarahyu
03-01-2006, 09:06 AM
You know.... a few years ago I tried honeysuckle when I was visiting family in the country in Missouri... and it was terrible... just plain tasteless. Now WHAT was the attraction back then?

If they are fresh, the center -the stamen (?trying to remember plant biology) is slightly sweet. Maybe it depends on the time of the year also. When we were kids we'd eat honesuckles when we visited my grandparents in the country (hey, in Missouri also-small world)

My mother gave up planting peas and grean beans because I'd eat them out of the garden raw right off the plants. Mom could not understand why they never grew. ;)

Sarah

MTHead
03-01-2006, 10:14 AM
I loved Kraft singles with mustard squirted all over them. Or mustard on a finger (just squirted out lines on my index finger and licked them off). And pickle juice. And I always used to put more salt and vinegar on "salt & vinegar" flavored chips.

In fact, my mouth started watering just now thinking about the sour snacks I used to eat as a kid.

Jeep Girl
03-01-2006, 10:39 AM
I also love baked beans cold or beans right out of the can. When I was a kid that was a treat cold baked bean sandwiches.
My weirdest childhood snack however was a fried egg with peanut butter sandwich. My friends would turn their nose up at them but once they would try a bite they wanted one to. Also.. I still crave a fried bologna with peanut butter and a slice of sweet onion. Ok I better stop now im getting hungry.

Lynn

Idealperson
03-01-2006, 11:26 AM
I used to snack on the red licorice whips-the long thin strands. I used to tie a knot at the end, swallow it and pull it back up...yuck!

I once tied a salt shaker in our apple tree and used to sit up on a branch and eat apples with salt, while spying on the neighbor boys!

es_angel
03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Here's one my grandma taught me, made them for me almost every day in kindergarten. Mix peanut butter with honey and butter and spread on sandwich bread. It's not that it's gross, but I've never met anyone else who had eaten this.
I did, I did!!! I still have it about once a year. My grandfather use to make me a sandwich with banana, mozzarella and rye bread.

Lucky13
03-01-2006, 03:57 PM
grilled PB sandwich (like grilled cheese, only with PB) - new variation is with cinnamon sprinkled on it

still eat cinnamon toast on the weekends - yummy!

rice crispie sandwich - just two smashed together and eaten...

GreatBigMonsterMomma
03-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Well, my daughters came up with a new one last night:

Put ketchup onto a plate. Dip brownie into ketchup & eat (Linda) or crumble brownie up into ketchup, stir, and dunk your french fries in the whole mess (Bobbie).

ICK! :lol:

Ilene
03-01-2006, 09:57 PM
Well, my daughters came up with a new one last night:

Put ketchup onto a plate. Dip brownie into ketchup & eat (Linda) or crumble brownie up into ketchup, stir, and dunk your french fries in the whole mess (Bobbie).

ICK! :lol:Oh that's so cute!

Misti in Seattle
03-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Sabra.... ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!! :)

jules1216
03-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Talked to my brother and just remebered that we would eat crackers with condiments on them--mayo, ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, peanut butter, jelly or butter. We didn't really mix on one cracker but we had several different crackers with all of the above. I also dipped chips in mayo or bbq sauce.

Misti in Seattle
03-03-2006, 01:21 AM
Oh yah we did the crackers and condiments too! :)

GreatBigMonsterMomma
03-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Sigh. Here's another one from my oldest: she put diced bacon into coconut ice cream. :faint: (I swear their diet isn't as bad as this thread makes it sound!)

dalai_lala
03-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Someone might have covered something similar already, but my niece used to eat plain iceberg lettuce dipped in ketchup. Oh, and I had a friend in middle school who would put just mayo on hot dogs. Nothing else just hot dog and mayo. I enjoy my mayo, really, but I find it a bit revolting with hot dogs for some reason....

-Lala

Ilene
03-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Lala, you reminded me that I used to put mayo on hotdogs... My dad used to put mustard on eggs, I did sometimes too ....

Suzanne 3FC
03-04-2006, 12:14 AM
I'd forgotten all about the foods I used to munch on as a kid. My favorite was a bowl of sliced hotdogs with ketchup and a big scoop of piccalilli (a finelly minced red relish) all heated up in a saucepan like a stew. No, Mom didn't feed it to me, lol, it was my own concoction. It was yummy, at least until I learned a little more about hotdogs.

dalai_lala
03-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Ilene - my dad used to put ketchup on fried eggs and it drove my mom nuts. I did it once ('cos I was SO daddy's girl) and she had a fit about him teaching me "bad habits." It's funny how these conversations can trigger memories you had forgotten for so long!

-lala

Misti in Seattle
03-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Ketchup on fried eggs is unusual? LOL I thought it was normal! Although I prefer mustard on fried eggs and ketchup on scrambled ones.

Less of Lena
03-04-2006, 10:35 AM
It's really interesting to see how many posts ketchup appears in... I wonder what that says about us? Or about kids? Or about ketchup...

When he was a pre-schooler, my own DS used to pour himself a big pool ketchup on a plate, stick his finger in and lick it off. The whole plateful. He used to do that with maple syrup, too (thankfully, not both at the same time, that woud be just too gross!). I figured if I didn't nag him about it, he'd grow out of it eventually. Thank goodness, he did, but the phase lasted several months.

I reminded him of it a few days ago after reading through this thread, and I was surprised at the look on his face... nostalgia!!! "Yeah, those were good times," he said with a smile!

Misti in Seattle
03-04-2006, 06:02 PM
When my friend's little boy was just a toddler, he always loved to eat cooked broccoli dipped in lots of ketchup!!!!