General chatter - UV damage/sun beds/sun/tans etc

View Full Version : UV damage/sun beds/sun/tans etc

angeleyezx
02-23-2006, 03:40 PM
What is everyones take on the damage from uv rays.
I am considering going to get a tan from a uv tanning place as I thought it would be a big help in clearing up acne that I get on my butt(cringe) but just make my skin appear better and too see a reall effect as Im losing weight, but Im really into biology and how these things are damaging, my bf said just get a mysti(sp) tan which I think they have something simular here but its very tempory, expensive and wont clear up my skin.

and Then it go me thinking about if I should sunbath to get a tan in the summer because wont I still be just getting skin damage.
I also think I look gd as pale as I am, but I dont want to burn in fl like so many other times and I want to clear up skin.

What is everyones take on this, and what do you think I should do?

hoodj0080
02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
hmm. I'm blonde and white, white, white. I don't know if this helps skin, but i use neutragena sunless tanning foam. Works great, and makes my legs look skinnier. it also bypasses the whole uv ray dilemna. I don't think I helped much, and I'm sorry!

AquaChick
02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Well... it's not good for you in the long run.

Personally, yes... laugh away...., but I would rather try baby cream like Balmex or Desitin instead of attempting to tan them away.

angeleyezx
02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
its cool, I was thinking of using some of that(kinda stuff) as I tan on hol,
is it water proof, how long does it last?

AquaChick
02-23-2006, 04:07 PM
I would say that those creams, since they are nice and thick, are mostly water proof and have to be re-applied after each shower.

I don't think I would wear it into a tanning booth or bed though. You never know how your skin might react, plus I thik they are very picky about what creams and lotions you can or cannot use in a bed or booth because it does something to the plastic peice that rests on the bulbs.

Angel33
02-23-2006, 04:18 PM
I think I'm on the fence on this one. I love to be tan, but who doesn't. It always make you feel a lot better and thinner. About 3 years ago I used to be the tanning bed queen, but in recent years, like you said you just hear all the bad affects of the UV rays. It kinda freaks me out now.
I will tell you that I have had the mystic tan. It did look really good, but it is expensive and it only lasted about a week. I had it done for a weddding that I went to and then again for a formal party.
This may be one of those things you set for your goals. Say you lose an X amount of weight then you can treat yourself to a mystic tan.
Just a suggestion.

plb@m
02-23-2006, 04:18 PM
For acne you should ask your doc for Erythromycin Topical Gel this stuff really works my dd had acne really bad 1 week later ALL GONE !!!!

happytx
02-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Its just to dangerous to risk, a tan looks good, but its temporary, and if you have seen the damage that skin cancer does, well its not, and it can destroy your body, and if you dont catch it fast enough, your face or wherever they have to carve it out, will never be the same, not to mention skin cancer kills. There is a higher risk in tanning beds, ask any dermatologist.

Its hard I know I love a tan as well. I use the jergins glow, I use the dark for my legs, light for my upper body, and love it, its easy to put on, it gets dark slowly and it looks like a real tan. I got tons of compliments, and questions on where I had vacationed last year.

charliekay
02-23-2006, 05:50 PM
i am pro tan,i am a avid tanner,i belive in tanning all the way,i belong to an tanning board on the net here that has wondeful wonderful advice and tips and suggestions on tanning the safe and right way,tanning can be very safe if done properly and tanning beds are a whole lot safer then laying in the sun because its a controlled envorment,less uv rays,and required timing on how long you can lay.please if anyone is interested in tanning please go read the tanning site i have on my public gallery or pm me and i will give you the site name or help in anyway i can.

Linds81
02-23-2006, 06:39 PM
I go tanning occasionally. Personally the way I see it is it's not an everyday thing. I'm not in there for that long, and it makes me feel good and helps beat the February Blahs! I can see it being dangerous if you went constantly for a long period of time. It goes both ways I guess. Do what makes you feel comfortable!

lessthansign3
02-23-2006, 06:45 PM
I've always been very anti-tan because I know that if I keep my skin pale, when I'm 60 or 70 I'll look a lot younger. My grandma on my mom's side never tanned, but my grandma on my dad's side worshipped the sun, and although she's younger my other grandma looks like she's the younger one.

Does anyone know where to buy a good sunless tanning lotion? I'm interested in using that stuff for pageants (my pale skin probably blinded the judges last time!!) but I can't find any in stores around here. Do you look with the lotions or somewhere else?

charliekay
02-23-2006, 07:28 PM
well i say i only live once so i might as well live like i want to instead of being scared of everything.

