General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 199/178/135

Default Bone Marrow Donor

I'm an occassional blood donor and received in the mail today an invitation to join the Bone Marrow Donor Registry. I went to the website, read the info, completed the quiz, filled out and printed the registration form. Next step is sign it (with a witness) and mail it into the coordinator.

Anyway, the thing that struck me is you can't be a bone marrow donor if you weigh more than the maximum allowed for your height and gender. (The reason being increased risks of side effects during the procedure.) So, yet one more reason to maintain a healthy weight.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Wow, I wasn't aware of that! Makes you sorta think...you're doing it for yourself, and the potential to save another person's life!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:51 PM   #3  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Sometimes weight is a factor when adopting, too. I know Korea has a "no more than 30% overweight" policy.

But also, having too much extra weight is a risk in any invasive or surgical procedure. Your body will undergo some stress, and already having significant stress imposed on it from weight isn't going to help things.

--Janis
Old 02-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 199/178/135

Yes...adoption is the kick-in-the-pants that started me back on the path to a healthy weight. China doesn't (yet) have an official weight criteria, but they do consider health (of which weight is a factor) in accepting potential adoptive parents. Also, you have to travel to China to adopt and it's a lot more comfortable spending several hours on an airplane when you can fit properly into the seats. (Not to mention the hotels, transit and other things in China that are made for smaller framed people.)
Old 02-25-2006, 11:23 PM   #5  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Most of China is boiling hot, too, from what I understand. (Especially Guangzhou City). A couple of my friends went there with their sister to pick up their niece, and said it was absolutely brutal in terms of heat/humidity/smog. So being in shape helps you not only deal with the heat and humidity, but makes your body more efficient when delivering oxygen to your body. Not to mention it helps you handle the stresses of sleep deprivation and jet-lag coupled with all the walking; you end up doing a bit better than if you're huffing and puffing and exhausted all the time. Not to mention having your sense of humor probably helps with the whole transition process...

And, if you end up going to Beijing, would you REALLY want to give up an opportunity like climbing up the Great Wall? I understand it's like 18" steps... and lots of them.

I had a tubal ligation 2 years ago, because I don't want biological kids. I dunno... I've always figured if I was going to have kids, I'd adopt them from China or Korea. My boyfriend seems to think that's a fine idea too... but right now, I'm just hanging out worrying about grad school, my weight, etc. And, if the time never comes for kids, that's ok too. Motherhood isn't really something I've felt compelled towards, but I've got a plan if it ever starts bugging me.

--Janis
Closed Thread