BeatlesFan
02-23-2006, 07:39 PM
I am pro tanning for several reasons. It makes me feel happier, look better, and it's relaxing. I am not a fair skinned person genetically, but I do take care of my skin and don't overdo it. As overweight people or formerly overweight people we should all know that moderation is the key. If you would like more info on indoor tanning pm my girl charliekay or myself and we can give you some info on indoor tanning, and self tanners.

charliekay
02-23-2006, 07:41 PM
thanks so much beatlesfan.i appreciate the good words.

SmartButt
02-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Most of the people I know that were tanning-bed addicts in their twenties look like dried up leather now and they get mistaken for being much older than they really are. I tried tanning beds for a while, before I went on a couple vacations, because I didn't want to burn, either, and I also was hoping it would clear up my skin. It accomplished neither. The only thing I'd give it credit for is making me look less vein-y in shorts! hehehe

When I feel the need to look more tan for a particular event or occasion, I do the mystic tan thing. I really like the results, but I agree it isn't cheap. My grandfather had skin cancer from too many sunburns on his face, and it was NOT a pretty sight...so I've got some serious issues with too much UV exposure.

I chuckle when I hear people talk about how safe tanning beds are. I remember the first time I dragged a friend to the tanning booths with me and the manager gave us this big shpeel about how careful and monitored everything is and how its "impossible" to get burned. Well, after ONE session for a short amount of time that THEY recommended, my friend had a burn all over and it peeled. Yuck. Luckily, I never had this happen to me.

lessthansign3
02-23-2006, 09:07 PM
If you want to tan, and if it makes you feel better, go for it! It's just not something I would do because I want to keep my skin looking nice for as long as I can. I tried it once and I actually got scared after two minutes!! I wasn't comfortable in there. I burn easily, too, so I was afraid of coming out pink rather than tan.

almostheaven
02-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Mystic tan is no more temporary than any other tan. They tell you that it lasts a week, in reality, it's closer to two weeks. With the beds, you have to spend quite some time in them in order to reach the same level of tan you can get in one Mystic session, and then you have to continue going to keep the tan, as it too will fade.

charliekay
02-24-2006, 10:13 AM
Most of the people I know that were tanning-bed addicts in their twenties look like dried up leather now and they get mistaken for being much older than they really are. I tried tanning beds for a while, before I went on a couple vacations, because I didn't want to burn, either, and I also was hoping it would clear up my skin. It accomplished neither. The only thing I'd give it credit for is making me look less vein-y in shorts! hehehe

When I feel the need to look more tan for a particular event or occasion, I do the mystic tan thing. I really like the results, but I agree it isn't cheap. My grandfather had skin cancer from too many sunburns on his face, and it was NOT a pretty sight...so I've got some serious issues with too much UV exposure.

I chuckle when I hear people talk about how safe tanning beds are. I remember the first time I dragged a friend to the tanning booths with me and the manager gave us this big shpeel about how careful and monitored everything is and how its "impossible" to get burned. Well, after ONE session for a short amount of time that THEY recommended, my friend had a burn all over and it peeled. Yuck. Luckily, I never had this happen to me.

of course you will burn in a bed if you don't know what you are doing! you have to be informend and really noligable about your body and your skin to properly get a great tan,if you don't use a really good moisterizer daily after adn before tanning yes a person will look like leather,if you lay everyday and don't use lotion in the bed u will look like leather,if you don't stay hydrated to keep your skin moist you will look like leather,bottom line is to study up and get informened on what you are doing and you will be ok and have a great tan and won't look 100 at 40,just someone that does not really know what they are doing will have those effects.

nicnacmd7
02-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Most of the people I know that were tanning-bed addicts in their twenties look like dried up leather now and they get mistaken for being much older than they really are.

And thats the truth AMEN!!....lol

charliekay
02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
yes i agree,if you don't hydrate and moisterize you will look just like that.

kykaree
02-24-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm biased. Both my grandfather and grandmother had skin cancer. They lived in a very cold part of Australia where the sun was not nearly as harsh as say Sydney or Queensland. It killed my grandfather in the end.

I can empathise though. I accidentally caught a tan in Turkey and it cleared up my terrible keratosis pillaris on my upper arms. It's slowly coming back now and I really would like to tan.

But really, what's worse, melanoma or acne?? It's a no brainer.

I use Johnson's Holiday Skin, you can buy it at Boots or Superdrug. It's a body lotion with a tanning agent in it, you need to apply it every day or so. But it's lovely, gives a great no streak coverage, and makes your white skin a lovely tan without looking like David Dickinson!!! (UKers will know who I mean ;) )

charliekay
02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
i am in medical school and we learned that tanning beds are really good for keratosis.it has several medical conditions help in it.

lessthansign3
02-24-2006, 02:56 PM
Acne shouldn't be treated by tanning. You should see a dermatologist and get some sort of perscription cream or medication because the results are so much better. I've got a face cream, antibiotic liquid stuff, and I'm on birth control and the combination has really cleared up my skin pretty well. I still have a few breakouts, but at my age that'll happen.

nicnacmd7
02-24-2006, 02:59 PM
also you should avoid sun/sunbeds.when on presciption acne medicine!

AquaChick
02-24-2006, 03:55 PM
lol... yes yes, they are right, go to the dermatologist. :D lol....

Baby cream works on rashes, but they are right go get some real medicine and maybe this will go away for good.

Sometimes these rashes and acnes are caused by bacteria on the skin and can be cleared up forever via proper medication.

*sigh* I'm a momma... I think of cost effective, yet sometimes unorthodox solutions.... :cool:

angeleyezx
02-24-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks everyone for you input :)
I cant say Im gonna go to a uv place or that Im never going to have one done, I guess Ill look into other less concerning methods of tanning and more informations on uv effects.

If I had a uv tan to get my skin used to the summertime usa sun so I wouldnt burn(with aid of protection) wouldnt that be better?

nicnacmd7
02-24-2006, 04:57 PM
yeah.ya know....now because i have lived in the states so long and the summers are so hot, i dont burn, but i tan a lovely tan, with the aide of factor 30.....so yeah once you get that base tan, you tan way easier!!..when i lived in England I would look at sun and burn.our skin was just not use to the rays of the sun!!lol

BerkshireGrl
02-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Tanning can give you skin cancer. That's really the long and short of it.

I agree, it can look nice. It can also make people look like they have been wood-stained :lol:

My dad was a life guard in his teens and twenties. He sometimes wore a hat, and/or zinc oxide on his nose. This was in the 1950s and 1960s. A few years ago, about when he was 60, he got what looked like strange zit bump on the tip of his nose. Didn't go away though, got gradually larger. Turned out to be a melanoma and he had a hunk the size of a pencil eraser carved out of his nose.

Me, I'm pale as a ghost. I am your basic White Girl, with moles dotted on me. I tanned as a kid, I burned as a teen, and I have done tanning beds briefly in my 20s. After a couple months of using the beds, I stopped because I developed new white moles on my shoulders and chest, and a dark raised irregular mole on my right hand.

My sister tans like she is from Italy. It's crazy. She can go lay out in the driveway and come back in tan in a half hour, no joke. My dad too.

My mom is like me, a glow-in-the-dark whiteness.

In my family, I've seen what long-term tanning can do. One of my grandmother's tanned as a young girl through adulthood, and it looked great on her with her blond hair and blue eyes. She didn't get skin cancer but as she hit her 40s and up, and certainly in later years, she looked, well, like a baseball mit that had gotten wet and then been crunched up and baked in the oven to dry. And she was always careful to moisturize like mad. She was a zealot for Oil of Olay too. (But I think once you change the underlying skin layers through UV, no amount of grease is going to change what has happened.)

My mom, who is now 60, has almost zero wrinkles. My dad is quite ruffled up.

So... weigh your options carefully! :) I'd say, based on my personal experience with acne too, that what worked great are: birth control pills (Ortho Tri-Cyclen), and an antibiotic cream. For heavy hitting help, there are the stronger pill-form acne drugs too to consider, like Accutane.

As far as not getting burned, I personally just lather up with the very high SPF lotions, preferably a sport version that won't sweat off that easy. I don't do this every day: I work in an office, and try to stay out the direct sun in summer. But when I did archaeology in college one summer, and was outside all day long baking my butt off in Massachusetts, I wore sunblock... and hardly got any tan lines except a light one where my watch was. I recommend the high SPFs myself but that's me.

Good luck! :D

BerkshireGrl
02-24-2006, 06:23 PM
i am in medical school and we learned that tanning beds are really good for keratosis.it has several medical conditions help in it.

Hmmm... I wasn't sure what keratosis was, so I Googled it, and came up with this site:

http://www.skincancer.org/ak/index.php

and this description:
An actinic keratosis (AK), also known as a solar keratosis, is a small crusty, scaly, or crumbly bump or horn that arises on the skin surface. The base may be light or dark, tan, pink, red, or a combination of these... or the same color as your skin. The scale or crust is horny, dry, and rough, and is often recognized by touch rather than sight. Occasionally it itches or produces a pricking or tender sensation. It can also become inflamed and surrounded by redness. In rare instances, actinic keratoses can bleed.

It looks to me like a tanning bed would really be one of the worst things you can do, considering:
AKs can appear on skin that has been frequently exposed to artificial sources of UV light (such as tanning devices). More rarely, they may be caused by extensive exposure to X-rays or specific industrial chemicals.

One of the treatments is:
Photodynamic Therapy (PDT)
PDT may be used to treat lesions on the face and scalp. Topical 5-aminolevulinic acid (5-ALA) is applied to the lesions by the physician. Within the next 24 hours, the medicated areas are exposed to strong light, which activates the 5-ALA. The treatment selectively destroys actinic keratoses, causing little damage to surrounding normal skin, although some swelling and redness often occur.

Is this PDT what you meant by light exposure? (I'm confused, heh!)

Or another form of keratosis treatment by tanning beds? The keratosis pillaris? I read that it can pop up more in the winter because of less humidity in the air so the skin dries out... As opposed to the summer with more moisture in the air...
(I do know that the sun can help with, say, eczema outbreaks...)

For Kykaree: You may want to read this site:
http://www.keratosispilaris.org/showthread.php?t=2784

A woman writes on it about how she added some supplements to her diet and completely cleared up her keratosis pillaris :)

AquaChick
02-24-2006, 06:33 PM
She didn't get skin cancer but as she hit her 40s and up, and certainly in later years, she looked, well, like a baseball mit that had gotten wet and then been crunched up and baked in the oven to dry.

(But I think once you change the underlying skin layers through UV, no amount of grease is going to change what has happened.)

Whew. I never have been a tanning girl, but I'll be darned if you didn't just convince me to slather up in SPF 45 for the rest of my life....lol...:D

I'm like you. I am as white as paper. Strangely I have black hair and eyes, you'd think I'd be able to tan, but I burn.

charliekay
02-25-2006, 12:13 AM
well what ever ya'll. i will do what i want to myself and so will everyone else in the world,all i can say is get informed completely before judgeing anything.

kykaree
02-25-2006, 02:59 PM
For Kykaree: You may want to read this site:
http://www.keratosispilaris.org/showthread.php?t=2784

A woman writes on it about how she added some supplements to her diet and completely cleared up her keratosis pillaris :)

That was really interesting. I wonder though now whether it's the tanning that has solved my keratosis pillaris (I only did it for a couple of days back in October in Turkey - no sun to speak of in England :D) or my diet. I eat a basically healthy, low processed, low sugar diet now, and have done for a year.

So we will never know. It's quite amazing, as I have had keratosis pillaris since I was a baby, and for the first time in my life, it's gone. Like the lady in that post, I do have some residual pinkness, but it isn't bad, and covered up with a light tanning lotion, you can't see it at all.

I'm sure there might be ways to tan safely, afterall not everyone gets skin cancer. But I have such a strong family history, that I never knowingly take the risk. In Turkey I wore a high SPF all the time, but just happened to tan!!!

Most famous Australians (I'm an Aussie) are pale, Nicole Kidman, Kylie Minogue, Naomi Watts. Tanning has really fallen out of favour there.

BerkshireGrl
02-26-2006, 12:07 AM
I didn't mean to jump on some pro-tanning toes... sorry if I put anyone off.

I admit I am biased after watching my poor dad get his nose gouged like he was a spotty potato.

Sure, I think some people can tan, even a lot, and luck out in the cancer lotto, like my grandmother.

Me, I don't think I'd be one of the lucky ones. I already have new moles I didn't 10 years ago, and I was born with no moles in the first place. Dermatologists have a fun time looking me over and telling me I'm a high risk for burning and therefore cancer.

Thankfully, my ghostly skin goes well with my red hair ;) but I do envy the tan of the species and their golden glow. Guess mine would come out of a bottle too (heh, like my hair!)

It's a whimsical world... and we can all certainly make our own free choices from whether or not to tan, to smoking, rock-climbing, or streaking :lol:

bnbsmommy1
02-26-2006, 08:47 AM
I know it's not good for me but I feel so much better about my body when I tan. It helps cover SOME of the disgusting stretch marks on my body :D I just wish I had my own bed so I didn't have to pay someone fourty bucks a month...that money could be making bed payments!!

Lacey

charliekay
02-26-2006, 04:09 PM
i do have my own bed,but its a base tan bed so i go to a salon to achieve the the darker deeper tan.and i yes i love the golden tan,makes me feel soo much better in the winter when there is no sun to help make the moods better.and in my opinion for me anyway, tanned fat looks better then white fat,just the fat on me anyway.